Why not register?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:43 am  Post subject: (Old) Official PS3 thread

Demon Of The Abyss
2 Tflops :mrgreen:

1080 P

And not a soul on the planet that has the hardware to display it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Somebody make a more dedicated and unbiased thread than this one :P

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:00 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
oh BTW....

Who's the one going 360 now eh ?
A one size fits all controller :wacky: ?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:14 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
someone put this in english please

PLAYSTATION 3 SPECIFICATIONS

CPU: Cell Processor PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
--1 VMX vector unit per core
--512KB L2 cache
--7 x SPE @3.2GHz
--7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
--7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
--*1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
--Total floating point performance: 218 gigaflops

GPU RSX @ 550MHz
--1.8 TFLOPS floating point Performance
--Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
--Multi-way programmable parallel Floating point shader pipelines
--Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-based processing)

MEMORY
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
System Bandwidth Main RAM-- 25.6GB/s
VRAM--22.4GB/s
RSX-- 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

SYSTEM FLOATING POINT PERFORMANCE:
2 teraflops

STORAGE
--HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
--I/O--USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
--Memory Stickstandard/Duo, PRO x 1
--SD standard/mini x 1
--CompactFlash(Type I, II) x 1

COMMUNICATION
--Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
--Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
--Bluetooth--Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
--ControllerBluetooth (up to 7)
--USB 2.0 (wired)
--Wi-Fi (PSP)
--Network (over IP)

AV OUTPUT
Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI out x 2
AV multi out x 1
Digital out (optical) x 1

DISC MEDIA
CD
PlayStation CD-ROM
PlayStation2 CD-ROM
CD-DA
CD-DA (ROM),
CD-R,
CD-RW
SACD Hybrid (CD layer),
SACD HD
DualDisc (audio side)
DualDisc (DVD side)
PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM
DVD-ROM
DVD-R
DVD-RW
DVD+R,
DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc
PlayStation 3 BD-ROM
BD-ROM
BD

More as it comes .....

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:46 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
LOL this is not that new to us peeps in the trade. Certainly does look good on paper, but MS have a plan on a more grand scale, if they succeed then they will win this generation, but if it fail sit could be disasterous for them.

Time will tell.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:48 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
In the TRADE!!?? I thought you weren't working?? :lol: :moon: :outsider:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:04 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
TaKYoNtheKoRRuPTeD wrote:
LOL this is not that new to us peeps in the trade. Certainly does look good on paper, but MS have a plan on a more grand scale, if they succeed then they will win this generation, but if it fail sit could be disasterous for them.

Time will tell.

TaK, you CAN'T dangle a carrot like that and leave us hanging. Spill it. :lol: (if not here, then in the 'other', more private place ;) )

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:23 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
lol, so what your saying is you work at GAME tak? :lol:
hehe anyway...

oh dear lord, what have they done to the pad? :o

Wow, that looks really bad :o They should have stuck a bumper sticker on their psx pad, they've had it for... what ten years? unchanged beyond slapping extra bits on. They should stick with it if this is what they've come up with :o

Maybe its just me, but do all the new consoles look really butt ugly? The Xbox2 is huge, and now ugly. The pads are a lot better. The playstation 3 is even worse and that pad is...wow... can i say 911 as a description or is that bad taste?

specs look nice though, although i have to say the console doesn't.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:04 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
I think it's a boomerang - ideal for venting frustrations :wacky:

:mrgreen: Master Sony wise he is :mrgreen:

As for the ability to link up to 2 flat screens panorama mode (32:9)....well eh....anyone got a tft to spare :D ?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:07 pm  Post subject: :O did you see that Killzone 2 trailer !?!?!

Demon Of The Abyss
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/kill ... 051605.asx

This is hype right ? no way even 2 Tflop & 256 MBvideoram could shift that ...... or could it ?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:51 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
http://www.torrentspy.com/directory.asp ... &id=295679

No queues for the torrent. Looks very, very cool :)

Of course the hardware can play that. It is not that far beyond current gen at all, although the particle effects are exceptional. It is certainly not "34 times better than PS2" like sony insists the hardware is and the hardware will do that performance no problem.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:11 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
E3 2005: PS3 Price Revealed?
One of the most expensive consoles ever created, according to Japanese reports.
by Matt Casamassina

May 17, 2005 - According a an article published in the May 17th edition of Japan's Mainichi Shimbun, the PlayStation 3 could be one of the most expensive mass-market videogame consoles ever created. Officials from Sony apparently told the newspaper that PlayStation 3s would sell in Japan for "less than 50,000 yen each." That translates to about $465 US dollars.

Sony unveiled its next-generation console at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2005. The beast of a machine utilizes the powerful Cell processor, a custom-designed graphics chip by Nvidia, and 512MBs of RAM for a quantum leap in performance. The system will also be the first-ever to support high-def movie-playback out of the box, taking advantage of the upcoming Blu-ray Disc format.

Sony claims that PS3 will be roughly 35 times more powerful than PS2. If Mainichi Shimbun is correct, gamers will be asked to pay a hefty price for the high-end functionality.

IGN was unable to validate this news with Sony officials. Stay tuned for more as the story breaks.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:18 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Rubbish - after watching it high res I must conclude this is yet another Sony PR scam......

Remember the ps2 launch demos ?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:05 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
no, that really isn't overly impressive. Although i didn't get the sense that it seemed in-game to be frank, i thought it was FMV at first. However, those are easily acheivable and comparable to the Xbox2 movies i've seen in terms of modelling, polygon power... not game effects though, like the smoke and fire. That is very impressive if its in game.

Face and motion capture is proven in HL2. You seen it running on a top end machine? Take a look at some of the screenshots of hl2 @ planethalflife.com from the insane guys with SLI on some beast of a machine and the face looks the same. That isn't overly amazing in current gen specs.

The most impressive bits were smoke, fire and on screen action. However, i don't think its a mockup if that's what your suggesting.

Sony are liars, repetative liars too... remember when they said Toy Story 2 like graphics for the PS2 at launch too? but i think that game graphics are easily acheivable

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:38 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
"Surprise, suprise", looks like the Killzone 2 demo is pre-rendered...

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2249&

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:51 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
oh dear, how sad is that! I guess it was wishful thinking :( I guess that explains why the smoke and fire were actually good :roll: I was impressed by that more than anything, but if its fake, well oh dear for sony. That means they've not actually shown anything really ingame, and that's a bad sign imo.

lol, the fact that it had AA should have given it away huh? Jaggy attack!

btw what is the point of pre-rendering anything these days? FMA beats FMV any day of the weak.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:34 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
@Spud, work at game my arse, I had my own console retail business for a few years, still get all the press releases and trade rags tho. I sorta forgot to tell em I no longer did it.

@PCA, see above.

@DJ, if I told you I would have to kill you LOL Seriously tho, have a look at the PS3 plans for shit like online gaming, M$ are trying to go one better in many respects, but I guess there plans are public domain now anyways so have a look online as I cannot be arsed to type. They are taking a more ambitious angle tho, investing huge amounts in it, way more than they have said previously. 1 interesting thing I did hear about the 360 tho is that the video chat and the like is actually still undecided

Also hearing rumours now that they are going for bust, if the 360 does not become market leader in the next gen they will prolly leave the market after that. Mr Gates wants to be number 1.

The best news I heard was that the Revolution will probably be N's last foray into consoles if it does as shit as the GamePube did, but then again they said that about the Pube. Gotta give N credit tho, they have got a lot of ppl excited, and all they said is the machine will be revolutionary, I spose all the fanboys are whipping up interest in a near dead company?

The DS is quite cool tho, had a go the other day, maybe N should ditch consoles and just stick with the handhelds.

Maybe Sony should do the opposite, that PSP is pants, not impressed by that at all. Thought the bleeder was gonna snap in half, and that screen looks way too exposed. I also noticed the 2 machines I got my hands on for a while had dead pixels, 1 had a few near the edge, not too bad, but the other had a clister of them just off the middle of the screen.

BTW Geezus, that pic is not final, I saw that along with several other concepts, altho it is one of the better ones floating around. Trouble is, how much like a 360 does it look?

Mind you, it is better than the pre-release PS2 I saw years back, that was just in a suitcase sized metal box LOL Mind you that looked better than the final.

I think there are a few trade shows coming up soon, might have to go this year, never bothered last year.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:56 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
We know all that tak, tell us something we don't :lol: :D

If you got a load of pamphlets through the mail that hardly makes you an insider... come on, spill the beans :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:20 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Like I said, what I know is now public domain. I just assumed you all knew, but apparently you did not know until recently.

Gotta say the new controls look gay tho, I much prefered one of the older concepts, these things look like the bat-a-rang. It is confusing me tho, as Sony often stated they too were trying to come up with a "revolutionary" new controller and were ditching the current button layout, looks the fooking same to me tho.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:44 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
As Ken Kutaragi waved the PlayStation 3 in front of the world at E3 and said ?Spring 2006? everyone in Europe and other PAL territories muttered ?Yeah, right? not so quietly.

But MCV understands that Sony insiders do not expect the kind of delay on roll-out that has been seen on previous static console systems and, most recently, the PSP handheld.

Kuturagi gave no further detail on which territories would get the PS3 when - trade speculation settling on a landing outside of Japan and the US by Christmas 2006 at the very earliest and, most probably, March 2007.

But Sony Computer Entertainment Europe now serves a huge market which has edged past the US in terms of PS2 business, and it is confident that a change is coming.

MCV also understands that PSP?s late roll-out here was not for the want of trying. Day and date with Japan for PAL PS3 is unlikely, but a target of September 2006 would still be a huge boost to the trade.

Publishers want to believe, but need convincing. ?The earlier PlayStation 3 gets to us the better, but even spring next year in Japan was a surprise. Here by next autumn? Wow, that?s hard,? said Electronic Arts? European boss Gerhard Florin.

In truth, the UK, European and other PAL markets are unlikely to get a straight answer on launchdate for some time. But there is a determination, driven by Kuturagi at the very top, to avoid any repeat of the agonising wait for PSP.

Also:-

Sony Computer Entertainment has unveiled the PlayStation 3 to the world at its annual pre-E3 conference, with an expected release of spring 2006.

The PlayStation 3 will use Blu-ray discs as its standard media format, which can hold up to six times as much data as current DVDs. It will also be backwards compatible with PlayStation and PlayStation 2 software, support current DVD and CD media and feature slots for a Memory Stick Duo and Compact Flash cards. The PlayStation 3 will also feature a port for a detachable 2.5-inch HDD.

?Empowered by the Cell processor with super computer like performance, a new age of PlayStation 3 is about to begin,? said Ken Kutaragi, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment. ?Together with content creators from all over the world, SCEI will accelerate the arrival of a new era in computer entertainment.?

Multimedia features include Internet access, video chat, digital photo viewing and digital audio and video support. The PlayStation 3 can also be linked to two HDTVs to display at 32:9 widescreen, or with separate functions split between the two screens.

The PlayStation 3 will support up to seven controllers using Bluetooth, as well as featuring Wi-Fi connectivity for the PSP and a further six USB slots for peripherals.

Publishers already pledging support for the PlayStation 3 include Bandai, Capcom, Electronic Arts, Koei, Konami, Take 2, Namco, Sega, Square Enix and Ubisoft, with more to be announced over the coming days.

Dunno if you guys already knew all this, but WTF eh?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:47 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Sony are unbelieveably arrogant to assume that people will wait nearly 18 months after the competitors launch for their POS consoles.