Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:31 am  Post subject: Films that are better than the book

The Ancient One
*From Carrie thread*

this is about the only example I can think of where the film is actually much better than the book.
well, it was his debut... shows how much SK has evolved as a writer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:01 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
@Spud
Yeah, that came to my mind :lol:

@J_D
True. I would say that 'The Shining' is almost the other one. It's just so brilliant movie, but then again it's differs from the book quite a bit, but after all these years I can't decide which one is better. The book or the movie version of Shining :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:06 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
the movie... sorry Mr King :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:07 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
ahh, just remebered another one: The Exorcist. Peter Blatty told a hell of a story, I'll grant him that, but as for the writing itself.. ugh. =(

hehe, and even more: Naked Lunch! Anyone tried to read that? GOOD LUCK!

And Candyman. Although the story was good, the movie was fantastic!!!!

damn.. seams there are a couple after all....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:54 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
yeah, with candyman every change they did was an improvement :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:25 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
oh yeah, I totally forgot 'The Exorcist' (how's that even possible?). The movie beats the book by far...

Have to check out that 'Naked Lunch' someday :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:00 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
yip, blatty's book i liked.
i dont like it that films leave so much out, such as the part where dimmy is replaying the blank tapes to hear voices. its been like 15 years since i read the exorcist, so i am a bit hazy.

I hear that the remake of the shining (the miniseries) is supposed to be faithful to the book. I havent seen the miniseries (or read the book), but i'd like too. errr, see the remake. I dont even like reading subtitles.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:45 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
unfortunately the remake of the shining as a miniseries was crap. In my version of the exorcist the bit with the tapes is there, where they have to filter out the voices or something (or is it play it backwards?). Something like that :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:08 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
playing tape in the movie?
its been a few years since ive watched part 1, and i guess there's that 'new' versions, the one that i've never seen before.blah blah.
haha, your mother sucks cocks in hell, that used to be on my answering machine, but i think the book was more about just having silence recorded on tapes, wich then began to form words by replaying the same recorded silence over and over, ghosts could be heard or something along those lines.Again, i may be a bit fuzzy, as i read it in the late 80's.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:53 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
'Lord of Illusions' was simply awesome!!!

'The Black Cat' by Argento was also marvelous (although the story is also amazing)

And 'Blade Runner'? The book didn't make much sence to me, but then again, I'm not a sencible person...

'A Clockwork Orange' was about equal movie-book-wise, I thought.

Never did get ahold of 'Fallen Angel' which 'Angel Heart' is based upon. =(

Anyone ever read the story which 'Children of the corn' were based on? Or 'The Running Man'? worth to seek out?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:40 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
monkeysmasher wrote:
haha, your mother sucks cocks in hell, that used to be on my answering machine,

:lol:
Good one

Hm, I think I've read that 'Children of the corn' sometime. Can't be sure though. Probably did't like it, cause never even liked the movie and the sequels...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:55 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
err, i read 'the running man'. I liked the book more than the movie. The movie (to me) seems like someone made it just after listening to the premise of the book. The contestant doesnt fight in that arena against people, but has to make it thru normal society avoiding getting captured or killed by average joe citizen(who all get big $'s if they hurt,kill, or turn him in) while making a video of themselves and sending it in like each day. I read it many years ago, so again its hazy, but like most books turned movies, it has quite a bit more depth than a gameshow gladiator. Seemed to be more about poor folk, and what it takes for society to turn, almost as a whole, into quite rabid and happily viscious on anyone singled out.

is blade runner based on 'do androids dream of electric sheep?'. i think that was a short story i read, though i cant remember because it was in a book that had a lot of stories that became movies, 'we buy dreams, wholesale' or something like that.
i read that short story children of the corn was based on, cant really remember it, but i heard the short film 'disciples of the corn' was more like the book. i prefer all steven kings books to the movies, as almost every one kind of sucked ass. the only one that did well is the shining, and ive heard that king said that was his least favorite, or that it was his worst story.something. I wish they'd make a movie of 'the mist' or 'sand'. hell the gunslinger books are going to be movies, ive heard.
didnt read 'lord of illusion', but i did read the books of blood, the great and secret show, and the damnation game. I think damnation game is now a movie, and hear rumors that the great and secret show is too. haha, bow ties on weeners, and phantom limb handjobs.
i read the clockwork orange book. it was better than the movie, i guess. but like them all, a movie cant really give all the extra details/in depth information a book can.
still reading books blows. I prefer watching to reading, i dont even like reading subtitles, i make up my own dialogue. kind of like in reallife too i guess, when someone is talking to me. im not listening-im thinking about boobs. More than likely thier boobs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:14 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
yeah, blade runner was based on 'do androids....', but when I read it it was in a sepparate book. a short book, but still longer than a short story. 200 pages perhaps?

The running man sounds really cool. will hunt down that as well as the 'starship troopers' book. =)

Just bought SK's 'Nightmares & Dreamscapes'. I always prefered short stories to novels, cause I'm a real slow reader... His 'Different Seasons' (which spawned three movies: Apt Pupil, Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me, and now a fourth one) is amazing reading.

'Lord of Illusions' was based on the short story 'The Last Illusion' in the books of blood. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly the story was just about the fatal illusion of Swann and none of all the other stuff in the movie.
They could make so many more great movies out of The Books of Blood. My favorites were 'Dread', 'Down Satan' (how is it possible to tell such a grand epic tale in just 4 pages?!?!?) and the one about the voodoo curse that makes the skin supersensitive to even the dust particles in the air...

Damnation Game a movie?!?!?!!?!? That'll ROCK!!!
I'm still waiting for 'The Thief of Always' movie. that's one of my alltime favorite books. It would even be great in an animated flick. Maybe give it to Tim Burton and give it a 'Nightmare Before Christmas' feel?

The Great and Secret show was also great, but it's a massive story. the movie should be atleast 2:30 long or it'll seam to shallow. maybe make it into a miniseries like they did with King's 'The Stand'?
I always felt 'IT' was way to short too. that could've been a series with several seasons...

You should really check out 'Cabal' (which 'nightbreed' is based on) and 'The Hellbound Heart' (Hellraiser) too. Both by Barker.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:07 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Yeah, 'Cabal' rules! but the movie version 'Nightbreed'? Aaargh, what utter garbage... Shame, that was a good story for an movie. If they only had dared to make it more nastier and add more gore etc. and they cut way too much from the book. btw did Barker ever write sequel to 'Cabal'? It kinda ends in cliffhanger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:41 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
yeah, nightbreed- i think we were all a bit disipointed with that. were was the lesbian sex??

i find the link for 'damnation game'....

hellbound heart was ok, though the movies version of the cenobytes i like better.

im surprises 'the thief of always' hasnt been made into a movie. seemed to me to be less violent/ more family friendly/larger target audience books

'I thought it was obvious, you sillly girl.
I'm a monster. I do monstrous things.'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:02 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Actually I didn't think Nightbreed was that bad... loved to see Cronenberg act. he's my idol.

If I remember correctly in the book 'hellbound heart' some of the point was that when he opened the box it was to get unbelievable pleasure beyond infinity, but found that this actually was torture, since the most extreme pure essence of pleasure turned out to be painfull. Some of this was lost in the film IMO.. but then I could just be imaginating.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:14 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
oh, and 'Jaqulinn Ess - Her Will and Testimony' from Books of Blood. That'll make one hell of a film!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:24 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
yip
cronenberg pops up in odd places. may be like a ninja, i'll have to check up on that.

'I thought it was obvious, you sillly girl.
I'm a monster. I do monstrous things.'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:20 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Films that are better than the book? Sounds interesting, but what exactly is "a book"??? :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:24 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
wargand wrote:
Films that are better than the book? Sounds interesting, but what exactly is "a book"??? :shock:

Lots of subtitles on dead tree i think, I know some have pictures and one is apparantly "good" and tells you why your a sinner.