www.dead-donkey.com
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/

The Thing "prequel"
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19287
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Mataesfola [ Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:13 pm ]
Post subject:  The Thing "prequel"

Bloody Discusting wrote:
Here's a little holiday present we got our hands on just for you! This afternoon we got the working plot details for Universal Pictures and Strike Entertainment's The Thing, their supposed "prequel" to John Carpenter's remake from 1982 that starred Kurt Russell and dealt with a shape-shifting creature from outer space that terrorizes researchers at an Antarctic facility. Read on to check it out.

"In the screenplay by Ronald D. Moore, the prequel takes place from the Norwegian camps point of view. An American scientific expedition to the frozen wastes of the Antarctic is interrupted by a group of seemingly mad Norwegians pursuing and shooting a dog.

The helicopter pursuing the dog crashes leaving no explanation for the chase.

During the night, the dog mutates and attacks other dogs in the cage and members of the team that investigate. The team soon realize that an alien life-form with the ability to take over bodies is on the loose and they don't know who may already have been taken over."

Sounds like a remake to me...

Carpenter's 1982 film continued the storyline of the Howard Hawks-directed "The Thing From Another World." That 1951 film starred James Arness as an alien monster that wiped out workers at an Army radar station. Both pictures were based on the John W. Campbell Jr. 1938 short story "Who Goes There?"


WTF? Leave "The Thing" alone! Why, oh why must they conspurcate every classic I ever loved? :suicide:

Author:  spudthedestroyer [ Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Thing "prequel"

That's ironic; John Carpenter's masterpiece leaves the ending ultra-ambiguous, whilst with this prequel you know the ending before you even see the opening credits :lol:

Author:  TaKYoN [ Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Thing "prequel"

spudthedestroyer wrote:
That's ironic; John Carpenter's masterpiece leaves the ending ultra-ambiguous, whilst with this prequel you know the ending before you even see the opening credits :lol:



While I am more than capable of enjoying a prequel, I still get that 'I already know how this ends' sensation. It can be hard to blot that out sometimes whilst I watch it.

They had best not fuck this shit up.

Author:  Jynks [ Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Thing "prequel"

Mataesfola wrote:
WTF? Leave "The Thing" alone! Why, oh why must they conspurcate every classic I ever loved? :suicide:


lol. JohnC's The Thing is itself a remake of a trully great scifi. So that is kinda redundant comment. You should check otu teh original some time.. it is frickn sweet. It is not one of the top scifi's of all time for no reason. I dare you to find a movie history doco on science fiction that dose not mention it in a major way. (introduced a number of cinima first stuff for dealing with monsters - (EG:- The human torch sequence, doorway sequence, lightning sequence etc etc)

IMDB and wikipedia fail to mention "the thing" and only credit "the thing from another world" But thre is much more of the film The Thing in this film than that other one... finding it in the ice, set in antartic, boddy swaping (well mind control in this film) charicter dynamics.


TaKYoN wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:
That's ironic; John Carpenter's masterpiece leaves the ending ultra-ambiguous, whilst with this prequel you know the ending before you even see the opening credits :lol:

While I am more than capable of enjoying a prequel, I still get that 'I already know how this ends' sensation. It can be hard to blot that out sometimes whilst I watch it.

They had best not fuck this shit up.


Meh.... people know the ending in films more often than they think... Like in Die Hard 4... anyone not think McLane would win the day? So we know they all die, but then we would expect that as JohnC's remake they all died.... so I think I would complain if they didn't all die :)

I am sure people will get over it.

The thing i am interested in (pun intended) is how the thing itself will look. Part of of freatness of the thing was the special effects... can CG really hold a candel to those old school awesome models?

Author:  spudthedestroyer [ Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Thing "prequel"

I was actually making a point; Carpenter's is claustrophobic, some of the finest hands on special effects in any film, ambiguious and well worked. This one will probably be a CGI filled polar opposite (damn that was clever! :lol: )

Author:  Jynks [ Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Thing "prequel"

spudthedestroyer wrote:
I was actually making a point; Carpenter's is claustrophobic, some of the finest hands on special effects in any film, ambiguious and well worked. This one will probably be a CGI filled polar opposite (damn that was clever! :lol: )


rofl

but yea... I do not thnk CG will cut it.

Author:  RedVeil [ Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Thing "prequel"

Since we know the end from the beginning this is perhaps not going to be any good. Except maybe if they succeed in developing some interesting and twisting who-is-alien-and-who-isn't plot. I will definitely watch it if I can and see whether they did care to give it some nice content. Call me optimistic, if you want to. :wink:

Author:  Mataesfola [ Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Thing "prequel"

I stand by my previous statement: Leave "The Thing" alone! Eaven if it´s a remake... The thing about "The Thing" is that is something special... Nothing more to say.

Author:  d0c [ Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Thing "prequel"

.... and where was this cut and pasted from?.... i want to read more..

Author:  Mataesfola [ Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Thing "prequel"

d0c wrote:
.... and where was this cut and pasted from?.... i want to read more..


HERE. But I pretty much cutted and pasted the hole thing, so....

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC [ DST ]
What's blood for, if not for shedding?