All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:41 am  Post subject: Containers

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
whats everyones take on ogg, ogm, and mkv

yes , no don't understand

just in general do youlike these formats

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:48 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
I don't see a problem with them, since I don't watch my movies on standalones (unlike many).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:09 am  Post subject:

Mummified In Barbed Wire
I use a stand alone (dvp-642) so I'd have to say NO. I have TV-Out as well but using it shuts down my 2nd monitor so I don't use it very often.

At least they're fairly easy to convert although I had an mkv once that was a big pain in the ass..

That being said, if it's a rare rip I'll take it regardless of the audio format :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:36 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I don't use a standalone and I still don't like them. Just because I have to install some additional shit in my system to play them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:16 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
Polityk wrote:
I don't use a standalone and I still don't like them. Just because I have to install some additional shit in my system to play them.

That's what bugged me about it too, but if you get a program that has its own built-in codecs, you don't need to worry about it (VLC has played all my mkv, ogg, ogm files).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:08 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I don't mind them, in fact I quite like them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:32 am  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
The only time that I downloaded a .mkv was when Cube Zero only was available in that format. I was rather anxious too find out what Cube numero 3 would be like so I checked it out. Deleted it as I watched it.

I'll only get it if it's something I'm really interested in seeing and then I'll delete it after seeing. I won't archive it since when I put it on a cd I won't be able too play it on my stand alone anyway.

Other than that .mkv seems to be very much in development. Think Spud has shown a couple of comparisons of avi's with .mkv. .mkv is very smooth missing a lot of detail another reason too stay away from .mkv...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:44 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
MKV IS NOT A CODEC, it's a container, the Cube Zero rip was an Xvid rip within an mkv container.

from the Cube Zero specs
Code:
Runtime: 1:33:27
Video: [b][XVID] 608x336 12bpp 25.000 fps[/b]
mkv:
Audio 0: aac 6 ch, spanish
Audio 1: aac 2 ch, english
avi:
Audio: mp3, english

It's a far more versatile container than avi is as well, allowing for extra material (alternate soundtracks / menus etc) in one file which is MUCH easier to distribute then everything being separate.

This is a contentious issue (for me at least) MKV and OGM have advantages over AVI, the only people who complain about it are those with standalones and people who don't want to install drivers. I fail to see why progress should be halted PURELY to satisfy those using inferior playback equipment.

Standalones are going to have a relatively limited lifespan due to the speed of progress of video codecs, already x264 has proven itself superior to Xvid, when and if rippers move over to that format, your standalones will become useful only for the movies you currently have, it's very selfish of standlone users to try and hold back the progress of codec use / development (as seen with their whining over the use of q-pel and GMC) because they want to sqeeze another few months out of their $60 Divx player.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:20 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I've never d/l anything in those containers so not quite sure how they work.

A lot of stuff I d/l, I convert to DVD to watch on my standalone so I have no idea how they would be converted with 'the usual tools'.

That said, I'd be open to trying them. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:37 am  Post subject:

Servant Of The Dead Donkey
PC_Arcade wrote:
already x264 has proven itself superior to Xvid

The latest Gknot defaults to x264 the first time you load it, should we all switch to that if it's better? Open to suggestions here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:43 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I'd like to, but can you IMAGINE how much moaning there will be ??!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:07 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
also mkv support correct muxing of VBR into the container. AVIs handling of VBR is a hack, and as such can in extreme cases cause problems.

The problem I have with mkv is the prompotion of including everything in one file, and then dumb asses mux in EVERYTHING they can think of without increasing filesize.

If you seriously think 3 dubs fits in a 90min movie @ 700mb, then you need to be shot. Drop the dubbing altogether and people won't always complain about mkv.

Yes, standalones as we know them now are shit, they will be redundant given that most major manufacturers are working on linux based standalones based on the concept of upgradable media centres. It will work out far better than the hard codec, properity standalones we have now.

Quote:
Other than that .mkv seems to be very much in development. Think Spud has shown a couple of comparisons of avi's with .mkv. .mkv is very smooth missing a lot of detail another reason too stay away from .mkv...

Your a tad confused by the fact it was the codec I was complaining about, that being RV10/9, Real Media's crappy propreity codec, not the container. Its just mkv is misused given that it promotes multiple video / audio streams and peoples inability to increase the filesize accordingly.

What you get is a very lowly encoded RV10 movie (which looks crap), then dubs in several languages, etc. When what they really should do is encode with a competant codec, with a single audio stream to ensure quality, then ADD any additional files into the container, beyond a basic quality standard.

That will mean over 700mb mkvs though, but that's really how it should be handled, since people really don't understand the concept of getting the best rip quality possible, rather than ripping everything possible, poorly.

I have no strong adversion to mkv as a container beyond the incorrect promotion of including everything without adjusting specs accordingly is better, and that's not exactly mkv's fault.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:11 pm  Post subject:

Mummified In Barbed Wire
I love my cheap $60 divx player. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:38 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Fuck it, I got BSPlayer, WMP10, media player classic, PowerDVD, and VLC. Between them I can play everything I have ever come across.

BTW, why did none of you sods tell me VLC could play SVCD and VCD str8 from BIN files? All this time I been wasting time mounting with Daemon Tools to watch thru PowerDVD, and all I had to do was associate them to VLC.

I am now feeliong the urge to beat someone up, so line up those Germans and away we go :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:37 pm  Post subject:

Mummified In Barbed Wire
maybe you should start with him: :mrgreen:

Greetings

Germaniac

German and proud of it. :wink:

i don't think god liked it when i stabbed that priest... but hell, the damn bastard was threatened to baptise me!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:38 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
why did none of you sods tell me VLC could play SVCD and VCD str8 from BIN files?

Cos SVCDs are terrible anyway.