Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

DO you think that no Backaward compatibilty in Xbox2 is stupid
yes 62%  62%  [ 8 ]
no 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 13
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:00 pm  Post subject: Are Microsoft Mental?

Mod of the Living Dead
According to this link:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_pa ... v&aid=3645

M$ have decided that Xbox2 (xenon) will NOT be backward compatible with the xbox (!)

Good or bad, discuss :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:10 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Not backward compatible is like taking a gun, aiming it at your foot and pulling the trigger :?

But you come to expect that from M$!

Shame really if they do, do that :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:38 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
backwards compatability is totally shit concept to be honest... I never got it as any really decent/wanted feature in the first place.

The only company to do it in the first place was sony, and that was because their launch catalogue was, quite frankly, shocking.

It just isn't needed imo, it never has been and won't be that good a feature. It's totally wasted in the PS2, no one really bothers playing on any back catalogue, and those that actually have a back catalogue have the previous console anyway.

I don't see how "not backward compatible is like taking a gun, aiming it at your foot and pulling the trigger" at all :o As said, its only been done once and even then it was only used because the consoles line up was very week. IMO its a total gimmick, if a console relies on it, then you know you should buy that console at that stage ;)

If its there, it won't be needed if they supply decent games, and if they don't, it isn't worth buying.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:15 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Ah right well I personally would like to still use all my old xbox games on the new xbox and think it would be a good idea to allow that feature!

Games like HALO and GTA3 have fond memories for me so sticking them in your xbox 2 in 5 years time would be good for a retro feel.

Maybe shooting yourself in the foot is a bit extremist, but if it can be done then whats the harm in having the xbox2 play xbox games :beerchug:

It's not like I wouldn't buy on xbox2 unless it played xbox1 games :P

And plus look at the world already opened up by modding xbox1, if they steer well clear of that would be bad.
Like no xbmc/emulation/homebrew stuff would be bad too!

I would very much like to continue the joys of modding on xbox 2 :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:15 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
if it can be done then whats the harm in having the xbox2 play xbox games

That's the other extreme, but with the PS2 the harm was an increased price tag... and you could blatantly see it was to support a weak launch lineup.

If they are confident enough to ditch it, then perhaps we should be pleased, but as said, maybe more to do with piracy ;)

If it doesn't cost anything, of course there's no real harm... I just think its totally unnessacary on any decent console though, and is nothing more than a gimmick really (ie. just as the PS2's 'feature' is). In terms of 'features' its way down the list. For x2 specific, competant control pad design, decent media playing capabilities (not for them but for us 'pirates'), etc. come much higher up my list than a bit of software (or more radically, as with PS2, hardware design mod.) to play games that you probably will never play on.

It just seems that such a feature is gimmicky and is just to support weak software... else it will never get used :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:17 am  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
I hate the idea. I've been holding off on buying Xbox forever because I figured Xbox 2 would be backward compatible. Now I'll have to wait for the price to go down, instead. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:05 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Cough*emulators*cough :wacky:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:52 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
After some second thoughts about this M$ might really be serious about yanking out the HD......(and forcing us to buy overpriced memory cards)

Then again , that might be just what M$ wants everyone to think....

Then again , the above might be just what M$ wants everyone to think....

Some interesting speculation in the sony camp : there might be 2 versions of the ps3 right from launch - the stripped down games machine and an all multimedia station (incuding HD ).....the latter having a hefty price tag....

Then again it might be just what sony wants us all to think

Then again.......ah hell with it....you get it

Ahhh.....chessgames....don't you just love them ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:34 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
i like the idea of two consoles if it means not having to by all the accessories... I mean if they have to bung all that shit in, please don't make it standard, is all i have to say on that matter!

If sony did do two strains it would almost certainly end up as a farse

In Sad news:
Xbox 2 will no longer interface with your VCR, film epic scifi movies, do your homework and provide sexual relief with the usb extension pack.

*breaking news* In what many regard as a huge corporate mistake, microsoft's xbox2 will now also play games. In an announcement that has stunned shareholders and girl guides worldwide, Bill Gates has announced his new toaster-come-dishwasher will now have the ability to play games. "We felt we needed a radical new windows operating system for our machine, and naturally, we were able to change the desktop background of windows XP to display a X...." he continues, " our technicians found by crippling pc architecture they were able to make, what experts call a crap pc, at the fraction of the cost of a small hawian island... and that by utilising the 64kb of free ram, the xbox will be able to render basic graphics that can be strung together to form interactive slideshows".

In an announcement by rival pokemon trading card company, Nintendo, to combat the news, lead leader and lord and saviour of the universe, Shigeru Miyamoto has launched a new ad campaign, entitled " a new mature nintendo", featuring mario on a new tricycle. Shigeru explains the radical new design "well we tooka the standarda mario-san design, and we putta him on Tricycle". Nintendo's share prices plunged 5,000,000,000,000,000 Yen (roughly ?0.0001) leading to below adverage third quarter earnings. Industry insiders remain baffled.

The Sonic Shannty Town had been relocated by police and at this time Sebo Inc are unavailable to comment.