Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:36 am  Post subject: edonkey lite

Buried In The Backyard
hello :)

wanted to let every body know about edonkey lite.

check it out its very nice, speeds are great.

download and preview edonkey lite here.

let me know what you guys think. please don't post anything about it if you have not even tested it. thx.

Last edited by THE MANN on Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:10 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
When you have tried it, post, please. It seems interesting, but I'm too lazy to try soemthing new.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:46 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
please don't post anything about it if you have not even tested it

Erm, isn't it just a cracked / registered version of normal edonkey2000 with a couple of plugins? Then if so, people know exactly what its about, since its exactly the same barring a banner ad, and some extra steps taken for you ;)

If so, thx but no thx, edonkey2000 has been pretty much redundant in my book ever since they abandoned the project in favour of overnet, and emule took its place. I'd be interested if there were core inprovements to the inferior edonke2000 application, but its just (improvement as it is) a load of plugins bunged in the standard app, and having used edonkey2000 substantially I know its just not enough to replace emule :(

Although if someone is insistant on using the inferior edonkey2000 application, I know some people like it, its a better package than what you get from the official site of course, since its got all the plugins included. :)

Still, http://www.emule-project.net :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:40 am  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
it has some server limits removed. and some miner chanes.

the new edonkey2000 is overnetv1.0 with option of connecting to edonkey servers also.

now, you name the file i promise you i will get it faster with edk like then you would with overnet or emule.

i use to make ovenet lite.

and i have emule on my pc also.

the reason i like edonkey lite is because it gets me the files much faster then emule.

i'm an old emule user and the reason i say the above its soley because of many tests i have done. i'm not an edonkey fanboy or anything like that.

what i do is test clients and then recommend the fastest one to people.

this one kicks emules butt up and down.

i got tired of those slow speeds and stalls on emule.

edonkey lite will be finnished with a file when emule is still waiting.

at the end it comes down to what you like but in every test i've done edonkey has beaten emule on speed.

no matter what we use its all about sharing so emule or edonkey/overnet we all need to share first and formost

why don't you try it first, its clean, you can uninstall it fully.

give it a bit of time try it and you will see what i mean. its worth the time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:03 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I'm game, I'll try it later :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:22 pm  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
cool so far every body tried it liked it better.

i hope you have the same experience :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:22 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Afraid I am with Spud, ED2K and Overnet were never as good as eMule, hell it was not even close.

TBF eMule's speed is pretty poor too nowadays compared to the likes of BT, I get an average of 400K on BT, can you say I will get that or more with ya lite version of ED2K?

Sounds great in theory, but I have no need to change at the present time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:49 pm  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
you mean like this??

no its not bt but thats because bt is an entierly different network.

the old days of emule being the faster is over from what i can see.

unless emule likes to make some changes right edonkey is faster.

like i said i'm an emule user myself, well xemule user.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:12 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Quote:
unless emule likes to make some changes right edonkey is faster.

Never was for me. eDonkey was always slowest of the bunch, never improved either. Overnet turned out to be a crapper, eMule is where the network will evolve, if it does.

eMule is great for older stuff, but it is not a patch on BT for new shit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:18 pm  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
i used to think the same thing till i tried it about 6 month ago, have not looked at emule since, except for a few tests here and there to make sure its not a fluke.

try it and then tell us about it. i'm telling you edonkey is faster now.

every single time i have tried to test the same ed2k link edonkey has gotten it much faster. every time. that is why i use it now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:23 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Afraid I really do not have any inclination to test it. I do not use the ED2K/eMule network much now, only on very rare occasions.

Show me something that can give me 500K downloads and I will be interested then.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:43 pm  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
did you see my pick??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:36 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
I'm at uni so haven't tried yet, but have you done anything about that tripe of an upload system edonkey2000 has? That's the main reason for my dislike for it, it being closed source project means that its also about as advanced a plankton when it comes to bandwidth utilisation.

I can't really say that normal edonkey2000 was any fast, it has a far lower source count, but occasional a single transfer may go marginly faster.

I'm also concerned about your 'server limits' removed. Can you explain please? As far as I'm aware the server limits are there for a bloody good reason and if you've removed the filelist, connection speed or any other setting of that nature then you've made a leach mod. I can remember back to the days when edonkeybot totally raped the edonkey servers by just hammering them into submission.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:18 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
THE MANN wrote:
did you see my pick??

I would never want a dl/ul ratio such as that.....what is it 25:1? uh-hu, no way. Basing the whole dull argument of p2p exists as one enormous 1:1 ratio, then you are gaining, someone else is providing.

I'll stick with emule thanks or tracked BT files.

On a personal note I never really did get to grips with Overnet or edonkey. Horrid! I'll live with my crappy 1024/128 connection and try; rather than be a leech!! Sorry, whatever edonkey lite is *cough*.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:38 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Just got back from trying it. Its just edonkey... utterly unusable as always. Poor upload and fudged, sourceless downloads. Poor ropey interface, no controls on uploads, struggles with sources for anything but the latest files, etc. I got used to that drill on the other barely changed edonkeys for several years.

Edonkey2000 dropped the ball, refusing further development and now there's many better options now on the network.

I'm sure edonkeylite is a better option than normal edonkey2000 though, but edonkey2000 just isn't a good option period from what I've seen of it.

If someone integrated bt into emule then I'd be very happy, can just use one app then. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:16 am  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Just got back from trying it. Its just edonkey... utterly unusable as always. Poor upload and fudged, sourceless downloads. Poor ropey interface, no controls on uploads, struggles with sources for anything but the latest files, etc. I got used to that drill on the other barely changed edonkeys for several years.

Edonkey2000 dropped the ball, refusing further development and now there's many better options now on the network.

I'm sure edonkeylite is a better option than normal edonkey2000 though, but edonkey2000 just isn't a good option period from what I've seen of it.

If someone integrated bt into emule then I'd be very happy, can just use one app then. :)

imposible please post a link an ed2k link that you say emule has sources for and edonkey can't find. so i can show you edonkey does find.

for some strange reaason you are having the opposite experince as me and every body else. i would like to look into this myself and see what the problem is and if there is a fix, so if you can post the ed2k links so i can test them that would be great.

@killingjokezzz that is not my upload max that is just what people where uploading at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:10 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Right, I tried it too, and whilest it was not disasterous, it was not impressive either.

Found less sources than the mule on the titles I tested, also I could not get my upload above 20K, less than half what it should be.

I have got no more time to devote to this now, afraid that first impressions count for me when I am looking at a replacement for something I already have.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:11 pm  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
well again why not just post the ed2k link that you found less sources with so i can test them myself.

i got both clients.

btw thanks for taking the time to test the client anyways. that was kind of you, most people don't even bother but i have to say every body that did try it so far has seen better speeds with edk lite. except for you guys.

thx for the time anyways :beerchug:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:25 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
every body else.

what bs, actually if everybody refers to numbers its many vs your experience in this thread I'd hazard a bet :lol: Then again, I'm not going to speak for everyone, just what I know.

However, pick any title on this site, I'm pretty sure it was universally inferior at finding sources on anything but sharereactor/high sourced files where it got to the point that both clients were dropping sources. I found less for history of american cinema 10 full vs 2 full, I also added only 10 or so of my downloads from emule, but when things are scaled up to many downloads, I know from experience that emule shows more blues, and edonkey2000 tends to stack sources up on singular files whilst the majority sit there red, all of them except one had less sources when I just booted both up and sat on razorback2, and that one was, as said, a high source count file. I tried uploading and it was terrible, and refused to queue up candyman2, whereas upon loading emule it started uploading straight away and candyman2 appeared in the upload shortly after.

Its a sorry thing when the official client is worse at connecting to the official network than a knock off :lol: Jed killed edonkey a few years ago, which was a shame (btw, check the official edonkey forums, and you'll find the creator also uses emule for sharing :lol: I can remember reading that way back when and had a good laugh.)

I think its your emule installation that has the problem, rather than my edonkey one, simply because both worked, edonkey found sources, it download, it was just slow, poorly made, and totally anti-user ;) If edonkey2000 was the bomb, why did everyone abandon it on mass (i'm assuming you've been around long enough to know all about it) is the question? The reason was because it was then identical to how it is now; less.

The important factor, whilst overnet provided a potentional lifeline, it really wasn't that impressive a protocol, and as such no one used it. Overnet functionality provides burst high speeds only on very, very popular files. It is useless for anything with a lower source count. Edonkey2000 itself is pathetic on source count, it stuggles to find anything at the best of times, it used to be an utter nightmare when it didn't have source exchange (infact, does it even have it now? That might explain why its so poor at finding sources still comparatively), which emule introduced. This is the root of emule's vastly superior source count, it gets sources from servers, and other clients in far, far greater abundance than edonkey ever has been able to acheive. Although there were some tiny improvements, it was far, far too little, far, far too late. Its dwarfed in comparison. Like I said, edonkey2000 seems capable at substaining a singular download at a higher speed than emule for short periods, but its been my experience that generally emule acheives a far higher spread meaning a higher total download, and this is because of its vastly superior source finding. The spread is preferable to me, since ed2k protocol is so slow anyway, that its meant to be left on for substantially periods.

The huge problem, perhaps the biggest, although I dislike the inferiority of practically everything, with edonkey2000 is utterly pathetic upload.. Its truely dreadful. Now some leech/grab-grab people probably don't care about this, of course. Grab, grab mentality is around, and more power to them I guess :roll:, however, I can't give any credit to a program with such a shoddy upload system. I used edonkey2000 back in the day when its upload was turely shit, and I'm being restraint with that comment. It was pathetic at uploading to slots, it was pathetic at sharing in general, and it is truely pathetic for releasing. That's the worst thing for a p2p program to do, punish the sharers. Even still, its barely improved... with the shambles of a upload priority system, that was only introduced as far as I can tell because emule had beat it into submission, and the program faced practically no usage. You can't release on edonkey2000 without running two clients, like you had to do in the 'olden days'. The upload in edonkey2000 is undeniabley shite.

So now we have inferior sourcecount/download and inferior upload, but it goes on.

Visually, its terrible. Its really shockingly flimsy in build. I loathe the look of the client, always have. It looks like, well, I'm not a fan of those flimsy, poor hci clients. Azereus would be the bit torrent equivalent, however, thats a good program since it gets at least one of the two above right. The button clicks are slow and unresponsive, making for a clunky interface. The skinning might be nice if a) it still wasn't so flimsy, slow and crappy in responding b) there was any point to slapping a few bumper stickers on it. In comparison emule uses a more solid standard looking interface, its not flashy, but at least it doesn't look like its going to fall to pieces, its visual layout is impressive on queing, and best of all it responds. That intro screen is terrible too, a bit of feedback on ed2klite would be to remove that altogether. My major feedback would be, the problem is too deep in the app, it needs totally recoding to get anything out of it.

Haven't finished. Features, I don't think I have to say anything because one has arguably too many to possibly use, and one took 4years to add things like upload priorities. Even the none core features (ie. not source exchange, network omptimisations, etc. introduced by emule), download categories alone puts it visually leagues ahead. Plugins was a great idea for edonkey because its closed nature meant its pondlife in comparisons, and the BT plugin was a great idea. I wish emule would have bt integration some day, would save me having to switch clients. The feature void in edonkey comes from it being such a shunned project and refusal to open source.

I've used both clients extensively, but only emule by choice, edonkey2000 I used back in the day simply because there was nothing else.

I still recommend people simply not bother with edonkey2000, particularly for any files on this site since they really are rare. If your complaining about sources and your using edonkey2000, then you've already answered your own question. Just look at the number of times people complain about no sources and then state they are using edonkey in threads, I'm sure you'll be able to find a few. You can download in both, but when it comes to horror movies, releasing and sharing, I can't see why anyone would prefer edonkey2000 besides nostalgia, misinformation or just effort of changing clients. I'm not knocking anyone's usage of it, or the program, I'm just saying its redundant in comparison imo :)

To answer your question, pick a rare/new release from this board at random, one that's only been posted here. Add it to your edonkey2000 client and your emule client, both connected to the same network. Also make sure you set both clients up correctly and have the right ports open on your router. Impossible? You are aware of emule being superior in source count due to its continual development by a large team of developers? And aware of source exchange and other core introductions into the protocol? Its not impossible, its not just probable, its obvious its superior source count is there because its a superior core application. Anyway, if you want to stick with your guns, still try it out. Emule vanilla will be fine for the test, but you could get Pawcio, MorphXT or Neomule for the little test, they all have changes to improve source count using features not present in the official emule client.

As said, I'm not against people using the program, or the program, but I do have a good chuckle at it now and again. As tak said:
Quote:
whilest it was not disasterous, it was not impressive either.

and I'm just not a guy that pussy foots around with second best.

So in summary, please at least retry http://www.emule-project.net . You'll notice the huge community, the vast wealth of documentation, and user mods, I'm sure you'll be able to get higher performance from emule if you work it out.

Take your pick of a link, as said, its pretty universal, try this one:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=7454

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:32 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
erm if your affiliated with ed2klite (I dunno if you are); I just want to make this clear, its a good thing you've made a lite edition and its better than the official. The problem is edonkey2000 is just crap next to emule anyway.

That's pretty summarative of why edonkey2000 has never been great, and why it never will. Its a dead project now in my view.