Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:23 am  Post subject: Dawn of the Dead - Argento Edit (1978)

Dead But Dreaming
Dawn of the Dead [Argento Edit] AFR:

Dawn.of.the.Dead-[Dario.Argento.Edit]-1978.DVDRip.AC3.XviD.ODiN

This is the Argento edit of DotD and it is different from Romero's version in a number of noticeable ways.
===============================

Hordes of zombies are walking the earth searching for fresh flesh to satisfy their eternal hunger. Society is in a total
panic and chaos is all that remains as wave after wave of the undead march forward oblivious to all but their instinct to
kill and eat live humans. Amidst this scenario of damnation and doom, four survivors, Peter (Ken Foree), Roger (Scott Reiniger),
Stephen (David Emgee), and Fran (Gaylen Ross) are determined to escape and survive the rise of the dead.

Goblin's soundtrack is incredibly good too.

1/3 DVD AFR.

Enjoy. :beerchug:

Movie Size: 1492.61 MB or 1,528,435 kB
Movie Length: 119 mins, 7 secs.
Video Codec FourCC: xvid
Video Codec: XviD MPEG-4
Video Width x Height: 704 x 384
Video FPS/Bitrate: 23.976 / 1298 kbit/s
Qf: 0.200 bits/pixel
A/R: Widescreen
Audio Codec: AC3-Digital Filter
Audio Bitrate: 438 Kbit/s
Audio Channels: 6
Audio Samples: 48,000 Hz
Language: English

-=TORRENT=-

"if someone who registered for 8 days have idea to make the site better.the man who registered for many years should have thoughts to make it best,except he was cut off head like as many man or weman in the site movies."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:59 am  Post subject:

Master Of The Dead Donkey
Linkage?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:01 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Avanze wrote:
Linkage?

ODiN wrote:

Thanks ODiN, looks much better than the DutchFilmworks version, which is only 4:3 IIRC. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:44 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
ViSCeRaL wrote:
Avanze wrote:
Linkage?

ODiN wrote:

Thanks ODiN, looks much better than the DutchFilmworks version, which is only 4:3 IIRC. :beerchug:

Yup, and non-remastered whatsoever.
Lovely looking rip 8)

BTW, I'm still looking for a dvd release of this certain cut with more gore that my local video rental used to have...
The one that actually showed WHY the swat guy blew out his brains in the beginning of the movie for instance.

Anyone know if the ultimate edition or that old german REd label release has this?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:27 pm  Post subject:

Movie Mod
Great looking rip as always, Odin. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:16 pm  Post subject:

Master Of The Dead Donkey
Awesome, got it started now. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:40 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I've never seen this version, now is the time! :D

Last Release: The Food of the Gods (1976)
NZB: download/file.php?id=436

Coming Soon: Cat's Eye, The Uncanny, Food of the Gods 2, The Devil's Men, Studio 666.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:11 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
MCMLXXXVIII wrote:
I've never seen this version, now is the time! :D

don't get your hopes up, its the worst version :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:15 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Quote:
don't get your hopes up, its the worst version

Had to go and open a can of worms didnt ya? ;) I wont debate Dawn but I'm kinda split on which version is better. I like Argento's because it plays quick whereas at times I find Romero's drags a bit. There's more gore in Romero's I think but also more yapping (er.. 'character development' scenes :roll:). Having not watched any version of Dawn in awhile and then watching this the other night was exhilirating when the SWAT team at the beginning sieges the slum and Goblin blared the Zombi theme song - my adrenaline shot up like mad. The soundtrack is so good for this flick. Cheers to Goblin! :beerchug:

"if someone who registered for 8 days have idea to make the site better.the man who registered for many years should have thoughts to make it best,except he was cut off head like as many man or weman in the site movies."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:27 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Its something that's unavoidable when this version is posted. Romero handles social commentary and humour with far more grace, here its removed all of the subtext that makes this movie one of the best horror films ever made. Whilst Romero might not be putting out movies like he used to, here he was at the top of his game. Argento just didn't do the job as well, i think as an action movie it doesn't really have the effect it should.

Argento failed to grasp what made the movie so good when he made some of the cuts imo, and it suffers from all the cuts he made. Sure its faster, but its less moving and thoughtful. Good if your wanting more of an action film, and your not in the mood for the extra runtime and thoughfulness. I just think it suffers greatly from the cuts, it isn't improved by the modifications.

Whilst its difficult to see what's best, to see which is worst was pretty clear to me (sorry, its this one... you might have guessed). I don't actually bother watching this version anymore, the other two i do though. The canne's edit is less streamlined but with the extra scenes sometimes its a good watch. Of course there's alternative scenes in this one and all, but here, less really is less.

My two cents on it anyway, just for people that are wanting to watch Dawn, just getting this one is a travesty, you need all three, or at least just the Theatrical version.

ps. Recommended dvd is the Anchor Bay set with the three main cuts. Still not seen the German cut yet anywhere

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:14 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
I love each cut of this film in its own right. The worst cut of this is better than most horror films.

Excellent rip ODiN! :beerchug: Thanks!

Last edited by GrindCallus on Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:34 am  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
spudthedestroyer wrote:
ps. Recommended dvd is the Anchor Bay set with the three main cuts. Still not seen the German cut yet anywhere

Yes that's the best bang for the buck. What's in the German version that would make it run so long?

GrindCallus wrote:
The worst cut of this is better than most horror films.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:36 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
What's in the German version that would make it run so long?

All of the canne's/director's edit, all of the alternative scenes from the theatrical version (there's the same scenes at different angles iirc correctly between these two versions, it seems to choose one or the other), and all the added extra scenes that were in this version. It doesn't loose any footage from censorship afaik as is the case with most german films, tv and games (for a bitterly anti-facist government, they seem to act like one a lot of the time :? ), and it retains all of the humour and horror cuts that argento made.

I think there's a couple of shots that aren't in any other version too. Unfortunately, its dubbed in German, but it shouldn't be that hard to restore the original audio... its just never been done :evil:

Quote:
An 'ultimate final cut' has been released in Germany. It features all known scenes from the director's cut and the cuts of Romero and Argento. It runs 156 minutes.

One thing is odd about Romero's films, he doesn't really seem to stop people going in and chopping his movies up. All three of the dead films (originals) seem to have several radically different cuts.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077402/alternateversions

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:36 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Quote:
What's in the German version that would make it run so long?

All of the canne's/director's edit, all of the alternative scenes from the theatrical version (there's the same scenes at different angles iirc correctly between these two versions, it seems to choose one or the other), and all the added extra scenes that were in this version. It doesn't loose any footage from censorship afaik as is the case with most german films, tv and games (for a bitterly anti-facist government, they seem to act like one a lot of the time :? ), and it retains all of the humour and horror cuts that argento made.

I think there's a couple of shots that aren't in any other version too. Unfortunately, its dubbed in German, but it shouldn't be that hard to restore the original audio... its just never been done :evil:

Quote:
An 'ultimate final cut' has been released in Germany. It features all known scenes from the director's cut and the cuts of Romero and Argento. It runs 156 minutes.

One thing is odd about Romero's films, he doesn't really seem to stop people going in and chopping his movies up. All three of the dead films (originals) seem to have several radically different cuts.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077402/alternateversions

It gets thicker :wink:

That ultimate Red edition is missing several well known scenes too ! :lol:

Quote:
Fehlende Szenen:
An der Stelle als die Vier von dem jungen Polizisten gefragt werden ob sie Zigaretten haben, verneinen sie und der Hubi hebt ab.
Nun ist im englischen 4 Front Tape zu sehen wie Fran sich eine Zigarette ansteckt und Peter sie fragt: "Zigaretts?" und sie sagt : "Anytime!"
Diese Stelle fehlt Ultimate Final Cut.
Im Argento Cut ist die Szene drin, in welcher ein Rocker wild um sich schießt während Tom Savini gerade von Ken Foree von einer Balustrade geballert wird. Im UFC ist die kurze Szene mit dem Rocker nicht enthalten! Es fällt der Schuß auf Savini, er kippt nach hinten über die Balustrade. Dann müsste die fehlende Szene genau bei 140:55 einsetzen, ist aber nicht so. Man sieht Savini sofort bei 140:55 ins Erdgeschoss hinunterstürzen und hört dabei sogar noch das MG des um sich schießenden Rockers, den man eigentlich vor dem Sturz kurz ballern sehen müsste. Von einer geschnittenen Version kann man zwar eigentlich nicht reden, da der UFC mehr Szenen enthält als jede andere, deutsche VÖ und die Szene aus dem 4 Front Video nicht mal in Romero's Director's Cut drin ist. Allerdings hält der UFC sein Versprechen nicht, alle Szenen zu beinhalten die es von Zombie gibt. Außerdem fehlt immerhin mindestens eine Szene aus dem schon lange in Deutschland veröffentlichten Argento Cut.

Oh, sorry forgot ! you don't speak a damm word germa do you :P ?

Well I'm too lazy to translate it all but basically some scenes that ARE in the Argento cut aren't in that red edition one :roll:

Some scenes of these 16 mm were edited into some illegal greman VHS release, from which material was used to complite this red edition.

Better split this topic BTW :wacky:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:54 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
I didn't think the blood/red edition was the "ultimate edition" though, since the "ultimate edition" has only ever been released on VHS and contains all of the scenes from the mentioned cuts.

That red edition is also censored isn't it? Definitely not the one i mentioned above ;) Sounds, from your concluding sentances your thinking the red one is the "ultimate" one, whereas the vhs you mention sounds more like it ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:11 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
spudthedestroyer wrote:
I didn't think the blood/red edition was the "ultimate edition" though, since the "ultimate edition" has only ever been released on VHS and contains all of the scenes from the mentioned cuts.

That red edition is also censored isn't it? Definitely not the one i mentioned above ;) Sounds, from your concluding sentances your thinking the red one is the "ultimate" one, whereas the vhs you mention sounds more like it ;)

Barely legible from the pic I posted, but below is says "Die weltweit langste fassung" , or translated " world's longest (running) version "
...and sure enough it states 150+ mins on pic of the back side cover.... uhm :oops: ...to which I have lost the link ..
I owe you that one :wacky:

EDit:
imdb wrote:

Can only be that one.
But the disc is allegedly a terrible mess, clashing music scores and thus atmospheres for one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:56 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
i guess that's why anchor bay didn't put it in the set. They should have put a disc with all the extra scenes as out takes, etc. though i think.

hey... maybe someone should remake this movie, and make a definitive dawn of the dead? That would be so cool! :wacky:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:06 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
It was a ludicrous proposition for Argento to cut a Romero movie. They are at completely opposite ends of the directing spectrum. Romero is all character and subtext and no flash. Argento is shallow character and sumptuous visuals. So, I agree that this is the worst cut of the movie. My fave is the Cannes cut. The extra bits only help, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:10 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
imdb wrote:
pic I posted, but below is says "Die weltweit langste fassung" , or translated " world's longest (running) version "
...and sure enough it states 150+ mins on pic of the back side cover.... uhm :oops: ...to which I have lost the link ..
I owe you that one :wacky:

EDit:
imdb wrote:

I have that one on tape somewhere. Watched it once, I prefer the Romero version although it was interesting to see.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:55 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Longer doesn't mean better (tell her that for a laugh).

I think Chadman hit it right, Argento is a very different director adn had no reason to edit it, though I prefer the Goblin soundtrack and the lack of a bit of humor. The AB Ult Ed Extended Cut is the best one IMO, as it is long but cohesive and retains the humor but still gives the action and atmoshpere, and maybe more effectively gives it a drawn out desolate feeling.

I have showed to to 2 friends and thought that Argento was 'best', they arent aficianados however, so I guess it based on watchability.

Also Argento's seem the sloppiest with cuts/etc

Anyway, its the one of the BEST BEST BEST horror flicks ever.
:jesus: