Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:08 pm  Post subject: Collections

Site Admin
*snipped from a collection in the dvd-rip section*

you want me to move this to the collections section or leave in here?

thx for the post btw :)

Last edited by spudthedestroyer on Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:15 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:
you want me to move this to the collections section or leave in here?

thx for the post btw :)

decisions decisions.....well maybe leave it here until they are all well spread then move to the collection thread could be an option :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:17 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
okay doke.

Just for clarification, the collection section wasn't created like it was for fileheaven.org, who had a section like that first. It was to stop the popular and massive threads swamping the single release threads in the DVD-rip section. If this gets to a few pages I'll move it then :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:26 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
i've posted it over at FH aswell in the dvd thread so hopefully they'll spread quicker than usual and a mod may well move it there aswell :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:44 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Just for clarification, the collection section wasn't created like it was for fileheaven.org, who had a section like that first. It was to stop the popular and massive threads swamping the single release threads in the DVD-rip section. If this gets to a few pages I'll move it then :)

I wonder whether there is no better method. I don't see how massive threads can swamp other threads. This one takes not much more space if it has 10, 20 or 1000 pages. But I think somehow certain "threads" should kept clean. In this case Bassline's first posting with the pictures and links. I'd like to have this one in a locked thread so no Wargand/PrayeR/Monkeysmasher junk can be added, however, at the end of Bassline's posting a link to a discussion/junk thread should be placed. This thread would be a "fork" from Bassline's original and should only be accessible through the locked house thread and have no entry link of its own elsewhere. This way the "root directory" could kept clean, we can still post our offtopic fun postings and the original thread would also not be polluted.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:53 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
sounds like a good idea to me 8) .....some of the collection threads are running for 5+ pages and is a bit of a nightmare navigating them and making sure you don't miss a link being posted. It would definately make the collection threads more pleasing to the eye and more accessible if you just had the links/pics/urls kept alone to all the other waffle we all love to do when we are bored :lol:

now someone make a twenty page poll thread on whether this could be an option for the future :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:32 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
The only thing I don't like about that is cross-posting. There are two other options, I could put a developing collections threads, where all the incomplete ones and ones where the first post isn't updated can go and then another section for decent well formed threads can go. The other thing to do is let collections be submitted to the mainpage and then link to a forum thread or use the comment system.

I like the collections in development/developed sections personally. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:03 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
yeah collections in development sounds like a good 'un to me...that way all the spammers can have there fun in there and leave the nice complete collections pleasing to the eye :P

as far as the complete collection goes......for example the video nasties thread....only the author (Iconoclast) of the thread can edit that thread and add any future links from the developing thread.......is there an option in the coding that stops everyone else posting in that thread?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:11 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
I don't think it really matters about other posters in the topic, if the author updates his first post. That way someone simply needs to browse the first post for information and links, but when someone creates a thread then leaves it, that's the problem.

If the creator is willing to continue to update is thread if/when it's necessary then it goes in the developed forum, else it stays in the in development. Ones that go south fast are locked, with a message asking if anyone wants to post another updated thread on the same subject can do.

That's how I was thinking it would work. The first post is the most important, the rest is discussion and contributions to the authors first post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:31 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=1577 - might this be relevant?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:42 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
Polityk wrote:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=1577 - might this be relevant?

This is about structure rather than content atm. I've already been reading that too. I think sequels should be regarded as collections for the reason that they are more likely to have more replys and posts and I don't think it's fair to have single release threads up against the likes of friday the 13th, nightmare on elm street, hellraiser, etc. swamping other films. I know i'm using swamping to describe it, and it might not happen but there will be several threads floating in the dvd-rip section that push newer releases out of the way

I think the splitting of development and developed might work well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:10 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
I don't believe this is necessary, but it's your forum and your decision, as usual.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:27 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
it's not necessary but it would certainly make things look a lot better for collections such as the video nasties collection and now the watery graves collection as they both look as if the threads are gonna be HUGE :o .....one simple post with the full collection will be far far easier to find all the links than surfing through 10pages + in cased you miss a link for a good movie IMO :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:41 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Yeah, unfortunatley that seems the best way to do it, unfortunatley it results in more moderation :(

But for like the watery grave thead once I've added peoples link to the main thread the surplus posts could be deleted and then when enough new posts with links build up and the main thread gets updated then those extra posts could be deleted.

So like bassline says the LARGER collection threads just have the main post with a tidy list of links etc etc.

Or you could possibly lock the thread off and state that any requests/links be PM'd to the thread author!
thats what i requested when I submitted the post becuase I know people would have tonnes of links to different films and could see the thread exploding!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:25 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
I suppose it boils down to how the first post is moderated by it's creator. I think the creator should update their inital post to reflect people's otherposts. I'll try out some things on the local server, but I think the most feasable way of doing things is to have two sections. Threads can then be bumped when new links are added, if they are locked you can't bump without nagging a mod to unlock then relock everytime. With the locking method you still need two sections and I'm not in favour of any cross-posting. It's bad practice with phpbb and could result in errors if the forum is ever moved, etc. Same reason I don't like shadow-topics too.. the ultimate evil :lol:

For example some of monkeys threads need moving into a development section as they have next to no links in the intial post, whereas the video nasties and other threads that are uptodate remain where they are.