Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:06 pm  Post subject: eXistenZ (1999) (Thriller/Sci-Fi) (DVDrip) *3 commentaries*

Mod of the Living Dead
As there already are a few very good rips of this amazing movie, I decided to go for something new and release a triple-commentary version. All 4 audio tracks are muxed within the avi's. I know this is not a typical thing to do, but I really hate ogg and I didn't want to release the additional tracks as separate mp3's, because they always dry up pretty fast. If you don't like the idea, simply don't download the files. The release has been tested under BSPlayer and all tracks play fine.

You will probably notice tracks 3 and 4 are lower quality than track 2 (Cronenberg's comment). That's because I didn't want to go below certain video bitrate, but on the other hand I believe Cronenberg's comment is the most important of the additional tracks, so I didn't want his track to be that lq. TBH, tracks 3 and 4 sound quite shitty, because I didn't notice I didn't check "mono" and only realized it later, when everything was muxed and split into 2 avi's. Still, I decided to release it as it is, because it's not about the quality of the commentary but rather about its content.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120907/

eD2k links:
eXistenZ.1999.DVDrip.xvid.ac3.triple.commentary.cd1.Polityk.avi
eXistenZ.1999.DVDrip.xvid.ac3.triple.commentary.cd2.Polityk.avi
eXistenZ.1999.DVDrip.xvid.ac3.triple.commentary.Polityk.-.English.subs.zip

Specs (taken before the split) and info on audio tracks:
Code:
AVI File Details
========================================
Name.........: eXistenZ.1999.DVDrip.xvid.ac3.triple.commentary.Polityk.avi
Filesize.....: 1,397 MB (or 1,430,908 KB or 1,465,249,792 bytes)
Runtime......: 01:33:04 (139,588 fr)
Video Codec..: XviD
Video Bitrate: 1432 kb/s
Frame Size...: 704x400 (1.76:1) [=44:25]

Audio Stream 1
Audio Codec..: ac3 (0x2000) Dolby Laboratories, Inc
Audio Bitrate: 448 kb/s (6 ch) CBR

Audio Stream 2:  Director's Commentary
Audio Codec..: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
Audio Bitrate: 133 kb/s (66/ch, stereo) VBR

Audio Stream 3 and 4: Director of Photography's Commentary and Visual and Special Effects Supervisor's Commentary
Audio Codec..: mpeglayer3 (mp3) (0x0055) ISO/MPEG
Audio Bitrate: 64 kb/s (32/ch, stereo) VBR

sCreenshotZ:

CD1:

CD2:

eXtraZ:

eXistenZ.-.Frame.by.Frame.-.The.Invisible.Art.of.Production.Designer.Carol.Spier.ripped.by.Polityk.avi

It's a very interesting documentary on the making of eXistenZ, concentrating on the work of Cronenberg's production designer. Ripped from the original eXistenZ DVD.

Quote:
AVI File Details
========================================
Name.........: eXistenZ.-.Frame.by.Frame.-.The.Invisible.Art.of.Production.Designer.Carol.Spier.ripped.by.Polityk.avi
Filesize.....: 349 MB (or 358,138 KB or 366,733,312 bytes)
Runtime......: 00:53:48 (80,700 fr)
Video Codec..: XviD
Video Bitrate: 769 kb/s
Audio Codec..: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
Audio Bitrate: 131 kb/s (65/ch, stereo) VBR LAME3.90.?
Frame Size...: 640x480 (1.33:1) [=4:3]

...and 2 screens for you to know what to expect. The cropping is not perfect, I didn't notice the vertical edges of the picture were a bit blurred and this is how it came out in auto-cropping (I hope this does not impair your viewing experience :), I am to lazy to encode it once again just because of this small detail, it's just a few pixels anyway):

Enjoy! :D

[ Add all 4 links to your ed2k client ]

Last edited by Polityk on Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:41 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:26 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
cool. I allready had one commentary, but would much rather get this one, it being spliced and 2cd. =)
This film is just too cool. Especially if you're stoned out of your mind the first time you see it...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:19 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
amazing!!!! :beerchug: :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:07 pm  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
Location: In the basement of an old 42st Grindhouse movie theater.
I loved this extreamly under-apreciated film!
100% better than the commerialized Matrix (don't put my arse on fire for that, please :mrgreen:) or or %92 better he he

Thank you oooooh so much mr. Polityk! will be snaching very soon :beerchug:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:44 pm  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
Can't say I agree at all with your view - I thought the film was a load of old toss personally. I actually bought it on DVD when I lived in Hong Kong.

I'd recommend the 13th Floor as a Matrix type contender though :beerchug:

Grindhouse wrote:
I loved this extreamly under-apreciated film!
100% better than the commerialized Matrix (don't put my arse on fire for that, please :mrgreen:) or or %92 better he he

Thank you oooooh so much mr. Polityk! will be snaching very soon :beerchug:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:51 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin

Silly man... that's not how you eat jam tarts! :lol:

gtd2000, Dark City hasn't the direct computer link, but is the same content as 13floor and matrix, and both of their's superior by far!
http://scifi.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=163

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:11 pm  Post subject:

The Practice Girl
Location: Back in the glistening folds of Barbara Bush's Twat
Great release man...This movie is a trip and a half..glad you did a good rip of it from the screens that I see.By the way....RESHARE RABID!!!! :P :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:50 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
WFT? Dark City & 13th Floor are 'just another thriller', with a twist.
Matrix is cgi playtime.
All the above go under the category 'light entertainment' eyecandy. Neither demanding, nor haunting, just something to please the mainstream doofs, who also thought Independence Day was pretty darn good.

eXistenZ is a deep, thoughtprovoking film, with so many ingenious new ideas you can see it many many times, and still be amazed by yet another revelation. Watching the extras is even more rewarding, cause it'll let you in on even more metaphores and hidden agenda that you might have missed, as oposed to the normal 'in this shot we used this effect, and it looked cool' kind of 'making-of'.

So much of eXistenZ could be the grounds for countless serious philosophical debates, as oposed to 'Damn Keanu looked cool when he dodged those bullets!'... It's strongest instrument is (as always) that it doesn't give all the answers. You actually have to think a little for yourself! (oh, the horror). This is of course also the main reason why it wasn't a smash hit, as most people seem content to be sheep and follow whatever whim the 'trendsetters' decide will be 'cool' for the time being. Daring to go your own way is both longed for and unnessessarily feared, thus always respected. Sometimes even to stupendous levels.

After all; eXistenZ is Cronenberg!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:01 am  Post subject:

The Practice Girl
John_Doe wrote:

Exactly why it's so good :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:08 am  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
John_Doe wrote:
eXistenZ is a deep, thoughtprovoking film, with so many ingenious new ideas you can see it many many times, and still be amazed by yet another revelation. Watching the extras is even more rewarding, cause it'll let you in on even more metaphores and hidden agenda that you might have missed, as oposed to the normal 'in this shot we used this effect, and it looked cool' kind of 'making-of'.

...After all; eXistenZ is Cronenberg!!!

The one thing that seems to crop up in Cronenburg movies is his aparrent (to me anyway..?) fixation with ar$eholes :roll:

I just found the whole experience cheap and cheesy - I'll watch again to see if it musters up any of the feelings that you suggest but I know I was not impressed with it at the time. I only know of one person that actually "enjoyed" it.

The Matrix was a cool movie in terms of the effects and that it pushed the limits of CGI at the time. The sequels to the orginal are a waste of time and verging on a waste of film IMHO 8)

I'm one of the crowd that also thinks Reservoir Dogs was a load of old toss too. A bunch of nitwits playing at/pretending to be hard men.... :matrix:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:22 pm  Post subject:

The Practice Girl
Which Cronenburg movie is obssessed with assholes again?I missed that movie somewhere.....an anal Cronenburg fest would be just what the Doctor ordered....or at least want to watch :P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:55 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Sounds like naked lunch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:06 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
John_Doe wrote:

And that's the best recommendation for this movie. There's not a single second of this movie that would be dissapointing. If you're trying to compare it to Matrix or other cheesy SF movies, it just means you don't get it. It's not a movie about VR. It's about obsession with flesh, decay and loss of personality. I recommend Marhall McLuhan's media theoriy and Cronenberg's Videodrome if you still don't get it.

gtd2000 wrote:
The one thing that seems to crop up in Cronenburg movies is his aparrent (to me anyway..?) fixation with ar$eholes :roll:

ROTFL! OMG, I think i"ve shit my pants! :lol:
You must have read lots of Barbara Creed's criticism... Anyway, this approach is totally useless in case of Cronenberg... BTW, where are those anal references in eXistenZ?

gtd2000 wrote:
The Matrix was a cool movie in terms of the effects and that it pushed the limits of CGI at the time. The sequels to the orginal are a waste of time and verging on a waste of film IMHO 8)

This is where we agree, the sequels were a waste of film. But then again, if your approach is to compare Matrix with eXistenZ, no wonder you're not satisfied. BTW, this movie had a lot of special effects in its first versions, which were then cut out because they were cheesy and cheap - just like Matrix. And the emphasis was not supposed to be on SFX. So they decided to limit them to the minimum and even cut out everything that could have any connotations with electronics whatsoever, replacing it with biological elements instead.

As far as I'm concerned, this movie is Cronenberg incarnated. It has all the themes he's so obsessed about, all those thing that make him a great subject for scholarly discussion. I assure you, tomes have been writen on Cronenberg's movies, and tomes are still to be written - and Matrix is just another SF movie, with better CGI, that's it.

PC_Arcade wrote:
Sounds like naked lunch

Naked Lunch... Have you read Burroughs' novel? Actually, Cronenberg evades all homosexual elements present in the novel, leaving only a few of them... But mind you, it's an adaptation of this great novel, which is mainly concerned with drug addiction and homosexual motifs. And it's not because of thise mitifs it has beeen tranferred onto the screen, but because of Cronenberg's fascination with Burroughs' work. Naked Lunch is a masterpiece of both modern and postmodern cinema, with both Burroughs' and Cronenberg's authorial contribution.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:48 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Polityk wrote:
Naked Lunch... Have you read Burroughs' novel?

I have, but I found it REALLY hard going and it's on my list of books to re-read as I'm not sure I appreciated it when I first read it (about 10 years ago)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:20 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
PC_Arcade wrote:
Polityk wrote:
Naked Lunch... Have you read Burroughs' novel?

I have, but I found it REALLY hard going and it's on my list of books to re-read as I'm not sure I appreciated it when I first read it (about 10 years ago)

Hmm, it *is* a piece of hard reading. Anyway, the homosexual motives are much more explicit there than in Cronenberg's adaptation, which is not a straightforward adaptation by the way, rather a merge of some Burroughsian ideas with Cronenberg's own imagery and biographical motives of W. B. (not present in the novel).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:12 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
hehe, I also tried reading Naked Lunch. After 100 pages of not understanding anything, I finally gave up.