Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:47 pm  Post subject: Anybody use peer guardian?

Buried In The Backyard
I only ask because I'm curious if it actually works. I have been using it for a while and sometimes it claims to have thousands of blocks, at other times nothing. And this seems to be regardless of how long I've been letting it run.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:00 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
nope don't bother and it makes little difference :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:07 pm  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
That's what I was afraid of. I will probably continue to use it because I don't really see what it could hurt and to keep my false sense of security :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:11 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
i disagree with spud

depends on your countries laws at the moment, but
if your american, use it. update it, keep using it.

the number of blocked/rejected ip's depends on what your downloading. grab a screener of some new big budget movie and watch your peer guardian. i'd suggest league of extreordinary gentlemen.

i try to have a few layers o' protection on my box, but i;m sure if someone wants in to your computer, they're going to get in,

'I thought it was obvious, you sillly girl.
I'm a monster. I do monstrous things.'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:16 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
anr11 wrote:
That's what I was afraid of. I will probably continue to use it because I don't really see what it could hurt and to keep my false sense of security :(

aaarggggggggg i was tooo slow!!!!!!!!!

i dont think germany is too strict on p2p, anyways. mostly just usa,

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:21 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I use the PG IP lists, but use them in sygate pro.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:27 pm  Post subject:

Buried In The Backyard
They haven't started a crackdown here yet but I have no doubt that it is coming and they are in the information gathering stages now. They've began the "war on piracy" here by passing this B.S. law that makes any software that is capable of bypassing copy protection schemes illegal. In reality, all this is doing is stopping all legal sales of burning software that can bypass protection (which most of the software out there I think can bypass at least some of the very old copy protection schemes) and forcing people to download their burning software p2p. The worst part about it is that exactly what constitutes copy protection is very much left open to interpretation. I've read that, under this law, the region coding on DVD's could even be construed as copy protection, thus outlawing DVD player software or tweaks that can bypass region coding. That's just rediculous to me and goes to show you how much of the political world is in the Entertainment industry's pocket. :x

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:50 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
well, i got cease and desist letters from almost 2 months ago recently, so you may not see the 'consequences' for a file until quite a bit later, theoretically up to years later. the anti-p2p folk can just let the 'hits' on you add up, then sock them to you all at once. the make some good money from the riaa and mpaa to do this sort of things. i would think there is some sort of ex post facto, but the current law seems to be completely in thier favor, at least far as im concerned. i dont want to put my lawyer's kids thru medical school, as my nonp2p legal defense money has already bought him a rather nice size pool.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:46 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
PeerGuardian didn't work the last time i tried it.
Try blocking the whole internet (0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255) and see if emule stop transfering or not.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:50 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
monkeysmasher wrote:
i disagree with spud
the number of blocked/rejected ip's depends on what your downloading. grab a screener of some new big budget movie and watch your peer guardian. i'd suggest league of extreordinary gentlemen.

You misunderstand what I'm saying, the server still hands out your ip freely rendering your peerguardian useless.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:18 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
eh, im no internet expert, just from what ive read,
the anti-p2p dorks have to confirm that the file on your computer is the one they think it is, peer guardian tries to block thier connection to you. your ip# will still show up(u can try an anon proxy server, i guess) but they cant up or download to you.

yeah, i see peer guardian doesnt catch everything, thats why i suggest using a few layers of security. peer guardian tries to sort each ip# against the list of blocked ones. very cpu intensive, having an infinite que or using 1000's of connections makes my computer lockup. looks like when bunch of connections come, they can push thier way thru peer guardian.

or the anti-p2p could just use thier personal computers, or use new ip addresses, the mpaa and riaa dont lack the funds to do it, they can do anything they want.

i dont know all that much, but i do try to keep covered. i have just been up/downing 1 or 2 files at a time, with 20 or so openings, and blocking everyone i dont know. its been working great for me when i just want horror films/hhah files, i just message someone i know and ask for the friendslot, and i try to have one they want so they can have my friendslot. like yesterday, i got about 600mb from spud, while i up'ed 905mb to a single person.

i'm still waiting till the riaa says,'we are no longer making any new music, we find it more profitable just to sue the people downloading old music. RIAA vs Everybody'

i did have a few other anti-p2p countermeasures of my own, but im still working on them for practical use.