Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:59 am  Post subject: Debt (1999) (Drama/Thriller) (DVD-rip)

Mod of the Living Dead

IMDB: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0225535/

eD2k link: dlug.1999.pl.dvdrip.xvid-a4o.avi
Subs: The.Debt.Eng.rar

This movie is by no means a horror, but the atmosphere it creates is very dense and unsettling. The techniques used to create suspense and tension can only be compared to those used in Das Experiment. For me this movie is a masterpiece for various reasons, most of which are covered in this comment on IMDB:

Quote:
Based on true events, the movie shows the dilemma faced by law-abiding people confronted by ruthless, petty criminals. The Police is simply not interested - there is not enough evidence to get a conviction, so why bother. In the meantime, the victims and their families are being gradually destroyed as the criminals are trying to force them to re-pay an imaginary debt. This movie will make you think - how would you react - what would you do differently to avoid the final tragedy. Excellent acting, strong plot, high quality DVD with excellent English subtitles - well worth watching.

From citypages.com:
Quote:
This coolly efficient slice of film noir by Polish director Krzysztof Krauze begins with police fishing gruesomely disfigured corpses out of the lead-gray Vistula River. And the outward similarities to The Usual Suspects don't end there: Krauze also employs a tricky flashback structure, a labyrinthine con worthy of David Mamet, and a character who fakes a limp to allay suspicions. Whereas Suspects took masochistic glee in its bait-and-switch con of the audience, though, The Debt strikes a decidedly sourer note: The story, a cat-and-mouse game involving small-time Polish hoods and a vicious Russian mobster, becomes like a noose tightening around our necks. Krauze builds an atmosphere of pervasive dread with nervous, darting camera movements and an almost Dogme-like austerity (i.e., no music or car chases to leaven the mood). The v?rit? approach is justified, certainly, since the story is based in fact. But Krauze is aiming for something more than just a stylish true-crime thriller: He turns The Debt into a dark parable about the price of ambition (...) (Peter Ritter)

Last but not least, the specs:
Quote:
AVI File Details
========================================
Name.........: dlug.1999.pl.dvdrip.xvid-a4o.avi
Filesize.....: 697 MB (or 714,380 KB or 731,525,120 bytes)
Runtime......: 01:37:52 (146,797 fr)
Video Codec..: XviD
Video Bitrate: 831 kb/s
Audio Codec..: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
Audio Bitrate: 158 kb/s (79/ch, stereo) VBR LAME3.92
Frame Size...: 640x384 (1.67:1) [=5:3]

[ Add all 2 links to your ed2k client ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:06 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
just completed it. tnx. Couldn't get the subs though, but I found them here:
http://www.subtitles.cz/en/download.asp?id=2183

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:32 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Great, let me know what you think.

The subs must have dried up, as it often happens. :( Good they're available elsewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:19 am  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Finally got around to watching it! =)

At the very begining it was a little non-eventful and difficult to stay focussed, as their petty dayly doodlings are so similar to our own, you care nothing for the characters. But as soon as things start to happen, the snowball starts rolling and you get dragged in and stay glued to the screen for the rest of the film. First then you realize that only out of tragedy will true empathy grow.
Beautifully filmed in a bleak white-ish filter, ironically gives it an ever darker feel. Some scenes, like one where we see a girl cringing in pain on one side of a wall, while her boyfriend blabbers meaningless on the other, is ingeniously well set up and shows great cinematic knowledge.
Overall good acting preformances, especially from the enigmatic Gerard.

It's claustrophobic feeling will choke you. The bright darkness engulf you. A true masterpiece indeed. Highly recomended!

Thank you very much for this recomendation Polityk! =)

Even more interesting is the fact that something rather similar happened 100 meters from where I live, but with somewhat different outcome.

You shoudl check out 'PUSHER' if you haven't allready, though. It's somewhat similar, has the same desparate feeling, and even has the always BRILLIANT Kim Bodina.

I found two versions:
ed2k: Pusher.(1996).XVID.AC3.shock.cd1.avi  [698.90 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Pusher.(1996).XVID.AC3.shock.cd2.avi  [697.90 Mb] [Stats]

and just in case there are no subs availible:
ed2k: Pusher.DVDivX.SBC-ART.-.Danish.dansk.avi  [673.93 Mb] [Stats] which I suspect is hardsubbed in english.

[ Add all 3 links to your ed2k client ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:33 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Glad you liked it. Thanks for your recommendation, I will watch Pusher ASAP.