Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:38 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
sorry, men in black 1 and 2 then. :googley:

Wait till they start doing SEs. Just like DVD, early discs suck balls or at least are way more underwhelming than they should be. ;) That's if your aware what DVD was like back then.... Flippers anyone? :wacky:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:38 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Where's the HD-DVD of Troll 2? I'm not buying squat :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:46 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
lol, well its "too expensive" for the cheap films to go over now, so they skimp on the mastering just like they did with dvd in the beginning. There's a lot of upsamplings, and some of the prints aren't very impressive.

That's why all the titles are either shit new hollywood films or all time best sellers from the DVD generation, either upsampled or from a hdtv tv authoring.

I still think if you purchase now your a crazy money wasting fiend, but then i've bought some crazy stuff in my life too :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:22 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Microsoft are f*ckin weird, they are changing CPU again :?

XBox 360 Getting Smaller CPU

Quote:
Singapore's Chartered Semiconductor has revealed plans, according to Vnunet, to begin manufacturing the XBox 360 CPU using the 65 nm process from Q1 2007.

Microsoft will definitely not call this change an upgrade, in order not to alarm current XBox 360 owners, but it is widely believed that the change in the process will benefit the stability of the X360. The main reason this change will take place is financial as Microsoft will be cutting its cost per console by adopting the new technology.

During the first few weeks following its launch, the XBox 360 gained notoriety for hardware failures while recently Microsoft announced that a specific batch of consoles had proved ...prone to hardware issues. It is not very clear if the lower power consumption and subsequent drop in operating temperature which a 65 nm chip will introduce will be enough to make the difference but any drop in temperature is welcome in any electronic device.

Obviously not afraid of performance and compatability issues, they keep changing their "consoles" (sounds more like a pc which isn't bad in anyway). Probably the right thing to do, particularly since they are going to be releasing with an internal HD-DVD and changing the production method anyway; and they've done it before with a gpus in the xbox1 which i'm still surprised they did.

I guess it costs less per unit, but change in production probably means there'll be an initial increase. Wonder if that will effect potential pricedrops? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:34 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Quote:
particularly since they are going to be releasing with an internal HD-DVD

They're really not you know ;) (at least not yet)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:46 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
You know your gonna look like an cronie when it comes out if you keep denying the obvious :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:28 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
:lol: I'd be REALLY suprised if it's released anytime soon.

M$ keep banging on about the fact that sony are forcing Blu Ray on people and charging a fortune, whereas they are all about choice etc.

It probably will happen, but not for a while IMHO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:03 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
All this reminds me of how sony kept banging on about how evil it was to release two priced tiered consoles, and what have they done? ;)

There's a reason why they are denying it even though they have approached manufacturers about it already. Can you imagine the marketing VP on microsoft, at this moment in time saying this:
"hey you could buy an xbox360 this xmas, or you could wait 8 months and get one with a HD-DVD drive and a better, more stable cpu" :lol:

If they don't deny it its seriously going to cut xmas sales, and with two competitors out they need to not undermine their xmas lineup. i think that explains why m$ is dening the existance of the project. They've got the strongest console, but the fact that if people wait a matter of months they get it with stronger hardware will put people off.

If i owned a xbox360 or was about to buy one, i'd already be pissed about the cpu change, a internal hd-dvd at the existing rrp would just piss me off. Infact, i might buy one if they were on the market now... maybe anyway.

I reckon its going to be Q1 2007 myself, i'd be very surprised if it wasn't. If there's a manufacutring problem it might be Q2 2007, but they'll move to attack sony's PS3 european launch i'd hope. Toshiba said Q1 2007 for the internal model anyway, and then a few weeks back some asain companies said the same thing.

If its not realised by the end of next year, you have my permission to call me a name :lol:

Last edited by spudthedestroyer on Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:08 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I reckon the end of next year will be the earliest to be honest, I'm not denying it will happen at some point, but not yet.

The CPU change doesn't piss me off, I couldn't care less.

It makes NO difference to the end user, it's just a cost cutting (from better yields) move by Microsoft

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:26 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
That's not true:
much lower heat = longer lifespan
Heat is the number one cause of wear and tear, and ultimately hardware failure.

Not to mention its a faster processor which is being capped. If the open source/modding community gets around it that's going to be much better for everyone concerned, so long as its a software cap that is.

I can't agree with you on that one myself, it makes a huge difference to a consumer to have a console that will last longer before breaking down. Well, that's based on the logic that i'm a consumer, and i'd want a cooler, more stable cpu that will mean my hardware isn't going to break down as quickly.

An aside, which is another rumur, which goes in line with the inclusion of hd-dvd internally is that they are going to be apending a HDMI output onto the thing, which means the xbox 2.0 v2.0 will be far more desirable. I'm not sure about the inclusion of the HDMI output rumour myself.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:32 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Faster?? where does it say that?

IF it's faster that'll piss people off

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:10 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
:o
:evil:

*throws his 360 out the window*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:21 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Well the specs for the new CPU are better and its theoretically capable of more; i assumed that microsoft would just be capping it down to ensure there'd be no noticiable system performance, which is pretty much what they said. They didn't say it wasn't faster, just you wouldn't see it as any faster ;). Its not like the difference between switching to a 1Ghz in the xbox one, but its the same concept, its capped in the bios so the xbox 1 games work if you upgrade your xbox. I think the clock speed is the same, or a couple of 100mhz more, but it achieves this running at a much lower heat since its more energy efficient. :)

Its certainly an improvement in every single respect, life span, size, heat, performance, etc. The choice microsoft has made is economical, but its working out for them in all other departments too. I'll look for a whitepaper, there was a side by side chart on one site. There'll undoubtedly be more closer to Q1 2007 when its actually in stores.

I might be wrong though, microsoft aren't exactly forthcoming with information and are desperately trying to not piss off existing owners and not put people off buying this xmas which is vital for them to dominate (I don't think there'll be any doubt that they will regardless).

i don't think I got the wrong end of the stick, and if xbox360 modding gets to the level of the xbox1, then there's no reason your won't be able to uncap in the bios for video playback and get the extra power out of it.

If it turns out it is much better than the existing one, just extend your warranty and then send it back for replacement :lol: I doubt you'll see anythign different running any official software.

On a similar note, i've been thinking of upgrading my xbox 1 cpu. What do you guys think, is it worth it? Just like switching out a standard cpu in a pc? I've only ever seen one running once and i've only ever really read about the gains.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:33 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I've not heard anything about speed improvements on the new CPU, again, I'd be suprised, they changed fabs for the xbox 1 a number of times, but never improved any components.

Upgrading CPU on the xbox 1 is a fucking nightmare, you have to desolder the old chip and resolder in a new SMT cpu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:15 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Anyone downloaded the new FALL system update yet ? :lol:

Would not be in a hurry if I were you, especially if yours is modded

Locked up 360s :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:01 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I have, it was fine for me.

Although the E66 (which relates to a different DVD drive being reported to the one the console thinks it has (i.e some firmware modded boxes) that's being reported is easily fixable.

The E71 error isn't as easily fixed but the update will be fixed today to avoid it (it has to do with not having the older updates applied before applying the new one and only affects new consoles).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:01 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Seems to have created a display problem for users connecting via VGA @ 1080i. Dead Rising, in particular, is reported to suffer a 'tearing' effect where the bottom portion of the screen is out of synch with the top.

I connect through VGA @ 1080i, so I'm not too keen on connecting for that update. :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:19 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
ViSCeRaL wrote:
Seems to have created a display problem for users connecting via VGA @ 1080i. Dead Rising, in particular, is reported to suffer a 'tearing' effect where the bottom portion of the screen is out of synch with the top.

I connect through VGA @ 1080i, so I'm not too keen on connecting for that update. :(

Hmmm... This tearing effect , vertical drag,seems to be present in alot of games @ 50hz in standard resolution.

Or is my 360 knackered ? :o

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:34 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Saint's Row is terrible for tearing, some games are better than others

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:56 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
hmm never found the article with the comparison, I looked togay but couldn't find it. I guess we'll have to leave that as pending until the upgraded xbox comes out and someone gets a look see... unless someone can find the link?

Tearing is a vsynch problem, if your gfx card or the game engine isn't optimised, it doesn't get the rendered frames quick enough. Sounds like capcom couldn't be arsed fixing the engine.