Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:09 am  Post subject: Films like Beetle Juice (1988)

Site Admin
Does anyone know of any films that feel/look/watch like Beetle Juice (1988)?

I just re-watched the film and it just looks fantastic, its not like hardcore horror or anything and its very much a family film apart from the language and humour in the odd part (the odd 'fuck' is in there, the whore house, etc.). Was reading about the first draft which was an outright comic horror film, which had some neat ideas. I've been disappointed with Tim Burton's recent films when you hold them up to his original pieces; things like Alice, Sweeny Todd, etc. I think he's wasting his time on, and just don't rate. Would be nice to see him take on a good original script for a change and not a remake.

Anyway, are there any other films like it or you can draw comparisons with? I'm talking aesthetically, genre wise, plot or look and feel.

It very much feels like it leans on German expressionist cinema, but in a goofy, spin. There's obviously the rest of the Burton's such as Sleepy Hollow, Edward Scissor Hand's although very held back in comparison. For closeness, I guess Nightmare Before Christmas and Coraline fit the bill the most. I'd also look at the Forbidden Zone which feels the same kind of zany weirdness but unfortunately with some misses in plot, tone and watch-ability (I love Forbidden Zone btw!)

In terms of feel, I have to say that Gremlins has the same quality although a little more serious and plodding, whilst Gremlins 2 is much more on the comic horror side of things.

What I'd love to see is something that latches onto the weirdness of the otherside, for example, wouldn't you just love to see what's on the other side in Poltergeist?

So, any recommendations? Latch onto any comparisons in plot, look, feel, genre, tone :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:45 pm  Post subject: Re: Films like Beetle Juice (1988)

The Ancient One
cool movie and Beetle Juice have now been released on bluray, worth buying if you ask me... :beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:23 pm  Post subject: Re: Films like Beetle Juice (1988)

Demon Of The Abyss
I would say the old Terry Gilliam films, like Brazil or The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. But don't ask me why. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:33 pm  Post subject: Re: Films like Beetle Juice (1988)

Site Admin
Mataesfola wrote:
I would say the old Terry Gilliam films, like Brazil or The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. But don't ask me why. :lol:

Brazil's bureaucracy reminds me a lot of the other side in Beetle Juice, its madness and disorganised. In terms of visuals, Gilliam is very much german expressionist in nature so it feels very similar.

@d0c, bluray =! purchase, i've downloaded a rip.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:44 pm  Post subject: Re: Films like Beetle Juice (1988)

The Ancient One
is it a 1920x1080 release?.... check with media info... nothing wrong with owning the bluray and downloading a rip either :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:07 pm  Post subject: Re: Films like Beetle Juice (1988)

Site Admin
yahuh, 1080p (minus cropping). Not buying bluray, I'll buy it when there's some format worth buying ;)

Anyway distractions; any other films?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:22 pm  Post subject: Re: Films like Beetle Juice (1988)

The Ancient One
I'd suggest:

* Das Cabinet des Doktor Caligari (1920)
* The Brain (1988)
* Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1988)
* Ice Cream Man (1995)
* Skinned Deep (2004)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:17 pm  Post subject: Re: Films like Beetle Juice (1988)

Site Admin
I wouldn't have thought of any of those, I will have a look.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:46 am  Post subject: Re: Films like Beetle Juice (1988)

Site Admin
Twilight Zone movie segment for the kid with the powers reminded me a lot of Beetle Juice in terms of set dressing, lighting and special effects:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:30 am  Post subject: Re: Films like Beetle Juice (1988)

The Ancient One
What about House 2?
(I put it up for direct dl at my blog: http://www.cultcinema.net/2010/12/house-ii-second-story-1987.html)

Btw, about Forbidden Zone: I recently bought the colorized version and both me and my friend agreed it might actually be better in B/W.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:09 pm  Post subject: Re: Films like Beetle Juice (1988)

Site Admin
John_Doe wrote:
Btw, about Forbidden Zone: I recently bought the colorized version and both me and my friend agreed it might actually be better in B/W.

I've only ever seen it in black and white :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:15 pm  Post subject: Re: Films like Beetle Juice (1988)

Buried In The Backyard
What about the "Addams Family Movies"? The dark humor is there

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:41 pm  Post subject: Re: Films like Beetle Juice (1988)

Site Admin
spidertot wrote:
What about the "Addams Family Movies"? The dark humor is there

A bit too populist and I don't remember the gothic horror, etc. I haven't seen them in a long time though, but they seemed a bit kiddy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:01 pm  Post subject: Re: Films like Beetle Juice (1988)

The Ancient One
wildrose=spambot!!!!!!!