Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:06 pm  Post subject: Some GK questions

The Ancient One
Hi everyone!

Since we have a lot of experienced rippers around here, I have two questions about Gknot.

First, I have another Kong Kong CAT III DVD which I'd like to share with you guys. It's a case of extremely bad telecining though. It's NTSC 29fps and about 3 or 4 out of 5 frames are interlaced (no proper 3:2 pulldown here...). Grindcallus recommended I use kernel deinterlace but I still have to IVTC to convert it to 24 fps, right? Gknot lets me use only IVTC or kernel deint. I figure I'll have to edit the avs accordingly to IVTC first and then kernel deint? How do I do that? No much experience with with avs-scripts so please keep your answers n00b-friendy. :)

Second: The unholy IVTC option. I've done hours of reading and so far all I have is a bad headache. :? Check or uncheck, and why?

Any help is appreciated and these will be your rewards :mrgreen: :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104807/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112634/

TIA
Rogue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:28 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Your going to have to play with avisynth to get the right IVTC method, no checkbox will save you I'm afraid. Its easy though, once you determine what method you need to do.

So what's the frame order?

Check ivtc in your save and encode screen but then click edit. Find the bit where it says IVTC in the comment, and highlight the scripting under it... you need to replace it with the appropriate IVTC method. It might be a lot of trial and error though:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... moval.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:33 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
oh and personally i'd replace it with this at first:
Code:
Telecide(Guide=1).Decimate(5)

See if that gets the bastard.

HK film makers! No wonder Bruce Lee looked pissed all the time :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:29 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Figured out some basic avisynth and found this on doom9:

"BAD TELECINES. Frequently, Hong Kong DVDs (and those from other areas sometimes, also) are badly telecined and leave you with 4 of 5 frames interlaced. Those people should be shot for ruining perfectly good film material (?No trial, no jury-just straight to execution?-Pulp Fiction). Just as in the previous example, if there's at least one progressive frame in each series of 5, then I'll go ahead and IVTC (but this time with the standard Telecide(Guide=1).Decimate(5)). Many DVDs come with fields already blended and after IVTC many will still remain as blended frames. It?s pretty much impossible to completely undo the damage from an improper telecine job. You can only hope that the resulting video will play smoothly and the blended frames won?t be too noticeable."

That pretty much descibes what I have here. I'll do some trial and error starting with telecide (guide=1).Decimate(5).

I'll keep you posted. :)

But apart from the HK DVD, what's with ITU-R. Do you use it on clean PAL DVDs? I've done some reading on D9 and so far I have the impression it's an ideological thing (lots of guys arguing over and over...).

Thanks btw. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:18 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
yeah, its a debateable thing, i think its checked on mine, i can't recall.

Technically you have to IVTC some PAL dvds, its just worth noting you don't do this all the time and it can get somewhat complicated knowing when to do it or not.

It is a single frame, but there are some times when PAL rips should be 24fps. Your generally let off the hook if you don't ivtc PAL though :)