Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:52 am  Post subject: The Most Disturbing American Horror Films

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
It seems we've come across some great disturbing foreign horror movies from discussions on this site. Some truly amazing finds, some to haunt our dreams for a long time. I was just thinking about what Americans have come up with in regard to truly disturbing horror. Some have been mentioned many times, but I'm sure that there are some more that have slipped thru the cracks, or slipped recent memory. I'll start out with some of my own picks, but everyones tastes are different, and thats what makes threads like these wonderful to read, and the movies a joy to discover.
Well then, in no particular order here are a few to kick off the proceedings::

1.The Last House On Dead End Street
2.The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
3.The Last House On The Left
4.I Spit On Your Grave
5.The Grudge (I know, not original, but they at least kept the director)

Lets hear what burned your psyche, or kept you up for the night :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:00 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Movies that scared me the most (when I was younger):

1. Stephen King's: It
2. Stephen King's: Tommyknockers
3. Final Destination
4. The Hole (not 100% horror)

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:55 pm  Post subject:

Master Of The Dead Donkey
I just watched The Girl Next Door (2007) last night and found it very disturbing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0830558/
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=16427

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:41 am  Post subject: Re: The Most Disturbing American Horror Films

Buried In The Backyard
bipbop13 wrote:
Lets hear what burned your psyche, or kept you up for the night :twisted:

1. Stephen King's "Pet Semetary (when that woman runs up to the screen. Crazy!)
2. Dr. Giggles (when I was a kid. Haven't seen it in years)

can't think of any more. That's my top two :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:05 am  Post subject:

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
Maybe it was cuz I was so young when I saw it, but Friday the 13th parts 1-3 scared the crap outa me. The collection is now among my favorites, but at the time, I wanted nothing to do with cabins or lakes or hockey for that matter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:11 am  Post subject: Re: The Most Disturbing American Horror Films

Buried In The Backyard
1. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
2. The Shining
3. Night of the Living Dead
4. Psycho
5. Maniac

USA also makes the best serial killer flicks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:43 am  Post subject: Re:

Site Admin
RedVeil wrote:
4. The Hole (not 100% horror)

erm, if its the movie I think you are talking about that's british:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=1746

and I wouldn't say i am a fan :lol:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic. ... 445#p17445

Unless you meant disturbing for that reason :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:04 pm  Post subject: Re: The Most Disturbing American Horror Films

Blood Sucking Freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:52 am  Post subject: Re: The Most Disturbing American Horror Films

Master Of The Dead Donkey
Quote:
1. Stephen King's "Pet Semetary (when that woman runs up to the screen. Crazy!)

I think I died a little the first time I saw that scene :beerchug:
I had goosebumps just by reading this, that's plain classic... it compares to the bed scene in woman in black, the ""why are you sitting in my chair" scene in The Eye... and so on
That part in Pet Semetary is just mean, so well done... it's supposed to be scary and damn it is :/ they're really mean to do that... :( anyways, whoever haven't seen the movie and feels like checking it out, I just hand them the dvd and say: Just remember one thing: "Zelda".

Brrrrr..damn frigging shemale from hell.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:21 pm  Post subject: Re: The Most Disturbing American Horror Films

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
dead end :rock:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:43 pm  Post subject: Re: The Most Disturbing American Horror Films

Site Admin
Truba wrote:
dead end :rock:

the only thing disturbing about that was how weird the marilyn manson driver douche looked :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:37 pm  Post subject: Re: The Most Disturbing American Horror Films

Skull Full Of Maggots
I personally dont think american horror movies are that disturbing. Mostly because they are unoriginal or been done before so the whole disturb/shock factor isnt there. But if I lived in the 60's then maybe the likes of psycho or night of the living dead would have disturbed me. Mainly due to violence in cinema was not done before. Not until video recorders were released then evil was made!!!!! muhahahhahaha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:58 pm  Post subject: Re: The Most Disturbing American Horror Films

Site Admin
095967 wrote:
I personally dont think american horror movies are that disturbing. Mostly because they are unoriginal or been done before so the whole disturb/shock factor isnt there. But if I lived in the 60's then maybe the likes of psycho or night of the living dead would have disturbed me. Mainly due to violence in cinema was not done before. Not until video recorders were released then evil was made!!!!! muhahahhahaha

You talking if you were from the states in the 60s? Depends if you'd lived through the world wars, Korea or you had been shipped off to nam :wacky:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:44 pm  Post subject: Re: The Most Disturbing American Horror Films

Skull Full Of Maggots
spudthedestroyer wrote:
095967 wrote:

You talking if you were from the states in the 60s? Depends if you'd lived through the world wars, Korea or you had been shipped off to nam :wacky:

Lol yeah I do sometimes sound like im from the past, but really im only 18 :P I just feel that disturbing horror movies mostly are european around the 70's and 80's when VCR's were introduced. Otherwise real violence was never saw in cinema's due to censorship etc. But what about modern horror I hear you all say? Well most of it has all ready been done before, days like today where american movies are just rip off's of something happened years ago. Its starting to happen with asian cinema too from what ive seen. Cept for battle royale, amazing movie and book!!! :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:29 pm  Post subject: Re: The Most Disturbing American Horror Films

The Devil, Probably
What is disturbing is very subjective. To me horror movies in general were more disturbing when I was younger. Also, when the setting and/or plot is very foreign or unfamiliar, or when the movie is on a crap VHS and displayed on an old small standard definition television.

The Exorcist on a crap TV with crappy reception and in almost black and white back in 1980 something was very disturbing. ahahha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:56 pm  Post subject: Re: The Most Disturbing American Horror Films

Skull Full Of Maggots
I love watching poor quality horror movies. Getting the old vhs of the likes of halloween an texas chainsaw are the only true way to watch them. I think its kinda off putting when they try and release HD versions. Does anyone still video record horror movies off the tv anymore?:P