Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:30 pm  Post subject: Microsoft using 'Halo 2' to thwart Xbox hackers

The Ancient One
Microsoft appears to be using its smash "Halo 2" game as a vehicle to crack down on mod chips and other hacks of its Xbox video game console....

read more about it HERE!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:38 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Yeah, IMHO if you want an xbox for live and a chipped, you'd best have 2 xbox's :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:52 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
the costs of an moded chip + bigger hd and othter goodies is big enuff and now you must buy another xbox that is unmodded... i can get a great pc for that price and do all the suff the xbox do and even more...

this is just one more reason to not buy the xbox consol..... the m$ twats can keep it...

buy ps2 or gamecube and support true consol makers...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:56 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
:lol: Or just not play on live

Quote:

err that would work with exception of the inclusion of Sony.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:00 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Oki but sony aint so big twats as M$ is....

All users of the XBL service are paying their subscriptions AND purchasing their games - remember that from day one it has not been possible to use a mod-chip while on XBL which means no game piracy while on XBL. This is pure and simple repression for simply having a modified console even though it was not possible to use the modifications while on XBL, for which membership is paid and games are bought.

Last edited by d0c on Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:02 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I'm really suprised by just how much you people who are so anti the xbox hate Microsoft. So much so that you believe the lies of ANY company that isn't M$.

Look at at the FACTS d0c, in the thread earlier you mentioned paying ?149 euros for the linux kit for the PS2, which you can do on the Xbox for free, add to that the cost of the PS2 and you're at ?300. EXACTLY the same as 2 xbox's one modded for games, divx, emulators etc and one unmodded for Live play.

I assume then d0c that you don't run Windows?

Were you to buy and Xbox and (soft) mod it, you'd cost M$ much more than boycotting their console.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:05 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
d0c wrote:
Oki but sony aint so big twats as M$ is....

All users of the XBL service are paying their subscriptions AND purchasing their games - remember that from day one it has not been possible to use a mod-chip while on XBL which means no game piracy while on XBL. This is pure and simple repression for simply having a modified console even though it was not possible to use the modifications while on XBL, for which membership is paid and games are bought.

Sony have been suing the people who make / fit mod-chips, all M$ do is to ban you from live to stop from having cheats on their gaming service. If you want to use hacked games online, then use xlink Kai, it works with pirated games, mod chips etc and is 100x better than anything the ps2 can offer.

By that token, and their aggressiveness, i'd say sony were behaving like the twats.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:27 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
PC_Arcade wrote:
:lol: Or just not play on live

Quote:

err that would work with exception of the inclusion of Sony.

lol, actually they are all true console makers, but only nintendo are pure console makers if thats what you mean. They are also the only true console game makers, since the other two own companies that make games for them.

But that's unfair since who says you can only do one thing? And if its from a company loyalty point of view, think of it this way; the more a company does, the more they expose themselves to failure, the quicker they die :lol:

Personally, I wouldn't buy gamecube unless you like nintendo games. Although it is cheaper than the rest so that might be incentive. Talking about harsh companies in terms of piracy, Nintendo are by miles the worst. They've been suing people for 20 years, they close down so many rom sites for dead consoles its untrue, they've been suing mod developers and gamecube ripping crews, and are Naziesque of controlling the devices for the GB. Of course there's loads on the market, but I think nintendo is the strictest on piracy by far.

Whilst on the live subject, do you pay for the service PCA? I don't like any internet fees beyond my ISP subscription so I don't really like subscription based games/services...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:32 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Quote:
Whilst on the live subject, do you pay for the service PCA? I don't like any internet fees beyond my ISP subscription so I don't really like subscription based games.

Naah, I've only got one orignal game (and I've only got that to softmod Xbox's), Xlink Kai all the way, it's nigh on identical to live, but free :)

The only thing I pay for over and above my ISP is unlimited newsgroups :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:35 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
i will never ever use money on any m$ product, m$ is a company that just want more and more and try to control everything. xbox is a cheap pc and always will be and its much better to buy an real pc, it can run linux to and much better than the crappy xbox can do ever.... who need xbox games we all know they have the same quality and design look from 1998 and its more a step back than forward, one good game like halo2 dont help. everyone know m$ made xbox becouse of greed... anyway i would gladly give sony my money than a filty greedy m$....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:38 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Err, riiight, so M$ made the Xbox because they're greedy.

Wheras Sony made their consoles as charity??
:roll: that's possibly THE most stupid argument I've ever heard.

And as I asked before, you don't run Windows then d0c?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:57 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
i dont think you get my point here m$ fan boy.... do sony screw their customers/clients? no but m$ do it all the time, and thats what i have been trying to tell you behind the lines here...

have you read what m$ did say when firefox1.0 was out, they did say it was not better than ie.... we that have tryed firefox do know it kick ie's butt anytime... this is just one of them propaganda m$ puke out everyday...

i use windows when i have to but i can asure you it is pirated and i have a legal stolen key from m$... other os i use is amigaos(payed) and mac os x(payed) my main os aint windows but amigaos and macos.... is that an good enuff answer for you?

now lets get back on track and discuss the xbox and halo2 banning.....

:beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:06 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I'm not a M$ fanboy, however I am prepared to look at a product and judge it on it's own merit as opposed to that of the company that makes it :)

I fail to see how M$ have screwed their customers, the way I see it is that as M$ own the live network and don't want Cheats on the network as has plagued PC online gaming, they are entitled to ban people.
For people who want to play online with pirated games or with modified games that enable online cheating Xbox owners have the option of using X-link Kai whi has no checks and you cannot be banned from.

If you hack your telephone for free calls or you uncap your modem (if on cable) then the people who own the network have the right to kick you off, as M$ have done to protect their legitamate customers.I fail to see the issue here. If you ask anyone with a modded console on live I'm sure that they would be the first to acknowledge they were just waiting for M$ to cotton on and kick them off.

BTW, by using a M$ OS, pirated or otherwise, you contribute to the reason why M$ are so big and why they have such a huge market share. M$ would rather you pirated windows than used linux :)

as for the argument that M$ didn't say that firefox was better, why on earth would they?? When Creative launched their Ipod killer (which I can't remember the name of) Apple didn't say "That's better, don't buy iPod, buy creative's thing it's much better" and no company would.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:07 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
BTW as stated before I own a PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Dreamcast, N64, Snes, Nes, Saturn, 2 ps1's, an amiga and 3 or 4 PC's HOW on earth does that make me a fanboy of anything :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:26 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
lol.... no and my argument aint stupid either.. but m$ claim that they do ban ppl becouse of cheating and that is crap talk when you know the ppl that use and play on xbox live do this with orginal games and chip turned off in the first place. so the real issue here is that m$ dont want you do modfiy your xbox.... as usually m$ lie again...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:32 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
As I stated above, it's their servers, they have the right to dictate who does and doesn't connect.

I actually believe the reason stated is true i.e to keep cheats off the network, otherwise M$ are shooting themselves in the foot by stopping revenue streams that they could allow to continue by allowing modded boxes on live.

Saying that M$ are greedy for makin a console and Sony aren't however IS a ridiculous argument, both companies are out to make money, why vilify one over the other?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:47 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
ofcoz they want to make money but sony is only a little player and dont have the same world domination like m$ do. if your as big as m$ it is expected to be fair and dont lie and treat your customer as dirt... it sure make me think twice about their products, and i have come to that conclusion that i will not buy any product or support them. yes i use windows but that dont make them get anything back from my usage, i dont use their silly programs they have included with it either....

now where is the rest of the ppl that should contribute to this xbox discussion, or have we both scared them away :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:01 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Scared ;)

You're stuck with me alone by the look of things :lol:

I really don't see how M$ have lied in this instance, they've always maintained that modded consoles would be banned and now they're making sure they are :)

I wouldn't describe sony as a "little player" either, the PS2 alone bring them revenue of 100's of millions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:43 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I found the most interesting thing in that article to be:

Half-Life 2
PC - VU Games
release: 11/16/2004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:44 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Xbox all the way baby :P

i sold my gamecube and modded PS2 to maxpayne :lol: there's one born every minute :twisted: