Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:54 am  Post subject: Booting Gamecube Backups with no mod chip

Mod of the Living Dead
To round off the trilogy of playing backups on your consoles without Modchips, here is the Gamecube tutorial :

Thigs you need
A Gamecube (Hereafter referred to as GC)
Star Online Episode II and III[/url]. NOT the Plus version (hereafter referred to as PSO)
A GC Memory card

Things you will need only once for intial setup
A PC with a NIC card
A GC Broadband Adapter (Hereafter referred to as BBA)
A Cat 5 network cable to connect the PC (or Router) to the GC
[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000086F7J/qid=1110877009/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/026-5746907-1131623]Phantasy

and the following software :
GCoS 1.4

*Items marked with a * are only needed ONCE for the original setup and can be rented / returned to retailer after use ;)

Optional Extras
GC Action Replay (any variant)
Official Memory card (preferably NEVER used)

That's a lot of stuff, It's going to cost a fortune!
If you're finding this difficult or expensive remember Ebay is your friend. EVERYTHING on this list can (at the time of writing) be obtained cheaply and easily from ebay. To give you some idea, the BBA can be found for ~�20 and PSO for ~�10 add that to the fact that the GC itself can be picked up for ~�30 and you can get EVERYTHING except the PC and the GC in the list above for around �30!

Also remember that you only need the majority of the equipment once, so you could take advantage of a retailers money back policy (*cough*GAME*cough*) or borrow them off a friend, the only real expense here is going to be a memory card and the action replay if you use the optional method

What's it all for?
A quick and simple guide to what all this stuff actually does in relation to playing a backup game on the GC :

PSO will be loaded and will initialise the BBA, the PC will act as a fake game host and use PSO's update ability to send an executable to the GC that enables us to take control and load backups :)

Tell me what to do then

First the setup : the following steps only need to be done ONCE :-

PC setup

Firstly on the PC we need to configure the network so click
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network and Dial-up Connections
in the next window doublie click the Local Area connection
then click Properties, double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

OK, now we need to make sure that we are on the correct domain, there are two ways to do this, if you don't have a network setup already or are using the IP range of 192.168.1.xxx then click "use the following IP address" and enter these values:

IP address : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default gateway : Leave blank

Leave the DNS section blank also, then click OK, OK in the next window and close.

If you already have a network setup which does not use the 192.168.1.xxx range then do the following :
click "use the following IP address" and input the values that you PC is currently assigned.
Then click advanced and under IP Addresses, click Add and add the following:

IP address : 192.168.1.100

Then click OK 3 times and close

PSO Setup
Put your memory card in slot A
Load PSO and press start to bring up the menu, select :
options > Network Options > Provider Option
You will then be prompted to confirm you want to enter the Network provider screen, say yes.
Select "Edit Menu"
then make sure that the following options are selected :
"Manually set IP address" and
"Automatic Disconnection"
then click next and enter the following information:

IP Address : 192.168.1.32
Default Gateway : 192.168.1.100
Primary DNS : 192.168.1.100
Then click next and the game will save the information to your memory card.

on the PC unpack the GCoS Archive to a directory (I'll assume C:\gcos) and open a command window by typing "command" (without quotes) in the start > run box
You will be faced with a dos prompt type these commands, each followed by enter :
Code:
c:
cd \gcos
psul.exe -s

The PC will now await PSO to connect to it.

Using PSO, select Online game on the title screen and follow the onscreen directions to create your character.
After you have created your character and saved it you will be asked to agree to the user terms, say yes.
The game will begin to load and you will see a warp hole type screen. At this point the game is initializing the Gamecube BBA for connection, the GC will then connect to the PC and you should get the following message on the PC :

Saving user info on memory card ...
Done ...

The setup part of this is now complete and you will NOT have to do this again (unless something goes horribly wrong)

Now comes the fun part

We need to use psul again in order to upload GCoS to the gamecube, the easiest way to do this is to create a batch file, so in the GCoS directory make a new text file and name it "loadgcos.bat" edit the file and make sure that the contents read :

Code:
psul GCOS_PSO.dol

double click that file and load PSO on the GC
Select online game
select the character you created earlier and confirm
agree to the T&C's

Again the GC should now be on the warp hole screen, after this has finished the words please wait should appear followed by this screen :
Scroll down until you reach the load backup option and press A
Press A again to start the swap procedure.

When the prompt telling you to swap disks appears, swap your original for the copy and close the lid.

The copy should now boot :)

It didn't boot my copy :(
There are a number of things to try if GCoS will not boot your backup, try the following (from easiest to most tricky) :

1) Change the media you swap with : After GCoS has loaded, remove the PSO disk and replace it with Mario Kart DD THEN do the swap, this worked for me when PSO refused to.
2) Change the media you're burning to, Prodisk s01 mini DVD-Rs work for me, experiment with media until you find one that works for your combination of burner and GC
3) Try removing the lid and using full size media
4) Tweak your laser (I'll cover this soon)

The Action Replay Method

This is the recommended method as it means that you no longer need the BBA, PSO, the PC or the network cable.
This can be tricky to setup though and has only been tested and proven on a Nintendo branded 59 block memory card.

In order to set it up you will need to load PSO with your normal memory card (the one you used above) in slot A and your official memory card in slot B.

MORE TO FOLLOW........

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:51 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
PC Arcade.. are you going to continue with the "more to follow" any time?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:03 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
It's only been 7 months........:lol:

Yeah, I will, I've got no net connection at home at the moment though, so it'll have to wait a little longer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:18 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
cool... I'll like to attempt this asaply so interested in where it might go when this guide is done :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:15 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
So has anyone done this? See that step 2... do yo need PSO for that? Or can you use another game?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:42 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
You HAVE to have PSO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:47 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Yeah i've done it, worked fine. and yes, you need it.

I now do the action replay boot method, so i don't need PSO or a bba adapter to play games anymore. For that you need to use PSO and a bba once to put files onto an official memory card.

You then use an action replay (?10 @ play.com) to boot, then you load a "cheat" (that's the exploit i put on the memory card), which boots into a menu allowing me to boot copied games.

Obviously you don't need a bba and PSO, if you can get someone to do that stage, otherwise you must have "PSO episode 1 and 2" and a bba for any exploit, or use a modchip.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:21 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Is there a new bootloader? I'm using one that's quite old now, but haven't played on my gamecube in a while.

edit:
yes there is, GCOS 1.5 is out. Lots of fixes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:51 pm  Post subject: Re: Booting Gamecube Backups with no mod chip

Site Admin
Destickied as this is now ancient technology...

(I couldn't keep a straight face saying that, since the wii is pretty much a clone :lol: )