Why not register?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:32 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
LMFAO yeah, what a stoopid tinpot organisation.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:54 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3141034

Quote:
When Sony unveiled the PlayStation 3 at their pre-Electronic Entertainment Expo press conference, the company appeared confident in its hardware, but like rumors surrounding the supposedly real-time technology demonstrations, it appears the hardware isn't completely set in stone yet, either.

At a J.P. Morgan technology conference, NVIDIA's CFO Marv Burkett said the PlayStation 3's RSX (the hardware's GPU) isn't finished, still remains in development, and no silicon of the chip is available yet, reports Bit-Tech. Incomplete hardware comes as no surprise, but it does raise questions about what was powering the demonstrations on-hand at Sony's press conference.

Burkett says the RSX demonstrations weren't actually running on the RSX, but an upcoming NVIDIA high-end desktop product in SLI mode. NVIDIA was not more specific about what type of hardware this entailed.

Stay tuned to 1UP.com for the latest on the PlayStation 3 hardware.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:58 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
A series of recent statements by Sony's Ken Kutaragi may begin creating the impression that Microsoft's latest next-generation acquisition may be the Sony president himself. Mr. Kutaragi, not known for his charm, gave an interview to Japanese economic website Toyo Keizai where he chose to analyze his company's marketing strategy for the PS3 console.

Although it is fairly obvious that Mr. Kutaragi was targeting the Japanese consumer with his comments, the entire world cannot be anything but surprised by them. The meat of the Sony president comments can be summed up in his claim that he wants ...consumers to think to themselves ?I will work more hours to buy one' This would more or less imply then that the higher Sony raises the price of PS3 the more special consumers will feel once they get their hands on one.

It's strange that not many other companies have adopted the Kutaragi model but maybe the solution to poverty would be to start selling PS3 to poor countries, therefore giving the incentive to each family to become wealthy; we certainly hope the G-8 are focusing their notoriously limited attention spans on this bit of news.

So you heard the man, you have just about 9 months to get of your game-grown asses and get working so that you can have the privilege of maintaining Mr. Kutaragi's lifestyle to the levels he has grown accustomed to.

http://megagames.com/news/html/console/ ... rps3.shtml

:lol: Expect the MPAA and RIAA to attempt to copy "work harder, you'll feel better when you buy our more expensive products" marketing campaign :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:27 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I SO want sony to fail dismally this round, the arrogant fucks deserve it

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:42 pm  Post subject: PS3 can't play secondhand games

Demon Of The Abyss
Not that I'd any intention of buying one but if I had then this would have stopped me. I really wish I'd never bought any Sony stuff now, unfortunately I've bought loads of it :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:06 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
isn't this why hackers & modders live ?? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:26 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
A PATENT may allow Sony to ensure that no game would be playable from any console other than the one in which it was first read.

OMG! What if your console breaks? What if you want to play the game round your friends house?

Big Sony is watching you! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:24 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
<sony bot mode ="true">

spudthedestroyer wrote:
OMG! What if your console breaks?

Easy - you would HAVE to let it be repaired - by a official sony dealer :D
I'm sure that there's some official Sony piece-of-hardware that allows to rewrite it's BIOS/bootchip , should your model be a total loss...

spudthedestroyer wrote:
What if you want to play the game round your friends house?

Well if you must , you'll only have to bring along your ps3 as well - Why should sony feel bad about this ? If your friend wants to test a game , let him come over to your house ; if he wants the game he will HAVE to buy it , as a good consumer should..... Borrowing a game for a week is revenue robbery !!! :evil:

All in all , this is good news for sony and the gaming industry ! :D God bless Sony :mrgreen: !!!

<sony-bot mode ="false">

Right now , if you'll excuse me I'm off to jump from the highest building I can find :suicide:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:57 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
they'll work their way round it,remember the dreamcast's gigadisk??they also said you weren't gonna be able to copy it & when they released the PS2 it was said to be unmoddable.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:37 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
gigadisk my ass! :lol: it was a f*ckin cd, nothing else. They just increased the track size of the cd and put junk on to fill up the extra space, however, it was just a plain old cd. Sega lied about what the discs were, there was no security for the dreamcast and why it was cracked so easily... modchipless. Sega did a lousy job, nintendo did a far better job with their minidvdrs, they did the same thing and pretended they were something different but once again, they were bog standard technology. Remember all the bullshit about it reading the disks backwards? :lol: Yeah, nice one shigs...

This is quite different though in so far that they are not saying its uncrackable, which would be a downright lie, they are claimng, if this isn't bullshit, they are taking away basic consumer rights and saying a game can only work on the single console. Very big brotherish, hence my skepticism of the truth behind this.

Take the console with you, hehe... what a joke! lol and get it repaired by sony? :lol: As a consumer, i wouldn't want it repaired, i'd demand a brand new console under warranty, which means they'll have to somehow clone the checksum of the ps3 (which would mean its easy to mod) or just give me brand new copies of the games. That's some hypothetical world where i was stupid enough to buy one of these things of course :lol:

Sounds way too 2001 though, if this story isn't bullshit which it does sound like, sony have proven once again they are idiots and followed fanatically by even bigger idiots. Sucks to them, i have no intention of buying one this round :P Microsoft are the ones that can sway me if there's some value added to the xbox2, or some l33t modding capabilities on par with the first.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:38 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
lol, damn, worst pr you can get:

Xbox is better
http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4363
Quote:
A web page ran by a 3D artist called Josh Robinson who has worked on the development of Sony's Playstation 3 states that the writer and some of his colleagues believe that the Xbox 360 is better than than the PS3.

It seems like the whole world is slowly getting wind of his comments which will no doubt leave him in hot water with his bosses.

He, said, "I?ve spent some time the past year developing for the PS3. Actually it was a cinematic demo to be shown at E3 in 2005 at a closed door viewing. I was one of the few artists selected to work on it for the demo. My job was primarily asset creation. I was creating assets to populate the path where our camera would be flying during the demo. The company I work for is also working on a launch title that I am quite familiar with. In short, I?ve spent some time around the PS3 and or the teams developing for it."

Now I?ve spoken with people who are on the technical side of the PS3. I?ve also talked with people on the technical side of the XBOX 360. The consistent comment I am hearing from people on my end is, ?The XBOX 360 is better?. They are saying that it is capable of just doing more."

According to the web page Josh is a 27 year old with 9 years experience in the field. He said, " I have been very busy this last year trying to make a name for myself within the industry." You can say that again!

Hot water
http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4367
Quote:
Following on from Wednesday's news, about a Sony Artist who had worked on the development of the PS3, we've stumbled across his actual post condemning the next-gen console. Despite website 'Down In Front' deleting the audacious comments they've appeared in Google's cache - we love you Google!

Here is the post in full:

I?ve spent some time the past year developing for the PS3. Actually it was a cinematic demo to be shown at e3 in 2005 at a closed door viewing. I was one of the few artists selected to work on it for the demo. My job was primarily asset creation. I was creating assets to populate the path where our camera would be flying during the demo. The company I work for is also working on a launch title that I am quite familiar with. In short, I?ve spent some time around the PS3 and or the teams developing for it.

I?ve really had to sit here and think for a long time about what my first comment about the PS3 would be. Will I say, its GREAT or will I give it two thumbs down. Well my immediate impression of the PS3 is?where is it? Seriously, where is it? They have a case, a controller and a dev kit. But the system still doesn?t even exist. So what is there to say? We received one of 5 PS3 dev kits in the United States some time ago. Several companies in the US as well as companies over seas were given the daunting task of creating a demo in less than 9 weeks on a first generation dev kit. Now I?ll be honest with you. What most companies do is fake the entire demo. I mean they come up with some great visuals and neat tricks and scripted events. In the end however, its not a real time demo and its not running ON the actual box. We were the only company to my knowledge that showed something that ran it live on the box. Even then it was a scripted event. You could not pause the camera and fly around the scene. So if you saw the demo once, you saw it again the exact same way the second time. Also this was on a brutally early dev box. You could always tell where the PS3 dev box was because it?s the room that had the f-bomb coming out of it half the day.

Lots of time has passed since that demo and the dev box has gone from a totally jimmy rigged computer and box of parts about the size of a small child, to a much more realistic size. Although its still the size of a normal pc. I have been pretty excited about the whole cell processing thing. I am not a very technical person but my understanding of it was pretty clear. (Multiple processors to handle individual events in parallel). Sounds pretty good to me! To hear people talk, you?d thing that a processor revolution was about to happen. So I?ve been pretty excited to say the least. Now in my opinion it doesn?t matter how good the PS3 is. If the XBOX 360 is better, then it doesn?t really matter how the cell processors work or how good they say it is. Realistically one of them will be better over all. Now I?ve spoken with people who are on the technical side of the PS3. I?ve also talked with people on the technical side of the XBOX 360. The consistent comment I am hearing from people on my end is, ?The XBOX 360 is better?. They are saying that it is capable of just doing more. (shrugs) Now take that for what its worth. If you watch all the videos on the PS3 they will say how much more powerful it is than the XBOX and vice versa. Im just telling you what I am hearing. They proceeded to go into a lot of technical info that I don?t understand. So I just nod.

The game that we are creating for a launch title is a ?just get it out? title in my opinion. It doesn?t look next generation. I don?t see how anyone could debate otherwise. It looks good. But it looks good for a game that has come out in the last couple years or so. I mean we are talking about a box that will be with us for the next 5+ years! In 5 years will the games we are making today look good? The only way for that to be possible is if the new games coming out for the PS3 are drastically improved. So good that they can stand the test of time until the next system comes out. We?ve all seen Gears of War for the xbox 360. If that even looks half as good when it comes out then I?ll be floored! The game we are making isn?t even in the same league as Gears of War. In fact there are many current games out that look just as good and are using the exact same specs. So, on our end we are either not pushing the bar or were just trying to ?get a title out?. To be fair, this is a business. Sometimes you have to treat it as a business and not make the best title you can. The best title you can make usually costs 20-40million dollars/3 start overs and 4 years of your life. You just cant do that every time out. Its impossible. Our game just keeps getting moved back?.and back?..and back?..and back. Again, where is the box? Where is the final system? When is it coming out? No one knows and in the mean time people in the industry are starting to get just a little salty. I mean I was at e3 2005 and PS3 was almost no where to be seen.

In closing, I started of VERY excited about the PS3. I was very confident that it was going to just destroy the XBOX 360 just on the name SONY alone. The more time that goes by the more I am becoming doubtful. Everything I?ve developed or seen developed has yet to be ?next gen?. The poly counts are not really any higher, im not seeing sub surface scattering, im not seeing much HDR lighting. (or they are faking it and not really doing it), I?m not seeing next gen fluid dynamics or object dynamics. I suspect that you?ll be able to have more dynamic objects in a scene than before. But im not seeing games doing this yet. We dont have a controller, there is no network code and there is no box. Its still the size of a normal PC. Oh well, at least they have normal maps. Although I?m over the normal maps fad ok everyone!

I?m confident that the PS3 will have a few ?crazy? games that show it off to its potential. But I would expect the full capabilities of the box to not show up until the system has been released PUBLICALLY for over a year. This is the extra time the developers will need with a FINAL system to truly make next gen games.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:32 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Quote:
.....They proceeded to go into a lot of technical info that I don?t understand. So I just nod.

...and I laugh :lol:

Kojima-sam of Metal gear fame has gone on record saying that the ps3 is merely slightly more powerfull... ...in the same interview he commited himself to a future project on x360 too.... (before you try to dicredit him or me....)

Really , isn't there a rumor like this every 2 months now ?

:P I STILL plan to get both eventually :P

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:15 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Its much more frequent, i'd say its more a rumour to say the ps3 is anymore powerful than the xbox360, not the other way round judging by the sheer volume of the comments.

Personalyl, I seriously doubt ps3 is going to be more powerful, and it seems pretty clear that the development kits have been messed up, delayed and aren't very easy to work with. and what with them now coming out and saying they faked all the tech demos, that aint good. Not that xbox360 is what i consider next gen either, looks nice and all but its not really that impressive (pca has one :lol: )

Worst thing is that for a less powerful machine it also seems clear your going to have to pay more money for it form the comments from sony managements

Its probably all going to come down to whether you like western or eastern games, which means there's a strong chance m$ are going to do very well in usa and europe.

At this point in time, there's no appeal to buy a ps3 for me. If i get one its going to be an xbox360 as it stands, unless the ps3 has secretly changed form and specs over the months hidden away from people.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:33 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Sony Not Sure on PS3 Launch Date
http://megagames.com/news/html/console/ ... date.shtml
Quote:
Sony has dropped another opportunity to go on record regarding the Playstation 3 and its launch details at the Taipei Game Show. Instead of revealing a working console or describing hardware or other details, the Japanese electronics giant had a console trapped in a display case accompanied by the hideous controller which, apparently, the company is still hot on.

The lack of PS3 news at the Taipei show has sparked further comments regarding the company's schedule and Sony's Asian boss, Tetsuhiko Yasuda, told the Mainichi Daily News that even Sony itself is not yet decided on the final launch date. The latest assumption behind Sony's reluctance to release the console in spring as initially expected has to do with piracy issues and the company deciding to take some time to protect its product from any danger.

The next stop on the PS3 tour is the Game Developers Conference in March which Phil Harrison is addressing and as a result it is hoped that some PS3 news will have to be divulged.

Playstation 3 Secrets Revealed
http://megagames.com/news/html/console/ ... aled.shtml
Quote:
The first people to have had a look at the new Playstation 3 in action and that can comment on their experience, have spoken and they claim that quality is not that of the Killzone video but is certainly of the same level as the MGS 4 movie recently shown. We are warned however that very few developers will be able to reach MGS4 levels and even they will have to wait some time before they are familiar enough with the machine to reach that kind of visual excellence.

Now that most developers have received their final PS3 development kits, website Kikizo has managed to sneak into some of them and offer us a peek at the machine that will challenge XBox 360 for next-generation supremacy. The account provided by the people that tried the new Playstation games is, unfortunately, a very vague one and provides basic information which most of us suspected but it does offer some insight and a straightforward, if diplomatic, comparison of the two new systems by a developer.

So we are told not to expect visuals of the same quality as the Killzone video showcased at last year's E3 but that the titles witnessed by the Kikizo journalist, are truly worthy of the next-gen tag.
In a diplomatic comparison of the two next-generation consoles, the Kikizo source states: ...the Xbox 360 and PS3 are same-generation machines. One doesn't have additional effects over the other - 360 can do the same effects, just not as many of them simultaneously and with less geometry [because of the speed difference], but memory bottlenecks can kill part of the PS3 speed advantage anyway... the overall visual difference it makes will depend a lot on the developer's skill, and how much time and money the publisher spends on a game. So Sony's console won't have extra tricks up its sleeve it will just be able to do more of them at the same time.

Since the versions of the games witnessed by the journalists are not final we are told that some improvements are expected especially since no Blu-Ray drives or controllers were included in the SDKs used. This latter fact also suggests that there may be some basis to the rumors of a possible failure by Sony to launch its new console this spring.

Whatever changes are made to the hardware however, we are told that Sony will not be able to meet its initial target of 1080p Full HD that it had originally set and will instead deliver 720p and will upscale it or allow the new TVs to do so. This, apparently, will save CPU cycles and will save gamers from the dreaded loss of frame rate.

So when will we get to play it? Kikizo's source claims: We think that in Japan it will most likely release during Summer, Q4 in the US, and Europe in Winter or Spring 2007 - these are our internal projections.

So there you have it PS3 will probably be delayed in the U.S. while the experience has left Kikizo staff with a feeling of disappointment since the PS3 is unlikely to reach the level of visual quality suggested by E3 2005. Still expect PS3 titles to continually improve as developers become more familiar with the hardware and hopefully, as Sony begins to provide them with actual consoles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:45 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Another report on the likelihood of a delay:

PS3 to be delayed? Analysts speculate...
http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=6066
Quote:
Hitoshi Kuriyama of Merrill Lynch in Japan has commented that there are reports that the next-generation console from Sony, the PlayStation 3, might not make its initially stated Spring 2006 launch date.

According to Kuriyama, the reports state that the PS3 could be delayed by between six and 12 months, meaning an autumn launch in Japan and a late 2006 or early 2007 launch in the US. Kuriyama mentioned this in the Financial Times.

Merrill Lynch in San Fransisco also commented on what they feel the price per console to Sony might end up being. The analysts from Merrill Lynch in SF have estimated that the initial bill of materials for PS3 could approach $900, falling to $320 by three years after launch, according to the Finacial Times.

It seems the Merrill Lynch analysts are speculating based off of comments from Tetsuhiko Yasuda, managing director of Sony Computer Entertainment Asia. Speaking to reporters at the Taipei Game Show, Yasuda said that the company is looking to be 100% ready when it begins selling the highly anticipated console.

"We want to be completely prepared when we bring PlayStation 3 to the marketplace," Yasuda said. "Our No. 1 competition is not other companies but counterfeiters. We want to work with governments to stop this."

We'll have to see what comes of this, however. E3 is still a few months away, and we should hear new information as E3 approaches, and if not before E3, definitely at E3 we should know if Sony is planning a delay or not.

Only from self-proclaimed experts rather than anyone important though, so pinch of salt needed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:12 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
:o :o :o

> ... ! <

Quote:
Blu-ray bowing on May 23
Sony announces next-gen video format will launch in US in just over three months with lineup of familiar titles; first player to retail for $999.

Two weeks ago, Variety reported that many studios were cutting back on production of Universal Media Disc (UMD) home-video releases. According to the article, studios were disappointed with sales of films released on the format, which was created for Sony's PSP handheld. However, most PSP owners will say that they are themselves disappointed with the small selection of UMD movies, much of which is made up of such less-than-stellar offerings as Stealth and Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo.

Today, Sony announced that is launching another all-new video format used by one of its game platforms with an even more limited selection of movies. On May 23, the electronics giant will debut its Blu-ray Disc (BD) format, which will be used by the PlayStation 3, in North America with eight films of varying vintage, popularity, and acclaim: 50 First Dates, The Fifth Element, Hitch, House of Flying Daggers, A Knight's Tale, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, XXX, and the 1978 concert film The Last Waltz. They will be followed by a second wave of releases on June 13: Kung Fu Hustle, Legends of the Fall, RoboCop, Stealth, Species, SWAT, Terminator, and Underworld: Evolution.

Though DVD-specialty sites such as the Digital Bits predict that the aforementioned launch BD movies will go for about $24.99 each, no pricing information was given for the initial octet, which will be released by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. However, the other studio shipping BD films on May 23, Lionsgate, was more forthcoming. It said that two of its initial offerings, Lord of War and the Oscar-nominated Crash will retail for $39.99, while the other three--The Punisher, Saw, and Terminator 2: Judgment Day--will go for $29.99 each. The Canada-based studio will release a second wave that will include Reservoir Dogs, Total Recall, Stargate, and the Frank Herbert's Dune miniseries for $29.99 each, and the Rob Zombie-directed schlock-horror opus The Devil's Rejects for $39.99.

Though neither Sony nor Lionsgate made any mention of what extra features their initial BD movie offerings will have, both make much of the Blu-ray Disc's ability to store up to 50GB on one disc, more than five times that of a DVD. For a full rundown on the format, which will see competition in the form of the Microsoft and Time Warner-backed HD-DVD platform later in the year, check out Sony's official Blu-ray Web site. Microsoft is also planning to release a HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox 360 later this year.

But while the variety of BD films will be limited, consumers will have even less choice when it comes to Blu-ray Disc players. Sony's announcement said that its BDs' debut will "coincide with the launch...of the first commercially available BD player from Samsung Electronics." That would be the BD-P1000, which will play HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) video at resolutions of both 720p and 1080i (720 lines progressive scanning and 1,080 lines interlaced scanning)--and will retail for around $999.

The PS3, which will come with an internal BD-ROM drive, is expected to retail for between $399 and $799. However, most analysts now expect the console won't launch in the US until Q4 2006, even though Sony has not officially changed the "spring 2006" release window it announced at E3 2005. However, Sony says the BD-P1000's release "will be followed shortly by BD players from Pioneer and Sony along with a BD-compatible VAIO PC from Sony."

:o 999 :o
You gotta be F*^@~ ing shitting me right ?
Someone pinch me I'm having a nightmare ! :wacky:

So what's the price for a blue-ray with a expensive TeH Cell ProzzeZZoR included then ?

Orginal article

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:41 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
sounds very believable, it is sony. Doesn't make that much difference, the playstation 2 was the biggest waste of money i ever spent. The chances i would ever buy a playstation 3 are below 0 at the moment. There's a larger chance that i would buy an xbox360 at some point (if there's a price drop, a couple of good games and its hacked), and even the revolution; neither of which i really intend on buying.

There's been a stream of bad news since E3 last year, i'm still surprised people are looking forward to this thing so much. I guess its a few wacky japanese companies that's doing it that won't jump ship

Is sony hardware deparment still doing terrible?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:16 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148763

[sarcasm]Well, well, what a suprise[/sarcasm] :lol:

The news everyone was expecting has just come - ps3 delayed until November 2006 AT THE EARLIEST! (and that's in Japan)

:lol: Good riddance, hopfully this will be amongst the last gasps of the company that last year alone brought you Rootkits, made up film reviews, payola and DRM so draconian it rendered their hardware unusable

:beerchug: to Sony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:44 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Haha looks like Sony is really screwing things up. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:35 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Amazing - some good news regarding the ps3. AT LAST a company is throwing away regions for games, weird how its sony and well... they are pretty much nazis on everything regarding draconian regarding consumer rights, and this goes against there policy of regional price fixing

Quote:
In a QA session following the platform keynote address at GDC 2006 this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison confirmed what was heavily demanded for import gamers all over the world and yet previously thought unthinkable for a major corporation: the PS3 will be region-free for gaming.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697656p1.html