Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 669 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:28 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
What does the ftp say when you try and connect into your xbox? Connection refused or connection timed out?

I'd sort out your ips too, 192.168.1.x is an standard, default ip range since your submask will be 255.255.255.0, you'd have to go round setting submasks of 255.255.0.0 for a 192.168.0 to connect to a 192.168.1. That's your router.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:58 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Connection timed out :roll:

I can't see a way to change the ltools ip address so I need to change my PC/homehub ip settings to match the xboxs 192.168.0.3 ip range!

I'll try that and then probably have to purchase a cross over cable!
I've got a linux machine so never connected directly with a cross over before (Only in windows!)

So no doubt I'll have problems there :?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:50 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
The xbox isn't set to 192.168.0.x by the softmod, it's set to 192.168.1.x

as that's my home ip range

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:12 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Yeah my mistake I posted that from work so was going from memory.

The ltools dash is 192.168.1.* & the PCS/laptops on the homehub network are all 192.168.0.*
But I can still see/ping the xbox just can't FTP - very frustrating :matrix:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:55 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
change your subnet on your router. go into where the DHCP is allocated and
a) change your subnet to 255.255.0.0
or
b) put in 192.168.1.x as the allocation range.

Its very odd to not have 192.168.1.x as default, its a lousy move since pretty much universal defaults are 192.168.1.x with subnet mask 255.255.255.0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:15 am  Post subject: Re: Xbox Softmod discussion

Dead But Dreaming
I got lost once you have to add the files onto the xbox. I would have to add Xbox media center and the bug for the games. Could I do this with a flash drive? Just dump the files on the drive and plug it into the xbox and copy the files to the xbox's hard drive?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:51 am  Post subject: Re: Xbox Softmod discussion

Site Admin
no, i doubt it.

ftp has been around for quite a few decades now, largely because its very simple :)

I suspect, if you can't ftp, its because you:
  • A. have an invalid IP; subnet must match, ie if its windows defaults it should be 192.168.1.* and subnet 255.255.255.0. I set my xboxes to 192.168.1.32, 192.168.1.120 and 192.168.1.125, all have a subnet of 255.255.255.0. Type ipconfig /all from the command prompt to find out your pc's ip.
  • B. its not connected to a network; are you connected to a hub or router? If not you must use twisted pair.
  • C. your firewall or av is blocking ftp.

In terms of ftping the files, I'd have to check the pack but when you ftp onto your xbox you'll see /c/ /d/ /e/, etc and you just need to drag the c/ and e/ folders from my pack across:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15024
I hope that thread is clear.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:59 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox Softmod discussion

Dead But Dreaming
I did a bit more reacher and I think ill just buy the action replay for 20$ not to big of a deal. Do I have to plug my lan cable into the xbox to ftp watch movies with xbox media center? What should the internet set up be to do that? I have wirless on my desktop now and my lan into my xbox 360 for live. So I could easily plug the lan into the xbox instead of the 360.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:18 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox Softmod discussion

Site Admin
An action replay, or if you want to save money an official memory card and a cheap usb to xbox pad wire, is needed to copy a saved game to your xbox which boots you into linux. The action replay is only needed to get you to that point. FTP is only needed to copy files to your xbox to install xbmc... once its there you never have to ftp again if you don't want.

I watch movies via network shares, so i'd get your xbox permanantly networked up... it is the best setup imo. Then you leave your movies on your pc in network shares and watch them across the network.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox Softmod discussion

Mod of the Living Dead
Even if you get an AR, you'll still need an official memory card in all likely hood, the AR memory cards are shit and rarely work with the save (although you MIGHT) be lucky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:37 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox Softmod discussion

The Ancient One
PC_Arcade wrote:
the AR memory cards are shit and rarely work with the save (although you MIGHT) be lucky

The Action Replay one I used did the job fine, so don't be discouraged. Worth a try. :wink:

Last Release: The Food of the Gods (1976)
NZB: download/file.php?id=436

Coming Soon: Cat's Eye, The Uncanny, Food of the Gods 2, The Devil's Men, Studio 666.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:11 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox Softmod discussion

Mod of the Living Dead
:beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:15 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox Softmod discussion

Mummified In Barbed Wire
hey im confused about ftp what do i need to do it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:04 am  Post subject: Re: Xbox Softmod discussion

Site Admin
it what way are you confused?

Once you get the grey linux dash, you will see on the left that the xbox is displaying its ip details. You need to now ftp across files that will change the dash, install XBMC (xbmc is the media center software everyone is meaning when they go on about a modded xbox, its this software not the hardware and not any other dash I assure you :) )

So you load up your ftp client and then ftp across the files:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15024

spudthedestroyer wrote:
Download
This file is 69mb big and hosted, do not post a link to this file on any site and do not download unless you need it
http://www.bothanspies.com/xbmc/

Installation
You need to perform the softmod instructions outlined by PCA in the softmod installation thread. After installing the default grey dash (ltools), you should now be able to ftp onto your xbox. By default this is usually host 192.168.1.32 u/p xbox.

FTP both C and E folders in the pack onto your xbox, overwriting if prompted. This should install some apps to C:\ and most importantly copy default.xbe and default.cfg as well as XBMC onto your e:\.

Upgrade
You should be able to upgrade if you have installed from PCA's previous pack. Just delete c:\apps\Xbox Media Center before hand. You must also delete the 0face008 directories in E:\UDATA and E:\TDATA, these are the xbox media center saves and will likely cause errors given the age of the previous pack.

FTP over the folders/drives as mentioned in the above section to upgrade after deleting the old files.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:49 am  Post subject: Re: Xbox Softmod discussion

Mummified In Barbed Wire
i dont know what wire to use it says a crossover cable is that the same as my ethernet cord from my modem to computer? or do i have to order a crossover? and thanks for helping.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:10 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox Softmod discussion

Site Admin
Ah... So you don't have it on the network?

Cross-over cable is used to directly connect two machines to one another. They have the transmit and receive wires 'crossed' so they can do both without a packet switching device.
If you have a hub, router or switch with more than one ethernet port, you do not need a cross-over cable.
The cable between a modem and a computer will not be cross over I wouldn't have thought.

I do not use cross-over cables because I have a network infrastructure (multiple switches and routers).

By the sounds of your description you have:
A cable modem
1x PC
1x straight through cat5

and no other machines in your network? I'd first confirm you have a modem and not a router... if its a router you don't need a crossover cable (there'll be multiple sockets, usually 4 or 5)

You have two options, first is establish yourself a proper network. You can get a router, plug your modem into your router (or most routers are combis in ADSL land), and then plug your pc into your router, and your xbox into your router using standard cat5. Once you've set it up you can leave it and have access to the internet from both your xbox and pc at the same time.
Option 2 is buy a piece of crossover cable, unplug your modem and then use the crossover cable to connect your xbox to your pc. FTP across the files and then unplug it again and restore the original configuraiton. If you want to share things across the network, then you have to keep unplugging and plugging in cables. Not ideal though.

That clear it up? If you have a modem you need a crossover cable, if you have a router, you don't.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox Softmod discussion

Mummified In Barbed Wire
yeah thanks i think im just goin to order a crossover cable for now since i dont got 50 bucks for a router :( oh and another question i got a 80 gig harddrive 1.how do i know if its compatable with the xbox 2.do i switch them before softmod or after 3.how do you switch them just pop it in?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:22 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox Softmod discussion

Site Admin
1. http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list
2. after, you need to unlock the drive first
3. you'll need some different types of screw drivers, but once the top is off its just a normal pc (hence why its so good as a media player). You have to unplug the hard drive and plug the new one in. You'll need to format and restore the filesystem.

iirc you take it out, plug it into your pc, unlock the hdd and back it up, plug your replacement into your pc and restore your previous backup, lock it, then plug it into your xbox.

I have done a formatting and restore on the pc before, but I have no need in replacing the capacity of my hdd since I do everything via network shares and have NAS/PCs serving the files. Its a damn fine solution. Shame you've not got a router :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:28 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox Softmod discussion

Mummified In Barbed Wire
hey just wanted to make sure this is the right cable before i buy it http://www.buy.com/prod/Belkin_Crossove ... 8694.html#

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:38 pm  Post subject: Re: Xbox Softmod discussion

Site Admin
yes it is, its actually over specced since that's cat5e all you need is cat5. However that cable will be fine.