Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:11 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
X360 HD-DVD external drive hooked up to PC : Instantly becoming cheapest HD-DVD drive for PC

Whoa :o :wacky: ...
Why do I get the idea M$ made it intentionally easy ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:32 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Isn't it time this thread was renamed "Official XBOX 360 thread"?

C'mon it's been almost a year now! :o

Last Release: The Food of the Gods (1976)
NZB: download/file.php?id=436

Coming Soon: Cat's Eye, The Uncanny, Food of the Gods 2, The Devil's Men, Studio 666.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:23 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Just bought one of this things! Really happy with it and playing live every chence I get! :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:36 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Mataesfola wrote:
Just bought one of this things! Really happy with it and playing live every chence I get! :D

Time for a firmware flash ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:09 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
PC_Arcade wrote:
Mataesfola wrote:
Just bought one of this things! Really happy with it and playing live every chance I get! :D

I wanted to, but I´m afraid to loose LIVE... If the rumors become true.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:17 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
can't you just, like, reflash it back if the rumours do become true?

Are you paying for Live and if so, are you nuts? :lol: Get a PC! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:03 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Mataesfola wrote:
PC_Arcade wrote:
Mataesfola wrote:
Just bought one of this things! Really happy with it and playing live every chance I get! :D

I wanted to, but I´m afraid to loose LIVE... If the rumors become true.

Given the fact it's been ~6 months now since the f/w hack first came out and Microsoft have done nothing, it would indicate to me that they either can't or won't

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:21 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
I didn't know you could take the firmware out. :oops:
Anyway, even if you can, isn´t your console already banned from live?
Yap, I pay for live, it´s worth every dime. 6 euros for each month, don´t have to be rich to pay that. The real cost is paying up to 75 euros for each game! :matrix:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:41 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Quote:
I didn't know you could take the firmware out. :oops:

You can and should back up your original firmware

Quote:
Anyway, even if you can, isn´t your console already banned from live?

Microsoft haven't banned anyone from live with modified DVD-ROM firmware on either the xbox or the 360.
Quote:
Yap, I pay for live, it´s worth every dime. 6 euros for each month, don´t have to be rich to pay that. The real cost is paying up to 75 euros for each game! :matrix:

Games = free ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:00 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Ok, I´m almost convinced to give firmware a try. If something goes wrong, I can always blame you guys. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:42 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
6 euros a month? its gone down since i last looked at the prices. Still not as good as free, but then the pc games that rock would suck on a xbox anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:47 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
60 euros=1 year. At least here in Portugal. If you want to play the latest games online with your Pc, you're always updating. Each time you update the Pc (Especialy with graphic cards) it´s almost the price of a 360. I´ll go on playing xbox LIVE. I only use the Pc for working and downloads.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:34 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
60 euros a year is okay, I must have been imagining it, but i'm pretty sure it cost nearly twice that on the xbox 1 originally.

Anyway, yes its only 60 euros, but its 60 euros worth of updates allowing you to play potentionally more advanced games vs. 60 euros paying for a service that should and is free elsewhere.

As for the cost of pc gaming, its only if you look at it from a level where you get anything close to the quality on the cheaper teir of console gaming, and it would be forgetting fact that PCs aren't solely designed for gaming and its a big upgrade you'd get for an xbox360 rrp. A very big upgrade.

If you buy a mid/high range graphics card it's already surpasses Xbox360 in terms of graphical capabilities ala. Oblivion, and the up coming Gears of Wars Port will be testiment to. Most new games i've played on the pc look significantly better than anything i've played on an xbox2 thus far, and its not really that expensive (look at the pc picture thread for the specs and see for yourself, and post yours :) ).

The thing your talking about is if you want to play the wildly powerful updates though, that's going to cost you, of course you have to upgrade if you play them on full spec but they are vastly more complex, powerful and graphicly intense then the xbox360 is capable of. Take a look at a crysis video, for example.

Since my last update, i've been able to play every game at much higher graphical power than i've seen on the xbox360 (yes, gears included :) ).

Its not very rational or fair to say you always have to update to play although i can easily see why people knee-jerk that one (+ the "anti-social" line, and there's a couple of others), you can play perfectly adequetly and at a level superior to xbox360 with not too big an investment I assure you. Its like comparing a PSP to a 360 however, of course the 360 costs more, its far better hardware. ;) However, you don't really get anything else other than gaming, with a PC you've got working, downloading and gaming for the title. In fact gaming isn't even a 'secondary' purpose of a pc, so the price point is incredibly moot if you want to get in a pissing contest about consoles vs pc. Usually people end up taking in unrealistic notions such as the price of games (it doesn't matter, since we copy them anyway), or ignoring that the pc is already there and setup for another purpose.

What might be a good point of interest is the collosal superiority of PC games in terms of gameplay and variety for the price?

For the price, i really don't see a cost-benefit ratio in the xbox360s favour even if it does have a single setup point, but then, all the best games i've played over the previous years have almost entirely been for the PC :)

Across the board, all the consoles are charging far too much for what they have.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:42 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
I´ll give my answer tomorrow I´m too drunk. sorry. :wacky:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:56 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Well, I´m better now. :D I saw your specs, spud, and I might say that my Pc seems equivalent to yours... BUT I tried playing Prey, and it jerks like a 93 year old lady with Parkinson. Maybe there´s something wrong with my configurations, don´t know. Anyway, I´ll stick with the xbox for gaming, for now... Maybe one of this days I´ll try and see what´s wrong with my Pc.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:45 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Quote:
Since my last update, i've been able to play every game at much higher graphical power than i've seen on the xbox360 (yes, gears included :) ).

How are you playing GoW on your PC? It's not even been announced yet (Vista and DX10 exclusive is my bet though :) )

And what frame rates / resolution and detail are you running Oblivion at?
Your PC is older than mine and I seriously doubt you're running Oblivion @ xbox 360 resolutions (i.e 1024x768 or higher) with the same or better detail settings whilst never dropping below 30 fps.

A less biased comparison of Oblivion can be found here : http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6147028/p-2.html

Unfortunately, the only games available on both platforms are PC games ported (seemingly not very well) to the 360. It will be interesting to see the reverse as I'm not sure how a PC (especially a single core CPU based PC) would handle some of the more impressive 360 titles

GoW will be an interesting port for the PC, the controls are so console orientated, that the game will have to be substantially changed to fit the mouse and keyboard.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:16 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Well, the release of the 360 HD-DVD drive has been a typical Microsoft fuck up. :evil:

Most shops didn't have a clue what was happening with the drive for its December 1st release. Stocks everywhere have been pitifully low, all the online stores have sold out on pre-orders and don't expect more until January. Gamestation were allocated 200 units. They have over 250 stores in the UK. :roll:

HMV were allocated something like 450 units.

Fucking typical that you can't even buy an accessory because they can't get their fingers out to provide stock to the retailers in the UK.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:42 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Your kidding right about oblivion? I'm pretty sure it was at 1280x1024 @ a frame rate where i didn't notice any drops whilst playing (I don't go recording them, games either play or it stutters for me :lol:), whilst it was installed (which was much earlier last year), but i fucking hate that game like its lame as predecessors and uninstalled it after a few hours.

As an aside, it was a real shit game, you might have read my critique in the oblivion thread in the pc game section at fileheaven a long while back :outsider: I was hoping they were going to fix all the problems with the previous ones but i didn't notice a single core fix of merit.

Vastly overrated game that doesn't address any of the key flaws in the previous Elder Scrolls games which enjoyed similar short install lifes, and no, Patrick Stewart isn't enough. :lol:

Quote:
GoW will be an interesting port for the PC, the controls are so console orientated, that the game will have to be substantially changed to fit the mouse and keyboard.

In all honesty, my meh-o-meter is off the scale on that one. Its right up there with a port of a halo game. Maybe they can fix that gay ass sticking to scenary mechanism they have though :). I'd rather (and do when given the chance) play on Rainbow Six more than GoW anyway, so my anticipation for a pc port is pretty cold. Xbox360 has games i'm more interest in than GoW, although i can see why its a latch key-kid. Are you even still playing it? (just out of pure curiosity?)

Anyway... i was re-reading this because this has just hit the news about the hardware update:

As i mentioned a while back, the xbox2.2 is appearing more and more like a faster and more capable machine. Another chipset redesign seems to be in the mix, along with HDMI and the more efficient cpu, and a larger hdd. Over the past week the Xbox2.2 is popping its head out of the woodwork :)

There's still big rumours about the inclusion of internal HD-DVD which microsoft has contacted some asian companies about (Toshiba general manager mentioned this last year iirc), but not a lick of it in this leak so that idea might have been dropped as microsoft refuted. Who knows, m$ are lying scumbags and it would seem illogical to not do it. They've denied the 2.2 is a faster machine, they denied it would have hmdi and they denied any other changes beyond the cpu switch (which they've played down, imo to avoid putting people off buying this xmas). Well refusing to confirm, actually, i guess they've not denied it, but anyway...

Quote:
>> Here's a bit more about the news published earlier about the Xbox 360 'Zephyr' prototype with HDMI port. It's the 2nd time a HMDI picture leaked (1st time here if you missed it) and it looks like there are still many people that don't (want to) believe it ... so I guess it's time we come clear because Microsoft doesn't and we think you as customer has the right to know what's coming.
Microsoft still refuses to acknowledge it ... this is what they replied today to several news outlets:
"We have seen all types of claimed leaked photos like this show up online and as a standard policy we don't comment on speculative items."

We managed to get some exclusive High-Resolution pictures for x-scene of a 'Zephyr' prototype with the HDMI port. No, it's no retail Xbox360, it's a prototype board ... but Microsoft had to design a new scaler chip named 'HANA' (replacing the (analog-only?) 'ANA' chip found in current retail and dev Xboxes), I doubt they'll do that effort for nothing. You will also notice several other changes to the motherboard.
Microsoft always refused to answer any question about a possible HDMI-cable for the Xbox360 (even when asked for explicitly), but this HANA chip probably confirms the current 360 can only output an analog signal, so an HDMI-cable for the current 360 probably won't be possible (sure they could design a cable/box that reconverts the analog output to digital, but that makes no sense and is not the point).

Note: we can't tell/confirm you if the HDMI port, 65nm CPU and larger (120gb) HD are linked to each other. They might or might not be released together. The 65nm CPU is coming anyway for all Xbox models (confirmed by MS and Chartered long time ago + delay news). And it's also pretty obvious (with current demand and video marketplace) that MS will release a larger HD sooner or later, this requires no change to the motherboard.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep ... emjZKk.php

So for xbox2.0 owners, this unfortunately means you have a less efficent (2.2 has a newer cooler cpu and updated chipset), with analogue output only (or the post says above) device with a smaller hdd. As it says at the end though, these might necessarily not pop up all at once. I'm still edging my bets to say its most logical to assume that there will be this marked update with HDMI, the new chipset and the new cpu, and probably a bigger hdd. I'm surprised the internal HD-DVD is nowhere to be seen, its just weird. Its kind of a pisser for existing owners, but then if you like the console which I suspect most do, its probably better to look at the hardware getting an update rather than you getting screwed over :)

Here's a forum post:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=577032

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:14 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Whats the difference between the normal and the retard packs for the 360?

The retard pack is ~£137:
http://www.amazon.de/Xbox-Konsole-Syste ... 191&sr=8-2
which includes delivery.

Is it worth it? How much is the premium/normal these days?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:28 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I see you found something on ukhotdeals then :lol:

Not sure how much the big pack is - ~£250?