Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:37 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
seen some vids of it, GCOS loads but spits you back to the wii dash when you put in a copied game.

Essentially, the maker of gcos would have to add the drive code for the new wii drive i think. Here's hoping he does for the people who are going to get one ;)

I also was listening to the 1up podcast and they started ranting about console costs, when one of them said its suspected the wii costs $88 to produce. Where the heck have they pulled $250 from for rrp?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:03 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
I've got a wii despite me thinking its a tad much for what it is (and nintendo is making far too much money off its hardware when it would have been better spent on a better) :)

I bought two, so sold one at a nice profit that covered the price of both and a couple of games. Bargain, there's always suckers at launches :)

I'm pretty happy with it actually... i've had console numbness for a long time (intermittently playing the odd game), i don't think the games beyond Zelda are brilliant examples of gaming in general, but the amount of potentional is sky high when the decent developers get some titles out (no offence to any UbiSoft employees :lol: ). The control system works really, really well... its surprising really. Wii sports is an excellent demo of some uses.

There's also problems i can see. The change of controls means that there's less 'usable' buttons on the pad for advanced gamers (i mean i'm used to keyboards), and when i play the wii version of zelda (which is better than the gamecube one :) ), you can't do things like holding the sword behind your back as you charge (on the gamecube you hold B) which was really fun if a little pointless, and charge your sword.

wii sports acts as a demo disk without being incredibly shitty like demos usually are (like the ones you get with launch titles on). Its more like minigames to get you used to the pad. I don't see why they had to be provided on disk, a bit more space inside and they could easily have been built in... a bit of MasterSystem nostalgia, you know... :)

I bought another pad, which is bundled with Wii Play in europe (sucks to be you americans! :lol:), a game that's got a set of games that once again demo the varying possible uses for the remote as a pad. The wii play and wii sports do a hell of a lot to demonstrate possible usages of the pad and as demos (both are bundled with accessories), they are perfect :)

The internet updating system is really cool, i got it monday and then when i woke up on the tuesday it was glowing blue (easily the most stylish console to date btw), which was pulsating. Turning it on revealed a new update and a message from nintendo. The interface is simple and could do with tweaks, and removing some of the backwards feature. Its been a bit of a hit, stuff like the mii's are a great little thing to bung on.

The messaging system is a tad shitty though, it seems to use those incredibly shitty friends codes which are the most idiotic and backwards possible thing i can think of for internet play, which speaking of there's absolutely no presence on the online front. On friday it had notified me that opera was available from the wii store. The virtual console doesn't even have link to the past btw :?

It could be much better of course, luckily, all of the failings and oversights are completely fixable (well not the graphics card situation :(). Nintendo needs an online strategy, and fast. Friends code can be abandoned easily, and i don't understand why they exist... there's a parent control system built into the machine, so why the hell don't they splash up a huge warning and put a big sticker on the front of the box to warn parents about the internet play and they need to lock it out, and then not punish the majority of people who would be playing without restriction. Its baffling. The lack of buttons can be improved by a simple nunchuck update with more buttons.

Its certainly worth nothing, that's for damn sure :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:13 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
oh and i've had very little time to play it which is annoying, it gives you messages about how much you've played every day... need to clock some time over xmas :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:38 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Finally got to play with one yesterday.

Not particularity impressed to be honest, the graphics are terrible, on an HD TV they look really poor (Zelda in particular).

In my opinion, it's a hugely overpriced Gamecube with a new and innovative (but gimmicky) controller.

I only played 3 games (monkey ball, Zelda and Wii Sports), monkey ball is a pale shadow of its former Gamecube glory, wii sports is fun, although I can see it getting tedious VERY quickly and Zelda......

Zelda's a difficult one, the graphics are poor, the left / right reversal is confusing but it's still Zelda but the Wii version is marginally more interesting because of the control gimmicks.

All in all if it was £100 I get one, but at £180 nintendo are having a fucking laugh, especially when you can pick up a s/h gamecube for £20 and Zelda (the only GOOD game on the wii at the moment) for £29.99.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:17 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
@graphics, get a component cable, looks much better on lcd tvs. You get a sharper picture but its still not amazing.
Like the gamecube throughout its life, the only good graphics your going to see are through style otherwise your not going to see anything top of the line. Its like zelda, graphics compared to bioshock ain't going to move mountains, but style always holds its own :)

Monkey Balls is said to be the worst game for the wii btw :lol:

I'd much rather play Zelda on the wii myself, looks better and plays better :) The reverse thing is only confusing if you played the gamecube first, else its a complete non-issue ;) I played the gamecube one first since i had no idea i'd be able to get a wii for so little money (in a round about fashion :lol: ) :) Its far better than marginally imo. :)

All that said, zelda is still a gamecube game in look and feel, the wii sequel they started making after last years e3 according to a couple of reports. That ul probably work more integrated than the current one.

The controls can be viewed as gimmicky that's for sure, or at least new, the thing is that's good. Pads are stagnent and prime for a replacement since they really aren't very good. The reason why i think console gaming is so piss poor is largely around the failings of every single pad for about 30 years. So a completely new kind of bad, good or bad, is a good thing. What's apparant is that its still under going teething, and ubisoft aren't exactly a company that's going whole hog to utilise the potentional. In fact, i'd say only nintendo has put a bit of effort in so far, and we won't see full effort till next year. That said, Zelda is improved by the new control scheme, its much faster and helps a lot on aiming ranged weapons. So although i don't think games are show casing it, i think they'll pop up. It works on the level that its better than using a pad for me. With a pad i just feel like i'm using a shit control system when i could be on my pc, with wii's controller.. (until/unless this wears off) it feels different and fun :)

The thing with the mote is that you've occassionally got to put some effort in to play, its no tiring (unless your boxing! :lol: ), but you've got to pick up the remote and aim, whereas with a pad its an analogue stick you just got to move. That said, analogue sticks are WANK for aiming, so the extra bit of effort isn't that bad :lol:

I don't think you can be sold without sitting down and play many hours of a game. Wii Sports and Wii Play are just demo discs, but with the full titles i've played it takes a while for them to click.

Nintendo is definitely having a laugh with the price, but then, that's all the way to the bank :evil: They'd be mad not to drop the price after they've sold up to the nintendo fans + non-gaming crowd. Well worth what i paid for it though (after "rebate" :lol:)

BTW, the uk action replay doesn't work in the uk wii. Only the new action replay will work in the US wii only. I believe datel are working on an improvement to the uk one to get it to work.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:34 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Monkey Balls is said to be the worst game for the wii btw :lol:

Worse than Red Steel and Happy Feet??!!!

Blimey it's even worse than I thought, that makes 1 good game, and NOTHING else, that combined with Capcom's non development for it makes it even less appealing.

The fact that monkeyball cant be done right despite being a simple game and one which IMHO should have been easy to port to the gimmicky controller is VERY bad sign.

I hope I'm proved wrong, but so far I'm totally unimpressed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:36 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
MUCH worse.

Red Steel isn't brilliant, but it isn't shite either. Its about a 6/10.*

*that's a "meh... lets play something else" but its fun if you don't have anything else :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:41 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
monkey balls can be done right, hence why they are making a real sequel right now. The one you got is monkey balls 2 with no real updates. Its right up there with ubisoft launch titles in the "we don't give a fuck about you people who buy it"-ability. The Monkey Balls 3 is being made by the monkey ball development house rather than being rushed out in a couple of months ;)

I'm not a monkey balls fan, i always thought the games were pretty shite meself (infact i'll borrow your review keyword since i can't think of a better one and call it gimmicky), but i imagine if you thumb through some reviews you'll be able to get the whole background if you want confirmation of that. I think it was 1up tearing it apart in a podcast, when they were saying why console launch titles are always shit.

Quote:
that combined with Capcom's non development for it makes it even less appealing.

Last i heard is that they have at least 3 titles under development, one of them is resident evil: umbrella chronicles. Obviously not the graphical capabilities to do RE5 (by the sounds of it neither do the xbox2 or ps3 easily, its been delayed till 2008 to get the frame rate above 60fps :lol: )

Speaking of capcom, wtf is RE4 for the pc? and why are they so shite when it comes to the pc... handing it over to ubisoft is not cool! :lol:

I can't tell you what the titles are anyway, one is RE: UC which little is known about, i imagine the other two are devil may cry and dead 2 rites or some crap like that. I can't think of anything other than RE these days when people say capcom. I can't think what other franchises they have. They must have some good ones? errr... Street Fighter?

Thinking about the franchises, i don't think its very credible for anyone to claim that any of the big franchises will get their main sequels on a wii. Like RE5, or something like that. You'd be pretty deluded to think its gonna run on the gamecube :lol: I just wish they'd put them on the pc :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:14 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
spudthedestroyer wrote:
I can't think of anything other than RE these days when people say capcom. I can't think what other franchises they have. They must have some good ones? errr... Street Fighter?

Megaman ?

Quote:
Thinking about the franchises, i don't think its very credible for anyone to claim that any of the big franchises will get their main sequels on a wii. Like RE5, or something like that. You'd be pretty deluded to think its gonna run on the gamecube Laughing I just wish they'd put them on the pc

Too be honest, I'd rather play a RE title on a console. prefered a nintendo one. Never could handle it that well on a pc without a good controller.
Probably buy a ps3 for just RE5, like I bought a ps2 for outbreak :wacky:
(Don't worry also bought it for the ps2 only star wars games ;))

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:45 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
The problem with those PC ports are that ubisoft did them, and piss poorly. I mean Alone in the Dark was fine on the pc. Its just lousy ports that's to blame. Action adventure games don't have to suck, i mean take stuff like max payne which has similar control setup now. Its soooooooooooooooooo much better on the PC. In every single way. I hope RE5 costs far too much money to develop that they can't keep it console only, but then Capcom have always been incredibly naive on these matters and treated the pc pretty shitly. Japanese companies only seem concerned with japan, but this is going to crash their market eventually. Konami, etc. already hire westerners to advise on western projects (hence why we get less completely retarded boss names these days :lol: ). At least production costs have meant its coming to xbox360/ps3 at the same time, i just think if this continues its going to do a lot to quell 3rd party exclusives and maybe push developers to the pc as well (unfortunately, its worked the other way round, with games being made for pads :evil:).

Personally, I'd get a xbox2 for RE5. Better console, better games, more value for money. Still very early but it seems pretty hard for sony to dig themselves out of this hole. The game has no exclusivity anymore.

On the wii subject anyway, I wouldn't let anyone delude themselves into thinking this is in the same category as a PS3/xbox2. I know nintendo ramble on saying the same thing and what have you. I'd say its more of a party/arcadey machine, but with some solid fun stuff to do in on single player. Interface is clean, it does what it says it does. I expect there'll be some great standalone epics along the line (if you ignore Zelda atm :) ). You hear these stuff about console wars, well this hardware just doesn't want to take part in that. There's a lot of potentional, just to this point its all pretty much tech demo games. A bit like PSX was come to think of it.

I also think, as always, its far too early to judge whether its going to last or not. Just look at nintendo games, or rather, the complete lack of atm. We've had a gamecube revamp and some arcadey monster truck game!!! That's hardly a nintendo launch... where's Super Smash Bros? Where's F-zero? Where's Metroid? Where's Mario? Where's Mario kart? Really, with the core franchises i'd say nintendo hasn't released one yet so you can make no statement either way on whether the wii is an overwhelming success for nintendo gaming moving forward. Zelda is a great example of a damn good game, being made better. Its just not something you can't do on the gamecube anyway.

Clearly you can't judge whether its going to go virtual-boy based on the launch title because beyond Zelda I can't name you one that isn't completely rushed and is a cash-in. Ubisoft's stuff, as it was at every system launch is a joke. Some of their games were reportedly made in a couple of months. Games after launch don't have this luxury of spurge buying so they'll have to be better or they just ain't going to sell.

Last edited by spudthedestroyer on Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:58 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Lecture on Wii security (with comparisons with GCN):
http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Wii_Hacking

Technical, talks about keys, attacks, etc. Don't bother if your not curious.

Short: (1 and 2 are defined in the video)
GCN exploit 1 can be used to play GCN backups and GCN homebrew
GCN exploit 2 can be used to play Wii backups and GCN backups

Neither exploit can be used to play Wii Homebrew, we need a new exploit.
I guess modchips will be round and about over the next 6 months, i'd think.

The uk <s>gamecube</s> wii can not play the pal AR, but datel are going to replay a new version. I don't think they'll do trade ins.

I'm preparing a list of exploits, tips and tricks like linking up and using the wiimote on the pc (i got a bluetooth keyboard and the same thing works for the wii mote), etc. and copying Miis from websites to your console, etc. If its wanted please speak up or i won't bother :) I figure since they sold out, unless someone got them on the cheap or did some wheeling and dealing like me then no 1 will have one :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:44 pm  Post subject:

Servant Of The Dead Donkey
thankyou, that would be much appreciated

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:07 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
ah, well i'll get gathering some stuff, sites, etc. together then :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:14 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
There's some pretty wild rumours going round about a wii2 in 2-3 years time:
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=42364
etc.

It doesn't sound completely implausible that they'd just used the wii as a stop gap to a real sequel, I mean the things not overly powerful (its a gamecube 2.1), nintendo is making shit loads of money... they don't seem to be backing down from the hardware side of industry either.

There'll no doubt be another 5 DS revisions in that time too :matrix:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:08 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Bio-Hazard news
http://www.nwiizone.com/nintendo-wii/nw ... formation/
Quote:
- The Bio Hazard series on Wii is NOT a side story game, it is a main stream series game
- Story is straight after Code Veronica (so Code Veronica -> BH Wii -> BH4 -> BH5)
- 3 main characters
- Jill is confirmed, 2 others still not confirmed
- Rumours is that Wesker is the other unconfirmed character
- Game system follows BH4

Feedback on my wii. After completing zelda (game is very big, i still have stuff to do which i'll get round to at some point), I played some Red Steel and then its just be intermitten plays on Wii Sports. There's not that much other stuff to do though, so its back to the general console feel. Don't get me wrong, Zelda's something you sit down and play for hours a day for a solid sum of time (more so than most games since its big). After that though, its just for quick plays of wii sports for me. I'd echo my sentiments earlier, I probably would not buy any of the three consoles until they've got a number of games that would occupy your time. Give the wii a couple of months when the mario and metroid games are out and then give it a rethink, it will be better value for money.

I'll see if i can get round to putting up a wii list of hacks and hints i mentioned earlier. Time is a bit of a problem for me at the moment, which is the reason i haven't really been playing my wii lots (I haven't played a single game since november on anything other than the wii just to give it some perspective, and that was Medieval 2: Total War). The message system shows you a complete history of what you've played and for how long, so i can tell you exactly how long i've played for.

oh, and in case you were wondering, i've been playing as hitler in wii sports... I got michael jackson and Chuck Norris too... all three of them look hilarious, you can instantly tell who they are. Nintendo really need to do some work and play up the Mii thing, maybe some kind of Mii-Multiplayer-Online chat thing. I downloaded the mii's via my pc rather than made them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:09 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
Two new hacking tools for the Wii have been released. First of all a new version of Rawdump has been released, it dumps discs around FIVE times faster and does not require the use of DVDInfoPro. Secondly, Erant released the 'Wii DVD' tool. This program enables you to connect up your Wii drive to your PC for 'testing' purposes. A further third file is available, which is a set of images indicating the Wii mother board and disc drive as well as ports.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=13846
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=45932
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=44684

Short -> can dump games but its useless and the dumps are untestable

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:46 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
I wonder why they spend millions on trying to make something hackfree (anything for that matter), usually doesn't even take 6 months to bypass it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:54 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
nintendo clearly hasn't spent millions on making it hack free. Watch the german video of the differences between the gamecube and wii security.

The only thing they've done that majorly different is to sign wii discs, which is why wii homebrew won't be possible via the existing known hacks. However, the two exploits for the gamecube work the same on the wii afaik, so it won't be long before we can play wii backups, gamecub backups and gamecube homebrew. No wii homebrew is a pisser, since it means you can't make apps that use the wii mote.

Hopefully they'll discover some more hacks.

However, nintendo won't have spent millions on making it hackfree, that's for daaaaaaaammmnnn sure, they barely bothered :) But they are riding the profit margin of the hardware, not everyone has that luxury so you can see why the big wigs do :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:23 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
ok, not millions, but you know what I mean don't ya spuddie :wink:

in general I mean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:48 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
changing the password from uppercase to lowercase* like nintendo did cost billions not millions*2

I kind of see the signing of content, and the not making it easy to do a straight copy without a modchip or a crack. You don't want scallies*3 just copying discs since their shitty brains don't equate quality to owning a proper copy. I just don't think DRM, copyright measures that install spyware or shut down your pc, etc. are helpful. They just penalise customers and pirates strip that shit out.

* - that's not a joke btw :lol:
*2 - that was :mrgreen:
*3 - I nearly pissed myself laughing when this think scally had a carry bag with a second hand vhs copy of reservoir dogs he was going to sell to a store.