Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:31 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Mod of the Living Dead
I'm using 8 and it's OK, once you turn off all the metro shite, it's good, fast and stable.

My opinion if course, but I think it get a lot of shit (deservedly so) for Metro, but people overlook the improvements to the non metro side, it's definitely faster for one.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:31 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Site Admin
Slayer wrote:
2. I have used both cards in the past, and both had their pros and cons. I guess it's a bit like Windows vs Mac, you like the one and therefore dislike the other. Personal tastes, you know ;)

Not really, it isn't an apples for windows comparison its. apple vs windows is a matter of different approaches taken to solve the same task of providing an operating system, ux, performance and security are radically different. Hardware is easy: ati and nvidia both aim to achieve an identical task in an identical manner. ie. render polygons in a game world to be identical. Personal tastes don't come into it, unless by personal taste you mean purely being cheap?

Nvidia has a better software feature set and more stable drivers, you can see this through the virtue that driver to driver there isn't massive game breaking changes or massive frame rate differences. ATI drivers have on numerous occasions broken older games to get newer games working and see sporradic and random changes in FPS. That speaks volumes for the quality of the output. The other factor that is clear is just look at the non-windows driver support. It doesn't exist. My current graphics card is a ATI, its last less time the previous Nvidia one, and I need to upgrade drivers more. When i add in i use linux (although i don't boot into it often) it gets even more blatant. So that one is simple.

The other issue is ATI cards are cheap and run much hotter than Nvidia cards. This is because they are cheap and its all about brute force power. Things like physx, gsync, etc. never come from the ATI world. Likely how ATI is inside all three consoles, its cheap and brute force stats.

I don't think its anything like the osx vs windows arguements which I'd totally agree personal choices play in matter; its just a matter of cost when it comes to hardware. ATI is always cheaper, because they are cheaper.

@windows8, I wiped it from my laptops, it was slower than windows 7 and since i use linux on a daily basis I don't see the point of spending ages tuning it to be as fast and as close to windows 7 as i can get it :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:10 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Site Admin
Okay, I have started buying:

Graphics - EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Classified Hydro Copper 3072MB

Watercooling - XSPC RayStorm D5 Photon RX360

Next CPU:
So 4770k or 4930k? The former has some useless bloat (gpu, etc.) but sports a higher clock, whilst 4930k has more cores (at a lower clock), and more cache. its also got more €€€.

Motherboard options for 4770k:

Msi Z87-GD65

Asus Maximus IV

And for 4930k:

ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME Black edition

That's probably adding 300€ over a 4770k :o

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:07 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Site Admin
I went with a 4930k and the motherboard above :lol:

Here's how its looking:
Image Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:29 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

The Ancient One
And you can still live in that 950D. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:34 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Site Admin
^Rogue^ wrote:
And you can still live in that 950D. :)

Yeah, I was thinking of putting a mini-ITX motherboard in for the NAS too :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:17 am  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Site Admin
So the final piece arrived this last week, so i cut the tubing and installed it:

Haven't plugged it into a monitor, I've spun it up and it looks like everything is fine, no leaks. Next I'll boot into something and install windows 8.1 and ubuntu 12.04.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:56 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

The Ancient One
Nice :) If you find out how to get the mule running in 8.1, I'm all ears :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:46 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

Site Admin
Slayer wrote:
Nice :) If you find out how to get the mule running in 8.1, I'm all ears :)

Well I haven't used for ages and I'm assuming by that you mean it doesn't work natively? If not VirtualBox should work fine! :lol:
https://www.virtualbox.org/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:32 pm  Post subject: Re: PC Gaming - Hardware recommendations?

The Ancient One
Well, port test was sucessful, but connecting to Kad remained a problem: viewtopic.php?p=231728#p231728