Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:07 am  Post subject: Slasherpool disappoints me, now

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
It seems like all the site is, now, is a shill for that online filmfest thing. It bothers me that so few films get high scores (very reasonable), but suddenly everything that is going in the fest got 4 out of 5. I understand that you only pick the best for something like that, but its not like the movies have been out a while. They are just released, they are picked, they get high scores. For the first time, I doubt the reviews on Slasherpool.

Oh well, so is there another good site that reviews movies about the time they become available on DVD/Divx?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:42 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Well, he does say that in some of his recent reviews that he trying to be obective as he can. Apparently he can't. :roll:

I have always taken Slasherpool in general with a grain of salt. Sometimes the reviews are way off base in my opinion, like with this fest some of the movies look horrible and get 4 outta 5. On the other hand, you have to look at it like any site, in the fact that it is the reviewers opinion and not always (Banners on a site, contests, or in this case a filmfest) an honest one.

I only really even go to three horror sites for reviews and one of them isn't even horror, but I like their perspective when they DO review horror.

BloodyDistusting, SlasherPool, and Twitch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:25 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
I don't agree with the site all the time. Its just nice to have a review of a movie before I see it. Basically, it saves me from watching all the crap that comes out and can point out the ones that might be worth a look.
Guess I'll have to try Bloody Disgusting from now on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:16 pm  Post subject:

Mummified In Barbed Wire
I don't know man, they didn't review some of the worst movies in the festival - probably for a reason.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:20 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Bloody Disgusting's reviews are not always accurate either. Tex Massacre will give great reviews for crap and bad reviews for gold. Then theres BC who just completely talks out of his ass, and IMHO is a total idiot. Mr Disgusting's reviews are the only reviews ive consistently agreed with, but he has a huge tendency to sensationalize movies that are good but not as great as he makes them out to be, ala Hatchet or Inside. Then great movies like Cloverfield (in my opinion, anyway) they'll overhype to point of absurdity. Im not saying overhyping a truly great movie is bad, its just the way they do it seems so generic that its hard to tell the difference between their enthusiasm for Cloverfield and their enthusiasm for Hatchet. When, the movies are obviously in two different leagues.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:51 am  Post subject:
Request Territory

Request Territory
Slasherpool is a good resource to me, the reviews seem spot on for many and really off on others, but the anthrofred writes enough to get me interested in a film regardless of his final score.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:55 am  Post subject: Re: Slasherpool disappoints me, now

Skull Full Of Maggots
The only reviews I read regularly are BD's, Slasherpool's and Arrow in the Head's. You're never going to to agree with every review no matter how similar your likes and dislikes are, but those are the only ones that are consistantly similar to my views.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:14 pm  Post subject: Re: Slasherpool disappoints me, now

Site Admin
Just don't listen to Roger Ebert... he's a goon :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:08 pm  Post subject: Re: Slasherpool disappoints me, now

Blood Sucking Freak
I didnt really pay attention to slasherpool until recently and I agree with bmoviecritic that reguardless of the accuracy of the reviews, its a good resource site due to the sheer number of reviews :o

What brought me back to this thread though was that I stumbled across a thread over at B-D that was moved into the deleted section, and it had 3 posts in it that really polish what I posted earlier about B-D's reviews. (and my comment about agreeing with mr. disgusting's reviews more consistantly than the other reviewers meant that I actually agree with a few of his reviews as opposed to not agreeing with any of the other reviewers, ever):
Quote:
[Se7enwolf] Bloody Disgusting or more so Mr. Disgusting, has the worse taste in movies. Pretty much every movie they give high regards to as being the best, really turn out to be some of the worst. Most "professional" critics have bad taste in movies in general but bloody disgusting is the worse of the bunch.

[MR_SLIPPIE1] Where's your evidence?

[Matt Python] BD quote from the cover of Automaton Transfusion - "One of the best Zombie films in decades"

and I would just like to add my own BD movie cover quotes:

Inside - "One of the scariest movies I have ever seen in my life" Bloody-Disgusting.com

TCM The Beginning - "A Grisly New Masterpiece" Brad Miska & "One of the Most Terrifying New Horror Films Ever Made" Mr. Disgusting, which are both from the same person lol

anyway, mascareiro and I have been having this ongoing discussion about how overhyped movies are and how disappointing they end up being. Im sure mascareiro is alot more forgiving than I am, but Im afraid that ive resorted back to the days that I didnt trust reviewers at all, and now I dont.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:37 am  Post subject: Re: Slasherpool disappoints me, now

Master Of The Dead Donkey
Quote:
anyway, mascareiro and I have been having this ongoing discussion about how overhyped movies are and how disappointing they end up being. Im sure mascareiro is alot more forgiving than I am, but Im afraid that ive resorted back to the days that I didnt trust reviewers at all, and now I dont.

I'm not forgiving at all, we discussed like 2 movies, and it was really a matter of taste and what to expect, There wasn't you and me talking killer hype by the time Hatchet and other little monsters of hype came out... Hatchet although fun in the end, was pretty overhyped... by that fat nerdy excuse for a movie geek from AICN... blergh, guy sucks. It's like mandy moore, I dare to say I know "exactly" what to expect of it, I can sense the atmosphere going on for the movie... all that to say discussing hype, movies and how fun, bright or demented they are is great times... but when quotes, reviews and paid for statements get in the way and TRICK people into drooling when a movie finally comes out, that's when the thing turns ugly.

So having said that... my 2 cents on nowadays horror sites (like I could talk about sites from when I was younger), review-wise:

It's hard to follow reviews from a site where 5 or 6 guys are writing and you (if you're like me) don't want to pay attention to who's writing a review for which movie... Bloody-disgusting is the best overall web site for news, it's the coolest to surf through and so on... but their reviews are really really all over the place... stuff like TCM Beginning, automaton and lots of others I wouldn't care to remember... not only they sound like 14 years that just turned into a horro fan writting (like every movie is so violent and therefore so COOL and so BLA) but they just go Woohooo over every quote they get on a DVD cover... nothing to be proud of guys.

Slasherpool is another hit and miss, I love what they do for the slasher subgenre... the mask collection, the slasher reviews... but they're also too "new generation" for my taste, sorry but I couldn't care less about reading reviews for every damn DTV flick that gets released... not to mention the asian stuff... I know plenty of people disagree with me, ok it's a good thing they do review foreign horror... but man, cover some of the zillion nice little movies you're missing that are not from 2006/2007... they have a good database of reviews, but they hardly if ever pick up a classic to talk about. But it all comes to the reviews themselves right? sometimes they're fine... sometimes they go like "rave to the grave is good because I'm a raver myself and stuff and... I..." blergh.. what?! and they're the kind of reviewers that can write 10.000 words of plot and what happens and what doesn't happen and not actually point strong and weak points.

joblo.com/arrow - to the point and hardly annoys you even when you don't agree.

upcominghorrormovies - again , right to the point... guy has strong opinions, and I find it amusing how he's like so hardly scared of movies, I'm exactly the oposite, he sounds like a bad mofo to me when he says "this was supposed to be very scary, it was alright but not for me because I'm hard to scare" badass ¬¬

Hysteria lives, twitch, shock till you drop and the aforementioned arrow in the head... -> :rock:

By the way, Fear... I'm yet to see frontieres... just finished the R5, might take a loot at it tomorrow ;p also need to see The Mist, Rec, Orfanato... can't wait to wash the hype off of my veins a little more and see how it'll feel like.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:46 am  Post subject: Re: Slasherpool disappoints me, now

why the hell did I write all of that? :| and Mandy Moore?! wtf... I won't even edit that

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:08 pm  Post subject: Re: Slasherpool disappoints me, now

Blood Sucking Freak
I totally agree with you on everything. Im *very* passionate about horror and I used to be very outspoken in the B-D forums when they first started, but the more conversations I had with people who didnt know what they were talking about, the quieter I became. Eventually I would only jump in the threads related to the newest releases, but those became so saturated due to the forum rules, I would leave a well thought out post and it would get drowned under all the "OMG I HAZ SEENES DIS IS GOOD" posts. Then, I started calling out the reviewers on their positive reviews for terrible movies, and that went no where either. I even got into an argument with an actor from one of the terrible DTV's from 2005 after he initiated the shit-talking lol. good times. B-D IS the best at delivering horror news though and if someone would replace their terrible reviewers, it might actually become even more popular, but I highly doubt that will ever happen. I whole heartedly believe BC and Tex Massacre are partially responsible for the DTV saturation. It seems like they give stellar reviews for every piece of crap that comes out.

I cant handle AICN, everytime I try to start reading anything on that site I get a migraine from how ugly the site is. I got all my Hatchet hype from B-D. From quotes like "Ive never been so scared in my life" to "The next legendary horror icon", pssshht I was like Hey I remember this movie when it was called Madman! And Hatchet wasnt even that terrible I probably would have liked it so much more if they had just reported the facts and been honest about what it is. Aside from that though, and the DTV's that actually ARE good, I am totally fed up with the DTV that is being churned out. I dont rent movies anymore and I was in a blockbuster a couple weeks ago for the first time in at least 2 years, and I was astounded at amount of DTV horror that flooded the shelves. My mom wanted a good horror movie and I couldnt find one, it was all DTV crap that I didnt even want to be associated with. So the fact that all the best horror sites cover the exact same things makes me that much more fearful of the direction horror is headed in general. Then, these same sites will bitch and moan about crap that they are not being paid to promote, like they dont feel a sense of responsibility for the genre. "Wah! We want better quality movies, but go buy automaton transfusion because its the best zombie film ever made! Wah!"

And the reviews themselves... holy. shit! Why the fuck would anyone read a spoiler filled review without reading about the plot or seeing the trailer first? Why do reviewers feel like they need to type out the screenplay for us as if we havent *just* seen the movie and want to see what someone else thought of it?? I cant tell you how many reviews ive read that were 2/3 spoiler filled plot descriptions ands 1/3 pointless statement along the lines of "Even though it could have been better, it was still pretty good. If you dont catch it in the theaters, go out and rent it. Rating 5 out of 5 skulls." But, im sure youve read plenty of those yourself, as you stated. So, this is really just my extended version of agreeing with you.

Ive always liked UHM, but ive never really payed attention to their reviews, and taking a quick glance only to find a positive review for Grizzly Park, im glad. I just like the way the site is setup and some of the features they have that B-D doesnt, like the list of horror films that were announced but never finished lol. They also name dropped the movie Vinyan in relation to Inside and Frontieres. Which I havent even heard B-D mention, so Ill have to keep my eye on it.

I like all the movie sites but they are all the same thing, with the exception of Twitch, so I dont spend too much time away from B-D, sadly. However, Ive really been digging Terror Trap and SlasherPool lately.

As for frontieres, if you can ignore the similarities to all the films that have come before it, its pretty awesome. As is Rec and Orfanato. I seem to be alone on not liking the mist though, which is a good movie, but the amount of love its received is more like a phenomenon than actual favoritism.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:44 pm  Post subject: Re: Slasherpool disappoints me, now

You're wrong about The Mist man... it's mostly a love or hate experience with few falling in between or being on the fence... a couple close friends disliked it, some other people just said it's an ok flick... whils obviously a bunch loved it to the bone. Can't wait to see it, gotta download the damn thing, I keep skipping major releases... frontieres on the other hand is down and ready to go :D will give it a try soon...

Yeah, the "movies that never happened" bit on UHM is cool, and like I said I usually dig his reviews, for one thing he's not easily pleased...so it's easy to see something that was given a good amount of "so fun!" reviews receiving a 5... like "ok, it's fun sometimes but it's pretty predictible, and kinda dumb"... know what I mean? he doesn't need to jump on the same train everyone's on... and that's how I feel, sometimes a movie seem to entertain every horror fan with the same amounts of greatness... ok buddy, but it can be not as fun for me, what can I do... a movie can have great kills and be boredom aside from the gore.

Ah BTW, I'm looking forward to Vinyan pretty hard, it's the next of Calvaire's director... he hasn't done anything since that one, and Calvaire is a very unique and beautifully done flick... vinyan looks intriguing. The next from Xavier Gens (Frontieres) has a similar title...something like vanukoro ... whatever, pretty nice concept too... period movie about castaways and an island filled with cannibals.

There's a little flick I'm looking forward to this month, called Gutterballs... you know it? it's really a small movie, it'll get a dvd release later this month, hopefully it'll make it to the ed2k network :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Slasherpool disappoints me, now

Site Admin
I'd say your both wrong about the mist; its not a love-hate thing since there's plenty of "meh" reviews too, and you are neither alone in loving or hating it :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:46 pm  Post subject: Re: Slasherpool disappoints me, now

Blood Sucking Freak
Its not that I dont think The Mist is a good movie, and its not that I dislike it enough to be negative about, id say in in the "Meh" crowd. I actually grabbed the 2gb rip just to have it 8) The thing that gets me is the staggering amount of people who are all "The Mist is the #1 horror movie of 2007 BY FAR, everything else sucked!, what a bad year for horror, yada yada" When the fact is The Mist wasnt THAT great. *refrains from rant*

Anyway, I did see gutterballs pop up on B-D's radar and I saw the review over at UHM, but I kinda skimmed it cause I dont want to read any spoilers. It looks like a good fun time though, a slasher in a bowling alley sounds awesome. Bowling alley scene in cabin fever, anyone? heres the teaser that I dont think is linked up on either site: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dFTUrABM6DE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:26 pm  Post subject: Re: Slasherpool disappoints me, now

Site Admin
The 2GB rip is an doubley encoded rip, its from a touched source.

I don't trust CODE releases, they oversharpen and there's loads of encoding errors caused by them using a re-encoded source. Its ridiculous them ripping at that size if its already been halved.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:07 am  Post subject: Re: Slasherpool disappoints me, now

Blood Sucking Freak
hmmm... i wasnt really paying attention. i assumed there was a 1 or 2 cd copy released with it, but now that i look around, I cant find anything to replace it with :P ill just grab on eof the propers when they come out :googley:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:17 am  Post subject: Re: Slasherpool disappoints me, now

Site Admin
I'd recommend giving serious thought before grabbing any CODE release, they don't have a good rep for ripping. :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:35 am  Post subject: Re: Slasherpool disappoints me, now

what rip should I get then spud? because now I'm going to see this bastard :rock:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:59 pm  Post subject: Re: Slasherpool disappoints me, now

Site Admin
well this is the problem, CODE comes in with these really shoddy re-encoded rips that are oversharpened, oversized and full of errors and because there's already an AFR those that rip to certain standards don't bother because the spread has already been tarnished.