Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:01 pm  Post subject: UK Battle Royale II Screening!!

Dead But Dreaming
This one is stolen from Snowblood Apple Asian Horror Movie forum
----------------
The following is stolen from Mikejonas' BR forums.

Hi, I just signed up to share some information with BR fans in the UK and Europe. Battle Royale II is going to be shown as part of this year's London Film Festival (presumably with English subtitles). It is currently scheduled to screen on November 1st at 23.00 pm at the Odeon West End cinema in London's Leicester Square.

You can check out the listing at http://www.lff.org.uk Tickets are going on sale from October 9th but if you are a member of the UK's National Film Theatre you can priority book them now by post.

I'm looking forward to a first chance to finally see BR2. Hopefully a national cinema release won't be far behind.

Good luck getting tickets.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:03 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
will have to make do with leeds fessie, can't make it down to london :( Lets hope BR is as good as the first!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:15 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
sheish!

It would be good to see, but getting to and staying in London aint cheap :(

Have fun though Apocalipstick, and enjoy it, it should be awwesome :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:30 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
I'm sorry to disappoint you guys, but i saw Battle Royale II this summer in Japan and it's really not worth all the efforts.

Maybe I had too high expectations, since i loved the first one, but, well, it was a real letdown. Almost a parody of the original.

The Plot:
It's three years after the events of the original Battle Royale, and Shuya Nanahara (Tatsuya Fujiwara), one of the survivors, is now an internationally-known terrorist determined to bring down the government. His group, Wild Seven, consists largely of survivors of previous Battle Royales and have been successfully staging terrorist attacks for the past three years.

When a Christmas day attack that levels several buildings in Tokyo (including the twin towers of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government building) and kills 8000 people is attributed to Wild Seven, the government enacts the "New Century Terrorist Counter-Measure Alternative" program, a.k.a. the BR2 act, and sends the 42 students of Shikanotori Junior High Class 3-B to hunt Nanahara and his cohorts down in their island stronghold. In order for the government to study the benefits of "teamwork," the new students work in pairs, with their collars electronically linked so that if one of them is killed, the other dies as well.

The Bad:
Battle Royale 2 is a war filmwithout any big set pieces, and a cheap, cheap, cheap rip off of the opening of Saving Private Ryan.
The plot is pointless, nonsensical, and silly. The young actors (character development = hairstyles) don't ever really act but just scream and cry. "The End" is good... but then they add an Epilogue that sucks big time, with BR 3 written all over it.

The Good
Altough too much CGI, the gore and the neck choker explosions are obviously there. And a particular mention goes also to the destroying skyscrapers. That's a beautiful shot - yeah, I'm a sucker for destructions - although reminiscent to 9/11 .

The Verdict
Go in with not too high expectations, don't care too much about the silly plot, and enjoy the gore and the explosions, as well as Sonny Chiba's and Beat Takeshi's cameos.