Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:29 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver - third installment of the weird baked killer, this time spoofing movies such as Silence of the Lambs (Clarissa Darling, lol) and Carrie. The shallow storyline is about the Gingerdead Man rtavelling through time back to 1976 to a rollerskate boogie club where the annual election of the roller Boogie queen takes place. Of course the shy nerdy niece of the owner wins instead of the 4 time winner queen babe. The Gingerdead Man kills off many babes and some guys in the meantime. While this film was less cheap (no rerun of teh Gary Busy scenes from part one), it was also less raunchy and a bit tamer. Some kills were still nice, though the cgi blood killed my atmosphere at least a bit. OK-ish, but not as fun as parts one and two.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:34 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Dogs - 70s film about dogs having extreme trouble with pheromones, turning them into bloodthirsty predators. Aty a college, some biologists try to find out what is going on, while the dogs get crazier every day and pack up to kill cattle and humans alike. Although atmosphere is OK and the acting is also good enough, this story is very shallow and is pretty uninteresting outside of the dog attacks. Fortunately, the attacks are quite ferocious and vloody, so that makes up for the lack of suspense. I had fun, but I don't think this is a film I will watch again soon, it is just too mediocre for that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:30 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
The Guardian - the first horrorfilm by Willam Friedkin since he made The Exorcist, so I had some expectations. And fortunately, that was not unjustified! The film starts with an explanation about evil tree guardian spirits and in the first scene you see a family who lose their 4 weeks old baby to such a spirit. Then we jump to a couple who recently moved to LA from Chicago, to find out they are expecting a baby shortly after. They start looking for a permanent babysitter so they can continue working (to pay for a better house in the near future), and they find one which seems too good to be true. Pretty, caring, cheering references and their little boy likes her from the first minute on. So everything seems to be in order until a neighbour disappears, then the father starts to investigate a little and finds out more and more about their perfect babysitter. He has to be fast in order to not lose his son, but the sitter is ready for a battle! Nice build up, you know what is gonna happen but that just enhances the experience because the characters don't. The sfx are sometimes a tad crappy, but there are some genuinely scary moments, especially in the battle between father and sitter. It had been a while since I felt a bit scared watching a film, so that was great. Acting is good, there is some gore to enjoy and although the ending is a bit tame, this is a good film, recommended!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:39 am  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
I've never heard of the screamers, but talking of remakes... what did you think of Poltergeist and A Nightmare On Elm Street? I didn't think they were all that bad to be honest. You gotta let me know what the new Halloween is like. I have it, but it's not a great copy and I'm not allowed to watch it as my nephew wants to see it too, lol. We both absolutely hated Rob Zombies remakes of one and two, they were dire and we thought the way that he portrayed Dr. loomis was Abysmal. You can't replace the original Dr. Loomis, he was a legend. Well he was in our eyes :D :rock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:04 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
bag woman wrote:
I've never heard of the screamers, but talking of remakes... what did you think of Poltergeist and A Nightmare On Elm Street?
I haven't seen them. I'm very weary of remakes, although that's also a bit hypocritical of me as my favourite film (The Thing by Carpenter) is a remake :lol:

So I stick to oldies mostly, and I recently bought a DVD with 4 scifi fantasy gems from the 80s on it! The first film was

America 3000 - the world has been hit by a nuclear war and years after, there are several tribes living in the wasteland. The dominant tribe is one consisting of Amazonian-like warrior women, and they keep men as slaves for work and for breeding (seeders). There are also free men, some sort of cavemen who are very dumb, and some escapees. The women call men Plutorgs, and the men call the women Forla or something. There is a whole language thing going on with new words like "woggos", "naggy" and "solemn swear", making the film laughable but also a bit less understandable. There is an annoying voice over who makes dumb jokes but helps understanding the story a bit better because of the weird language and the lack of dialogue is several scenes. The main characters on the male side stumble upon a nuclear shelter where he finds lots of goodies from the 20th (??) century: a golden suit, a ghettoblaster and laserguns. Yes, laserguns!! So now they are gonna free the poor slaves in the women's camp. Among the female warriors, factions fight for the title of "Tiara" (it's queen but in a way of trying to be interesting) and this makes negotiating peace with the men harder, but of course they find out about love (actually it's compassionate sex, but hey) to save the day. Get beer, high and/or friends and watch this and you will have a blast. Highly recommended for bad moviefans.

This raised expectations, I wonder what the other three films are like, unfortunately I'm pretty busy in the coming weeks, so not sure when I can continue consuming this box.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:44 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
bag woman wrote:
I've never heard of the screamers, but talking of remakes... what did you think of Poltergeist and A Nightmare On Elm Street?

A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984) is probably my favorite horror movie. The remake was quite good in my opinion. It added some interesting things to the plot (like: the possibility of Freddy being a victim and not a murderer, the medicine that helps staying up and investigating Freddy's origin) that I really liked and were not in the original at all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:53 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Recently bought a box of films from a felow horrorfan, and this was among them.

Pentagram - aka The First Power. Lou Diamond Phillips is a cop in LA trying to find a serial killer in this film which is more a thriller with a touch of horror. The horrorpart is that the serial killer gets the gas chamber after having been arrested by Phillips, but after his death more victims show up with his signature on their bellies: a carved pentagram. He and his partner are gonna go after him with the help of a psychic, so they have to fight the usual prejudices and in the meantime try to prevent more victims to fall prey to this madman. Average thriller with some gore and at least one really cool kill (actually how they find the body is cool, because you don't get to see that particular killing), never really exciting or very interesting. There are many more, and better, alternatives for when you want to see a cop chase a serial killer. Only for die hard serial killer fans.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:27 pm  Post subject: Re: The Movies You Watched Today Topic!

The Ancient One
Rage 187 - aka Rage: Dark Reign II. I don't know of a movie called Rage: Dark Reign, so I'm not sure if this "sequel" actually is a sequel (a bit like Surf II). Released on the Emporium label, this is a guarantee for ultra low budget filmmaking and that is what this series of images gave me. The story is about a bunch of friends who party with each other every year at the beginning of summer but one time things go wrong: some of the friends turn up dead. The police is quick to arrest one of the frinds, but because they can't prove it was him, he is being released. Nine months later more murders occur, so the police knows where to look. But are they really looking at the right guy? More a thriller than a horror, this film doesn't contain much gore, it has a lot of wooden acting and long scenes with just dancing people where nothing really happens (the "party"). It was pretty boring, although the filmmakewrs did try to ake something out of it, witgh scenes in sepia, an attempt at a plot twist, etc. Unfortunately they also rerun several scenes which is a big nono in my book. OK-ish, but not very recommendable.