Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:23 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
spudthedestroyer wrote:
Quote:
Right, well I'm learning here too

So +R is "more" compatible with video and -R is cheaper and "more" compatible with PC's.

So for me I burn alot of dvd9 discs so will try and stick to +R for that, but for my emules downloads will stick to the cheaper -R.

Not really, i see why u said 'more' :). The +r media is, or rather was the format official backed by the DVD council, however, as it was crappy they now support both mediums :lol: -r demand was 20% higher than that of +r in the first quarter of this year, it's cheaper and just as compatible (and better for console compatability). Granted +r media did play in a lot of really old (i'm talking original DVD players here), it failed in those just as many times as -r. In most modern players, well practically all, both formats work flawlessly anyway. +r doesn't work well in xbox and ps2, which is very important... cos who's dumb enough to own one of those and not have it chipped. I can confirm that +r doesn't always work, my friend has a few snapped discs to prove it :lol: The cheap media means it's also better for data storage.

I'd say always back up games, data and what not to -r, and read up on the player you intend to use before bothering to buy any +r. There's just a big a chance that -r won't play as +r won't play, so why pay more? :) That's the way I look at it anyways.

I'll be buying a few more drives for some of the pcs in my house, i think i'll go for the pioneer :)

However, 8x +r writers are out, whilst only 4x -r is out, which is a big advantage atm. I still haven't found any information, news or anything really to show that +r is either winning or a better format.

There are a few sites to check out, but for a bit of news I normally visit http://www.dvdrecordable.org . Decent news and what not.

BTW
3.90euros?????

-r media about 60p to ?1.50, or more in shit shops
+r media is roughly ?1 to about ?2.50, or more in shit shops

My old DVD player (it's about a year old) will only play DVD+RW. Nothing else :roll:
So it's not just really old DVD players, it's really cheap and nasty ones too ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:36 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Right then lads!

I'm sticking to -R then, coz it's done me no harm so far :)

My next task is to try and squeexe as many avi/(s)vcd converted movies onto 1 DVD before quality gets noticable!

Once people heard I've got a dvdr drive requests kept pouring in :roll:

I'm too nice a guy and always like to help out and be generous!!!

So if i can squeeze 2/3 movies for people onto 1 dvdr with a menu etc then HEY HEY, all the better. Now I'm a newbie but based on the 4.7 GIG storage would I be right to say that MAXIMUM 4 movies on a dvdr if their of (s)vcd or avi origins ????

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:40 am  Post subject:
a member of the recently deceased

paul-scream22
?!
i burned 4 dvd-r's already
and every dvd-+r - 7 avi's

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:03 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Look at you PrayeR - dvd writer for one day and acting like a dvdr master :wink: LOL

Sorry my above post is making dvd compatible discs playable in a stand-alone dvd player.

I can get 7 avis on a dvdr but I'm asking how many good quality movies you can get on a dvdr to play on a dvd player!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:25 am  Post subject:

ok, then i dunno i dont have DVD player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:32 pm  Post subject:

The Practice Girl
Location: Back in the glistening folds of Barbara Bush's Twat
Quote:
paul-scream22 Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:03 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can get 7 avis on a dvdr but I'm asking how many good quality movies you can get on a dvdr to play on a dvd player!

My experience with that is about 3 at the same quality that you would have the avi file.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:40 pm  Post subject:

with -R when i jump to random time in the movie - it begins to play with x2 (i think) speed, than in 4-5 sec. it drops to normal speed.

with +R - dont have that effect.
different avi's, codecs.
but with -R - yep
with +R - nope
that's not critical. but just difference between them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:44 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
DxaKrator wrote:
Quote:
paul-scream22 Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:03 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My experience with that is about 3 at the same quality that you would have the avi file.
With what technique DxaKrator. I'm going for the DJ Benz method of SVCD2DVD with cinecraft encoder?

But if you have a better whay of putting 3+ movies on a dvdr from avi/(s)vcd source would appreciate some tips :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:03 pm  Post subject:

The Practice Girl
Basically this method
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/svcddvdr.htm

Just convert your avi first with tmpenc using pretty much the same bitrate.Just set your settings right with audio and such to make them compliant to dvd standards..The only real prob I have ever had is with the audio and that was from a less than quality source.the DvD patcher fools the movie factory into thinking to encode at the setting you have instead of trying to convert.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:33 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
DxaKrator wrote:
Basically this method

Just convert your avi first with tmpenc using pretty much the same bitrate.Just set your settings right with audio and such to make them compliant to dvd standards..The only real prob I have ever had is with the audio and that was from a less than quality source.the DvD patcher fools the movie factory into thinking to encode at the setting you have instead of trying to convert.

As I've said before TMPGEnc sucks compared to CCE. It's about twice as slow, and you get jerky movement on long sweeping pan shots.

CCE also does perfect NTSC to PAL conversion, whereas TMPGEnc quality suffers. Believe me Dxa, once I discovered the CCE route to converting avi's I never looked back. I've seen TMPGEnc take up to 16 hours to convert an avi, CCE has never taken more than 4. Also it has enough power to deal with audio problems etc.

I learned a lot about how to fix audio synch problems when I used to use TMPGEnc (hence my website), but I kissed those goodbye when CCE came along!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:28 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
PrayeR wrote:
with -R when i jump to random time in the movie - it begins to play with x2 (i think) speed, than in 4-5 sec. it drops to normal speed.

with +R - dont have that effect.
different avi's, codecs.
but with -R - yep
with +R - nope
that's not critical. but just difference between them.

that sounds like a buffer issue, by the sounds of those symptoms id' says it's a minor flaw in your burner, in that it has buffer problems with -r media. The difference in burning +-r isn't negliable, the only difference is how -+rw media is burnt, I think the method +rw burning is preferable but I'm not up to date with all the info. The end result is the same though.

Check for firmware updates for your drive, that might sort the buffer issue. It does not do that with my pioneer 105 unless I use the ata channel heavily whilst doing it, but this is exactly the same with cd-rw. The computer's ability to handle it goes down with the number of devices using the ide channel.

I think that made sense, or at least it did to me. I can't give u more details on this because I lack the technical knowledge, but google will probably yeild a greater depth if needed. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:14 pm  Post subject:

Spud
i dont think so
my burner is good. just becouse it's Pioner with box from Teac
i have 1Gb DDR memory and udma5 hdd's
and buffer is always full.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:38 pm  Post subject:

The Practice Girl
Quote:
DJBenz Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:33 pm Post subject:

DxaKrator wrote:
Basically this method

As I've said before TMPGEnc sucks compared to CCE. It's about twice as slow, and you get jerky movement on long sweeping pan shots.

CCE also does perfect NTSC to PAL conversion, whereas TMPGEnc quality suffers. Believe me Dxa, once I discovered the CCE route to converting avi's I never looked back. I've seen TMPGEnc take up to 16 hours to convert an avi, CCE has never taken more than 4. Also it has enough power to deal with audio problems etc.

I learned a lot about how to fix audio synch problems when I used to use TMPGEnc (hence my website), but I kissed those goodbye when CCE came along

Yeah I was wanting to try that..I am all for a new prog that works right...I haven't had any real probs with tmpenc except the time issue that you mentioned..But I am going to give it a shot since I got a fresh system to work from now..16 hours does suck bigtime :x Thanks for the advice DJ :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:22 am  Post subject:

Spud
so if i will take DVD - i will be able to copy it to DVD-R?
becouse many DVD have 4Gb, 4.5Gb of data. of course i saw DVD's with 6Gb, saw 7Gb DVD's
so i can copy DVD9 with size of data less or eq. to 4.7Gb on DVD-R without any quality loss?

i am lamer in such thigz. i think (of course i might be wrong) that all DVD r copy-protected. does Pinacle (possible worng spelling) makes copy of such DVD's?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:55 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
PrayeR dvd burners can only burn to disks of maximum size 4.7 GIG.

The majority of movie discs are protected from piracy in 2 ways:

1. They are encrypted
2. They are on dual layered 9 GIG discs!

So in order to copy to a dvdr(4.7 GIG) you have to first rip the dvd to your hard drive, removing the encryption. then use a tool like pinnacle instant copy, dvd squeeze (not recommended) or dvd shrink etc.... to lower the compression of the video files so they fit on the smaller discs.

Quality loss isn't that noticable as these progs do it automaticallly so you ge tthe best quality for the space on your dvdr.

I've used dvdxcopy express to rip just the film and I can't tell the differenc ebetween a 9GIG film and the copy on my 4.7 GIG disc :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:47 am  Post subject:

paul-scream22
tnx!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:45 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
OK, i've been messing about with all the suggestions.

instant Copy is pretty cool, with alot of functionality, although ddvvd2one seems like a really great one click app. Have done 3 dvds with it and the quality is great.

But this whole avi to dvd conversion. Have managed to encode the avi into dvd compliant mpeg2 stream. but how do i get it onto a dvd???

Have tried nero but it wonj't let me just burn a movie to disc it forces you to create a menu etc.

I have an mpeg file I want to burn as a dvd movie only (i.e ifo bup n vob) without any fancy arse menu n subs n languages?

Any-one know how this is done. As all dvd authoring appz use menus :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:26 am  Post subject:

The Practice Girl
Just a question here....How is TMPGEnc DVD Author compared to CCE?I haven't tried that program and would like to see if anyone else has any suggestions.Seems no matter what you have to convert down to mpeg-2 state in order to fit 3 movies on a dvd.I already know how to do this, it's just I want to find the fastest and easiest way possible.Hard to find info on putting 3 on a dvd at least where I am looking..maybe someone with some links?Clone DVD works like a charm though..wish I could just add 2 or 3 Video_ts folders together and then shrink it..if that is even possible.Ok..I guess that was more than one question :P

Quote:
But this whole avi to dvd conversion. Have managed to encode the avi into dvd compliant mpeg2 stream. but how do i get it onto a dvd???

Best way I have found is to patch it with DvD patcher and then use Ulead DVD moviefactory 2 to transcode it into VOB files.There is probably a better way and a smarter way..but that is what I have done and it works.Not sure if CCE does that as I haven't used tohte prog yet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:48 am  Post subject:

Site Admin
don't neglect clonedvd ;) Give it a try, very newbie interface with advanced controls.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:40 am  Post subject:

The Practice Girl
I am trying out the tmpenc dvd authoring right now...very quick on the creation of mpg files...we will see how fast and how good the joining goes though..Will keep you updated.I use clone to shrink the dvd's that need it or strip out the crap I don't need then stick it through the dvd authorer at the moment...Your right though spud...clone is definately the way to go if you are just transfering dvd to dvd without trying to get anything more out of it,I am very impressed with that program :mrgreen: As far as advanced features go...well..I haven't gotten that advanced yet :oops: