Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:31 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
I'm not really sure about that collie. Its definitely that way in the states, but i don't think that's it with the uk.

We don't have unrated versions in the uk. Everything must be rated. Director's Cuts are a different kettle of fish to normal, they usually have more footage, but its not really more violent and wouldn't effect the BBFC judgement (I don't recall a case to date). Studios like paramount still self-censor movies and then pass them onto the BBFC which passes them uncut, and then never release a unrated version. I mean take Friday the 13th series, or April Fools Day, afaik, bbfc just gets the pre-censored cuts.

I know they do that in the states for the unrated market, but its not really applicable to the uk. Everything has to be rated, and director's cuts ratings rarely change.

I think a lot of progressive director's edit their movies for europe and then try and edit the domestic us release to the studios choice. We really have a very different taste. Films like Alien 3, brazil, etc. did very well in europe, but then in the states they cut them up and re-edited them. I think when they edit a movie, get it rated by the mpaa, and then send it over is the problem. They should edit the movie, get it rated in europe, then send it over to the mpaa.

Remember, NC-17 = 18 in the uk, and with 18s these days they tend to try and leave them alone. The problem is in the states, they want to get little kids to see their movies (this is the problem), so they censor them down to R rated so little kids can be brought along to see them. I like to think europe is quite progressive on the 18 rated front, and its not really a problem commerically to be rated NC-17/18

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:44 am  Post subject:

Mummified In Barbed Wire
Well over here in Germany this is quite an issue. If there is a chance to get a lower rating instead of 18 and above the companies tend to cut the problematic scenes (mostly graphic violence).

If you go to the movie theaters these days it's easy to see why they do it, as teenagers are the biggest crowd there.

Later on, when the DVDs hit the stores and the video shops, they'll bring out the uncut version which is then rated 18 and above.

But even in Germany, where the rating has been pretty tough for anything with violence in it, the FSK, our rating board, has progressed and seems a bit more liberal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:36 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
collie wrote:
Well over here in Germany this is quite an issue. If there is a chance to get a lower rating instead of 18 and above the companies tend to cut the problematic scenes (mostly graphic violence).

If you go to the movie theaters these days it's easy to see why they do it, as teenagers are the biggest crowd there.

Later on, when the DVDs hit the stores and the video shops, they'll bring out the uncut version which is then rated 18 and above.

But even in Germany, where the rating has been pretty tough for anything with violence in it, the FSK, our rating board, has progressed and seems a bit more liberal.

The same situation, in Brazil. The biggest audience are teenagers. There are more cinemas in the mall than everywhere. But its easy to explain why, the major problem in Brazil, is the abyss between the middle class and low class. There is violence on the streets. So, its more secure to go to the mall than watch a movie in a street cinema... The parents let the children go to the movel... mall's cinemas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:29 pm  Post subject:

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
When I check dvdcompare.net I'm always tired of reading No Cuts - "R-rated Theatrical"

We dont want their cuts. We have a different rating system!

Also, the transporter. a non-american movie. Gets a PG-13 and the cut scenes are on the DVD as extras, just like a lot of other countries, while the french (this one was the first), german, japanese and chinese releases are uncut.
So basicly some people were smart and ignored the american DVD release.
What's the point of cutting up a movie and putting the "violence" back as extras.

Transporter 2 is filmed in america and the violence is cut and again the cut scenes are put on DVD as extras. Now there's some versions claim to be uncut (have more scenes) and new CGI, but still are these DVDs cut.
I made a reply on FH about it. Ofcourse it got totally ignored.

Transporter 2 on FH

I suck at telling stuff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:44 am  Post subject:
Request Territory

Request Territory
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Quote:
Oh! I didn't expect the Life of Brian!

Banned in Ireland. So is Meaning of Life for the "every sperm is sacred" bit about the catholics and the protestants. :lol:

I assure you, they aren't, I own both on DVD, and purchased them over here.

Meet The Feebles, on the other hand...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:11 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Nervie wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Quote:
Oh! I didn't expect the Life of Brian!

Banned in Ireland. So is Meaning of Life for the "every sperm is sacred" bit about the catholics and the protestants. :lol:

I assure you, they aren't, I own both on DVD, and purchased them over here.

Meet The Feebles, on the other hand...

I guess i needed was instead of is. and Nothern Ireland, just incase you need that distinction. They were banned from cinemas and i still don't think they've ever been shown in public although like most banned things have made it out on video:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banned_films#Ireland

I just find it hilarious that two python movies got banned :lol:

Terry Jones mentions that 3 of his movies were banned in Ireland on the commentry to Holy Grail i think it is.

I don't think Meet the Feebles is banned anymore either.