Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3097 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 155  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:34 am  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Don't Breathe - this is more a thriller than a horror, and although I usually dislike those films, this one really has a lot going for it. The story is about a bunch of teenagers who use their family connections to break in houses and steal stuff, but always just enough not to get prosecuted to heavily. When they get a tip of a house to be robbed which has enough money to make them leave Detroit, they go for it, even though this is beyond their threshold of non-prosecution. It seems easy enough, as it is the home of a blind Gulf War veteran, but it turns out that this man has several means to protect himself, and worse... Acting is great, the blind man is very vbelievable, and the teens are too, It is very nice that you get to see some background story on them, so you get to know them a little and especially the girl's shitty life makes you feel more sympathetic towards her, even though what she is doing is 100% criminal. There are several moments in which you can feel the fear, it is very well done. I wish more horrors were made this way. The ending is nice too. Recommended, even if you don't like thrillers so much you should watch this one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:50 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
The Black Cobra II - because of his violent behaviour, Fred is sent to Manila, where is being supervised by a nice guy of Interpol. At first, they have their issues and they squabble a bit about how to do the policework, but when a Palestinian terrorist group strikes, Fred's mentor goes berserk too. Now they get the chance to be a tandem of superheroes, taking on an agressive and dangerous bunch of men. Like part one, this is not really a blaxploitation. It is more of the same, so if you liked part one, then you can have fun with this one too. You don't need to see part one to follow this one, as the two stories don't have anything to do with each other except for Fred being violent. So go for it if you like 80s (B-)action.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:41 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Maximum Overdrive - only Stephen King film that he directed himself, and he does a neat job. Accompanied by AC/DC music throughout the film, you go on an 80s ride which is a lot of fun. The story is quite OK, with an obvious King message to the world. Machines are taking over society, and they plan to eradicate mankind (the message couldn't be clearer, lol) so electric knives start cutting people and trucks are trying to run you over. All quite fun, but the cause of all this is a bit far fetched: earth passes through the tail of a comet which causes all this mayhem. It takes a bout a week before earth leaves the tail again so the people have to survive until then. Emilio Estevez is a cook in a truckstop diner, and he becomes the hero who saves the employees, the guests and some stragglers along the way by making smart plans and sometimes using brute force. While you may wonder why he doesn't
Spoiler:
blow up all trucks using bazooka rockets - I mean, the basement is full of them
it is more fun this way, otherwise it would be over way too soon. Acting is decent enough, effects are nice too: you wonder how the machines are moving by themselves. Rise of the machines with AC/DC, recommended.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:58 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
The Black Cobra III: the Manila connection - although part II was set i Manila already, they felt the need to add the name to the title in part III. Well, what happens? The backcover of the DVD said this was "the best of the series" and I respectfully disagree. Although the opening is promising (we see a Rambo-McGyver hybrid infiltrating a jungle base and blowing up stuff before he escapes), soon this movie starts repeating itself and we get to see Fred doing that thing again, this time together with a young agent and a female CIA colleague to spice things up, but the spicing fails a bit. There is a double crosser and you will know the first time he enters the screen who it is, so plotwise there are zero surprises. If you liked Black Cobra a lot, then you can safely watch this one too, but I only liked part one a bit (that one is the best imo, not this one), so I guess I'm not gonna rewatch parts two and three.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:38 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Ouija: Origin of Evil - wow, nice! I had seen tons of films with the word Ouija in the title and they were all bad or worse than that. This one is the exception, and it's really worth watching! In the 60s there is an LA family who make their living by tricking people into the thought that they have contact with their deceased loved ones. The mother is the "fortuneteller" and her two daughters help her with the tricks. The father has passed away a while back, so this is what puts the food on the table. The girls are still both in school and the mother keeps looking for a steady job, but it doesn't come around. When the oldest daughter, Lina, plays Ouija at a friend's house, the mother wants to try out a reading with the Ouija board with a client: therefore she modifies it so it does what she wants it to do. However, the youngest daughter, Doris, feels like she can talk to her dad through the board, so she plays a lot with it, therefore ending up inviting an evil spirit into the home. At first it looks all benevolent, but after a while Lina notices that her little sister is behaving differently. Now she has to convince her mother something dangerous is going on before it's all too late. Acting is great, especially Lina (Analise Basso) was doing a great job. Not only looking great, but also acting in a very professional manner which comes across like she already has hundreds of big titles on her resume, while she is still only 18 years old. The scares are good, nothing which you haven't seen before really, but it is all well done, you will be entertained as a a horrorfan. There were a few references to The Exorcist, like the shot where the padre is standing in front of the house was imo a clear nod to the filmposter of said film, and there are other hints but nothing too much.
Spoiler:
one of the best things maybe is that it doesn't end well, the evil isn't beaten or anything, and while most people end up dead, the survivors end up in an asylum
Music adds to the already good atmosphere and I'm pretty sure this is gonna be a modern classic soon. Highly recommended!

The Hybrid - aka Scintilla. A bunch of mercenaries are being sent into an old Cold War facility in order to extract a specimen which was produced in a secret medical experiment. Of course they encounter various problems, like for example with the rebel militia guarding the facility, but also with some of the sideproducts of the experiments who roam the tunnels underground. After some fighting, some scheming and a lot of sneaking around, the lab is found. Unfortunately for them, the specimen escapes and is highly dangerous. Now they have to find a way back out, and survive somehow. Atmosphere was OK-ish, but since the imge quality was a bit low, I could not fully enjoy this film. The fact that the story was a bit simple didn't help either. Acting was so so, there were some memebers of the cast who really did their best but there were also a bunch of weekend actors among them. Overall it was an OK way to pass the time but nothing to remember, I don't think I will watch this one again anytime soon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:29 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
What We Do In The Shadows - really funny horrorcomedy about a house of vampires. They are being filmed like in a reality documentary, and they give interviews inbetween the shots of their daily (or should I say nightly) lives. The main characters are three vampires who have lived together for a long time: Vladislav from the Middle Ages, Viago from the 18th/19th century and Deacon from the early 20th century. They go out, they have fun, they have talks about the household (like Deacon who still has to finish doing the dishes) and they have human servants who bring them guests/prey. When a new guy is being turned into a vampire, their lives change, as this new housemate doesn't really follow the rules. It doesn't take ling before they get into trouble. I had lots of fun, it is never really scary, but there is enough gore to go around. The humour is good, too, apart from the various references to other vampiremovies, there are plenty of nice jokes to enjoy. If you haven't seen it, give it a spin. Recommended!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:21 am  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Dead Story - a couple moves to a new home in the middle of nowgere. The guy is a career dude, the girl is a freelance photographer with a mother-in-law from hell. On their first night, a friend of theirs tells a story about a murder being committed in the house, and from then on, the girl starts seeing and hearing things: furniture has moved, noises in the attic, etc. the whole cliche shabang. After a while she starts seeing the ghost, and she also is under the spell of a trance in which she grabs a large knife and approaches her husband. The guy has trouble believing her, and the mother-in-law comes around to take care of the situation, but that's only for the worse when it concerns the girl. Who will survive this and what will be their form? Nice ghostflick with a bunch of cliches and although it's not groundbreaking, it is also not really annoying, the acting is so so, but the atmosphere is nice. The ending is commendable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:49 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
The Guyver - this scifi film has huge Japanese influence. I conclude this after seeing a movie in which aliens (men in rubber fantasy suits) are looking for a special device (the guyver) in order to make a supreme weapon out of it. The human who finds it becomes some sort of a comic superhero with a space armor and helmet and superpowers etc. He fights martial arts against the aliens and his love interest is a Japanese girl, the daughter of the scientist who made the armor thing. If that's not Japanese influence, then I wouldn't know what is. It's a Yuzna production, and several Yuzna regulars are there, like David Gale and Jeffrey Combs, who portrays a scientist, this time Dr. East instead of Herbert West (lol at this corny joke). The story is quite simple, it comes off as a kids movie and the good guys win in the end of course. It's a bit fun but also a bit too plain and simple for my liking, I guess I'm just too old for this kind of movie. Might be nice to watch it with the little ones though.

The Cars That Ate Paris - I had wanted to see this for quite some time, but I was having doubts because would this be horror or not? Well, it's not really horror, but as a horrorfan you might still appreciate it. It's a Peter Weir film, and what's in a name: this is a weir(d) film indeed. It's about Paris, a small town in the middle of nowhere in Australia, where the townsfolk live off accidents. They make cars crash and then they strip it completely and recycle everything they find, it's a small industry even. When one of the passengers of a car survives (something that never happens), the townsfolk have to deal with this new challenge. Arthur, the survivor, has to recover from the shock of the accident, the death of his brother who was driving and then find out how to leave the town. The Parisians are not ready to let him go yet, though. Acting is OK, the atmopshere is quite OK too, you really get that uneasy feeling when you slowly but steadily find out what Paris is all about. Nice and a little strange, this might not be for everyone. It's not horror per se, but like I said, you might still enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:46 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Larva - cliche monsterflick, nothing more, nothing less. Dr Eli Rdukus is the new veterinarian arriving in Host, Missouri at a time when many cows are sick. Rudkus investigates and finds out about a mutated parasite which has infected almost all cattle in the surroundings. When he calls for a quarantine of the cattle, the local big guy tries to block it, bot in the least because he is the owner of the meatplant and providing the feed for the cattle. It doesn't take too long however, for the parasites to attack people, and for Rudkus to toe all knots together and solve the plot. Some nice gore, medicore acting and a pile of monsterflick cliches make this an OK way to pass your time, Don't expect anything drastic, though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:54 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Movienight with friends.

Bloodsucking Pharaohs In Pittsburgh - with a title like that you can't reall go wrong. The backside of the DVD compares it with Student Bodies and Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers and I understand why they did that. This actually does fall into the same category, more like HCH then SB though. Two not so very smart cops, Sweeney Birdwell and Joe Blocker, have a serial killer case to solve, and everytime a victim is found, a bodypart is missing and a little note with hieroglyphs is found inside the body. Birdwell has a chainsmoking wife who can't quit her addiction even in an extreme rehab and Blocker has had a nervous breakdown in a previous case and then his wife left him because of a sexual problem. He still has a trauma and an alcoholproblem, he can't stand the sight of blood even. Slowly, very slowly, they get closer to a solution, but they desperately need help which comes in the person of an old colleague's daughter. Dismissing her at first, they actually use her help to find answers to the hundreds of questions they have and while more bodies turn up, they close in on the suspect. Really nice horrorcomedy with a lot of bad and cheesy jokes, but also some good ones. It's all very late 80s, even though this was made in 1991 (this means music is OK, clothing is horrible). I had fun and I can safely recommend this to any bad movie fan, serious horrorfans should pick somethin g else, although they might enjoy the gore which was made aplenty by Tom Savini.

Velvet Smooth - another blaxploitation from the Black Action Cinema box and I'm almost 100% sure now: this box contains the bottom of the bill. In this film there is a guy running a neighbourhood and he gets trouble by a gang of masked thugs, who intimidate, beat up and rob several persons and venues in his neighbourhood. He turns to a lady called Velvet Smooth for help, and she and two other women are gonna investigate and ultimately fight the gang. The problem is that not only the sound quality is a bit bad and the acting is a bit too much read out aloud, but that all fights are so strictly choreographed that it looks really artificial. A massive fight therefore looks more like an erratic ballet, with people waiting their turns and doing real stupid stuff like the same move twice in a row even though the first one failed miserably. Music was OK, but if you wanna check out blaxploitation, better go for the more famous ones and leave this one alone.

Alien Siege - the concept of "V" made into a movie. I'm currently watching the 80s series "V", and the similarities between that series and this movie are striking. Earth has been visited by aliens, who need our planet because otherwise their race might die (in this case of a disease). The aliens take away humans, in "V" it's to feed, in this film it is to cure themselves. These aliens look like humans, except in this film they have a small grey patch on one of their cheeks which is for wireless communication. There is a resistance movement on earth which tries to fight a war against the aliens, and when one doctor who has been doing research to the alien technology has his daughter taken away by the aliens for cure, he jons a resistance grtoup and meets his love interest there. He also uses some alien technology in the various fights they have. All in all it might sound new to some, but to those who have seen "V" it is a modern day rerun of things. Sadlky this also means the use of cgi and when it's filling the screen it becomes painfully obvious. Nothing to really remember, except for maybe the face of Heather.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:07 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Hello Mary Lou - aka Prom Night II. Aside from the setting this film has little to do with the Jamie Lee Curtis slasher. Moreover, this isn't even a slasher, more a ghost movie. In 1957 Mary Lou, a pretty but promiscuous senior, cheats on her boyfriend during the prom. The boyfriend wants to take revenge at the moment she receives the prom queen crown, but he accidentally ignites her dress and she dies in flames. Thirty years later the story follows Vicki, a girl who could become the next prom queen. She experiences fierce competition and also has to struggle with her controlling mother. One night she unknowingly releases the spirit of Mary Lou and she is about to get revenge on everyone involved in her 1957 demise. Soon the first dead bodies turn up... Nice 80s horror with the usual bad music and ridiculous clothing. Acting is OK, nothing over the top or conspicuously bad, Michael Ironside is in this one and I like him, so that's a plus. Overall this is a nice passtime, and very suitable if you have an 80s night someday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:06 am  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Zombies: the beginning - Bruno Mattei kept making films until he was almost dead, and this is one of his latest. Modern day zombiemovies all try to give a different angle or put a different edge on the whole zombie thing, and sometimes that succeeds, but mostly it fails miserably. Mattei doesn't even try that: he just makes a zombie movie like it was 1980 instead of 2007. So we have all the infamous inredients of Italo zombie horror from the 80s: bad acting, superbad dubbing, badly made up "zombies" who look like a crossover between zombies and vampires (and sometimes a bit more like alien monsters even) and a cliche story about a deserted island noone ever visited but still there are these creatures killing everyone in their sight. So after a ship with crew was lost except for one woman (the main character), a medical team has been sent to the island but that was also lost. Now it is time for more drastic measures and a private army (everyone works for Tyler Inc, a large company who owns the island and almost everything else in the movie) is on a mission to find out what happened on the island. The woman accompanies them as an expert, and they find not only the killers of the previous two crews, but also the crewmembers who now have become monsters themselves. There is a ridiculous miniscule lovestory when a soldier is showing the woman how to operate the flamethrower, and later that thing incinerates almost all monsters, Aliens-style. About Aliens: this is where Mattei got his inspiration, as the similarities are baffling. One reviewer on amazon even wrote: if you have seen Aliens, you have seen this movie. Except this one has worse dubbing of course. The gore is great, I loved it: torn off limbs, exploding heads, you name it and this movie has it. Highly recommended or bad moviefans and Italo fans alike.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:06 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
The House on Skull Mountain - 70s horror with all black cast (not 100% though, there are two white guys). It's a story about voodoo in which an old woman, living in the house from the title, is about to die. On her deathbed she sends letters to her relatives and a doctor, inviting them to hear thecreading of the will. They have to stay a while to wait for the doctor to come and during those days voodoo magic is rampant in the house. After the first casualty, the newly arrived doctor starts investigating and they find out a lot about the voodoo practicing. This film was not very special, my expectations were a bit too high in hindsight. Apart from some funny stuff like crappy Skull Mountain effects, there is not much to enjoy. Most of the time it's actually quite boring. You might give it a try if you are a (sub)genrefan, but I'm not gonna watch this again.

Don't Knock Twice - Jess is a sculptor who had personal trouble in her past and therefore she put her daughter Chloe in a home. Nine years later she is trying to get custody over Chloe back, but she has to convicne Chloe that it's all OK now. In the meantime Chloe and her friend Danny visit an old place near their home, of which it is said that a witch used to love there, and when you knock twice on the door, the demon will come after you. They both knock twice, and soon after Danny disappears. Scared, Chloe seeks help from her mother, so now Jess is not only fighting for the custody, but also against the evil spirit chasing her daughter. Nice plot, not very original, but the best part is the ending: the final scenes make this movie instantly better, so my advice is to hang on until these final scenes start (about ten minutes before the ending). Acting is OK, the main characters all deliver a fine job (Jess, Chloe and actually the best one is Tira, the model for Jess' sculptures), atmosphere is OK but the movie is never very scary as it lacks buildup. All in all quite a nice film, not a waste of time but not an instant classic either.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:48 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Gorenos - read some reviews which stated that this was an original indie, taking you seriously as a viewer, not turning you into some idiot swallowing all horror cliches you can think of. So, I was interested! The movie starts straightaway with a dialogue about these cliches and why horror characters always act so dumb, so I felt like this might be it indeed. Because it only runs for 80 minutes, the makers didn't have time to make this film really boring, so action starts soon enough after some short-medium character development, of which I must say they really tried to let you get to know these guys. Almost the entire cast is black, but it isn't a blaxploitation in any kind of way, this movie is way too smart for that. While it might get a bit weary at times when the Parker character keeps going on about the ideal horrormovie, but if you hang on, you might be in for a surprise. Don't expect loads of gore: there is some, but it's not dripping off your screen. Don't expect busty babes running sreaming from the slasher, this film tries to convey a message and although the ending feels a tad awkward, the rest of the film is actually quite realistic as far as realism goes in horrormovies. Don't forget that this is an indie film, limiting resources, it seems to me that a lot of viewers are not taking this into consideration (check the very low imdb rating for example). I'd love to see what these guys can make if they get better opportunities. The ideas are there, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:30 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Prom Night III - basically a re-run from part two. The similarities are so overwhelming, that you might feel like you are watching the same movie. Yes, the cast is different, but the storyline is almost exactly the same, save for some of the murders (there are some actual good ones in here) and some added nonsense. The added nonsense is typical late 80s crap, like weird dance scenes with girls dressed up as, well, some kind of BDSM slaves or something? Not sure there. This film didn't impress me at all, maybe I should have taken a longer break from part II, I don't know. The whole funny stuff was lost on me, I don't thin k I'll ever watch this again.

Train to Busan - modern Korean zombiefilm, evolving around a divorced guy who brings his daughter to his ex-wife so she can celebrate her birthday at her mother's house. The guy works way too hard, so he doesn't have the time he needs to be a good father. In the train they take, they meet a whole bunch of other people, and one girl gets in just before the doors are closing. Unfortunately, this girl is infected and yes, it doesn't take long before the infection spreads through the train. The once selfish father now turns into a hero, going to extremes to protect his daughter, but not only her. The zombies itself are a bit different from classic zombies, as they don't attack when they can't see or hear you, and this helps the characters move through the train unscathed. Very nice character development during this film, it takes two hours so the director had his time to make something out of this and imo he succeeded. Sometimes a bit on the edge between moving and corny, the emotions go into a rollercoaster and left me satisfied when the end credits started to roll. Acting is good, effects too. I was entertained, this is one good zombiefilm! Recommended.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:02 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Drive Thru - teens get killed at a hell-themed fastfoodrestaurant which sports a mascot called Horny the Clown. The teens were present at Mackenzie Carpenter's party, and soon other people she knows get killed. Sometimes they are her classmates, sometimes her friends, and she starts noticing that she gets hints before it happens. After a while, she finds out that there is a conenction between all these teens and that the killer is not working at random: she might be next! While she tries to find out what is going on (and the police do too), the killer clown keeps on spitting out vulgarities and slashing through skulls like it's nothing. Very nice slasher, with quite some cliches but also some nice ideas. Mackenzie is played by Leighton Meester who is looking real sweet in this one. The effects are great and there is enough gore to go around. The jokes are nice, especially the ones after the credits: I laughed hard at Crocker's last comment. Fun ride, nothing pretentious, just hack and slash and have a laugh at times.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:14 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Arrival - a scifi film for the big audience. It starts in the home of Dr. Louise Banks, a linguistic professor, who tells us a little story about her daughter which brings laughs and tears. Then, we switch to the main storyline about twelve UFO's having entered the atmopshere on different locations spread across the globe. Banks is being asked to help out with the US Army, to try and translate the language of the aliens. On the helicopter which takes her to Montana where the UFO (called "shell" by the army) is hovering over the earth, there is also a physicist called Ian Donnelly, and together they start working on communication with the aliens inside the shell. Outside, all over the world, people are rioting because they fear an invasion from outer space. Both governements and military are extremely cautious and suspicious of the aliens, so when Banks and Donnelly finally seem to have understood the way they communicate, they meet a lot of resistance and by the looks of it, humanity is about to wage war with the aliens. Now Banks and Donnelly try their best to avoid this and preserve peace. Nice film, it moved me at times, but it also had it's pitfalls. I really liked how fear was portrayed as the bad councellor, and it showed nicely what fear can do with people, what public pressure can do to governments and what damage miscommunication can cause. On the other hand I was a bit annoyed at the fact that when
Spoiler:
humanity is on the brink of war with the aliens, it's the Chinese who want to start it and it's the Americans who succeed in preserving the peace. Not very realistic on the American part I'd say.
Also, the overly dramatic music was stretching it a bit in certain scenes, and although the plot was pretty clever, the film went on for too long, bcause there was a very unnecessary explaing sequence after the actual ending. That knocked off a good portion of goodwill from me for this film, but sadly it seems to be the treat to do for filmmakers if they want their stuff to be successfull. But still I had a good time watching this, and your two hours won't be lost. Especially that whole fear thing makes this film stand out for me. Go watch it if you are in for some nice scifi.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:18 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Had a little break from horror, but yesterday I had a fun movienight with friends:

Deadbeat at Dawn - Goose is a gangleader who wants to quit because his girlfriend wants to settle down and be done with all the drugrelated gangviolence. After he made his last deal on the streets he returns home just to find the lifelss body of his girl, and this enrages him so much that he is of course going to hunt down and kill every last gangmember he can find. This film takes some time to get going, the music is trashy and the image looks low budget. The scenechanges look like a kid's kaleidoscope, supposedly suggesting psychedelic events happening (but mostly we get to see a junk rabbling or nothing drugrelated at all). The final scenes are great though: you have to wait over an hour to get to them, but they are very much worthwhile: a chase ending up hitting something which is clearly a doll, a very gory handfight at a trainstation and a beheading by a car. Just for these scenes you should check this one out if you like bad movies, all the rest is pretty forgettable althpugh you can have some laughs at the acting and the dialogue.

Shocking Asia II: the last taboos - in the tradition of the mondo film, this too long "documentary" alternates between pretty bring stuff and pretty grotesque stuff. You get to see poor girls being happy that they can become hookers, faith healers who presumably open up sick people's bodies without sedation (unfortunately, this trick is being exposed shortly after, which was a bit of a bummer, even though it was clearly fake to begin with), monks who run a rehab in which everyone has to vomit a lot, Japanese sexual fetish stuff (part three is almost entirely about that but I recall that one to be pretty boring), spiritual fighting till everyone bleeds, animal fights (bulls and cocks), etc etc. I had more fun with this one than part three, I saved part one for last so I hope that one will take the cake.

Chosen Survivors - after a thermonuclear holocaust, a group of 11 selected people are being put in an underground bunker to survive and later repopulate the world. How the selection went stays unclear, but there are two black people, one Latino guy and the rest are all white, so it's not a very good representation of the US, or the world for that matter. At first, the people try to accomodate and they listen to the prerecorded instructions being shown to them via a TV screen. After a while, they find out that the birds in one of the cages are all dead, and their blood is all over the walls: bloodsucking batss are living in the cave where the bunker is in! Now the "chosen survivors" have to fight for their lives against the swarm of hungry creatures. This film wasn't so bad, just some effects and some plot logic was ridiculous, but overall this was actually quite tolerable. The acting was pretty good even, with Richard Jaeckl as the big name. So, OK scifi if you place it in it's time.

Congo - I bought this one cheap, after reading that it was about a talking monkey, and having seen the trailer I thought I'd be in for some nice Indiana Jones-like cheese. It wasn't as cheesy as I had hoped for, although the very fake gorillas made up for the lack of cheesy dialogue or wooden acting. The entire story was stupid, and the onesided characters all did very predictable things. The best part was when the fake gorillas in the lost city were fighting off the humans as if they were guards, and of course there was something about a mysterious diamond being found in the lost city etc, blablabla. The moralistic characters survive and all others perish in their greed. Hurray! I have seen "better" bad adventuremovies, so I can't really recommend this one but you might have some fun with it after all.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:29 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Prom Night IV: deliver us from evil - this one takes a turn more towards the first film, namely no ghosts. Instead we get an extremistic priest who kills "sluts and whores" (ie, young women who have sex), and who is being detained in a secret room of a monastery. After 34 years his guardian dies and the new one doesn't really do his job well (this part is particulrly badly acted btw) and now the priest is on the roam again. His target is a house where four teenagers are celebrating their private prom night, and of course heads will roll. Because several characters are so utmost stupid in what they decide in this story, it is next to impossible to take this film seriously. It doesn't have the comical sidenote of part 2, and it doesn't really get scary in any moment. I think this film would have never gotten any screentime if it wasn't named Prom Night IV, and that say it all imo. Pretty forgettable, but not an enitre waste of time if you like the atmosphere from late 80s/early 90s films.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:43 am  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Demontown - aka Glory Days. This was supposed to run as a TV series, but only 9 episodes were made, of which 7 have been released on a DVD called Demontown. These episodes are first gluied together and then split into three parts, so you get Demontown part one, two and three. To make matters even more unnecessarily complicated, "Demontown" is a pretty misleading name, suggesting that this is about supernatural events in some town. It is not. All episodes run for 40 minutes and are about one or more murder cases. In the end it's always a human being doing the act. The cast is not so bad, acting is OK enough. There is some eyecandy (Emily VanCamp and Poppy Montgomery) and there are some juicy supporting roles by Krista Allen and Meghan Ory. Problem is that this is not horror at all, and moreover, each episode is a complete story, which takes away some of the suspense. What is not concluded, are the lives of the characters, they keep being the same over and over again, like the "couples" who are so meant to be, they just keep on circling around each other to no end. Very annoying. Overall this is a teen TV series, cut short in the making. It's not really a problem that the DVD release is incomlete, as the entire series were never comlete to begin with. It's TV chewing gum material, you won't remember this long after you have seen it, I guess.

Black Fist - classic blaxploitation, but the viewing experience was hampered a lot by the bad quality of both image and sound. This was the last film on my latest Black Action moviebox and I'm glad it's over. Next blaxploitation I'm gonna watch will be in good quality, I have promised myself. The story in this one is unoriginal: Leroy Fist is a guy who earns his money by streetfighting and when he has saved enough, he buys a club so he can quit fighting. The mob however, is not very pleased with this decision, so they try to kill him. Instead, they kill his pregnant waife and now Leroy goes in berserk-mode to kill off the entire gang. Music is nice, and this film surely is entertaining enough, it's just a shame that this poor copy is the only print I know of.

Dans Ma Peau - weird French film about Esther, a woman who cuts herself while strolling at night in the garden of a house where she is visiting a party. At first, she doesn't notice she has cut herself, but the wounds are pretty bad and she assumes she was in shock. Only later she finds out that she has been bleeding for a while, and she starts being fascinated by the wounds and the blood. At work, she cuts herself, because she has an urge to see more blood, and be wounded again. Making a career in the meantime, she gets in trouble when her urges for blood are uncontrollable, and her fantasies take over while she is having dinner with clients. This is being portrayed very nicely, a bit surreal sometimes, so you don't know whether it is hapening for real or just in Esther's head. The scenes where she cuts herself are pretty nasty, she is even eating her own flesh at some point, and also inquiring about how to conserve skin. I knew what I was in for, so I was prepared, but you might be a bit shocked if you weren't before watching this movie. The ending is open, although I can guess what the meaning of it was. Recommended, not for everyone maybe, but if you can stand some weirdness (or know recent French horror cinema) then this might be a good film for you.

Monstro! - aka El monstro del mar! Ozzie film which starts in black and white, following three homicidal women in the outback: this is clearly a nod to Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! and a big one at that. After a short while, they arrive at the coast where they meet and old man who warns them not to go into the sea. Being rebellious, they don't listen of course, and therefore they awake a creature which has been living in these waters for years. Now the vixens the old man and his granddaughter Hanna have to fight for their lives against the monster of the sea. Very nice and unpretentious film, I had good fun watching this. It is never slapstick and it only flanks the so-bad-it's-good genre. The monster was nice, no cgi as I understood, same goes for the gore which there is plenty of in some of the scenes. If you like the older stuff (60s and 70s killer- and monsterflicks) you will like this one too.