Why not register?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:25 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
*coughs out drink of fluid just taken in*

http://gear.ign.com/articles/700/700258p1.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:54 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
:o oh my and then another :o

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:28 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
exactly what i've been expecting, sony are the masters of lies, but when they say "its going to be expensive" that's not the kind of thing you expect them to lie about.

If its true about it being desperately underpowered (ie. not much better than the xbox2), its completely worthless.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:01 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
PS3 Possibly for USD 399
http://www.megagames.com/news/html/cons ... d399.shtml
Quote:
PSM claims the final PS3 price will be USD 399 and that will include a 60 GB hard drive while the magazine also suggests the console will launch in the first half of November 2006.

Sony has kept its pricing plans for PS3 secret although a recent statement by Sony Europe President George Fornay had suggested that a Euro 499 price (about USD 630) was likely. Sony had reacted, following Mr. Fornay's comments, suggesting that his comments were meant to indicate the possible price of a Blu-Ray playback device and not the PS3.

The independent Playstation magazine now claims that a reliable source has indicated that the Playstation 3 will cost USD 399 and will include a 60 GB hard drive while in Europe the same rig will set you back Euros 322. If the price mentioned by PSM is confirmed it will mark a significant advantage for Sony over Microsoft's XBox 360.

It is anticipated that Microsoft will lower the price of its XBox 360 console this coming fall in order to prevent a sales drop due to the release of the rival console. Even following an X360 price cut however, a USD 399 PS3 will be an extremely enticing proposition for consumers as it will bring them a Blu-Ray playback device and a video game console in one economic package.

Microsoft's XBox 360 core package (without a hard drive and wired controller) currently costs USD 399 while it was recently reported that Microsoft plans to reduce the price to USD 319 this fall. The price of the X360 premium package (including 20 GB Hard Drive and wireless controller) is also expected to be cut by USD 100 to USD 399 this fall.

Stay with MegaGames for news on PS3 pricing from E3 2006.

There's a counterbalance rumour to the price thing. If its true, then that's going to put them 1up over microsoft... but i can't imagine how much money sony would loose selling it at that price.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:05 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
More Launch titles slip
http://megagames.com/news/html/console/ ... king.shtml
Quote:
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO David Reeves says many key PS3 titles will miss the November 17 launch window and will now release in 2007 but he adds that PS3 would sell 5 million units, at its current price, even if it had no games available for it.

The question of which games will be available for the console in November for its launch has been troubling journalists and gamers alike and Sony has been pretty vague on that subject. Talking to computer and video games during E3, Reeves mentioned that key titles such as Heavenly Sword, Formula One and Motosport will miss the PS3 launch but he stressed that Sony will have launch titles for all tastes and will focus on social gaming. As a result a PS3 SingStar will be available before Christmas 2006 and EyeToy games will begin surfacing around March 2007.

So Sony plans to target non-hardcore gamers as well while Nintendo Nintendo promises it won't be all kid's staff this time around; what's this world coming to?

So which launch titles can gamers expect to get on November 17? Reeves confirmed that Resistance: Fall of Man, Insomniac's shooter, will be a launch title but he refused to confirm any other games. Kaz Hirai, we assume he knew about the delayed games at E3 2006, mentioned 15 launch titles, so we have 14 unconfirmed games.

According the SCEE CEO, Sony believes that the next-gen battle will be decided six months following the PS3's release when ...all those hardcore gamers have bought PS3, they have also bought Xbox 360 and they have probably bought Nintendo Wii as well. I'm not sure which gamers he is thinking about but we doubt that many will opt for all three consoles just in order to decide which one they like best.

The final comment made by Mr. Reeves is the one which stands out and raises some doubts over Sony's state of mind when they were devising their next-gen strategy. We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even it didn't have games. We certainly hope that Sony has got its facts wrong as it wouldn't say much about gamers if that proved to be the case.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:52 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Quote:
but he adds that PS3 would sell 5 million units, at its current price, even if it had no games available for it.

??!! :o

WTF are they on at sony?!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:23 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
A sexual pleasure machine built in ?!?! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:19 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Lux Delux wrote:
A sexual pleasure machine built in ?!?! :lol:

I dunno, its complete madness, either they've looked at Sony going down the shitter and taking the piss or they've lied at the past few conferances and are going to jump out with some radical new concept and state they were only joking.

@lux,
You need to play with Nintendo's Wii :lol: beyond the name, check out the shape of the "Wii-Stick", and the fact it has rumble :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:27 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Yeah these new controllers are really kinky :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:01 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
It gets worse for sony, they've made a huge step to loosing a big market to microsoft with this official announcement...
Sony screws uk

1. Expensive model only
2. exchange rate? fuck the exchange rate :roll:
3. and the figure is...

£425 = $800
Direct Exchange from us -> uk: $599 -> £316
Difference: £109 sony have pulled out of their asses.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/18/uk-pl ... s-marbles/

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:06 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
:lol: were you expecting anything less?? Sony have consistently fucked the UK over with their pricing

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:16 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
So to buy it in Croatia... I will need.... meh too much :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:03 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Looks like sony are looking to eliminate the sale of second hand games:
http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/n ... ionId=1006

Quote:
High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

We assume that the thinking behind this move will ultimately be to stop PS3 games being resold several times - which currently snatches potential sales away from Sony - and to counter the impression in consumers' minds that games are only really worth their pre-owned price and are not worth buying new.

When we contacted Sony, it issued us with the following statement: "We have made all of the official announcements at E3 and cannot make any further comments at this time. We will be announcing more news running up to PlayStation 3's launch."

Not suprising given this is the same company that installed virus rootkits with audio cds you buy from them :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:03 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Gets better and better
Quote:
Then came the horrible news, RSX appears to be limited to setting up 275 Million triangles/second, anemic compared to the 500+ million in XBox360. When asked about this apparent thumping dished out by MS, the reply from one notable ISV relations boffin was a terse 'What a Piece of Junk'. Talk about a steak in the heart.

Half the triangle setup capability in the PS3, could things get worse? Yes, far far worse, how about another disparity of three orders of magnitude? No, I am not joking, looking at Sony's own figures, Cell appears to be pretty badly broken.

For main memory, it looks like Cell has about 25GBps of main memory bandwidth, and RSX is about 15-20GBps. Achievable bandwidth is between about two thirds of that and nearly 100%, clearly the elves in the caves surrounding Rambus central did something right with XDR. That is the happy news.

For local memory, the measured vs theoretical bandwidth is missing, I wonder why? RSX is at a solid 22.4GBps for both read and write, good job there green team. Then comes the blue team with Cell. Local memory write is about 4GBps, 40% of the next slowest bandwidth there. Then comes the bomb from hell, the Cell local memory read bandwidth is a stunning 16MBps, note that is a capital M to connote Mega vs a capital G to connote Giga. This is a three order of magnitude oopsie, and it is an oopsie, as Sony put it "(no, this isn't a typo...)".

If you can write at 250x the read speed, it makes Cell local memory just about useless. That means you do all your work out of main memory, and the whole point of local is, well, pointless. This can lead to contention issues for the main memory bus, and all sorts of nightmarish to debug performance problems. Basically, if this Sony presentation to PS3 devs shown to us is correct, it looks like PS3 will be hobbled in a serious way.

The next slide goes on to say "Don't read from local memory, but write to main memory with RSX(tm) and read it from there instead", and repeats the table numbers. This is very very bad. The number of times the presentation goes on to say that it is correct, and the lack of anything like "this will be fixed by production steppings, so take measures X, Y and Z" say to me that it is not a fixable snafu. Remember at E3 when I said that the PS3 demos there were object sparse? Any guesses why?
Someone screwed up so badly it looks like it will relegate the console to second place behind the 360. All the devs I talked to were lukewarm on the 360 architecture but universally negative on the PS3. Revelations like this go a long way to explain why you keep hearing about simmering problems from the Sony devs.

You end up with a console with half the triangle setup rate of the 360, a crippled CPU that is a bitch to program, and tools that are atrocious compared to the 360. To make matters worse, you have an arrogant set of execs telling us that twice the price is worth it for half the power, a year late. If it isn't already too late, Sony had better do something about this recto-cranial inversion or it may very well sink the console.

Source article : http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32171

It looks like they've REALLY screwed up this time

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:29 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Quote:
Talk about a steak in the heart.

I think he means Stake? :lol: Either that or he's a cannibal :wacky:

I have absolutely no faith in triangle counts, they have never meant anything. Remember gamecube launch? Sony kept saying we can do "99million", we can do "99 million", and nintendo said "it doesn't matter" or "I dunno, maybe 9?". Then they pulled out Rogue Squadren and it pissed on everything the PS2 could do, because raw triangles means absolutely nothing if you don't have full screen AA, motion blur and whatever effects you can pull off.

Polygons mean nothing, effects mean everything. That said I think this cell processor has been a walking disaster. Not content with having upto 50% of the yeild being worthless, i think its more hype than results.

I have no faith in the hardware, and certainly don't believe sony's bs. The numbers are bad, but in the console wars they've proven irrelevant or minimal at least in previous generations.

This set though are very, very bad, but don't really tell the whole story i don't think.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:23 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
This is some pretty funny shit:

source: http://www.ps3fanboy.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:46 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
So what is your current stand on the PS3 guys? Mild shit or utter shit? :lol:

No really, all Im looking forward to is Dynasty Warriors 6, but its gonna take ages for the price drop I guess. Stupid Sony :matrix:

I want Dynasty 6! NOW!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:01 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Well I'm rating it based on my experience of playstation 1 and 2. I loved my psx, for a while. However, i dispised and promptly sold my PS2. The games were largely generic and I really didn't find much love on that platform.

Japanese games I found largely dry and devoid of fun barring some exceptional examples. Games like Metal Gear Solid 2 and Gran Tourismo were what sony rested the existance of the console on, and I have to say for my personal choice that was just bad all over. I have no love for games like Metal Gear Solid. I find them kind of bland and not really adventurey or actiony as I like them. And mere simulation? meh... no interest in a simple racing, I prefer something like Carmageddon, or gimmicky racers since they are fun. I'm not a fan really of these generic japanese button bashers either, they get really samey and its just not my cup of tea

So that's what soured me to the playstation 2, and I'm afraid the same kind of trend continued after I sold. Xbox in a large part offers the same, but I found they provided a higher ratio of better games. I really enjoyed Fable and the stars wars kotor games (although i really hated the latter at first, when i played in on the pc). They still have some utterly shit games like Halo, but I found what they offered overall were more my type of game.

So bare in mind, I find sony's lineup increasingly weak and rather samey.

Now sonys hardware is becoming weaker daily, the games just aren't there, and more over the price is extraordinarily high. Its a poor console at a vastly increased price. So its a utter shit in combination from me. I have no desire to buy it, if it was dirt cheap i might have for the few good games they might have got, but its not.

Xbox360 is an okay console, it isn't perfect, but it not only gets the same few good games PS3 gets, there's some exclusives i've enjoyed too like kotor and Fable. Its cheaper, but still too much for what you get for my taste.

Given that power wise, Xbox360 is more than a match for ps3 on paper and in practise, its vastly cheaper and has more my kind of games. This makes my decision even more against sony. There's better, cheaper and more available already.

As for your point about dynasty warriors, Dynasty warriors will come out on the xbox360, just like they do now on the xbox 1. That's kind of my point, about why i'm not getting a playstation 3 unless they seriously, seriously shape up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:08 pm  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Oooh thanks Spud I didn't know Koei also went for Xbox 360, then there's still hope! :D

I presume 360 will get cracked and modded sooner, and the price will be lesser once PS3 makes the scene.

Hmmm will wait and see, but if Sony makes the complete fall down the shit lane... then it will definitely be 360... I also presume it's gonna be able to use it as an xvid media player just like the old one? After the modding off course.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:17 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
360 is already "cracked", if you mean play pirate games. You don't even need a modchip.

As for a real software scene, its not looking overly brilliant atm, nothing like the xbox 1 scene. Sony scene is always just for playing pirate games, the loading of software players wasn't really very good on the ps2.

If you weren't aware xbo360 has been cracked, two threads down:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=10753

and guide:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=11286