Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:35 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Under the Shadow - this film is Persian/Iranian. During the Iran-Iraq conflict, a mother has to take care of her daughter alone because ther husband is off to the front as a medic. Dealing with her own frustration because she couldn't finish medical school, she has no patience for her daughter when she tells her about a djinn roaming around the building they live in. While the war develops, and danger increases (stories about missile attacks on Tehran are being told), more and more people leave the building. When a missile hits the floor above them without actually exploding, the daughter sees the djinn again, driving her mother mad while looking for the missing doll (which is presumably taken by the djinn, according to the daughter). Real life troubles and the supernatural combine in the head of the mother who is now struggling for her and her daughter's life. Acting is great, both the mother and the daughter were very believable. The djinn was scary, it gave me chickenpox and cold chills for the first time in a long while. Check this film out if you have the chance, it's different but very effective.

Crying Wolf - UK horror in which a private investigator gets his hands on a special book on werewolves. A certain pack of werewolves, to be precise. This pack has been killing many people, among which is a friend of the private eye. The investigator learns about the pack by reading the book (the film shows this in flashbacks),  they are on some sort of a trip with two tour operators. These guys are demon hunters, and it stays unclear if they know the members of their group are werewolves and also if the group knows they are killers. Even though that is a quite interesting premise, this folm screams low budget: a low toned voice over, cgi blood, reading-the-lines-dialogues, bunch of similar wolfmasks, etc. In fact, this movie became so uninteresting that I started to write this review while it was still on. I didn't miss much, the ending was sort of OK-ish, but by far not enough to save this film.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:47 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Sheborg Massacre - somewhere in Australia, a girl named Dylan is being rebellious against her dad, who is the mayor of the town she lives in. Together with her friend she tags police cars with graffiti and gives officers the finger. In outer space, a sheborg is being convicted for bringing chaos among order, but the sheborg resists execution through disintegration, and she and her executioners tumble down to earth. Of course the two groups get to meet and now DYand and her friend have to fight this little alien invasion. With the help of a rock singer and a Star Trek nerd they try to fend off the sheborg, who is slowly but steadily turning more and more people into cyborgs. This is one of those films which were the most fun for the people who made it. From time to time there is some nice goo or gore, but acting is only so so (especially by the spacepeople, they overact quite a bit) and the story is extra superficial and only glued together with countless fistfights. A bit more variety in the action would have been nice. The jokes are very cringey most of the time. A laudable effort nonetheless, but a little too monotonous for my taste. Bad moviefans might have fun with this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:29 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Wildling - watching this movie, I started wondering if this was really a horror, because it was rather boring. The story was about a girl being held inside a house by a man who insisted on the fact that there was only "Anna and daddy", and nobody else. She wasn't allowed to go outside and grew up inside this wooden building in a forest. So I searched for the plot of the film ad found out that there was gonna be a surprise, so I sat through this not so very exciting part and I was glad I did! It takes about 40 minutes for the film to really take off, but if you ffwd through it, you will miss a lot which is useful later to have the whole experience of this film. Acting and atmosphere are both OK, the main actress plays really well: she has to portray numerous emotional phases her character goes through, like anxiety, curiosity, etc. etc very well done. The thing with the
Spoiler:
suicide of "daddy" and that he lives through it to resume the hunt later was rather unbelievable and that was a shame, it didn't do the film any good, they should have changed that part and make it more credible
Apart from that, I didn't see many things which were distracting from enjoying a good movie. It reminded me a bit of Let The Right One In (the Swedish original). I had a good time watching this, so I can safely recommend this one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:54 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Iron Sky: the Coming Race - a sequel to the in my opinion very funny and successful movie Iron Sky. In short: this was a letdown. The moonbase nazis are merely some wallpaper, the jokes are only sometimes a tad funny, the Hitler-like character was not so interesting anymore and the lovestory was 200% predictable. If ypou loved Iron Sky and haven't seen this one, please stay away, it will make your experience with Iron Sky worse. It's not that the acting is bad per se, but the whole stpry is just not very interesting. I have seen worse, but I can't recommend this.

The Cured - in Ireland, an outbreak of what looks like a zombie epidemic, has been contained. Now the population is divided into three groups: humans, resistants (zombies who cannot be cured) and cured (former zombies, returned to humanity). The cured are being prepared for their return into society, but things will never be the same: they lost their original jobs, (an ex-lawyer now has to clean buildings, for example) their families usually don't want them around no more (because they have killed a relative, for example) and the public demands their removal (they want the cured killed, all of them). So this film is not a zombiefilm really, it's more a social movie which uses the zombie theme to portray several thigns which we can see in societies today: discrimination, profiteers, prejudice, etc. Acting is good, the characters are all very convincing except for some scenes where they tend to go almost over the top. The setup of the plot is nice, the climax was a bit unbelievable, but overall I really liked the idea behind this movie. If you want something more clever, more original: give this one a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:34 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Keep 'em coming. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:21 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Redcon-1 - a mixed team of US/UK special troops have to find and rescue a doctor from a zone which is about to be blown to smithereens because it's full of zombies. These zombies are quite intelligent and although they can't speak, they can communicate and organise among themselves, making them far more dangerous than the average Zombie Joe. The doctor probably has a cure for the disease causing people to become zombies, and the son of a high ranking officer is also a zombie now, so that's why he has to be evacuated: the officer wants his son cured. Nothing is what it seems, the team gets betrayed, doublecrossed, fought off by zombies and survivors alike and the apotheosis is, well, disappointing. As the entire film, it's overly dramatic, the tables are being turned a bit too often, the "I'll hold them off so you guys can escape" gets boring fast and the cgi blood is meh. Running for lamost two hours, ypou have to have some stamina to sit through this, you will probably experience a lot of cringe, and no, ypou can't have those two hours of your life back. Think hard before getting into this one. I know I wouldn't do it again.

From a House on Willow Street - had this filed under /ghost, but fits better in /demonic. A crew of criminals are planning the kidnapping of a daughter of a rich guy who has access to diamonds. They want to exctort the diamonds from hi, so they can emigrate and start a new life. So when they enter the house to get the girl, the house is entirely dark, there are strange writings on the walls of the cupboard in her room and she looks bewildered. They tie her down in an abandoned industrial building, but she warns them that if they don't let her go, they will all die that very night. One of the criminals also says that she has the feeling that they actually released the girl from the house. When the parents of the girl don't pick up the phone for the ransomcall, they have to find out what's going on. They find something that makes them shake on their feet. They really are all in for some real trouble... Although the premise is quite OK, and the idea also pretty original (has been done before but not to death), this is not a movie that yopu will remember for the rest of your life. Acting is decet, but the tension between the criminals feels a bit "made up". The trauma thing is nicely done, they don't get explained too fast. So quite nice, I have seen worse demonic films. The only thing that made me really wonder is
Spoiler:
why the demon was still after four sould while it could easily have taken the ones from the parents (2) and the priests (2), because the it would have had four already - major plothole alert here I guess
So if you have some 85-ish minutes to kill, this will be a nice way to do so.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:09 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Baskin - Turkish horror about a unit of Istanbul policemen who are eating, betting, having fun, etc at a restaurant on the outskirts of town when one of them gets sick in the toilet. They drive back to town when they receive a call for backup in a eighbourhood which has a bad name. On their way there, they have a near miss: the driver (the guy who got sick) syates he saw a naked man in the street. A little later, they actually do bump into a man and the van goes nose first into a river. When they get out they find a huge dilapidaded building which looks empty, but when they have turned some corners they find a cop banging his head against the wall. This is just the beginnig of a hellish tour through the netherworld, from which they might not find any escape. This movie got me glued to the screen. Maybe it's the fact that I don't see Turkish films very often, or that the atmosphere was gripping, but apart from some quieter moments in the beginning (especially during the drive to town), the movie keeps you up almost the entire time. Paradoxically, in the final scenes the attentio began to dwindle again, maybe because it had a tad of repetitiveness in it, maybe because I was getting tired (it was also getting late). But this movie has almost everything: apart from the stuff I already mentioned there are things like good acting, gore, painful torture scenes and, maybe one of the most interesting features of this film, a plot which doesn't go straight and chronologically. This leads to various wtf moments, it reminded me a bit of Pulp Fiction, but of course this is an entirely different film. Very entertaining, scary at times and also gross, this is quite a must see. Highly recommended!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:30 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Sounds interesting, what release should one get (and from where)?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:06 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
I got it off BT, you can get it here for example: https://www.1377x.to/torrent/3754973/Ba ... -YTS-YIFY/

Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla - it is very rare that I watch a movie twice. Sometimes, I find out in the final scenes that I have seen the movie before, like I did with Husk and some vampireflick from the 70s. In most cases, it is related to me being not entirely sober while watching the film the first, the second, or both times. Yesterday I purposefully watched a film for the second time, and in this case it was because the first time I didn't have any subs. And since my Japanese is not all that impressive, I could not follow the story very well. So I enjoyed an old-fashioned Japanese monster ride, with aliens planning to take over and of course starting with Japan. They have created a fake Godzilla to lure out the real one and defeat it, so the road to conquest would lay open. But, of course we have some heroic Japanese guys, scientists even, and they save the day together with an agent from Interpol. Ridiculous monsterduels, a noticeaby lack of miniature tanks and planes this time, but it's all made up by the MechaGodzilla who flies, shoots rockets and looks like a supergiant dinosaurtank. Fun guaranteed for the entire family. No hardcore horror or scifi of course, but cute explosions and the typical ancestor shizzle in the plot. If you are a fan, you can't miss out on this one.