Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:58 pm  Post subject: Horror films you despise...

Site Admin
I thought I'd write a thread for people to write about movies they feel they have grown to hate; because you don't see what's so special and everyone else does, because its consistantly herralded as the "bestest" horror ever despite being unoriginal/boring/terrible and this is at the expense of other great films, or because it was a painful waste of what you value; your time.

So I'll kick off the thread with one of the most despised films I can think of. This was a film I found boring beyond belief. This was a film that lacked all the things I require for the film to be watchable, acting, story, plot, interest, entertainment. This was a film that had perhaps the biggest viral marketing campaign of all time and existed solely because of it. This is a film that everyone that isn't into horror things is one of the best horror films of all time and because of this gets right on my wicks.

I'm talking of course, of
The Blair Witch Project
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0185937/

I saw this movie a week or so before release, right at the height of the aggressive viral marketing campaign. I understand that the gullable out there would have fallen for the 'found videotape' and 'authenticity' of the 'documentary', and perhaps the appeal is solely based upon that value. Unfortunately however, I am not a stupid person.

What I got from this film was one of the most drawn out and boring pieces of cinema I've ever had to sit through, I was praying for two robots and a guy to turn off and start mocking this film to get some entertainment value from this film but unfortunately, I was left hoping. Instead I got some of the most profoundly annoying actors/actresses, one of the worst scripts (largely due to the lack of) and pathetic delivery, a poorly directed and edited film.

This might have been tolerable as a 10-20 minute short because frankly there was only material for about 10 mins, and without any style, flair, direction, plot, humour or entertainment feature length was just downright painful.

I've argued a lot with people over the years, usually pointing out why people obviously don't think this is the 'bestest film ever', and that it has nothing to do with 'getting it' (which is the usual religious defence line) since its a very simple film. I'll just post a snippet from the last time someone tried to go on about people liking the movie and everyone else not 'getting it'

spudthedestroyer wrote:
I'm sorry but I disagree; people who bash this film are viewing it as what it is, a piece of entertainment, a piece of film making, and find it completely lacking on all fronts. They are annoyed that such a poor film ends up on "the best horror lists" and gets so much attention when it essentially existed as a cinematic release for the same reason tango became a popular softdrink; marketing.

The talent of people involved in the project outside of the marketing departments can be seen by clicking on their names and seeing what other projects they've been involved in. By that I mean the lack of.

The entertainment value of the movie can be seen by the terrible repeat viewing potential and how nobody really wants to watch it anymore. You can see the huge decline in aggregated ratings (although personally, i do not believe in the capacity of the mass public to judge quality nor do i believe imdb should leave the first years of votes unwaited as it suffers heavily from 'rose-tinted glasses').

Critically, the movie doesn't have a leg to stand on. It was all about how susceptable you were to marketing, and how gullable a person you were.

I saw it a week or so before it came out with the intense viral marketing in full flow, there's a lot of gullable people around and you have to understand, a lot of people just aren't stupid to fall for marketing like that. Personally, I'm an avid horror fan and I'd seen films like Cannibal Apocalypse and The Last Broadcast years before this dren came out, so even its pov style was old-hat.

I recommend delving further into cinema history, and the horror genre because frankly, as a film, this is bad. As a cultural phenomenon, it has noteworthy merit, but as entertainment... sorry bub.

Have a look here for some horror:
http://www.dead-donkey.com

I have frontpaged this movie, if you've never seen it you won't have the hype or viral marketing that may make you like this film:
http://www.dead-donkey.com/modules/shar ... ies&id=807

Ok they're in the woods. The camera keeps on moving. I think they're looking for some witch or something. I don't know, I wasn't listening. Nothing's happening. Nothing's happening. Something about a map. Nothing's happening... It's over. A lot of people in the audience look pissed.

Post a movie that annoys you/strikes a nerve...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:05 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

The Ancient One
Ok, I'll continue, however some people might hate me for this.

The first movie that came to my mind for this topic is: Hellraiser (Part 1)

Everyone says it's so great. For me it was boring. All that shit while the wife draws horny men in the house and kills them is so boring and uninteresting. The acting was bad in my opinion and there was too less moment with Pinhead and things that connected the story to hell. As soon as it began to become interesting it was almost over. :wacky:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:41 am  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Site Admin
wow... simply wow! I simply can not put into words a response to that. :o

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:38 am  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

The Devil, Probably
For me Halloween 3 was probably one of the biggest disappointments. I was expecting to see Michael Meyers and got nothing but crazy music and people behaving like robots. Simply stupid, if you ask me.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:39 am  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:

I cannot agree more about this turgid piece of shit. The strange thing is, as time goes on it's more and more difficult to find people that will leap to its defence despite the fact that it was "the best horror ever made" when it was released. People seem to equate its commercial success with it being a great movie, whereas its success was purely down to marketing. Really I can't think of another film that evokes so much passionate hatred in me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:32 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

The Ancient One
Whereas there are actually no movies I hate (hate is quite a strong emotion and I feel it very rarely), there are many which annoy me to hell. I'll post a list later.

When it comes to movies you don't like while everyone else does (like chupa with Hellraiser above), I can mention "Ravenous" as I have seen it three times now and can't find out why everyone is so jubilous about it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:43 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Demon Of The Abyss
All the bad acted low budget camcorded zombie flicks.

Actually I don't like any movie with bad actors.. except for those with Ben Affleck ofcourse.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:18 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Master Of The Dead Donkey
A fine, fine topic which I think could be a long runner.

Rest assured, I'll be p[osting a list of some size.

The films of Eli Roth will get a mention.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:03 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

The Ancient One
Films I really regret to have seen:

- Hangman's Curse
- Cubby House
- Revelation
- The Apocalypse Watch (OK, maybe I hate this one)
- Eyes of a Stranger
- Vampire Clan (also very bad!)
- Do You Wanna Know A Secret? (NO! I don't! Especially if I have to see this movie first!)
- Lost Souls
- The Android Affair

Maybe I have to add others in the near future, but these were all wastes of my time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:17 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Site Admin
Quote:
hate is quite a strong emotion and I feel it very rarely

Liar! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:59 am  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

The Devil, Probably
I would like to add the following to the list:
- Dust Devil
- Bug (2006) <- this is no horror if you ask me. it is psycho sh*t
- Room 1408

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:57 am  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Mod of the Living Dead
ViSCeRaL wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:

I cannot agree more about this turgid piece of shit. The strange thing is, as time goes on it's more and more difficult to find people that will leap to its defence despite the fact that it was "the best horror ever made" when it was released. People seem to equate its commercial success with it being a great movie, whereas its success was purely down to marketing. Really I can't think of another film that evokes so much passionate hatred in me.

Yeah, me too. I HATED this film at the time, I hate it now and will hate it forever. It's truly fucking awful.

I quite enjoyed the sequel though, although I can't for the life of me remember anything about it now LOL

Hostel II is another one, a pointless sequel to a film that didn't need one. It's no where near as good as the first, it's a cheap, lazy cash in and a hideous POS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:42 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Demon Of The Abyss
PC_Arcade wrote:
ViSCeRaL wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:

That's nothing.
I nearly had a fist fight in the cinema watching thru this crap.

I was laughing away my disbelief THROUGHOUT the entire movie.
Unfortunately, the guy left-in-front of me couldn't appretiate it.
Wether it was due he loving it or hating it .... well.... I forgot to ask :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:11 am  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Servant Of The Dead Donkey
Terror Toons.

i fucking hate this movie with a passion. most people agree with me but i am baffeled that there are a small group of people that love this movie. my only guess is that they are all stoners because i guess this movie would be pretty crazy if your high.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:41 am  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
Wolf Creek

What an overrated piece of crap. 45 minutes of nothing (the first fucking scene is a guy buying a used car...?!), then a crazy guy shows up, some boring cliche horror movie stuff happens and, then, the killer kills some people...with a gun?! Bullshit waste of my time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:53 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

The Ancient One
Yes, I forgot Wolf Creek! I totally agree with you, Chadman. An overrated piece of junk which makes you wanna have back those 90 minutes you spent watching it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:19 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Demon Of The Abyss
This is about detesting movies that otherwise only recieve praise and glory right ?

Put me down for argento's early stuff. :moon:
(susperia, inferno, ZZzzz....)
And all that overrated jap-cack :voodoo:
(Ring et all)

And of course alien 3. Even the little praise it does get is undeserved. :P
Hear not the filth uttered by revisionists :prat:
Fincher killed the alien :matrix:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:22 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Site Admin
Infact if i didn't know better from reading that reply geezus, I'd say you were AmericanAudienceImpl() :o

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

The Ancient One
Mmm, about the early Darios: I think Inferno is one of the best horror movies I have seen and it is at least my favourite Video Nasty. Do you think they're just boring, or overrated, or ...?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:53 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
Were you alive in the 70s and 80s? I really can't think of many movies that I watched then that I enjoyed more than Argento's stuff. I'd say there was a bit of a lull after Bird with the Crystal Plumage with the rest of his animal trilogy, but from Deep Red up to Tenebrae, they were classics. Even from there to Opera, they were pretty damn good. Of course, its all just opinion...