Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:05 am  Post subject: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Skull Full Of Maggots
Does anyone have a list of Blu-ray players that support Xvid? I think there might be a few Panasonics that do but don't know which ones. I suppose that it will also be easier to make BRD players compatible with Xvid with firmware.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:06 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Demon Of The Abyss
PS3?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Skull Full Of Maggots
Vae Victis wrote:
PS3?

I've been reading that it might. The problem is I don't have one because I don't play games much anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:51 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Mod of the Living Dead
The PS3 plays divx / xvid fine, the panasonic BD30K (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... ROKL5A1OLE) does and AFAIK the BD50k does too

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:50 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Site Admin
i wouldn't bother, really. If you don't play games then its an utter, utter waste of money at the moment. The catalogue is tiny, generally new releases or that disc you have ten times already, and the cost is unjustifiable. BluRay isn't worth the price.

Buy a semi-decent laptop or build a pc if you know how (monkeys can do it!), stick XBMC on it (will play anything) and get a newsgroup subscription to download your 1080p:
alt.binaries.hdtv

It might be the only HD disc format but its market share is pitiful, its adaption rate is miniscule, its price point is far too high (in a friggin recession, no price drop? really?), and the technology past the PS3 is pathetic. Combine that with the bluray recorders doing incredibly poorly in comparison to cd and dvd writers at this point in their lifespan and its tad shakey ground.

If you really want a bluray player, you have two viable options; build your own or get a ps3. PS3 is heavily subsidised so its economical, building your own pc with a bluray drive will ensure 100% compatability with no transcoding, format dodging, etc. ... but it will cost you.

If you've got money to burn, get a ps3 if you like those games, if not, you might want to consider decking out a new pc and installing this little beauty on it:
http://xbmc.org/
I'd skip a BluRay drive right now, you can always buy one later if you go the silent pc media center route.

You might have guessed I'm skipping this one out... not HD, I get 1080p streams from newsgroups, but buying into this format at this cost; I just don't see how the current format can last without a radicale change in policy (ie. slash the prices to a quarter of their current costs). Its had a monopoly since the demise of HD-DVD, but market penetration is about 5% (there was a recent report saying 8%, but their numbers don't actually add up :lol: ) and the catalogue is really rather small. :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:08 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Site Admin
Then again, someone has to waste their money on bluray to rip them and put them on newsgroups :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:36 am  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Skull Full Of Maggots
PC_Arcade wrote:
The PS3 plays divx / xvid fine, the panasonic BD30K (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... ROKL5A1OLE) does and AFAIK the BD50k does too

Okay that's a good sign that there are two from the same company. I'm assuming that they're like the DVD players that are divx certified but can also play xvid without gmc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:27 am  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Skull Full Of Maggots
spudthedestroyer wrote:
i wouldn't bother, really. If you don't play games then its an utter, utter waste of money at the moment. The catalogue is tiny, generally new releases or that disc you have ten times already, and the cost is unjustifiable. BluRay isn't worth the price.

Buy a semi-decent laptop or build a pc if you know how (monkeys can do it!), stick XBMC on it (will play anything) and get a newsgroup subscription to download your 1080p:
alt.binaries.hdtv

It might be the only HD disc format but its market share is pitiful, its adaption rate is miniscule, its price point is far too high (in a friggin recession, no price drop? really?), and the technology past the PS3 is pathetic. Combine that with the bluray recorders doing incredibly poorly in comparison to cd and dvd writers at this point in their lifespan and its tad shakey ground.

If you really want a bluray player, you have two viable options; build your own or get a ps3. PS3 is heavily subsidised so its economical, building your own pc with a bluray drive will ensure 100% compatability with no transcoding, format dodging, etc. ... but it will cost you.

If you've got money to burn, get a ps3 if you like those games, if not, you might want to consider decking out a new pc and installing this little beauty on it:
http://xbmc.org/
I'd skip a BluRay drive right now, you can always buy one later if you go the silent pc media center route.

You might have guessed I'm skipping this one out... not HD, I get 1080p streams from newsgroups, but buying into this format at this cost; I just don't see how the current format can last without a radicale change in policy (ie. slash the prices to a quarter of their current costs). Its had a monopoly since the demise of HD-DVD, but market penetration is about 5% (there was a recent report saying 8%, but their numbers don't actually add up :lol: ) and the catalogue is really rather small. :(

I just don't want to end up feeling left behind by not having a blu-ray standalone. All of the newer movie titles are probably going to all be released only to blu-ray sooner or later. I did have a blu-ray (I gave it back) rom that played BRDs that didn't have writing capability but it wasn't what I was looking for. I would rather have a computer BRD with burning capability instead. That way the BR file can be encoded to a lower resolution and much smaller file that's easier to store. Yes the quality is nice but the sizes of the files are simply too enormous (20+ GB :o), and I'm satisfied with DVD quality resolution for playback. I'm also considering that encoding will move to x264. That's one reason I want a standalone. Xvids will play on DVD players and watched on TVs but x264 will need a player that supports h264.

Want to know what I think? I think the move to 1080 was a complete waste. They could have just used h264 at lower bitrates with 720 and the quality would still be great.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:36 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Site Admin
If you think 1080p is a waste then i completely re-enforce the notion of skipping bluray; and spending the money on a subscription to newsgroups to get 720p x264 rips. Personally i think 1080p looks better than 720p, but buying a device so you can use it at half capacity just seems; well wrong.

Quote:
All of the newer movie titles are probably going to all be released only to blu-ray sooner or later.

You really think so? Really? At this rate it will be 15 years before its gets 1:1 with DVD, and add in that we are now in a recession and we are talking about a niché device. No format lasts 15 years. I think not only will there be another format there'll be legal download possibilities. Any new film will be available on DVD as well as bluray for a long, long time; there is absolutely no thought in my mind to the contrary. Buy the dvd, download the HD ;)

I think you are better off without investing in bluray at the moment; build a quiet, fast media pc and leave a spare bay for a bluray drive in it. This will ensure:
a) everything will play, from a crappy quicktime mov, to a 1080p mkv or any next-next gen format
b) you can build to the spec and budget you want
c) you can upgrade and add in bluray if there is a radical, radical change in situation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Master Of The Dead Donkey
spudthedestroyer wrote:
build a quiet, fast media pc and leave a spare bay for a bluray drive in it

+1

Apache wrote:
I think the move to 1080 was a complete waste. They could have just used h264 at lower bitrates with 720 and the quality would still be great.

not all movies look better at 1080p, specially old movies that were not properly remastered. But properly remastered or new movies look soo much better at 1080p. In fact many people don't buy Bluray now, because they are waiting for the next higher specs standard. New movies are digitally stored at higher resolutions than 1080p, so it won't be so hard to upgrade.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:48 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Site Admin
do you think that's why they aren't releasing the back catalogue at any great rate? Looking through the store's (usually very small) bluray section, its very hard to fnd anything but crap american comedies and latest releases.

There isn't much of a back catalogue which I find suprising; with DVD it was similar with every new release going, but there were scores of older films being released too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:40 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Master Of The Dead Donkey
spudthedestroyer wrote:
do you think that's why they aren't releasing the back catalogue at any great rate?

The reason is probably that the market share of Bluray is still so small.

BTW, Spider-Man 2 (2004) was the first movie scanned at 4K (4096 horizontal pixel resolution) and this year they used 8K for Baraka (65 mm negative source). I'm sure they have a lot of content by now that's ready for the next highdef generation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:32 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Site Admin
Same Spider-Man 2 sucked monkey balls :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:06 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Mod of the Living Dead
Although it was a masterpiece compared to Spiderman 3 :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:47 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Site Admin
the mess i just made to the toilet was a masterpiece compared to spider-man 3... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:04 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Mod of the Living Dead
rofl :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:47 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Demon Of The Abyss
spudthedestroyer wrote:
do you think that's why they aren't releasing the back catalogue at any great rate? Looking through the store's (usually very small) bluray section, its very hard to fnd anything but crap american comedies and latest releases.

There isn't much of a back catalogue which I find suprising; with DVD it was similar with every new release going, but there were scores of older films being released too.

Released , yes, but actually sold ?

My local hardware market has several skips with bargain dvds ; 5 for 5 euro and like.
They're in there , I suspect , not due to blueray pressure, but for just not selling.

I mean who the hell would pay a euro for a steven suckall dvd ?

My point is , a lot of older movies just didn't sell all that well. Why release it again at 20-30 euro/dollar ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:27 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Demon Of The Abyss
I adopted DVD early on, 1999, due to the superb selection of back catalogue horror on R1 from the likes of Elite and Anchor Bay. I don't have a Blu-Ray and have no inclination to buy one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:12 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Site Admin
George Tatum wrote:
I adopted DVD early on, 1999, due to the superb selection of back catalogue horror on R1 from the likes of Elite and Anchor Bay. I don't have a Blu-Ray and have no inclination to buy one.

Bingo! That is exactly my point with the back catalogues; ironically its the only hd disc format out there and its region coded on many titles :roll:

As for paying 20 - 30 Euros, that's kind of the rest of my point. There's justification for that price point, for ANY title. Throw in a freakin recession and its got to be the most retarded decision to carry on scraping in royalties on a luxury item.

They've had a monopoly for what, six solid months? Yet they've made no real gain in sales, the technology is woefully underwhelming...

DVD was the first real digitalised format, which means the discs don't degrade. The jump to HD isn't as significant and they have done absolutely no favours to consumers with bluray... I'm suprised its not <1% of the market to be honest :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:54 pm  Post subject: Re: Blu-ray players with Xvid support?

Skull Full Of Maggots
spudthedestroyer wrote:

I think you are better off without investing in bluray at the moment; build a quiet, fast media pc and leave a spare bay for a bluray drive in it. This will ensure:
a) everything will play, from a crappy quicktime mov, to a 1080p mkv or any next-next gen format
b) you can build to the spec and budget you want
c) you can upgrade and add in bluray if there is a radical, radical change in situation.

I've been looking around the internet the past couple of days for HTPC related hardware and anything decent the size of a HT receiver will end up costing more than a standalone bluray player. Even some of nice looking cases alone cost about as much as a low end bluray player. Then there are the other parts like cpu, graphics, motherboard etc. In the end I'll probably be spending almost twice as much as one of the standalones. Yes they'll play anything that's the good part. If I find something to put together that would also be very compact and a decent price I may go that way.

If DVD stays around that long that's great :D