Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:16 am  Post subject: ok why is emule have soooo much long quenes

Servant Of The Dead Donkey
i just started using the emule after my utorrent was having problem with my internet for some reason.

mostly why is quene so long in emule rather than utorrent. as even if someone have a file i can still get the data of that file, but in emule i have to wait until a quene is avaialbe, which sometimes is so long or after a while its stops because i guess someoen else get the quene.....

:(

if emule intergrate some features of bittorent i guess emule will be much better and everyone will get the file rather than to wait for quene.

like having seeds and peer would be cool in emule p2p like utorrent

just a suggest and is they a wait to request for more seeders too

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:19 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
I'm sure Spud will implement this in the next version of Emule :wacky: :googley:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:21 am  Post subject:

Will Tear Your Soul Apart
Well it's about time he did so, isn't it? Then emule could finally be cool, like BT! :wacky:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:08 pm  Post subject:

Servant Of The Dead Donkey
and if possible the files could be exchange easily with each other
if i cant seem to get file complete in utorrent i can transfer to emule and vice versa

that will be so cool also

ppl should wait for quene to come but file should start to download

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:12 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
you keep saying that word...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:12 pm  Post subject:

Lunatic Of Gods Creation
I'll be sure to try and work these suggestions into the next version. Is there anything else you'd like me to add? I was thinking about a feature that would personally phone the full source to request a friendslot, but am thinking now that might be a bit much.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:23 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Lux Delux wrote:
I'm sure Spud will implement this in the next version of Emule :wacky: :googley:

ROFL :lol: :beerchug:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:36 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
IMO Emule upgrade to torrent technology would be a significant downgrade and hinderance to its size, scale and the availability of files. They are very different technologies and its probably better to keep them that way. integration has been poor and counter productive, which both edonkey2000, shareaza, mldonkey, etc. have demonstrated. I dunno does anyone actually use mldonkey's torrent implementation with its ed2k implementation?

The small queue sizes and small chunk downloading isn't actually overly necessary, emule is the complete opposite philosophy, large chunks and large queues. Its kind of a remnant of the age of the protocol, linked back to dailup, but it has its benefits. Retention is extremely high because of it i suspect and that is something emule has going for it in abundance :)

Queue sizes have to be high, its linked to the chunk sizes which are also high, and that inturn is a requirement of the ed2k protocol afaik. There's alternative systems but i've got no complaints about the queue sizes, but then I have no problem running mule 24/7.

I'm not sure emule would be quite so popular if it was based on a different system. Anything that is achievable and beneficial can be raised at the emule-project.net, but a lot of issues have already been raised and its becoming an incresingly optimised application. I think emule is going to hit 1.0 sooner or later from what i heard. Any changes would have to be a complete protocol change.

Torrent has a heck of a lot of weaknesses, the Tracker system is an appaulingly bad and significant limitation on the network, and i'm not overly impressed with the DHT network. Public trackers are a significant drop in speed, and on the user side the communities are a lot weaker than emule sites i've seen (at least in a quality, reshare and attitude level) which is segregated into private/exclusive content trackers. Emule is huge, and completely open, there's no option for privacy to any great degree, but if you use the emule protocol on a hub based level (and tehre are implementations) the speed is fast, just as fast as bit torrent in fact, but then you've got the same problem of segragation and its not an open system. Its faster because the queues are smaller, but retention is poor and availability is beyond weak. A system like that would destroy emule, in fact it would just be DC++

If its all speed wise, whatever torrent can do, newsgroups can do better ;) Its the clear winner, but then its cheating since there's no peers in that.

Quote:
I was thinking about a feature that would personally phone the full source to request a friendslot, but am thinking now that might be a bit much.

LOL! We need to buy Skype off ebay!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:54 pm  Post subject:
Request Territory

Request Territory
spudthedestroyer wrote:
IMO Emule upgrade to torrent technology would be a significant downgrade and hinderance to its size, scale and the availability of files. They are very different technologies and its probably better to keep them that way. integration has been poor and counter productive, which both edonkey2000, shareaza, mldonkey, etc. have demonstrated. I dunno does anyone actually use mldonkey's torrent implementation with its ed2k implementation?

The small queue sizes and small chunk downloading isn't actually overly necessary, emule is the complete opposite philosophy, large chunks and large queues. Its kind of a remnant of the age of the protocol, linked back to dailup, but it has its benefits. Retention is extremely high because of it i suspect and that is something emule has going for it in abundance :)

Queue sizes have to be high, its linked to the chunk sizes which are also high, and that inturn is a requirement of the ed2k protocol afaik. There's alternative systems but i've got no complaints about the queue sizes, but then I have no problem running mule 24/7.

I'm not sure emule would be quite so popular if it was based on a different system. Anything that is achievable and beneficial can be raised at the emule-project.net, but a lot of issues have already been raised and its becoming an incresingly optimised application. I think emule is going to hit 1.0 sooner or later from what i heard. Any changes would have to be a complete protocol change.

Torrent has a heck of a lot of weaknesses, the Tracker system is an appaulingly bad and significant limitation on the network, and i'm not overly impressed with the DHT network. Public trackers are a significant drop in speed, and on the user side the communities are a lot weaker than emule sites i've seen (at least in a quality, reshare and attitude level) which is segregated into private/exclusive content trackers. Emule is huge, and completely open, there's no option for privacy to any great degree, but if you use the emule protocol on a hub based level (and tehre are implementations) the speed is fast, just as fast as bit torrent in fact, but then you've got the same problem of segragation and its not an open system. Its faster because the queues are smaller, but retention is poor and availability is beyond weak. A system like that would destroy emule, in fact it would just be DC++

If its all speed wise, whatever torrent can do, newsgroups can do better ;) Its the clear winner, but then its cheating since there's no peers in that.

Think i'll continue/hijack this thread as my questions are about basically the same stuff.

Just to indicate what i'm used to. I'm an Ares guy, gotten used to the speed and "straight-forwardness" of that network, but I'm a total donkey newbie. Have never used it before I signed up here the other day.

I've had Shareaza running on eD2000 now for approx 48hrs. Steady uploading and I'm sharing roughly 700 movie and music files. Still the down speeds I get are pretty bad. 1-15kB and I have a feeling once I've moved into someones no1 position I'm there for maximum a min or so. Then I'm back to avg a 100 que position or something like that. First question, is my que position determind by how much I have shared to a particular other client or to the whole network? And, is the trick here to have many more downloads going at the same time to use maximum bandwidth, then u would get just as many completed downloads per day as any other network? And no3, is using Shareaza a total no-no? No4, does the server I'm connected to have anything to with speed, directly or indirectly? No5, if my wireless network goes down for a sec or two, do I loose all "credit"? Obviously I'm out of the ques.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:17 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
TRR wrote:
I've had Shareaza running on eD2000 now for approx 48hrs.

OK, there's the first problem, ditch shareaza and go for a "proper" emule client (I use Stullemule, but there are plenty of alternatives)
Quote:
Steady uploading and I'm sharing roughly 700 movie and music files.

There's the second problem, that's WAY too many files to share, limit it to a few popular ones and som rarities
Quote:
Still the down speeds I get are pretty bad. 1-15kB and I have a feeling once I've moved into someones no1 position I'm there for maximum a min or so. Then I'm back to avg a 100 que position or something like that.
Almost certainly linked to shareaza, can't really comment until you use a decent client
Quote:
First question, is my que position determind by how much I have shared to a particular other client or to the whole network?

To a particular client determines your speed through the queue and to the network determines whether you are / aren't speed limited
Quote:
And, is the trick here to have many more downloads going at the same time to use maximum bandwidth, then u would get just as many completed downloads per day as any other network?
Yes :)
Quote:
And no3, is using Shareaza a total no-no?

It is in my (and many others' book)
Quote:
No4, does the server I'm connected to have anything to with speed, directly or indirectly?
Not really, although a server with more users will mean you find more sources, which means more speed
Quote:
No5, if my wireless network goes down for a sec or two, do I loose all "credit"? Obviously I'm out of the ques.
You don't lose credits, BUT you do lose you position in the queue. More importantly emule is terrible on wireless in my experience, the latency makes it more or less unusable (Spud, can you elaborate on this?)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:09 pm  Post subject:
Request Territory

Request Territory
Thnx for the answers PC_Arcade :)
Searching for something else I stumbled upon NeoMule, so I will give that a try right now. If it don't work out I'll try StulleMule

The first thing I noticed after setting up NeoMule was that donkeyserver 1-6 said I was blacklisted and kicked me right out!! Can this be something shareaza have fucked up? Or my previously to many shared files? I've reduced the number now to 60 files.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:21 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Blacklisting happens temporarily when your client "misbehaves" :
emule-project wrote:
The new Lugdunum patched servers p75+ have a credit system to judge the clients behaviour. Each action like connecting, searching, asking for sources etc. costs credit points.If they are all used up, the server disconnects and sends a warning that this client is blacklisted.

It will pass, it's almost certainly a hangover from shareaza.

Neomule is a great client BTW.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:34 pm  Post subject:
Request Territory

Request Territory
PC_Arcade wrote:
Blacklisting happens temporarily when your client "misbehaves" :
emule-project wrote:
The new Lugdunum patched servers p75+ have a credit system to judge the clients behaviour. Each action like connecting, searching, asking for sources etc. costs credit points.If they are all used up, the server disconnects and sends a warning that this client is blacklisted.

It will pass, it's almost certainly a hangover from shareaza.

Neomule is a great client BTW.

It did pass, I'm accepted whoa :D

One thing, what ever I do, I'm not able to get a high id on KAD. All proper forwarding are set up on the Zyxel router through SUA and ports are open. Server high id is ok, but I've changed udp port 7 times now without any luck. Am I missing something obvious here? Btw, when doing the EDonkey port/fw test it gives me green on both.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:32 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
Try waiting a while, my Kad used to (on my old router) take a while to go green.

If that doesn't work , I don't know (sorry)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:55 pm  Post subject:
Request Territory

Request Territory
PC_Arcade wrote:
Try waiting a while, my Kad used to (on my old router) take a while to go green.

If that doesn't work , I don't know (sorry)

And u where right :beerchug: It came through in NeoMule right now. Thnx for the feedback PCA, appriciate it :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:22 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
NP :)

Glad to help

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:15 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Ares is good for mp3 :D (Among with the obvious champios of speed usenet).

ed2k is tha shit foranything (except complete dvds and bluray shit etc, that's also usenet terrain).

CHeers and enjoy your dls.

BTW: usenet is also great to get complete tv series ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:24 pm  Post subject:

Skull Full Of Maggots
I agree with vampelle. I really dislike the queue lines. It takes forever to get a tiny piece of the file especially if there's only one seeder.

One minute, I'm queued as 19 then another few minutes goes by and I'm back to 27. I don't know if I'm the only one who has that particular problem, but yeah queue lines gotta go. They're so kazaa and winmx.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:35 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
comparisons to kazaa and winmx still make me smile, both were updated to try and implement basic edonkey like functionality years after edonkey had done it first :) and they were still crappy for everything :lol: That was before even emule came out.

could be worse, you could be tied into a tracker and have no retention... once again, its a very different paradigm to torrent... slowly slowly catchy monkey.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:14 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
:lol: Winmx! That made me crap my pants :lol:

I wish everyone had 200 gbit upload so I could get files in Emule at direct download speed :roll: