Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:21 am  Post subject: Help, Please for the love of something!!!! (PCI Card Issue)

Blood Sucking Freak
...ok i`ll start at the end....

...went to my mates house and he was building a computer for another mate, this pc had a Terratec DMX6 Fire sound card.

The guy who was buying the said pc didnt need the card (it`s a two piece with a breakout box) and the board has a built-in which is fine for him as he only uses it for browsing and listening to tunes, so i bought it.

I removed it from that PC (400W PSU, Asus A7N8XE, GF5500) where it was confirmed working under XP, through several reboots.

Numerous hours later and 150 miles away, installing it later in the only pc of my own i have access to at present (not on site) (500W PSU, Asus A206E, GF5600) the pc no longer POST`s, this happens in any of the PCI slots PCI 1-5, there is no response at all from the monitor (aside from the "no signal" message vanishing. The monitor remains black and the POST doesnt continue. There are NO BEEPS of any kind, long, short or otherwise.

While in this state all devices in the case appear to be powered up but nothing then happens.....

.......then if you remove the DMX6 Card then the PC boots fine, i figured that there might be some conflict or other with the video card (its an AGP 8x running in 4x mode, but hasnt presented any other problems) so i rooted out an old Nvidia 32mb 4x card and swapped out the video cards........no dice same problem.....unplugged everything except the fans, memory, video card, DMX6 card (in PCI 1) and nothing.....this was repeated from PCI`s 1-5 all producing the same result, everything seems to be recieving power, including the front panel for the DMX6...

....Nothing, the monitor sort of half wakes up and then nothing happens...

...and all returns to normal when the DMX card is removed.....

**** TIME FADE +6HRS ****

...i`m just more than a touch pissed off about this now and out of ideas, and as i cant test the card in a different machine for several weeks i was wondering if anyone had a clue as to what the issue is...

.......i cant think of anything else thats might be relevant but if anyone can think of something then i`d be bloody made up......

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:30 pm  Post subject:

Dead But Dreaming
Well, I guess one obvious thing would be if there was an onboard
sound device it would need to be disabled. It appears that you
have re-seated the card several times, eliminated the PSU as a
problem (500W is plenty of power). What is the make and model
of the motherboard? I assume that A206E is a burner? I couldn't
find a reference to it on Asus' web site.

I'm really not familiar with
that sound card. I did a little reading and it looks really powerful.
Perhaps there is an incompatibility with the motherboard. Sorry I
can't be more help...

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:50 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
Definately sounds like the soundcard isnt supported on your board. You could try emailing the board manufacturer stating your issues. If the board is new enough theyre likely to fix it in the next bios revision.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:10 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
....disabled the onboard sound ages ago....

.....its an Asus board but i cant remeber the model.......it`s old tho.....
...takes upto Athlon XP 2800.

There dosent seem to be much(non-confusing) info on the net...it just seems some boards/BIOS assign the IRQ`s for both the AGP and PCI bus a touch "loosely" and create some form of conflict..

Unfortunatley, the BIOS on my board is the latest available......oh and yeah my board isnt on ASUS`s website anymore CAUSE ITS TOO OLD!!!!!!

Which in reality is about 3 1/2 years......meh!

.....looks like i`m buying a new board, which of course these days will probably mean board/cpu/memory........and fucking SATA...

....and the latest board my mate bought cant even boot from IDE!

...now i guess this is why i`ve always used a mac for cubase/logic before.

so failing a miracle or my figuring out how to manipulate the IRQ steering in this machines abacus of a BIOS...it appears i`m outta luck.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:56 pm  Post subject:

The Ancient One
I think youre overestimating the cost of an upgrade.

AM2 Athlon is relatively new & in my opinion sucks as you lose 1 IDE socket. I'd suggest to you to look on ebay for a 2nd hand socket 939 Athlon 64 board & chip. If youre already using DDR brilliant as it will work in any 939 board but if youre using SDRAM then there are boards available that take both types of memory. This will slow up your immediate costs as you can then upgrade the ram as & when youve managed to save up for it. I'd guess you could get from ebay a sock939 athlon64 3500+ & a good board in the region of around £100 or less.

If your friend cant boot from IDE on his new board then hes not set his bios up correctly. SATA is not forced upon you even on AM2 although its the direction to go in if youre replacing drives. Buy SATA2. If youve never tried 2x SATA2 300 drives in RAID stripe then you wont understand how incredibly fast they are, but if you buy any sock 939 nforce 4 chipset board there will be at least 4, maybe 8 sata sockets on the board along with the standard 2 IDE.

One other thing to take into consideration when you buy the board.. PCI-Express or AGP Gfx cards. 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:24 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
the point was that this pc (that i was stickin the dmx6 into) was to be built out of parts that i already own.

i have 120gig hdd`s and a case, etc grpahics card isnt really important cos its basicly gonna be a pc for cubase/reason/storm, etc

i was hoping that i could use all the parts that i both already have and that physically fit together without having to resort to the black magic of setting up IRQ steering myself....

...cheers for all the input, i`m gonna let this one slide a while and maybe update one of my other PC`s and use the board from that for the "cubase" pc.

once again cheers for the input.....