Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:06 am  Post subject: BBFC Finally Grow A Set (Hopefully)

Blood Sucking Freak
..it looks like the BBFC are finally growing a set of balls....

Quote:
Censors Slammed for Release of 'Eastern Promises'

British censors have been criticized over their decision to allow violent film Eastern Promises starring Naomi Watts and Viggo Mortensen to be screened uncut. The David Cronenberg film centers on the Russian mafia in London, and includes shocking scenes including one in which a knife is twisted into a man's eye and two victims have their throats cut in graphic detail. The scenes were so gruesome that members of the audience at the premiere last Wednesday at the London Film Festival gasped and turned away from the screen. Now the decision by the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) to award the film an 18 certificate without any cuts has come under fire from former censors. Andreas Whittam, former president of the BBFC, says, "If I thought this was the type of film that was likely to make people leave the cinema, or even make them have to look away for quite a while, then I would question why the scene should be left in." But the BBFC stood by the decision, a spokesman adds, "Scenes that make people turn away are part of the fun of going to movies. These days we are not here to cut; we are here to provide information and let people then make up their minds."

..hopefully this is a sign that "the people" are getting the chance to decide for themselves what they wish to see without someone making that decision for them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:16 am  Post subject:

Master Of The Dead Donkey
Gratuitous violence is not the main problem the BBFC have with films nowadays but sexualized violence. That is why The New York Ripper Fulci's remarkable sleazefest will never be passed uncut, or Deodato's risque House On The Edge Of The Park, or even Argento's classic 70s giallo, The Bird With The Crystal Plumage. Which suffered cuts for the infamous panty ripping scene. I agree the BBFC is slowing improving, but they still have a way to go yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:44 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
indeed.

It`s this quote though that gives a glimmer of hope that the tide is beginning to turn..

Quote:
"Scenes that make people turn away are part of the fun of going to movies. These days we are not here to cut; we are here to provide information and let people then make up their minds."

..I never thought I`d hear a spokesman from the BBFC say something like that, and after being a fervent BBFC hater since the dark days of James Ferman a faint glimmer of hope is truely refreshing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:05 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
They've been saying that since Ferman left - it's a lie, you only have to look at the ridiculous way they punished Blue Underground with Last house on the left to see that