Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Demon Of The Abyss
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Infact if i didn't know better from reading that reply geezus, I'd say you were AmericanAudienceImpl() :o

Now how so is that again ?

I love Fulci's early stuff. And there's plenty of italian horror I DO like.
Same for japanese stuff. I just don't dig the critically acclaimed recent stuff.
Love spanish directors too.
I even like some brit directors :oops: :mrgreen: :P

And to shrug off my american impression, let me declare them war by taking the piss on what I believe to be an overrated P.O.S. that is...........

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE. the original.

DID he just..... :o :evil:

YES. I did. :moon:

Watched it merely 3 times. Had to watch it twice again to see what I missed.
Couldn't find it. Guess it was a shock to society for its time.
And I'm not disputing it had an impact.

A factor that should be taken in account is that I saw this flick relatively late (think it was '91) ; long after I saw more gruesome AND interesting stuff.
It's shock value just didn't have much impact on me by then.

CHADMAN: :oops: Forgot about Tenebrae. Deep Red too is OK, though again saw that one wayyy later, my senses somewhat eroded by then.
Was "Trauma" Argento's ? Liked that one too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:41 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Site Admin
Quote:
A factor that should be taken in account is that I saw this flick relatively late (think it was '91) ; long after I saw more gruesome AND interesting stuff.
It's shock value just didn't have much impact on me by then.

I think you'll find it did by the simple fact that there is no onscreen brutality or any real gore, and you've just put it in the same line with films that do have it.
Its the utter mastery in the creation of that film I have to applaud, its a film that makes you think you've witnessed something ten times that what you actually see... I too had seen it after 'gore' films, but its way more than just another one of them. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:31 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

The Devil, Probably
You know what I find most interesting? You all claim to hate Uwe Boll because he makes such bad movies. You even want to sign the petition that he stops making movies. So how comes that not even one of his movies were mentioned in this thread? I would have expected that he has at least the first three positions in everybody's list. But perhaps he isn't in because his movies are that bad, but because it is 'in' to hate him. :-P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:51 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

The Devil, Probably
wargand wrote:
You know what I find most interesting? You all claim to hate Uwe Boll because he makes such bad movies. You even want to sign the petition that he stops making movies. So how comes that not even one of his movies were mentioned in this thread? I would have expected that he has at least the first three positions in everybody's list. But perhaps he isn't in because his movies are that bad, but because it is 'in' to hate him. :-P

I'm more inclined to despise a movie because it is bad and I wish is were better than just because it is bad.

Almost every Stephen King adaptation for example... ahhahha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:07 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

The Ancient One
LOL @ wargand :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:46 am  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Demon Of The Abyss
Slayer wrote:
LOL @ wargand :lol:

X2 :mrgreen:

Did our sour german friend read the topic correctly :googley: ?

This is a HATE thread over otherwise widely & critically acclaimed movies.
Something that went lost to other posters as well, but monsieur Wargand ought to be held to higher standards then that :P :prat:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:32 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

The Ancient One
Geezus wrote:
Something that went lost to other posters as well...

Yeah, you're right, I posted a shitload of movies which are very unfamous (for all the obvious reasons, btw).

The only ones I can think of in the spirit of this thread are:

- Blair Witch
- Wolf Creek
- Jeepers Creepers

and, only for this place, because I never heard anyone else praise it:

- Ravenous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:21 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Site Admin
wargand wrote:

You actually find that interesting? :roll:

i don't in the slightest, and neither should you; His films are shit. That about does it, end of story. Nobody cares. It would be in everyone best interests if resources were spent elsewhere, hence why the petition exists. Its not hatred, but Uwe Boll is pretty much the film equivalent of some plastic shrink wrap around a plastic 30cm ruler, inside another layer of plastic shrink wrap, which is inside a cardboard box, that is wraped in another layer of shrink wrap, and carried around in a plastic bag. Nobody knows why its there, it serves no purpose... it just drains resources and won't go away.

Karstmobile is more on ball with this topic; the nature of despising requires you taking exception to something on some kind of level. A shit director of a shit film produces another shit film? dissapointing, but hardly something that you can hate without more vested interest.

If you think people hate Uwe Boll then you don't get it, sure a couple might, but by and large he's just a shit director that's the source of light entertainment because of how terrible he is and largely because he's like a benign tumour, or a layer of unnessecary polluting shrink wrap.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:23 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
i hate all the (exorcist) films after the heretic

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:06 am  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Mod of the Living Dead
You mean you LIKED the Heretic!!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076009/

Bloody hell!! 3 is MUCH better IMHO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:01 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Servant Of The Dead Donkey
Geezus wrote:
And to shrug off my american impression, let me declare them war by taking the piss on what I believe to be an overrated P.O.S. that is...........

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE. the original.

DID he just..... :o :evil:

YES. I did. :moon:

As an american, I would just like to state that I agree completely!! :rock:

I've always thought that TCM is completely overrated and would MUCH rather watch Eaten Alive or The Funhouse.

As far as horror films I despise, anything that has the names Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino, and/or Eli Roth attached to it. :suicide:

ImageImage
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:37 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Site Admin
wow, From Dusk Till Dawn and Planet Terror in one fell swoop? Those two are superior horror movies to most if you ask me.

I got one for me; imo Escape From LA "nuked the fridge" on John Carpenter's career... its been in the gutter ever since. I hate that film or the more than its shitty nature because of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

The Ancient One
Hehe, I like both FDTD and PT on one side AND Escape... on the other.

I don't like Ravenous so much, I think it's kind of mediocre. I don't despise it, but I really don't understand why everyone here celebrates it so much.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:53 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

I guess I'd just rather watch 70's films instead of films that are trying to be 70's films. Escape from LA was pretty bad, too.

I've never celebrated Ravenous...my ex-girlfriend made me watch it once and I was kind of bored. It wasn't a bad film, per se...just, dull.

ImageImage
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Site Admin
Slayer wrote:
I don't like Ravenous so much, I think it's kind of mediocre. I don't despise it, but I really don't understand why everyone here celebrates it so much.

For someone who doesn't despise it, you've mentioned it twice already in this thread :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:46 am  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
the Scream movies
The Blair Witch Project (I agree with the other posters here; talk about the emperor wearing no clothes)
any of the Hollywood remakes of Japanese horror films (although even the Japanese horror films are starting to all run together)
those Leprechaun movies
Halloween 3
Nightmare On Elm Street: Part 5
Wolf

I thought Phantasm was overrated, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:02 am  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

Buried In The Backyard
And I have to admit that I haven't seen Saw or any of the sequels yet because I haven't been interested in seeing them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:34 am  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

The Ancient One
You should definitely check out Saw. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:51 am  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

The Practice Girl
Location: Back in the glistening folds of Barbara Bush's Twat
I don't like the original TCM either...pretty much a snoozefest with minimal gore...only real decent scene is when she wakes up in the house close to the end. There are a few sacred cows I don't like...I could name them and the reasons but what's the point....it's only my opinion in the first place :lol: Saw was alright...although I think they have milked as much as they can from it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:25 am  Post subject: Re: Horror films you despise...

I will be skinned for this, but I think Evil Dead is overrated. Also Day Of The Dead I wasn't a big fan of, though I haven't seen it for quite a while.