Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2783 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:14 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
The Predator - the 2018 film, continuing on the Predator-storyline, mixing it with some other scifi stuff and putting in a child hero so it can be a film for the entire family (eeehm...). When on a mission in Mexico, Quinn McKenna, a special forces sniper, witnesses the crashing of a spaceship. nowing that he might get into trouble for it, he sends home some of the evidence he found: a helmet and a wristarmor. His son, who suffers from Asperger's, is trying to figure out what it all means, while his father is being transferred to the looney bin. However, just when they are leaving, the captured Predator from the ship awakens inside the special research facility in which they are holding him. They take advantage of the situation and start hunting the Predator, who is also hunted by something else than the humans who are after him. The storyline isn't so bad, but it is not very original: rogue aliens being pursued even onto our earth is nothing new, but that doesn't mean this isn't a nice story. The execution however, is a bit tacky at times, with the father-son relationship, the son having this syndrome, the ruthless research leader who murders his men in cold blood, it's all a bit too much. The cgi is OK-ish, although the "dogs" look pretty fake all the time. I did have fun, but that's because I like the Predator as a creature. As a movie, this is not much above popcorn-level.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:08 am  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Flora - a team of scientists goes out into the wild to explore nature. It's the 1920s, which is a smart move in order to explain why they can't communicate with each other when lost. Because they can't find the professor they were supposed to meet, they start searching for him. In the meantime, they notice that there is no animal life in the forest: just plants, trees and bushes. It's this flora that they will learn to fear, as the pollen turn out to be a deadly force. This movie is pretty boring if you ask me. Acting is overacting, the events are few and far between and nature is just uninteresting in this one because there are no animals whatsoever. There are a few interesting things like women trying to start a scientific career but not being able to because it's the 20s, but they never add to the storyline really. The "monster" is not scary in the least, there is no actual sense of fear and while the music tries to give it to you, it's just not enough. The ending is kind of predictable, the movie is pretty forgettable. On the plus side: there are worse things to look at than Teresa Marie Doran, but that's it. I'd skip it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:19 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Prospect - a teenage girl and her father work on a spaceship. On their way to a last job, they hear that the connecting line will be closed, so they have to be back in time or they will be stuck somewhere in outer space. When they have engine trouble, they land on a planet, whee the father soon finds some mine which could make them rich. Unfortunately, there are other dwellers out there who want the riches of the planet for themselves. After a while, the situation changes drastically for the girl
Spoiler:
her father is dead and the only survivor of the duo who killed him is after her
Now she has to adapt to the new situation and find a way off the planet if she ever wants to make it home. Long film which drags from time to time. The atmosphere is OK, it gives you a desolate feeling even though the planet is forested (instead of desert, the usual desolate surrounding). But because there are only a few things happening, it is also a bit boring. Acting is good but can't save the movie from being pretty bland overall. I'd not watch it again I guess.