Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:13 pm  Post subject: Partition Corruption

The Devil, Probably
Really need some advice here as i think i have lost 2 500G drives.
My son was watching the arsenal game on the pc and he says to me dad theres some pop up boxes coming up. By the time i get there this "thing" had installed itself, called xpmaleware tool,it proceeded to take over windows security centre causing two warnings one about auto updates the other about no anti virus. The prog itself had the security centre logo and immeidiatly started scanning when clicked. It was of course a pay programme and wanted registration etc to work. It disabled task manager and spybot s&d. I restarted the pc and all the above goes on again.I then notice no AVG, wont start and the only way i can get the gui up is by right clicking a file and "scan with AVG" and it tells me no installed components !!. Restart into safe mode and i managed to delete the files from the temp folder. Restarted and had managed to get rid of the security warnings but still no task manager AVG or spybot and still this prog scanning my pc.Back into safe mode and i manage to get AVG to do a full scan and it finds another trojan but dont think it was related.Restart and again no change. So i think it has to be in the regestry (it also turned system restore back on!)so i use tweakxp to do a reg scan it finds a few errors as it always does so i delete the errors as i all ways do, then i restart holding my breath it boots up and yes no fucking prog scanning my pc. Heres where it goes horribly wrong, not only do i still have no avg spybot task manager i have no working links, every programme i click i get the message "this file is not assossated with any programme please open up folder option and...." nothing works no right click on my computer, desktop no explorer.exe etc etc. All the progs are there and will work if you right click and "run as" so i come to the conclusion that my registry is fucked and the best thing i can do is reinstall windows. I have 2 500g drives in mt pc and i move all my date onto one so i can disconnect it when i reinstall. At this point both drives are showing as fine with correct capacity.I start to reinstall windows onto the drive but discover that its only showing 131g (it does show as 500 in bios)so i delete the only partition showing expecting the rest of the space to pop up but no still only 131g available. I carried on with the reinstall but under widows still only showing as 131g worst still when i re attach the other drive that is only showing as 132 and says it needs formatting!!.So far i have been to WD and d/l software for a boot up disc which writes zeros to the whole drive under dos but even after doing this, under the windows set up disc the drive still only shows 131g. The WD software clearly says 500g. Am at my wits end now so any help gratfully recieved.
:beerchug:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:08 pm  Post subject: Re: Partition Corruption

Site Admin
arrghh, paragraphs man!

What version of windows? Cos if you are still pissing around with windows xp on an old pc, get over it and move to vista or better yet windows 7!

right next: http://www.computing.net/answers/window ... 17344.html

Install all the windows xp updates, especially the sp1 through 3 updates and look in wd to make sure you have the drivers and what not installed.

Short: stop using windows xp, seriously this is to everyone. Get over it, its dead and both vista and 7 are better. Sure there's tiny incompatibilities, most have workarounds are caused by deprecated software. I've been using vista for years and now windows 7 and have no problems.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:53 am  Post subject: Re: Partition Corruption

The Devil, Probably
funny thing about your replies spud, in amongst the rant there is all ways reliable help. Prob was with the windows disc not having sp1 so i used a different disc and no probs :beerchug: :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:25 pm  Post subject: Re: Partition Corruption

Master Of The Dead Donkey
Hey doc,

I know there's no more troubles yet but use CCleaner, it really helps...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:56 pm  Post subject: Re: Partition Corruption

Dr Phibes wrote:
funny thing about your replies spud, in amongst the rant there is all ways reliable help.

:lol: :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:45 pm  Post subject: Re: Partition Corruption

Site Admin
might still be worth ditching windows XP anyway, depends on your hardware I suppose but windows 7 works hunky-dorey for me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:05 pm  Post subject: Re: Partition Corruption

I'm an old fart who doesn't like to upgrade, so I'm still running XP. But Western Digital's newest 2TB drives come with 4K sectors and that's not supported by XP. I guess I'll upgrade when I get one of those drives.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:02 pm  Post subject: Re: Partition Corruption

The Devil, Probably
I'm on win7 now for about a week and I really like it so far :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:02 pm  Post subject: Re: Partition Corruption

Site Admin
The whole campaign against vista was bullshit and its flowing over onto windows 7. vista was a minuscule performance hit because they rearranged a lot of the inner workings, it was also a sizeable improvement. The real problem was absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft, it was shit cobblepot companies basically poor drivers.

Windows 7 is the most stable and improved version of windows around, so I really would advise people to upgrade, if they have a machine made in the past 1 or 2 years anyway. It actually works well on underspecced machines too.

People still think windows xp is the best because of a load of bullshit flying around about vista being bad. Usually comes down to a few die-hards on shit hardware/bad drivers, or using an antiquated piece of software they couldn't live without that no one else uses.

Last thing I'll say on the matter, just really: drop any predetermined opinions or any whiney non-applicable slur campaigns against windows 7, its a sizable improvement over all previous windows OSs, and i've used it since launch as a primary operating system on most of my machines, the others being ubuntu.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:20 am  Post subject: Re: Partition Corruption

The Ancient One
It must be so bad. They are even advertising it on TV now. :)