Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:50 pm  Post subject: Directions to Servants (1978)(Tenjo Sajiki)(VHSRip)

Servant Of The Dead Donkey

ed2k: Nuhikun.-.Directions.to.Servants.(Tenjo.Sajiki.experimental.theater,.Shuji.Terayama,.1978).avi  [639.54 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Nuhikun.-.Directions.to.Servants.(Tenjo.Sajiki.experimental.theater,.Shuji.Terayama).[posters].rar  [1.34 Mb] [Stats]

ed2k: Nuhikun.-.Directions.to.Servants.(Shuji.Terayama,.translated.into.English.by.Tony....Nishiguchi).pdf  [104.3 Kb] [Stats]

I am quite thrilled to be able to share this piece: it was a lucky find on the Japanese P2P network Share. I've always dreamed of watching an actual Tenjo Sajiki production: the recent on-stage renditions of Terayama's plays seemed as watered down to me as they were glossed over. So, today, I finally got a chance to watch the real thing.

The quality of this video recording is very low, but that's probably as much as we'll ever get. Obviously, there are no subtitles. From a few hints in various Internet sources, it seems that Tony Rayns may have translated Terayama's play into English at some point, but I have not been able to locate any references to the actual translation, nor am I sure if it has been published at all... Tenjo Sajiki rocks!!!

EDIT 19Apr2007: An English translation of the script added. Huge thanks goes to murdermystery@KaraGarga!

Image Image Image

Quote:
...it was interesting to see the acrobatic Japanese actors of the Tenjosajiki company in Shuji Terayama’s Directions to servants. The title and some of the text were taken from Swift’s satire, but the main inspiration seemed to come from Genet’s Les bonnes. Multiplying the maids into a large cast of servants, male and female, who take it in turns to imitate the master, Tereyama has physicalized and partly mechanized the action. Domination is imposed partly through machines—we see a man submitting to an imperious voice on a tape recorder, lowering his trousers and climbing inside a sadistic machine that beats his bare buttocks.

The ingenuity, the sadism and the offbeat humour are all characteristic of the production. The main cruelty to the audience was in the over-amplification of J.A. Seazer’s music. I sat with my hands over my ears for a lot of the time. The visual assault was almost equally strong, and some of the theatrical imagery was quite unlike anything that had been seen in this country. In one meticulously choreographed sequence the servant playing at being master throws a bone to a succession of servants who play at being dogs. In another, a servant trying to steal food from a cupboard is terrified to find that it is like a puzzle: each panel conceals a face that sings at him accusingly, and he can silence it only by sliding a panel that reveals another singing face.

(http://www.english.fsu.edu/jobs/num04/Num4Hayman.htm)

[ Add all 3 links to your ed2k client ]

Last edited by helge79 on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:24 am  Post subject:

Demon Of The Abyss
Wierd!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:50 am  Post subject:

Master Of The Dead Donkey
:beerchug:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:31 pm  Post subject:

An English translation of the script added. Huge thanks goes to murdermystery@KaraGarga! (Of course, Terayama didn't care much for his own scripts, nor did he bother to write detailed scripts for his own stage productions. So the script only conveys the contents of the performance approximately. But it IS helpful...)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:31 am  Post subject:

Master Of The Dead Donkey
Thanks again Helge!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:34 am  Post subject:

In Hell I Burn
yeah damn nice turn up helge, recently i've pulled the allzine terayama shorts was gonna bang 'em on youtube but some are lets say sure fire unfit content. :wink:

<object><param></param><param></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nlbcwpxMy_0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I know that most if not all where included in the fine divxclassico set auess and trep kindly gave us, guess its no harm in getting alt rips that are split into the shorts instead of as part of collections. I dont think they warrant a fresh thread either, but worth a link here at least.

ed2k: 01.The.Cage.DVDRip.Shuji.Terayama.1964.With.Commentary-AllZine.avi  [123.65 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: 02.Emperor.Tomato.Ketchup.DVDRip.Shuji.Terayama.1971-AllZine.avi  [210.93 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: 03.The.War.Of.Jan-Ken-Pon.DVDRip.Shuji.Terayama.1971-AllZine.avi  [94.93 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: 04.Butterfly.DVDRip.Shuji.Terayama.1974-AllZine.avi  [106.54 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: 06.Movie.Guide.For.Young.People.DVDRip.Shuji.Terayama.1974-AllZine.avi  [40.62 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: 05.Laura.DVDRip.Shuji.Terayama.1974.With.Commentary-AllZine.avi  [104.03 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: 07.A.Tale.Of.Labyrinth.DVDRip.Shuji.Terayama.1975-AllZine.avi  [157.39 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: 08.A.Tale.Of.Smallpox.DVDRip.Shuji.Terayama.1975-AllZine.avi  [281.80 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: 09.Der.Prozess.DVDRip.Shuji.Terayama.1975-AllZine.avi  [365.95 Mb] [Stats]

[ Add all 9 links to your ed2k client ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:42 pm  Post subject:

theNomad wrote:
guess its no harm in getting alt rips that are split into the shorts instead of as part of collections.

The new ones are actually from a remastered DVD box!!! :mrgreen: