Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:41 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
PlagueH wrote:
.....even though thats highly possible i.e. chariots of the of gods.....

:suicide:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:51 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
I must say that AvP 1 struck me as such a CAMP experience, I was actually anticipating Erich von Daniken to make a cameo surfacing in some mini U-boat . :rock:

Seriously, The Alien universe could have been expanded much more elegantly.
For me it all went wrong with alien3.

Both Scott and Cameron had serious plans of expanding the background setting. But Cameron warned that AvP would be quote: "Abbot and Castello meet.... <universal> "

I've always asked wether the alien was some dangerous creature caged & transported for study ( Natural ) or some state of the art bio-weapon (engineered).

Thanks to the AvP incarnations, I now know that I never will know :matrix:

Well, not before the unavoidable remake :deadhorse:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:13 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
just watched the trailer of avp2... jesus christ that sucked ass, the whole alien thing is ruined! this is the end -> :suicide:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:22 am  Post subject:

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
probably, since you hate it before you've seen the whole thing :eatthis:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:30 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
"make your own movie"... that makes you sound like one of those whiney nancy boys that do an absolutely shit rip that's nuked to buggery and then retort "its free" as an excuse for the shit rip. You have access to make something, you shouldn't squander that. Doesn't mean it has to be shit, or approached in any other way than your best or your wasting everyone's time.

As I said; I'd be amazed if this was good based on all the material they've released. Really amazed. Doesn't mean its shit, I'd just be amazed it wasn't shit.

Its not out, but would you be putting money down on its quality? :lol: I certainly wouldn't bet any money on it being good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:57 pm  Post subject:

Mummified In Barbed Wire
spudthedestroyer wrote:
"make your own movie"... that makes you sound like one of those whiney nancy boys that do an absolutely shit rip that's nuked to buggery and then retort "its free" as an excuse for the shit rip. You have access to make something, you shouldn't squander that. Doesn't mean it has to be shit, or approached in any other way than your best or your wasting everyone's time.

As I said; I'd be amazed if this was good based on all the material they've released. Really amazed. Doesn't mean its shit, I'd just be amazed it wasn't shit.

Its not out, but would you be putting money down on its quality? :lol: I certainly wouldn't bet any money on it being good.
Come on guys this thread should be long dead. Im sure that with a 20 million dollar budget or what have you the director doesnt go in thinking "Jee guys today I think Im gonna waste 20m and make a shitty ass movie" Because somewhere out there even though the masses of this site dont want to see avp2 (even though I want to) that some people might find it enjoyable. And haha for the use of the term Nancy Boy....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:12 am  Post subject:

amen. Spud....did I notice a tad of flaming there? :roll: And I'll put money down on the quality......but not on if YOU will like it or not. :outsider:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:59 am  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
Lets just hope the story-line is better than the first AVP..
But seeing those "pred-alien" pics does shred most hope for that..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:17 pm  Post subject:

From trailer looks more gore than first one so i will see it :beerchug:

-------------------------------------

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:37 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Serious for a moment, anyone seen it yet ?

Already a thumb up review:
Quote:
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem Review
A surprisingly entertaining sci-fi adventure that is sure to sustain interest in the crossover franchise.
by Todd Gilchrist

December 26, 2007 - There are really so many different ways to review Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem that perhaps the best approach is the least likely one - namely, to say that it's actually a pretty entertaining movie. Essentially a cinematic mix tape of favorite moments from the two film series, there is little in the erstwhile sequel-cum-reboot of the crossover franchise that will likely attract new viewers, but it's certain to appeal to anyone who knows either the Aliens or Predator films; in short, this is exactly the movie for which fans have been waiting. At the same time, it's a fairly crass and clumsy way to rejuvenate the auteur-driven artistry of the former series, or even the broad, muscular appeal of the latter, but all in all there's precious little to criticize in a film that manages to be quite so ridiculously entertaining, in the process surpassing its predecessor by a wide margin.

The film opens with a montage of sights and sounds from both franchises, heralding a return to the form (if not content) that fans have loved for decades: the deep, resonating brass of James Horner's Aliens score, the tribal percussion of his Predator theme, and the font of both series' credit sequences. From there, AvP:R picks up where the original film left off, following a group of Predators as they return to their homeworld. Because one of the survivors was impregnated with an alien embryo, the resulting creature possesses characteristics of both species, forming a "predalien;" the ensuing struggle to defeat the monster results in the ship crash-landing back on earth.

After a human hunter and his young son discover the vessel, they are impregnated by facehuggers and left to gestate normal aliens. But when a scout from the Predator homeworld discovers that the ship crashed, he departs for earth to track down the creatures and rescue the survivors. What soon ensues is a violent battle for supremacy writ large against the backdrop of a small midwestern town. Soon, a small band of survivors race to evade death and dismemberment at the hands of either race, and escape the town before the incoming military provides its own solution - namely, to destroy any and all who have come into contact with the alien races.

There's a reason I barely mentioned any of the human characters in the film: they aren't important. Screenwriter Shane Salerno (Armageddon) seems to be fully aware that we care little or nothing about who these people are or what they want, so he provides each of the main characters with only the most threadbare of back stories and then releases them to fend off their infinitely better-equipped, extraterrestrial adversaries. There's a guy named Dallas (Steven Pasquale) who was recently released from prison and who is trying to save his younger brother Ricky (Johnny Lewis) from a similar fate; a soldier named Kelly (Reiko Aylesworth) trying to reconnect with her daughter Molly (Ariel Gade) after returning home from Iraq; and a doofus sheriff named Morales (John Ortiz) who is trying to manage this catastrophe as it escalates out of his control.

Predictably, most viewers will assign these characters numbers rather than names because it's an easier way to keep track of how many of them get killed and how often. But thankfully, directors Colin and Greg Strause keep the story (such as it is) moving at a quick enough pace that deficiencies in character development or general logic mostly go unnoticed. Additionally, they employ a preponderance of practical effects (that is, dudes in rubber suits) to give the creatures tangible dimensions; the growing use of computer-generated effects to shortcut the filmmaking process has in recent years produced the unfortunate but perhaps expected side effect of decreased believability, but the brothers Strause construct enough realistic situations - and then populate them with actual monsters - to make sure that the audience feels and reacts as if they exist.

At the same time, this film shares with its predecessor the problem that neither the aliens nor the predators, but the humans are its focus. Admittedly Salerno and co. surpass the first AvP by reducing the humans' emotional significance and emphasizing the main predator's one-man battle against the alien hordes, and then later, the predalien - a wet dream of a final villain for some future video game spinoff. But the film's unwillingness to simply relegate the humans as collateral damage in this interstellar grudge match shows that somebody somewhere thought at some point we would actually be invested in anything other than the action. Meanwhile, I'm more interested in precisely why the predator is hunting these creatures; mind you, I'm not questioning motivation in any serious or critical way, but throughout the movie I was far more curious about the predator's "quest" (it isn't coming of age as were the predators in the first film) than the efforts of a few puny humans to escape being brained or otherwise dismembered.

That said, such concerns of extremely minor importance, since the ultimate point is to make money and maintain interest in two franchises which - even separately - had long since burned out even their most committed fans. In fact, the film's compilation of reference points, visual cues and familiar sound effects resembles something strikingly different than any real or legitimate compendium of science fiction mythology or lore; rather, it seems more like a ransom note cut and pasted from the remnants of other and presumably better texts. Ultimately, the film is competently executed, occasionally scary and frequently fun to watch, no matter whether you choose to laugh at or with it. All of which means that the greatest accomplishment that may come from Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem is that as far as the future of the series is concerned, this definitely and reassuringly constitutes proof of life.

:o

then again there's this fellow
Quote:
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem
A Film Review by James Berardinelli 1 star
ACTION/SCIENCE FICTION
United States, 2007
U.S. Release Date: 12/25/07 (wide)
Running Length: 1:25
MPAA Classification: R (Violence, gore, profanity)
Theatrical Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Cast: Steven Pasquale, Reiko Aylesworth, John Ortiz, Johnny Lewis, Ariel Gade, Kristen Hager
Directors: Colin Strause, Greg Strause
Screenplay: Shane Salerno
Cinematography: Daniel C. Pearl
Music: Brian Tyler
U.S. Distributor: 20th Century Fox

Alien vs. Predator: Requiem

---

Ho, ho, ho - the joke's on anyone who pays to see this. Twentieth Century Fox has left movie-goers a steaming turd under the Christmas tree. Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (which will hereafter be called by its "clever" marketing moniker, AVPR, since that requires less typing) is the pointless and unnecessary sequel to the equally pointless and unnecessary original, Aliens vs. Predator. Without going into gory details about how this spin-off series has eviscerated the creatures from which its title is derived, suffice it to say that it's harder to think of a bigger comedown for the monsters of Alien, Aliens, and Predator than this.

Looking at the film's credits provokes a single reaction: Who are these people? I recognize Reiko Aylesworth because she spent a few seasons playing third or fourth fiddle to Kiefer Sutherland in 24, but no one else is familiar. As for the behind-the-scenes staff… The writer is Shane Salerno, who has the dubious distinction of being involved in the "adaptation" of Armageddon. (Don't ask what it was adapted from - maybe notes on the back of cafeteria napkins.) The directors, stepping into the big shoes once filled by Ridley Scott, James Cameron, and John McTiernan, are the Brothers Strause. This is their feature debut. One can be forgiven hoping it will also be their feature swansong.

As a film critic, I should know what to expect from a movie that has not been shown beforehand to members of my profession, but hope springs eternal. The "no screenings" policy is a tacit warning from the studio that the movie stinks but the suits who greenlighted it agree with P.T. Barnum that there's a sucker born every minute. The target audience is comprised of those who like a lot of mindless action and gore, are indifferent to plot, and care even less about characters. In short, AVPR is being pitched at teenage boys, who (theoretically) can't get in because the movie has avoided the self-neutering necessary to obtain a PG-13 (something its predecessor did). Based on a cursory glance around the nearly empty auditorium where I saw the film, not a lot of teenage boys were making the effort to sneak in.

Going into AVPR, I found myself wondering if there was any way the sequel could outdo the original in terms of creative bankruptcy, tedious "action", and overall awfulness. This is one of many times when I have underestimated Hollywood. Of course the filmmakers found a way to top the first movie - that's what second installments are for. Every jagged edge has been made serrated, every plot hole has been widened, and every sleep inducing chase-and-kill scene has been dosed with a tranquilizer. There are copious amounts of blood and gore, but Sweeney Todd does this sort of thing better.

The movie starts off with a space ship crashing in the middle of the Colorado wilderness. On board is a Predator/Alien hybrid and a small army of facehuggers. The adorable little critters get out of the ship and start latching onto whatever humans are unfortunate enough to be in the immediate area. Meanwhile, back at Predator central, a Predator has been dispatched to Earth to take out the aliens and the hybrid. While he's en route, we are introduced to the generic characters who will comprise the human collateral damage portion of the movie: an ex-con named Dallas (Steven Pasquale) and his whiny younger brother, Ricky (Johnny Lewis); Kelly (Rieko Aylesworth), a soldier just home from Iraq; and Sheriff Eddie Morales (John Ortiz), who spends the movie looking alternatively bored or confused. The first 45 minutes of AVPR is set-up as we "get to know" these cardboard characters. The second half is the bloodletting, where lots of things happen but it's usually too dark to figure out what's going on.

For a movie called Aliens vs. Predator, there's not a lot of "versus" going on. There are some cursory fights but they happen so quickly and in such poor light that there's little hope of figuring out what's going on. The climactic battle royale is about as disappointing as can be and requires a deus ex machina to wrap things up. Humans get killed along the way, but they're just distractions and diversions. The movie also has an unforgivable sadistic streak. There's a scene in which a little boy watches his father die then has an alien explode out of his chest. Later, the hybrid invades a hospital and takes out a bunch of pregnant women in a gory and unspeakable fashion. These scenes aren't shocking or scary, they're just sickening.

I can't figure out who might appreciate this movie. Those who are expecting to sit back, stop thinking, and watch cool wall-to-wall battles are going to be disappointed. Those who yearn for a movie to recapture the long-lost horror and glory of the original creatures are going to be borderline suicidal. And those who merely want to see a good movie will be demanding their money back before the pizza delivery boy gets his ass kicked at the house of the gorgeous blond. Simply put, AVPR is trash. It should be burned with the rest of the garbage that accumulates on Christmas Day.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:41 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Quote:
Additionally, they employ a preponderance of practical effects (that is, dudes in rubber suits) to give the creatures tangible dimensions

I like this!

Quote:
There are some cursory fights but they happen so quickly and in such poor light that there's little hope of figuring out what's going on.

But I'm a bit disappointed by this.

However, the first review made me more curious. I liked both Predator and Alien, but AvP sucked. Only the final shot of that movie was fun, but not worth waiting for for 89 mins.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:40 pm  Post subject:

Mummified In Barbed Wire
I saw it and I liked it, terrible acting and terrible plot but in the end its a sci-fi action movie, what did you expect?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:19 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
It was better than the first one, but it was still shit.

As a horror film, its pathetic. Beyond feeble. Don't have any illusions here.
As a scifi film, its retarded. There's little value here for geeks and the fantastically inclined.
As part of either franchise, it destroys the timelines (then again, I consider Alien4 and AvP to have already f*cked things up from the shit cash-in perspective).

As an action film its rather second rate and somewhat pointless. Its probably best classified as a "scifi action", but largely a no-brained action film.

By itself; the story is utter crap, the acting is dreadful, the script is truely pathetic (but then that's two notches up from Paul W. "ALASKA!" S. Anderson), the gore is not very good at all (cgi chestbusters? Give me a break), the art work was gash which is especially dissappointing (barring that wonderful japanese poster i posted on the frontpage for some reason) and the character design was all messed up. The film has no flair to cover up these deeply lacking component parts, and its very much a second rate construction of a film. It tries to say; "look we are just like aliens, see we have an APC and we are 'homaging'/butchering the soundtrack" and "remember these dangling upside down bodies from the first time you saw predator, well we have them too", but obviously it just comes off as tacky. Otherwise comparisons to Predator or Alien movies just gets embarrassing, same as the first AvP really (and it comes down to a lower calibre of writing, producing and directing frankly).

It was better than that utterly, utterly terrible AvP1 film; but that is neither saying very much, nor is it something i would ever buy (and I doubt i will even bother downloading it now I've seen it).

If you consider the chance to make a film with a sizeable budget an opportunity to make something meaningful and in itself a privilege you shouldn't squander on some shitty movie, you're going to get pissed off.

Mediocre at best :( If you did happen to enjoy this, its probably not going to be the last shite in this subfranchise ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:00 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Still not seen it, but I figured as much.

CGI gore :moon:

Lord have mercy on that "the thing" remake.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:13 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I have no doubts I will enjoy watching it, I like any old crap and if it has Aliens or Predators then all the better.

Don't get me wrong, just because I enjoy watching it does not mean it is a good film, if you get my drift. I enjoyed Zombie90:Extreme Pestilence in a strange way.

The Thing remake has so much potential, like many remakes, but they will probably fuck that up too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:24 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
I don't think anything has that much potential if they simply pluck some random douches from MTV like they've done with this. ;)

There's been some great director's that have come through the music video router, but a minority :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:38 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Using nobody twats from MTV is often one of the contributing factors to a shitty remake.

They frequently do not give a remake the justice it deserves. From a personal point of view I would like to see much more independence in the film making. Not sure that sounds right, what I mean is I wish they would get people to do these things that will make them how they were intended to be made, ignore what the fat cats say we want and give us what we really want.

Take the remake of The Thing, that film is fine, in my eyes a classic, and I would be perfectly happy if they pretty much just copied the original and updated the FX, etc.... I would have a copy of that sit nicely in my collection. Anything other than that will probably never get purchased in the first place.

My apologies if that sounds a bit strange, I am seriously tired and fairly mashed, my brain is currently having trouble keeping up with the rest of me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:52 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Thing is, people like David Fincher who is a damn fine director started doing music videos (albeit after substantial training and working at ILM).

I take a different view on remakes; they should be done to fix or perfect a theme. A remake isn't a good one unless there's some deeper point; political intrigue or social commentary, redefining the characters or the environment, or completely warping the originals sentiments.
If you just patch the old one its meaningless.

The problem is that's a risk and they need to trust the director's/writer's vision; instead they hire a stooge that churns out paint by numbers :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:41 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
There are not many films I get deep into and actually look at the meanings, I prefer to just watch a movie for entertainment purposes. If it creates any kind of emotion then, to me, it has done its jobs.

If I want character development and meanings etc I prefer to read a book. I have always loved reading, imagination creates results far superior to what any studio could ever produce. Then again it should as I imagine it how I want it to be, instead of stripping out the best bits just to get some mas market pap that is full of tits and explosions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:38 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
TaKYoN wrote:
I prefer to just watch a movie for entertainment purposes.

There, that's what I think too. I totally agree when people shout: "Gore doesn't make a movie!", but hey, I like gore, and if the movie sucks, but the gore was great, then I still had a good time watching it.

Of course I want to see something real good from time to time.