Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:52 pm  Post subject: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

Site Admin
If you survived the title medley, I was wondering if anyone had seen any movies by this chump?
http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0248373/

Hector Echavarria

I'm not sure how I stumbled across his imdb, I was actually looking up good martial arts films having just come off seeing the excellent Fist of Legend starring Jet Li. Anyway, his credits look like utter stinkers, and he has FIVE films out this year!

I found his name going to this imdb:
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt1307989/

I think it was through an nzb indexing site and its just been released. The imdb board posts are hilariously negative, so am giving people the heads up! Definitely looks like our territory of stinkers :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:55 pm  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

Site Admin
hey and clicking through the credits of the movies, he seems to have whipped up a possé of wenches. We might have a genius in the making here!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

The Devil, Probably
:D Looks promising to me :beerchug:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:28 pm  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

Site Admin
On a more serious note, those kind of films are usually just trash! So to counter that, what good martial arts films are about? I'm into epic fights at the moment.

Recently watched:
The Drunken Master
Fist of Legend (ace!)
Ong-Bak
Ong-Bak 2 (better than the first, although still a bit messy)

Please assume I've seen nothing, but the above :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:02 pm  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

The Ancient One
The title of the movie (Never Surrender) reminded me of this one: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0089695/

I really liked that one. It has a great (epic?) final fight scene with Jean-Claude Van Damme.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:27 pm  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

Site Admin
Jean-Claude Van Damme and fight scenes usually have associations with shit and wank for me... most of his stuff isn't even in the same book as asian martial arts films, let alone being on the same page! :lol:

For his movies, I'll just youtube the fights and skip the rest! :googley:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:11 pm  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

Dead But Dreaming
Jet Li's once upon a time in china movies
chocolate
jackie chan's first 3 police story
enter the dragon of course
any shaw brothers movie you can get your hands on :)
Ip Man
Fearless
The rebel

i'll say that's enough for getting you started :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:17 am  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

Dead But Dreaming
SPL (Best of the modern martial arts flicks hands down)
Eastern Condors
Prodigal Son
Pedicab Driver
Above the Law
Wheels on Meals (The Jackie Chan vs Benny the Jet Urquidez fight is what you show people who make fun of Jackie Chan movies. Truly epic.)

Pretty much any pre 90's Jackie Chan flick, and anything with Jackie, Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung together.

As far as best bang for your buck, Id say Millionaire's Express. It has just about every famous HK star in it from the 80's Including but not limited to:

Sammo Hung
Cynthia Rothrock
Richard Norton
Yuen Biao
Jimmy Wang Yu
Yukari Oshima
Bolo Yeung (cross eyes from Bloodsport)

Finally, if you can get your hands on either:
Art of Action: Martial Arts in the Movies
The Deadliest Art: The Best of the Martial Arts Movies
They are both documentaries about Hong Kong movies, but pretty much just an excuse to show you some of the best fights ever put on screen (pre 2000)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:41 am  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

Site Admin
downloaded SPL and Legend of the Drunken Master (Drunken Master 2), will take em back to malaga and watch em there :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:52 am  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

Dead But Dreaming
spudthedestroyer wrote:
downloaded SPL and Legend of the Drunken Master (Drunken Master 2), will take em back to malaga and watch em there :)

Both very good flicks, have fun with those.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

Site Admin
well that was dissapointing, i just wasn't feeling SPL, wasn't a fan.

And the legend of drunken master lasted all of 30seconds. It was dubbed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:43 pm  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

Site Admin
oh wow,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunken_Ma ... D_versions

That sucks so badly, can any of you criminal masterminds help me out with a rip that:
a) has the original AR
b) is not cut by dimension or any other western MPAA nazis
c) is not dubbed!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:08 pm  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

The Devil, Probably
Look at this and see how "great" the IMDb page works: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0056758/ :vomit:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:31 pm  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

The Devil, Probably
beossoeb did one not too long ago in original language, its available at iTS. Dunno about the ed2k. I could share it on ed2k but i'm resharing a lot of stuff, helping out spreading some other stuff and a bunch of releases still have to be spread, and this all with my whopping 50 kbps upload speed :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:17 pm  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

Site Admin
Can you find out if it meets all of the criteria, there's heavily cut 'original language' versions too :o

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:43 pm  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

Master Of The Dead Donkey
Quote:
The original region 0 DVD release of Drunken Master II is the only version which is entirely uncut. However the aspect ratio is cropped to 1.78:1 from the original theatrical 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

so, no DVD can meet a) to c). the source of beossoeb's rip is a custom DVD, it has the original AR and audio, but not the last 35 seconds mentioned in the wikipedia article.

a full description of the custom DVD used by beossoeb:
Quote:
This is my attempt at making a decent DVD of this neglected masterpiece, using as a source the anamorphic video and the subtitles of the Miramax PAL DVD and the audio tracks of the Warner Bros DVD. The WB DVD is not only letterboxed, but also has a very prominent red tint (a problem with every asian release of this film apparently), and while having an English audio track (more about this later) it does not include English subtitles. I also included the original ending with English subtitles in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio (not my rip, I don't even remember where I got it), making it anamorphic for compatibility issues (read: I didn't want to bother with the remote to change the tv aspect ratio), in NTSC format so beware if you have a 10 year old DVD player.
You may ask why didn't I try to merge the two sources to make an "uncut" version; well, first of all I think they weren't wrong by describing it as "tasteless" (not to mention it feels much more like a classic kung fu movie by having it end right after the final fight), secondly the WB DVD contains what appears to be some kind of HK international cut, with English titles and an English dub totally different from the Miramax one, that ends right after the Jackie spitting bubbles scene. I tried to replicate this cut because I feel it's much better than both the original HK cut and the US cut (which uses the first half of the original ending). Seamless branching was not an option since it would have messed up the soundtrack, and frankly I didn't want to bother re-synching another audio track. Since I couldn't find the R1 DVD I used a R2 PAL release as a source, I didn't touch the video (except for a bunch of seconds that had to be re-encoded with TMPEG for editing reasons) and I think my source was untouched as well. Changed the sample rate, pitch-corrected and re-synched the audio tracks using Adobe Audition. Please note that while some parts may appear slightly out of synch this is not a result of a bad re-synching on my part, it's just your usual crappy HK post-production, I did my best to make audio and video match like they do on the WB DVD. I included the USA dub as a bonus; it was originally a 5.1 track, but for some reason I couldn't rip it without corrupting it so I managed to fix it downmixing it to stereo (adding a fade out effect to smooth out the ending while I was at it).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:02 pm  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

Site Admin
damn :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:22 am  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

Dead But Dreaming
Atleast watch the last fight in SPL. :( so good.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:27 am  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

Dead But Dreaming
SPL is indeed a great movie, but it can't be watched as a martial arts movie coz in that way it will let you down.

SPL it's an action thriller with great fights specially between sammo hung and donnie yen, but it's not a full non-stop martial arts flick.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:51 am  Post subject: Re: Chuck Claude Van Seagull 2.0? Hector Echavarria!

Site Admin
Indeed it let me down since I was expecting a modern day Fist of Legend; I prefer those kind of films to be a bit more like Hard Boiled :)