Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:09 am  Post subject: Must See asian horror

The Ancient One
If you're sick and tired of shitty movies that are so predictable, even the dialogue is cliche, try out some asian stuff.
- The ending is very rarely happy. makes everything much more suspencefull, since you're actually concerned what's going to happen.
- The violence and gore is usually much more explicit.
- The plot's are always very intricate and interesting. sometimes a little to complex actually. but hey, that's still better than removing all the suspence by always always ALWAYS having a happy ending.
- The acting will often apear surprisingly good. Not being able to understand the language or reqognizing the melody of it actually helps.
- Creativity is put ahead of big budgets and tedious remakes.

Rather than make a sepparate collection, I'd though it would suffice to just list these, as I've ranted about all of them in sepparate posts. If you still are too lazy to find them, just hop over to http://www.acfmovies.com/ (which is sadly down right now, but hopefully up again soon.)
Some might not be 'pure' horro films, but still quite horroresque.
----------------------------------------------

Battle Royale - The ultimate feel-good film. Seriously. It's like watching 'Turtles' when you're 10 years old. you wanna go rite out and be just like them.

Uzumaki - Wow. now this is one of the most inventive horror films I've seen. Ever.

Cure - Try not to get mezmerized. This is the ultimate in suspence. Ranks right up there with the spanish 'Tesis'. Might be a little tough for a novice in asian cinema though. a few rounds of warming up is adviced.

Cairo - Same director who made Cure. now being remade by wesley Craven. SHAME ON YOU WES!

Ringu - skip all the sequels and remakes, this is the original and best.

The Eye - Also very very densly packed with suspence. about halfway through, it kinda trails of, but that don't matter none. Tom Cruise is remaking this one. argh!!!!!

Dark Water - Actually I didn't think to much of this myself, but many others did. Same style as Ringu and The Eye, but inferior to those.

Ichi The Killer - Now if you're feeling especially bloodthirsty, look nowhere else. this is the only thing to fully satisfy. don't fear that it's a plotless goremess like the guinea pig films however. there's actually a very good story in there. Must admit I didn't understand anything of the ending at all. Read tons of different theories about it, but none that quite satisfy.

Audition - It will seam slow in the begining, but hold tight. BAM!

Bio Zombie - whoohoo! fun fun fun. This movie makes you live longer. If you like it, also check out 'Wild Zero'.

Story of Ricky - Even more fun.

Versus - The ultimate zombie experience. This movie's got everything (exept for nudity perhaps). It's one of those films you just sit around saying 'wow!' aloud about 10 times after you've seen it, before being able to do anything else.

If you just want to be able to brag and bloat about having seen the most gorefilled and disturbing films ever made (I did) you should check out the Guinea Pig films (most important the first 'Devil's Experiment' and 2nd 'Flower of Flesh and Blood') and also track down the two first 'Men Behind the Sun' films.

Then go on and see the non-asian films 'Salo: 120 days of soddom', some of 'Faces of Death', get all the 'banned from tv' films, and finally the 'Traces of Death' series. ok, now you're seriously fu$@ed in the head, and think 'Cannibal Holocaust' is a Disney flick.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:37 am  Post subject: Re: Must See asian horror

The Devil, Probably
John_Doe wrote:
- The ending is very rarely happy.

Who says that? On whose side you are on? :twisted: :twisted:

John_Doe wrote:
Ringu - skip all the sequels and remakes, this is the original and best.

No, no, no, J.-D. though we both like asian horror, we have still absolutely different taste. To all: Don't listen to him and don't skip neither the sequels nor the remakes, though the Hollywood Ring should not be watched as part of the Japanese ring saga. It fairly good, but not comparable to the originals. If you like ringu, don't forget watching 'Rasen - The spiral'. And watch them in the correct order: 1, 2, 0.

John_Doe wrote:
The Eye - Also very very densly packed with suspence. about halfway through, it kinda trails of, but that don't matter none. Tom Cruise is remaking this one. argh!!!!!

Again: disagree. No trailing of at the end. But this everybody has to decide for himself :-)
Tom Cruise? The name of this Scientology asshole is more horror I can stand. *shiver*

But may I add another one:

Stacy, Attack of the schoolgirl zombies.

Probably not J.-D.'s taste either, but _really_ bizarre. Has some good gory scenes and is dark comdey a bit like 'Braindead'. Or where would expect a group of teenie girls to commit crimes to save money to pay their favourite rock start to dismember them after death?

Onother one: Soul Guardians. Ok, no exceptional filme, but still nice. It is korean.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:10 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I can only judge by those I've seen, and by those I say it's actually more common for asian horror (atleast with the japanese) to have a dark, depressing ending, rather than a happy happy joy one. This is great, for as I said it makes you actually wonder what will happen. And it makes you really concerned when the good-guys are in trouble, because in contradiction to american ones, they don't always win.
And I don't mean like in the end of a 'Nightmare on elmstreet' flick, you'll get a little hint that Freddy ain't dead yet.. I mean the goodguys struggle, but fail. Evil wins the day. Hooray!

I thought that the first half of 'The Eye' was incredibly creepy and scary but then it suddendly turned into a superhigh-budget sci-fi flick of sorts. It kinda lost it's creepyness. Still an awesome film.

As for all the ringu sequels, they were just money makers IMO. Atleast you have to agree that the corean remake 'The Ring Virus' was incredibly shitty. Almost as bad as the american one.

Stacy was kinda entertaining (Blues Campbell's Second Hand 2 =). Had lots of great gore. The reason I didn't list it was that although it's a decent movie, it's not a TOTALLY AWESOME film you simply MUST see, like all the others.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:31 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
John_Doe wrote:
because in contradiction to american ones, they don't always win.

They don't win in americam movies either: Hellborn.
But agreed, a happy ending is much more common in western than in asian movies.
John_Doe wrote:

And I don't mean like in the end of a 'Nightmare on elmstreet' flick, you'll get a little hint that Freddy ain't dead yet.. I mean the goodguys struggle, but fail. Evil wins the day. Hooray!

Yes, and the star spangled banner waves in the wind. *YUCK*

John_Doe wrote:

I thought that the first half of 'The Eye' was incredibly creepy and scary but then it suddendly turned into a superhigh-budget sci-fi flick of sorts. It kinda lost it's creepyness. Still an awesome film.

Nevertheless, I think the end of the film was more or less logical. What part do you think was sci-fi? True, it was not that creepy at the end, the scene in the elevator was best, I think. But still there was no breach in the story line.

John_Doe wrote:

As for all the ringu sequels, they were just money makers IMO. Atleast you have to agree that the corean remake 'The Ring Virus' was incredibly shitty. Almost as bad as the american one.

Not seen the korean one, yet. Got so many warnings that it is bad, that I could not decide to see it. Too many other movies on my stack. And as I said, I don't think the american one is bad, it just should not be viewed as a 'Ringu' movie, but as decent, but not great horror of its own.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:18 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
In the tradition of having too much spare time, hurting small animals,
and in the spirit of launching my pets into space without a parachute or any hope of survival, i bring you this-

The prototype for my Catlauncher(and my many,many months of being on probation/community service)

Squirrellauncher-The_Catlauncher Prototype.mpeg

(And the salesman at Radio Shack called me Mad!!)

'I thought it was obvious, you sillly girl.
I'm a monster. I do monstrous things.'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:11 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
i didnt really do that to squirells.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:44 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
had me fooled.

Just watched another really nasty asian film. It's called 'Visitor Q' and it breaks just about every taboo know. Gotta have a messed up head in order to sit through this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:02 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
John_Doe wrote:
Just watched another really nasty asian film. It's called 'Visitor Q' and it breaks just about every taboo know.

Gotta love Takashi Miike. He put the most obscene violence in Ichi The Killer and everything left that is (even more) obscene into Bizita Q. They both make you very, very uncomfortable but when you start watching and manage to see the first 15 minutes (repeating to yourself: "hey, it's only a movie") you just have to sit through them. If not for other, then for the final chatarsis that would clean the things up. Which comes or maybe not... :twisted:

John_Doe wrote:
Gotta have a messed up head in order to sit through this.

So, did you? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:42 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
when I was 6 years old, all the kids were afraid of me, cause I allways ran around, trying to suck their blood... does that answer your question? =)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:53 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Yes. Only weaklings try. ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:42 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
yikes
am i the only one here who had a normal childhood??

Sure the ballet classes were odd, having to sleep in a kitty litter catbox, and all the times my parents made me wear a dress to school couldnt have helped my self esteem, but you are wierdos. biteing people, ick.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:19 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
/me slaps monkey

back to your kitty litter tray... don't make me break out the tazer!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:24 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
I fuckin' love Asian flicks...

a must see is TETSUO IRON MAN for sure. That is one of the best Japanese flicks I've ever seen.

Scars Wars was dull, funny entertaining movie. It's bad, but you'll never see THAT ending coming... I know I was in shock, I never did expect it. btw, Mutated Zombie Piton is simply amazing :wacky:

Art of the Devil is also must see

Azumi - almost flawless flick.

... there are more, but I'm too lazy to write them all down , right now...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:23 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Splatter: Naked Blood always did it for me. Totally fucked movie!

Since some others aren't listed in this old thread:

The Untold story - Gruesome film. Period.

Dr Lamb - Another gruesome film, yet somehow sillier than tUS.

Ebola Syndrome - not sure what to say but see this one.

Evil Dead Trap - An overlooked classic! A creepy slasher! the sequels suck IMO and have nothing to do with pt1, PT2 is OK I guess.

Organ - yeah just watch it! Weird and gross!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:19 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
1. BATTLE ROYALE
2. AUDITION
3. RING
4. RING 2
5. FREEZER
6. DEAD OR ALIVE
7. DEAD OR ALIVE 2
8. HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKOURIS
9. VISITOR Q
10. THRONE OF BLOOD
11. ZIPANG
12. KWAIDAN
13. SAMURAI REBELLION
14. BROTHER
15. GUTS OF A VIRGIN
16. GUTS OF A BEAUTY
17. EVIL DEAD TRAP
18. EVIL DEAD TRAP 2
19. CITY OF THE LOST SOULS
20. PRINCESS BLADE
1. Zu: Warriors of the magic mountain
2. Bride with white hair
3. A chinese ghost story
4. Mr. vampire
5. Close encounters of the spooky kind
6. The new dragon gate inn
7. Green snake
8. Legend of the liquid sword
9. Golden swallow
10. The dead and the deadly
11. Erotic ghost story II
12. Robotrix
13. The wicked city
14. Peacock king
15. The 7 brothers meet dracula
16. The untold story: Human meat roast pork buns
17. Storm riders
18. Butterfly murders
19. The Imp
20. Crouching tiger, hidden dragon

and many more
like koreans movies thai and so on

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:05 pm  Post subject: Re: Must See asian horror

Servant Of The Dead Donkey
John_Doe wrote:

Uzumaki - Wow. now this is one of the most inventive horror films I've seen. Ever.

I've been reading the Manga of this.. pretty awesome so I'll have to check out the movie. Junji Ito rules :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:24 pm  Post subject: Re: Must See asian horror

Dead But Dreaming
memoriesofnam wrote:
I've been reading the Manga of this.. pretty awesome so I'll have to check out the movie. Junji Ito rules :mrgreen:

Yep, the manga is one of the best horror comics ever.
The movie is a cheesy reinterpretation of the first chapters, far from the creepiness of the original Junji Ito work...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:40 pm  Post subject:

Servant Of The Dead Donkey
Ah ok, I'm still keen to check it out then :D. SPIRALS...EVERYWHERE!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 pm  Post subject:
Request Territory

Request Territory
Takashi Miike's episode for masters of horror called "imprint" is one of my favourite.
I recently also enjoyed watching "the host" (Gwoemul) and save the green planet.
Except from Ringu I'm getting a bit tired of asian greasy hair horror movies (the eye, the wig, a tale of two sisters bored me).

No one talked about animes but they are a great part of asian cinematography.
What about ninja scroll, Urotsukidoji, fist of the north star ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:09 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I agree some of the anime titles are way more overthetop than many popular films. Plus teh HAIR movies are lame now, unless you haven't seen that type before.

You can dig real deep into anime and find some really fucked uyp shit. I have not had a chance to really delve deep myself, but a few friends have really obscure and crazy animes. Far more than ninja scroll, akira, Urotsukidoji, La blue Girl, etc.

Basically gore and sex? count me in!!!! :beerchug: