Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:06 pm  Post subject: Easy way to make an external hd write protected?

The Ancient One
Hi guys

I just bought an external hd, and have transferred a bunch of films onto it. Now that they're there though, I wanna make sure that they wont get fucked up if I put it into another other computer, protect it from virus and make sure no one can delete/move/change anything by mistake.

I've tried googling for this, but only found articles on people wanting to remove write protection from their hd, not the other way around.

But isn't there a simple way of doing this, so that I can lock and unlock my hd for writing?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:22 pm  Post subject: Re: Easy way to make an external hd write protected?

The Ancient One
I've never heard of a virus that infects films. Isn't there any hardware lock on your HD?

I doubt that it can be done by software. If it can, there ought to be another software that removes the lock. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:32 pm  Post subject: Re: Easy way to make an external hd write protected?

The Ancient One
maybe they don't infect films, but some virus' will copy infected files onto any connected drive. I've had that with usb sticks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:52 am  Post subject: Re: Easy way to make an external hd write protected?

Site Admin
A virus is just something running as a system process, find it, kill it, delete it, clean it.
Problem solved.

Not clicking on snizzle at random, not installing stuff to default locations, making sure nothing runs on startup (remove it from your registry and startup foldeR) are the best ways to keep your pc clean.

I've never seen one 'infect' video files, replace everything that's .avi yes, copy to the same drive yes, but infect them no. Just set it to read only if you are that bothered, personally, i wouldn't bother

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Easy way to make an external hd write protected?

The Devil, Probably

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:11 pm  Post subject: Re: Easy way to make an external hd write protected?

The Ancient One
The red circle should be on the other side. :outsider: :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:26 pm  Post subject: Re: Easy way to make an external hd write protected?

The Devil, Probably
elchupacabra wrote:
The red circle should be on the other side. :outsider: :D

He's right. :lol:

Nasty viruses replace some system files and you can't remove them, let alone killing the system process. I hate those.
I have a USB pen drive with a switch that makes it write protected.

How about installing an application which lets you access a non-windows-like filesystem, e.g: ext3? This way you can format the drive and the virus won't be able to access it. :roll:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Next release will be: La Cité Des Entfants Perdu (1995) + Making Of (Status: working on the subtitles)
Last release was: Svengali (1931)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:27 pm  Post subject: Re: Easy way to make an external hd write protected?

The Devil, Probably
Haha... I just found the pic with red circle included. I didn't catch that.

Here is a better one:

The USB flash drive with write protect isn't a bad idea for a solution especially with the storage capacity these days. I've got a 32GB I use all the time (no write protect though, but I really don't have a need).