Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:05 am  Post subject: most overrated movie

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
I think this should spark some anger , if its done right. I'm sure that many of my favorites are going to show up here. Anyway, the idea here is to post the movie, why you think its overrated and that's about it. It'll be easy for us to squabble back and forth, but I'd rather hear your own titles than your defense of another movie. No one will be convinced, so give it up.

Carrie. I think that this was highly overrated in the 80's. I saw it in the theatre and thought it was okay, but as time went on and Steven King movies became more and more abyssmal and his books became more and more popular people turned to this and The Shining (also overrated, but at least it had some moments) as examples of his good movies. So, in my opinion, a mediocre film that has been touted as something great.

Friday the 13th. Pretty much all of them. Looking back, they are so weak. No wonder all the oldtime horror fans shit on the 80s crop of horror. The first three were okay, but it still bothers me that many point ot this as the cause of the slasher boom in the 80s, completley ignoring the far superior Halloween which used the same tricks far more effectively, and was only missing the gore that became an easy substitute for quality later on (not that I don't like gore, it can make a bad movie watchable)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:12 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
Blair Witch Project
It was raved about, it was made out to be good, and not just good a revolution.... "the best horror movie in years". And it wasn't! Not by a looooooooooooooong way. It was really, really, really, boring, really, really, really shit and just plain crappy. It wasn't new, it wasn't particularly original, it wasn't well scripted (well at all), it was terribly acted, and was just well... shit.

Every Wes Craven Movie
That's right, everyone of them bar freaks of nature (People under the stairs was okay, but no one even mentions that). Okay, so some of them are okay... er okay two or three of them. The original nightmare is way over rated but I thought it was a good movie none the less. It was made out to be the definitive in 80s horror when in reality, it wasn't even close, Hellraise, et. al. owned its sorry ass. It was a good idea, and it was well made, but it wasn't that good people. His movies aren't particularly clever, or interesting. He makes out as though he's some super writer or something but I have yet to see a movie that justifies this. His directing is nice, but he's just like a broken version of Carpenter in my opinion.
>>>Scream
>> I think I've covered that I think this is totally overrated in enough threads, but its just a subset of the above.

John Carpenter's Vampires
Okay, this isn't a overwhelming thing, but so many people seem to list it as a favourite. "oh its a new kind of vampire movie... yadda... yadda", then when you tell correct them, the answer is normally "Near where?". Was okay, but nothing more. A failed attempt of ripping off Near Dark imo

The Shining isn't overrated in my opinion, not in the slighetest. Carrie is excellent, its a good King movie, and it contributed a hell of a lot in terms of 'scares'. I think it was a really good movie. Friday the 13th being overrated goes without saying.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:26 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Blair Witch Project No Doubt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:43 am  Post subject:
a member of the recently deceased

Location: Hell ___________________________ ------ Horror Dealer ------
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Blair Witch Project
It was raved about, it was made out to be good, and not just good a revolution.... "the best horror movie in years". And it wasn't! Not by a looooooooooooooong way. It was really, really, really, boring, really, really, really shit and just plain crappy. It wasn't new, it wasn't particularly original, it wasn't well scripted (well at all), it was terribly acted, and was just well... shit.

Ummm, it was supposed to be that way.

For the unrehearsed feeling, so people would think it was real footage.
That was what the movie was about.

But of course looking back at it, it does suck royaly....

We were supposed to see it with the mind set that it was true, and that aspect worked at the theaters if you didn't know what was up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:42 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
it was supposed to be, "really, really, really, boring, really, really, really shit and just plain crappy"

What I said in that post is a) it wasn't original b) it wasn't well devised as in nothing happened, there was no plot/story to it [no story or basic plot, improv or not = no movie] c) acting sucked d) it was shit.

I know what they claim to have attempted, but it was utter, utter bullshit. Only idiots would believe them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:30 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
Its weird. I know that threads never go the way that they are supposed to, but I would think the painfully obvious fact that no one will change anyone's opinion would stop this from being a discussion thread, even if my original post didn't.
Maybe I'm wrong, though. Spud your opinion of BW changed? satan? I'm guessing the answer is "no". I can say that my opinions of Carrie and The Shining haven't changed. Oh well.

Anyway, to relieve the tedium, I'll say Hammer films in general. I've only got into them recently and by and large, they have been disappointments. The ones I have high regard for, I saw years ago and I'm afraid to watch them again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:46 am  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
The Howling. I tried watching it twice, couldn't get into it either time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:47 am  Post subject:

fierysky wrote:
The Howling. I tried watching it twice, couldn't get into it either time.

great, I need to watch 2-5 now.....=)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:58 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Halloween. Sometimes you don't like a movie, but can see why others might like it, but this is just soo crappy and booooring. Not one good thing about it. bah.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:37 am  Post subject:

John_Doe wrote:
Halloween. Sometimes you don't like a movie, but can see why others might like it, but this is just soo crappy and booooring. Not one good thing about it. bah.

2 words.

FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:51 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
The Silence of the Lambs
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102926
top 250: #28 :?

-only after watching this movie recently did I develop distaste for it
-unfortunately seems like it is going to be a few years before it will be possible to adequately make fun of it
-wonders how it won an Oscar
-the acting seems forced, the mood is lost over and over again, the accent is ridiculous, the thrill is nonexistent
-possibly more of a thriller or crime drama than horror, but this one really stands out for me

ah, with that said, there are some good things about this movie, and I don't think there is any question that it is a good one.... just not "that" good

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:02 am  Post subject:

I do love this thread, thanks Chad for stating this.=)

I don't mean any harm with my text to anyone, so if I tell you to fuck your mom with a drill, don't take me wrong.=)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:05 am  Post subject:

The Practice Girl
Location: Back in the glistening folds of Barbara Bush's Twat
Think I will keep mine to myself...no point in creating havok in the forum...remember, opinions are like assholes...everyone tries to scratch and pick at them :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:10 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
aka. DXA likes some crappy films and is lashing out at the people who picked on him in the playground who had taste by hating ace movies... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:34 am  Post subject:

The Practice Girl
No I just don't wanna get sent to the old whippng post again like last time I did this sort of thing.As for the playground thing....actually I was to busy gettign into trouble myslef to get picked on..I was never really picked upon as a child.I would just take out my penis and that would scare most of the kids away. :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:00 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Sure you weren't bad taste. Hey bad taste, you'll have to return those bad movies, bad taste. Hey... these these aren't that bad... you just have bad taste, Hey, he's just got bad taste... ain't that right bad taste... here, have the BWP bad taste.
:)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:21 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Star Wars (all of them) :twisted:
Blair Witch Project if the choice is limited to horror genre.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:27 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Blair Witch Project, for all the reasons Spud mentions.

To be honest, I can understand and accept anyone's point of view about any other movie but I just cannot fathom how anyone could find BWP in the slightest bit entertaining.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:34 pm  Post subject:

The Practice Girl
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Sure you weren't bad taste. Hey bad taste, you'll have to return those bad movies, bad taste. Hey... these these aren't that bad... you just have bad taste, Hey, he's just got bad taste... ain't that right bad taste... here, have the BWP bad taste.
:)

I think I'll pass on that taste Spud..tastes like old sweatsocks that have been out in the rain to long :P
You're just a brutal bastard with that whip is all..you think Christ had it bad in the passion...that was fun and games compared to what you dish out :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:52 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
I totally agree about Silence of the Lambs. I loved the book and hated the movie. Too many damn close-ups of Anthony Hopkins eyes for my taste. Plus, I can't understand why people would find it scary (same with Se7en). There is no sense of anyone ever being in any real danger until the very end.

A ;ot of BWP bashing going on in this thread. I wish that some of you had seen it before the hype machine got a hold of it. It was a truly scary experience to see so much real fear on the big screen.