Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:06 am  Post subject: Repossession Mambo (2009)

Site Admin
Quote:
Set in the near future when artificial organs can be bought on credit, it revolves around a man who struggles to make the payments on a heart he has purchased. He must therefore go on the run before said ticker is repossessed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1053424/

Sounds awfully familiar huh?

Quote:
A very similar film has entered production titled Repossession Mambo which shares the same basic plot. Editing of these films took place in adjacent studios. It is to be noted that Repo! The Genetic Opera was in production well before this film was announced, and had existed as a play for several years before the movie began filming.[32].

It is also interesting to note that Repossession Mambo is being produced by Universal Pictures, a company that had agreed to bankroll Repo! if Darren Lynn Bousman had agreed to remove the musical aspect of the film and approach it from a more "legitimate" angle. Bousman declined and began his personal mission of seeing Repo! to fruition. Reference: Q&A with Darren Lynn Bousman (director) and Terrance Zdunich (co-writer and actor) held November 16, 2008 in Maitland, FL.

He also said during a Q&A in Cincinnati, that a lot of the crew from Repo Mambo were trying to get the crew of Repo! to work for them, and that editing took place at the same time in studios next door to each other. And that he highly doubts people will be showing up to showings of Repossession Mambo "dressed up as Jude Law and Forest Whitaker... I'm pretty zen about it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repo!_The_ ... ontroversy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
Its always sad and funny when this happens

Day the Earth Stood Still -> The Day The Earth Stopped

Transformers -> Transmorphers

and now this.

It seems to me that these are made to confuse parents that don't speak English as a first language. They see something close, and assume.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:31 pm  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

The Ancient One
what about..

A Bugs Life -> Antz
The Wild -> Madagascar
Meet the Robinsons -> The Incredibles
Shark Tale -> Finding Neo

and so on...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

Demon Of The Abyss
John_Doe wrote:
what about..

A Bugs Life -> Antz
The Wild -> Madagascar
Meet the Robinsons -> The Incredibles
Shark Tale -> Finding Neo

and so on...

I loved Finding Neo, with the matrix and bullet time and all that shit, or should I say fish?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:06 pm  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

The Ancient One
Neo? That is Matrix. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:16 pm  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

The Ancient One
haha, my wireless keyboard has a bad connection..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:38 pm  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

The Ancient One
What about

Aliens vs Predator -> Aliens vs Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:04 am  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

Site Admin
elchupacabra wrote:
Neo? That is Matrix. :lol:

Plagarism does apply to that franchise mind you ;)

Dark City -> The Matrix
Deep Impact -> Armageddon
A Nightmare on Elm Street -> Dreamscape
Transformers -> Go-Bots
Weird Science -> Real Genius and My Science Project
The Abyss -> Deepstar Six, Leviathan, The Evil Below, and Lords of the Deep
An American Werewolf in London -> The Howling
Terminal Velocity -> Drop Zone
Twister -> Tornado!
Dante's Peak -> Volcano
The Truman Show -> EdTV
Braveheart -> Rob Roy
The Prestige* -> The Illusionist

I may have got some of these the wrong way round, I'm assuming the popular one is the original and the others rip offs.

This one sounds like a blatant ripoff, saying no to the director then stealing his idea!

* The Illusionist did a load of damage to this movie in my view, the prestige is a great film!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:11 am  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

The Ancient One
hmm, I remember liking The Illusionist a lot better than The Prestige.

But what's up with this phenomenon? Why are there so many very similar movies always coming out at the same times? The crappy Asylum copies are of cource nothing but obvious cheap attempts at cashing in on a household name.. but can the same also be said for such as EdTV or Armageddon. Not saying either of those are very good, but are they results of corporate "espionage" as such? Are the big industry companies constantly probing eachother's ass, to see what shit they can make money out of, or are most of them simply outragous coincidences, sorta like a lot of new inventions have been made at almost the same time on totally different places in the world? Part of the whole cosmic unconsiousness, and all that jazz...?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:26 am  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

Site Admin
You remember? That doesn't sound very confident, and the Prestige isn't one I'll be forgetting. That doesn't sound like someone who's seen the movie! :lol:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482571/

To jog your memory:
+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:37 pm  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

The Ancient One
yeah.. now I remember.. I really liked the very low-key (or simple prestige, if you will) way Edward Furlong would present his illusions in The Illusionist. And generally I thought it had a better story and feel, atmosphere, cintematography, etc than The Prestige.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:30 pm  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

Dead But Dreaming
@ Spud: Brilliant! When I saw the Prestige, I did not recognize Bowie until I saw his name in the credits. :oops:

I never saw the Illusionist. I guess I just picked the right one? When I get around to it, I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

The Ancient One
Oberon wrote:
I never saw the Illusionist. I guess I just picked the right one? When I get around to it, I'll check it out.

Same here. I've never heard of the Illusionist. Prestige is awesome. I like how the role of the good and bad guy switches. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:04 pm  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

The Ancient One
I've also often wondered why Hollywood often seems to produce two almost identically themed movies at more or less the same time.

Maybe if word gets round that one studio is producing a movie around a particular high concept (sky diving!... asteroids! etc.) another studio will run with the same idea in the hope that their movie will capitalize on the other's success.

Not that different from what The Asylum does then, just with a bigger budget and a less confusingly similar title. :lol:

Last Release: The Food of the Gods (1976)
NZB: download/file.php?id=436

Coming Soon: Cat's Eye, The Uncanny, Food of the Gods 2, The Devil's Men, Studio 666.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:52 pm  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

The Ancient One
spudthedestroyer wrote:
An American Werewolf in London -> The Howling

This is an exception to the rule, IMO. I liked both movies and I didn't think of the other while watching one of them (apart from the obvious thing that there's a werewolf in both of them).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:39 pm  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

Site Admin
There was a bit of rivalry on the SFX front:
Quote:
Originally Rick Baker was doing the special effects for the film, but he left the production to do An American Werewolf in London (1981). Baker left the effects job for 'The Howling' in the hands of assistant Rob Bottin. Both 'The Howling' and 'An American Werewolf in London' were released the same year and both received praise for their makeup work.

Werewolf won the Oscar.

I don't know which one came first, only American Werewolf did a lot better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:41 am  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

Demon Of The Abyss
Yeah, but there were about 100 Howlings and just two American Werewolfs... The Howling rules! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:03 pm  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

Site Admin
That doesn't really make a point; there's loads of high school musicals.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:49 pm  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

Demon Of The Abyss
spudthedestroyer wrote:
That doesn't really make a point; there's loads of high school musicals.

High School Musical rules! (Not as much as Howling, there's more Howlings). See my point?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:22 pm  Post subject: Re: Repossession Mambo (2009)

Demon Of The Abyss
Anyway, I think I´ll wait for "Repossessing: An Heavy Metal Fantasy"! :rock: