Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:43 pm  Post subject: Systematic Desensitization

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
Share friends, when was that magic moment in which you laid back, put your hands behind your head, looked up at the ceiling, took a little sip of coffee and thought to yourself. "Damn. I am one fucked up motherfucker."

That magic moment somewhere between the first, and three-hundred-twenty-second on screen murder when you realize that death, gore, and dismemberment do not phase you anymore. Thats when you can truly start enjoying horror movies, so the sooner the better.

I don't recall the exact moment myself, but I'm always remembered of my gore adore when I watch a horror movie with certain friends or family members. (One of my best friends can't stand the sight of blood)
:suicide: :eatthis: :hang:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:20 pm  Post subject: Re: Systematic Desensitization

Site Admin
Reality and film are very, very different. I don't count the enjoyment of horror movies as anything beyond the enjoyment of most other forms of cinema, like a disturbing drama.

When you see real blood and gore, its a very different experience since you are actually experiencing reality. I don't think my enjoyment of gore movies has desensitised me in the slightest to real violence and injury.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:06 pm  Post subject: Re: Systematic Desensitization

Master Of The Dead Donkey
A mate of mine works in child surgery, she was recently talking about what she has to do, graphic discriptions of procedures involving kids who are not even old enough to talk. Not only was I full of admiration for what she does, and how calmly she does it, but it also left me feeling quite queasy and light headed.

Last year when Mrs Perkin and I watched Inside, we were actually laughing at the rather extreme, er, 'home surgery' performed at the end of that film.

That's the difference, reality is reality, films are films.

Sex stuff? No that's where I sometimes think I might be a bit of a wrong 'un. I blame reading Marquee De Sade in the bath as a teenager. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:01 pm  Post subject: Re: Systematic Desensitization

The Ancient One
Xoal wrote:
Share friends, when was that magic moment in which you laid back, put your hands behind your head, looked up at the ceiling, took a little sip of coffee and thought to yourself. "Damn. I am one fucked up motherfucker."

That magic moment somewhere between the first, and three-hundred-twenty-second on screen murder when you realize that death, gore, and dismemberment do not phase you anymore. Thats when you can truly start enjoying horror movies, so the sooner the better.

I don't recall the exact moment myself, but I'm always remembered of my gore adore when I watch a horror movie with certain friends or family members. (One of my best friends can't stand the sight of blood)
:suicide: :eatthis: :hang:

When I was about 8 LOL Seriously, I had a zombie obsession from a very early age. Most of the kids were playing hide and seek and BatMan etc, My mates and I spent most of our time playing zombies. We even used to have alot of conversations about who would kill our parents if they turned. Obviously none of us wanted to kill our own parents so we make pacts to sort each others out.

I loved my childhood.

Fuck that, I also used to have alot of dreams that Freddy Krueger was my mate and I was like an assistant.

Shit, thinking about it I really am fucked up LOL

@Spud, so with you on that one, my enjoyment is not to do with wishing it was real. I am OK with blood in real life, but I do not like watching medical progs and the like. I would say I am desensitized when it comes to films, but no, real life is still real.

@perkin, I have to say that I agree. It is the same reason I could not be a fireman, the thought of actually seeing dead people, especially children, makes my spine shiver. I am fairly certain I could not work with dying people either, it would break my heart and remind me of my own mortality. Admiration all round for guys that do have to deal with that shit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:10 pm  Post subject: Re: Systematic Desensitization

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
It's the gore we adore...a matter of splatter...fun times indeed...watching horror movies with my older brother when I was a kid scarred me for life.

There's a huge difference between being desensitized and just having seen it all before. As a horror fan I've have been watching movies for years and have seen just about anything you can imagine (blame it on the fat video rental guy across the street). It's getting more and more difficult to show me something to make me gross out. But no doubt that in real life I might think some of this stuff is more than gross to say the least.

So yeah sure I've become more used to the predictable gratuitous blood 'n gore shown in horror movies, but I will never become too desensitized to the subject matter depicted in certain movies that aren’t afraid to cross the line...

Funny...instead of being affected by the violence being depicted onscreen..."the blood looks CGI!"

*TaK, lovely you and Freddy...as a child I recall having dreams about killing unicorns and fairies :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:01 pm  Post subject: Re: Systematic Desensitization

The Ancient One
TaKYoN wrote:
@Spud, so with you on that one, my enjoyment is not to do with wishing it was real. I am OK with blood in real life, but I do not like watching medical progs and the like. I would say I am desensitized when it comes to films, but no, real life is still real.

+1, nicely put TaK.

vermin wrote:
It's the gore we adore...a matter of splatter...fun times indeed...watching horror movies with my older brother when I was a kid scarred me for life.

This reminds me of that thread in which we all posted why we were watching "this sick shit": viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13718&hilit=sick+shit

I also found an older one: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2012&hilit=sick+shit

vermin wrote:
Funny...instead of being affected by the violence being depicted onscreen..."the blood looks CGI!"

Hehe, same here :wink: When I do things like that in regular movies which I watch with the gf, she hates me for it :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:25 am  Post subject: Re: Systematic Desensitization

Skull Full Of Maggots
My Great Grandmother used to "keep me in line" when I stayed the night by making me watch horror movies on Beta-Max. Anytime I stayed the night she would make me watch a random horror movie. Exorcist, Nightmare on Elm Street, X of the dead, Punkinhead, Phantasm, Poltergiest, etc. And every night she would tell me "Now dont get out of bed in the middle of the night or bloody bones will reach up and grab you and pull you under the bed and eat you!". She was totally sinister. Anyhow, it was my 7th birthday and I stayed the night with her. Of course she did that again. Well by god that night I was about to piss myself and just HAD TO GO. Fuck Bloodybones, right? I guess thats when the desensitization happened. When I could hold my pee in anymore? lol

Got up and ran to the bathroom .... with a leaky faucet. I know the butt-whipping she would have given me for pissing in the bed would have been far worse than anyhting bloody-bones could have done to me :beerchug:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:52 am  Post subject: Re: Systematic Desensitization

Demon Of The Abyss
LOL. Wonderfull grandma you got there. Mine just used to force me to torture the girls in the basement... :rock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:35 pm  Post subject: Re: Systematic Desensitization
Request Territory

Request Territory
I remember looking at rotten.com and all that stuff growing up so I guess I spoiled my brain early. It is weird though how you can just laugh at cheesy horror film gore but the real stuff gives you that sick feeling...

Pretty funny Grandma story, Ahunt...Reminds me of that movie Granny (anyone seen that?)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:44 pm  Post subject: Re: Systematic Desensitization

Skull Full Of Maggots
Is it an older movies pre-80's? If so she may have drawn her inspiration from that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:03 pm  Post subject: Re: Systematic Desensitization
Request Territory

Request Territory
Hah hah nope it wasn't that old. Apparently there's more than one horror film about grannies though:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=video
http://www.amazon.com/Granny-Kate-Dugan ... pd_sbs_v_1

I think it was the 1994 one I saw. Found a pretty funny quote from a review of it:
"It’s not often you see a movie which features a wrestling match between a 14-year-old boy and a terminally ill elderly woman in a wheelchair"
-http://horror.blogs.com/absolute_horror/2005/08/the_granny.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:35 pm  Post subject: Re: Systematic Desensitization

The Ancient One
zgrade, I do not think I have seen either of those titles. May have to have a little look tomorrow, when my brain is functioning at an acceptable level. Somewhat under the green influence currently.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:58 pm  Post subject: Re: Systematic Desensitization

Site Admin
There's also Troma's Rabid Grannies:
http://www.amazon.com/Rabid-Grannies-Ca ... 779&sr=1-1

:)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Systematic Desensitization

The Ancient One
Rabid Grannies I have seen. It was OK but then again I am not a huge Troma fan.

Saying that, you have to love Toxie.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:26 pm  Post subject: Re: Systematic Desensitization

Skull Full Of Maggots
I grew up in a household where both of my parents worked in a hospital and let me tell you when you see gore on the screen it may make you cringe and you may think "wow that was fucked up" but that in no way compares to the visceral experience of seeing real blood and real guts. While waiting for my parents to get off work I saw so many completely messed up things get rushed by me into the emergency room on a gurney. The reality is that even if you look at pictures of dead people on rotten or ogrish (you know those fucked up dead body oogling websites). It still doesn't compare to what my parents (and very rarely myself) had to deal with. They had to watch the life drain out of peoples eyes on a daily basis.

It all boils down to this: I have seen many movies with rape, torture, and violence in them but none of them compare to the time that I was waiting for the bus after high school. At the bus stop I saw one homeless man run up to another and start punching him in face really hard. Shocked and unable to move, I watched as his face slowly get distorted into a bloody mess. It was only when he shoved the mans head under the wheel of a bus that was due to leave that the shock wore off and myself and other members of the crowd pulled him off the bleeding man. He quickly fled the scene and the bleeding man also eventually got up and with the help of a "friend" who didn't help him as all of this was going down also fled the scene leaving a trail of blood on the sidewalk as they went. On the bus ride home I was shaking due to the amount of adrenaline in my system. I don't get adrenaline shakes watching movies because they are fake and even when they are of real stuff, you are not there and it is completely different, trust me.

So, no, there wasn't a point that I thought "wow I am really fucked up" after watching a movie, although I have felt dirty after watching particular movies, I realize that they are fiction and leave it at that.