Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:59 am  Post subject: The decline of the genre.....and my thoughts on Full Moon

Mummified In Barbed Wire
When I was a kid full moon had the coolest fucking horror movies out there. Sure they were direct to video and the effects werent that great but they backed them up with (in my opinion) decent story and semi decent acting. This was the early to mid 90's. I loved the first five puppet masters. Subspecies is still one my fav vampire series and Castle freak was cool too even though a lot of people on this site bash it. What happened to the quality and care that use to get put into low budget horror? A lot of people seem to forget that the original Halloween was a low budget. Hell, Carpenter only had 500k to work with and look how much damn money that movie grossed? These people now a days have five times that budget Im sure and they make absolute shit. I was once watching this movie called scarecrow and in the making of they actually seem to like the fact that they are making b horror movies and seem proud of it. How the fuck can people actually enjoy that shit. If I want to see someone waste a lot of money on something and enjoy doing it I'll watch flavor of love or something dont polute the horror genre. As for full moon, they are barely a shadow of what they once were they come out with the worst films now next to liongates direct to video I dont even let that stuff near my dvd player. So where have the good direct to dvd videos gone now a days? And whats with all the pg-13 lets remake old stuff and japanese stuff thats going on now a days. Cant people be more inventive? Oh and any news on trick'r'treat? :zombiemoan:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:49 pm  Post subject: Re: The decline of the genre.....and my thoughts on Full Moon

Master Of The Dead Donkey
Aye. Low budget didn't always have to mean low quality, as it so often does now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:08 pm  Post subject: Re: The decline of the genre.....and my thoughts on Full Moon

The Devil, Probably
Bleh... only a few gems surface each year, and sometimes it takes a year or two after release for them to get attention. Time is kind to low budget movies sometimes too... with age.. they get better. There is certainly a lot of crap to sift through each year to find the good ones. Easier to dip back in time to find the classics...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:51 pm  Post subject: Re: The decline of the genre.....and my thoughts on Full Moon

Dead But Dreaming
karstmobile wrote:
Bleh... only a few gems surface each year, and sometimes it takes a year or two after release for them to get attention. Time is kind to low budget movies sometimes too... with age.. they get better. There is certainly a lot of crap to sift through each year to find the good ones. Easier to dip back in time to find the classics...

I think the law of diminishing returns applies to the low budget horror (especially Full Moon and Troma).
You get a lot of rehashed ideas and some okay special effects. I too love the Subspecies series. I has a
minor Hammer feel to it with the nice locations (in Romania I think) and set design. But many of the other
series (Witch House comes to mind) are pretty standard horror fare.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:08 pm  Post subject: Re: The decline of the genre.....and my thoughts on Full Moon

Site Admin
I think nostalgia might be playing a trick on you here, the difference is quantity by and large.
Cameras are cheap and more readily available and any douche thinks he can make a movie (and the way they go about making movies these days, they can).

I don't think much has changed, barring a lull in quantity in the 90s.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:32 pm  Post subject: Re: The decline of the genre.....and my thoughts on Full Moon

Mod of the Living Dead
Quote:
Hell, Carpenter only had 500k

In 1977 - or around 1.1million adjusted for inflation, or around 4 times the budget of Scarecrow

I'm not defending Full Moon, or Scarecrow, but holding Halloween up as a hugely low budget horror movie isn't quite accurate, even Evil Dead cost around 1 million adjusted, which is way more than the 200,000 - 250,000 or most low budget modern horror.

I agree with spud here, for every Halloween there was a huge amount of shit released as well, I'm not even convinced budget really comes into play - More conviction of the director, cast and crew. Look at the amount of money Lucas spent on Star Wars, and that was fucking horrible, then compare it to a no budget flick like Cube or Primer (I realise they're both S/F though)

In Horror, there are some decent low budget movies that have been released fairly recently - May (2002) Budget of $500,000 and Saw ($1,200,000) to name but two

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:16 pm  Post subject: Re: The decline of the genre.....and my thoughts on Full Moon

Site Admin
Quote:
even Evil Dead cost around 1 million adjusted

Really, where did you get your figures for this one? That seems way too much... :o

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:19 pm  Post subject: Re: The decline of the genre.....and my thoughts on Full Moon

The Devil, Probably
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083907/business :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:18 am  Post subject: Re: The decline of the genre.....and my thoughts on Full Moon

Mod of the Living Dead
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Quote:

Really, where did you get your figures for this one? That seems way too much... :o

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

bung $350000 in there and adjust the dates accordingly, it's actually just under $900,000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:59 am  Post subject: Re: The decline of the genre.....and my thoughts on Full Moon

Site Admin
PC_Arcade wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Quote:

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

bung $350000 in there and adjust the dates accordingly, it's actually just under $900,000

I imagine its substantially lower, Evil Dead did not really cost $350,000... not unless they had a stripper and hooker party, or more likely counting in the highly aggressive marketing and advertising budget. :)

Certainly cost a lot more than scarecrow, you can tell by watching either :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:18 am  Post subject: Re: The decline of the genre.....and my thoughts on Full Moon

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
I'm with spud on this one. I'm pretty sure that the actual budget for Evil Dead was less than $50000. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's all I've ever heard it stated as, "less than $50000". If we're gonna take IMDb as a source, we might as well just make up our own numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:43 am  Post subject: Re: The decline of the genre.....and my thoughts on Full Moon

Mod of the Living Dead
I'm not saying it's correct, but Wikipedia is listing the budget as $375,000(!)

I always thought it was lower, and IIRC the DVD commentary says the budget was $70,000

God (and Sam Raimi) only knows though

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:17 am  Post subject: Re: The decline of the genre.....and my thoughts on Full Moon

Site Admin
Quote:
God (and Sam Raimi) only knows though

I'd hope Robert Tapert would know :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:25 am  Post subject: Re: The decline of the genre.....and my thoughts on Full Moon

Mod of the Living Dead
Good point :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:01 pm  Post subject: Re: The decline of the genre.....and my thoughts on Full Moon
Request Territory

Request Territory
The genre is kinda declining. The big studios want to make as much money as possible. That's the reason why you can bet that in almost every horror movie you will see some sort of blonde sexy girl getting almost naked just to be killed 2 minutes afterwards. A movie that really surprised me was Saw. New concept and that idea of being locked up in a room with another person and all that you would have to do to see your family again is cutting your foot off got me really excited. I would love to see more movies with new ideas and concepts. :voodoo:

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:11 pm  Post subject: Re: The decline of the genre.....and my thoughts on Full Moon

Servant Of The Dead Donkey
I used to get all riled up about this but I just can't anymore. I think it may have been when that direct to video remake of April Fool's Day came out, but I'm not sure...

I've come to realize I'd rather spend my time hunting down all these gems from the past, than pay much attention to any new releases. I've seen sooo many horror films, yet every day I come to this page and I find something new. Not new to time, but new to me. So, there's the new release that I'm going to watch.

I'm kind of glad Hollywood has fallen from grace, it gives me some time to catch up on all the movies that I've always wanted to see and haven't had the chance yet.

ImageImage
ImageImage