Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:57 am  Post subject: X-box 2... PC or console?

Site Admin
XBox PC Hybrid May be Next
http://www.megagames.com/news/html/cons ... next.shtml

Quote:
The latest news from Microsoft's R&D suggests that the company may be considering an XBox-PC hybrid as its next-next generation console. Codenamed XBox Next PC, the device would include a hard drive and a built-in fully functional PC and would be able to play PC and XBox games while being compatible with the XBox Live service.

Plans are currently in the consumer feedback phase and market research companies are describing the device and observing consumer reaction to specifications and price points. The focus groups are asked about a device, described as requiring a PC monitor or HDTV and as being backward compatible with current and next-generation Xbox titles. It would also play PC games and include a fully functional version of Windows, CD burner, DVD player (with remote control), built-in access to Xbox Live and a hard drive. That particular version of XBox Next PC would feature both a keyboard and mouse and a standard Xbox controller and would retail at USD 599.

It is clear from the nature of the research that Microsoft may be sniffing around for the best possible combination of hardware and software in order to achieve an optimal (profitable) price. It is no secret that pricing has, so far, been the weak point of the company's current console, with losses increasing as competition has driven the price lower and lower. The results obtained from such market research may not be used for the development of the XBox Next PC itself but may help finalize plans on the development of XBox 2, which is bound to precede any such hybrid effort.

The existence of the XBox Next PC in any physical form is extremely doubtful and for the time being at least, it remains a description on some market research company's projector but Microsoft has made its console PC cross-over intentions clear with the recent announcement of the XNA platform at GDC. XNA will allow developers to create worlds which will include both PC and XBox gamers although the gaming experience will differ for each.

Although the hybrid plan seems a natural progression for a company with Microsoft's expertise, it could create a problem for gamers since they would really have to stretch their imaginations to figure out why they should buy the XBox Next PC and not just a normal, easily upgradeable PC. As things stand now, XBox is often accused of being a low end PC, so Microsoft would have to find some nifty extra features in order to make a console/PC hybrid an attractive option.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:55 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
yes now you all will see its a peecee after all, a cheap one that is....i am not gonna buy this crap...

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:56 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Console are media systems (mainly games but now also music and movies more and more)

PC's are mroe for work, office, programming, gfx applications etc etc

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:23 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
Console are media systems (mainly games but now also music and movies more and more)

Out of all the consoles I've ever seen, that describes three. Xbox, PS2 and the Philips CDI (can't recall any others?).

However, I think that's the way the tables turning and they are wondering why they can't turn a profit on the hardware. The thing is, everyone has a DVD player now, so they'll bung another in the next console and you'll have yet another DVD player (that's not up to the quality of most standalones).

I don't see why they don't skimp and cut that crap out, if they are making a console that is. Then again, if it means making it easier to crack... then I'm all for them putting that shit in :)

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:00 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Quote:
However, I think that's the way the tables turning

I think that is wat is happening as well. Mabey Nitendo will not as they are the ONLY game only company around at the moment.

They are going that way as people are SICK to death of the PC gaming market. Yu just can not leep up a brand new pc will last about 4 or 5 games before you start to get lag and god forbid you try to use on a few years later.

Plus they crash all over the place after a while.

Consoles are cheap, play a range of games, with a garenteed gameplay.. as in if you get a ps2 game it WILL play 100% on ANY ps2.

Servers + Workstation + Consoles.... that will be the split.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:18 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
Mabey Nitendo will not as they are the ONLY game only company around at the moment.

Sorry four! Forgot about the "limited edition" panasonic gamecube:

About the pc --> yeah but the pc games normally rock :mrgreen:

Quote:
Consoles are cheap

Mostly anyway ;) But this xbox 2 thing:
Quote:
USD 599

for a monitorless underpowered pc, that's a ripoff! I don't see how they can sell something like that in good faith... then again pc world seem to have no trouble ripping poor saps off.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:51 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
well give it a sec.. ps2 and xbox both started at $700au when they came out and are now like $300au. (au is a weak dollar sniff)

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:35 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
exactly, and when it comes down to such a price it will be vastly underpowered, not just underpowered as is the situation now with the current consoles.

PS2 launched at ?499.99 but that was bs cos you couldn't get them for buggery and there was a huge markup on them. People were playing ?700+. hehe... I got mine for ?399.99 the day before xmas when it came out because I was a flukey bastard :)

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:30 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
the price for console games thats the rotten apple... it is damn expensive.. a pc game is cheaper to buy... anyway that panasonic gamecube you can get chipped and use normal size dvds on... i hope nintendos next gamecube use normal dvds and can be chipped... then i will buy one for sure....

xbox is just a poor pc media box... xbox has some good shit going when its chipped but its not a game consol system as we know it.... microsoft is as usually damageing the future of real consoles, when xbox become a mulltibox as pc is then we get same problem with crashes and crap not working... its just a fact things should do the thing they are good on...

so pc is going back to the 1980 computer years where they was looked upon as only work horses... what a joke....

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:27 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
it is damn expensive.. a pc game is cheaper to buy... anyway that panasonic gamecube you can get chipped and use normal size dvds on...

No you can't, that was an april fools joke m8 :( A shame, but the only way to play pirate games is to download the ISO, buy a copy of Phantasy Star Online 1 or 2 and a Broadband adapter and stream the ISO via a LAN onto the cube, even then it doesn't always work.

Long winded but the only way it can be done :( I can't find a reasonably priced bb adapter anywhere though, nintendo seems to have recalled em all.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:48 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
nintendo recalled all Broadband adapter??? u 100% sure about that??

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:50 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Rumour has it Nintendo are re-launching the BBA with the release of PSOIII.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:45 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
PC_Arcade wrote:
Rumour has it Nintendo are re-launching the BBA with the release of PSOIII.

w00t... hopefully no patching or refinements will be made.

@d0c, absolutely positive. There's still a few places that sell modems ( @ ~?40-60 [!!] ), but Nintendo recalled most of them and hasn't produced any since PSO2. That's why its very hard to find them at a non-inflated price in the uk. However, you can import em, but tend to be more expensive that they are worth... all it is is a bloody network card. :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:55 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead

leaked picture of the Dev kit for xbox2 (apparently)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:27 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
:lol: Nintendo's Project Dolphin... only on the Xbox :mrgreen: