Why not register?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:22 pm  Post subject: Another HHAH member with DVD-R - Tips Please!

The Devil, Probably
Well my NEC DVD+/-/R/RW drive arrived!

Couldn't be happier with it. can burn 6/7 avi's in one go freeing up 4 GIG, and in only 20 minutes :mrgreen:

Anyway. I'm not a lamer (or lazy) but i know Spud and PC_Arcade have dvdr's so am posting to ask:

What do you guys do about copying full dvds (with menus, extras etc) like a 1:1 copy?

I know dvd's are dvd9 and blanks are dvd5 so you can't just do the old on the fly copy.

I got dvd xcopy express and that converts the film only, really well. But i won't to copy all the disc.

So rather then wasting dvd's trying the numerous techniques, what do you guys use?

I'm not asking for a detailed guide, I can find them (doom9 / dvdrhelp etc) just a point in the right direction.

Oh and spud delete this if it's against forum rules. But I genuinely wanna back-up my OWN dvd's coz I'm sick of my anchorbay out of print discs getting scratched.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:34 pm  Post subject: Re: Another HHAH member with DVD-R - Tips Please!

Mod of the Living Dead
paul-scream22 wrote:

Couldn't be happier with it. can burn 6/7 avi's in one go freeing up 4 GIG, and in only 20 minutes :mrgreen:

Anyway. I'm not a lamer (or lazy) but i know Spud and PC_Arcade have dvdr's so am posting to ask:

What do you guys do about copying full dvds (with menus, extras etc) like a 1:1 copy?

I know dvd's are dvd9 and blanks are dvd5 so you can't just do the old on the fly copy.

I got dvd xcopy express and that converts the film only, really well. But i won't to copy all the disc.

So rather then wasting dvd's trying the numerous techniques, what do you guys use?

I'm not asking for a detailed guide, I can find them (doom9 / dvdrhelp etc) just a point in the right direction.

Oh and spud delete this if it's against forum rules. But I genuinely wanna back-up my OWN dvd's coz I'm sick of my anchorbay out of print discs getting scratched.

Sorry Paul, I can't help, I've NEVER backed up a DVD in my life, mine or otherwise, I'd always xvid the bugger ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:13 pm  Post subject:
a member of the recently deceased

Location: Hell ___________________________ ------ Horror Dealer ------
I was just ripping the WHOLE dvd to my HD with Smartripper, then burning all those files to DVDR.

Only works with dvd's that are less than 4.7 gig of course.=)

You could try Nero6's option to copy DVD's.
Never tried it though, and haven't heard much about it.

Also, this is really good new for use as well.=)
Seems they'll be pretty pricey, but I'll wait.=)

http://www.dvdrw.com/press/duallayer.htm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:41 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Paul,

You want a program called DVDShrink, available from http://www.dvdshrink.org

It's an absolute piece of piss to use, and I've done a number of backups with it. It rips the files for you, then gives you a screen where you can set the compression for each video/audio stream of a DVD-9 until they will fit on a DVD-5.

Even with everythin compressed to level 8 (max) the disc is still well watchable, and best of all the prog is free!!

Go ripping baby!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:31 pm  Post subject:

Site Admin
dvdshrink is inferior in everyway to Pinaccle instant copy, avoid it imo. All it is is faster but shit quality in comparison. Pinnacle instant copy is quite slow but pretty decent. The new version of CloneDVD is recommended too, but DVDshrink doesn't hit the mark although it is very small, free and fast, but unfortunately that counts for notheing really as everything is free on the net ;)

Everything needs to go through DVDdecryptor first to make region free and demacroise, and DVD-5s can be burnt with it too. Freeware :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:57 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Does Pinnacle do the re-sizing too?

I'll have to try it out if that's the case. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:07 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
spudthedestroyer wrote:
dvdshrink is inferior in everyway to Pinaccle instant copy, avoid it imo. All it is is faster but shit quality in comparison. Pinnacle instant copy is quite slow but pretty decent. The new version of CloneDVD is recommended too, but DVDshrink doesn't hit the mark although it is very small, free and fast, but unfortunately that counts for notheing really as everything is free on the net ;)

Everything needs to go through DVDdecryptor first to make region free and demacroise, and DVD-5s can be burnt with it too. Freeware :)

Links please ;)
Then even I migt give it a go ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:26 pm  Post subject:

dvd-rw drivers r cheap already?
:-/
and how with life of dvd-r's?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:19 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Cheers guys :mrgreen:

Ok will get dvd shrink and pinnacle instant copy and try em out for myself. Although Spud, what you say is spot on with internet reviews.

dvdshrink scores high for speed but is out dated and not good on the compression.

Pinacle instant copy is slower but rocks :mrgreen:

But if you use it DJ Benz that maybe it's ok for doing quick copys. I'm still going to ghive it a try.

Again thanks Guys, and PrayeR having a dvdr is amazing. Like a said above in one single burn you can free up 5GIG of hard drive space and the prices are dropping!!!

cdr sucks :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:45 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
paul-scream22 wrote:
But if you use it DJ Benz that maybe it's ok for doing quick copys. I'm still going to ghive it a try.

Yeah, it's all I've used it for to be honest. I'm gonna try out Pinnacle myself and see what it's like too.

Beware freeing up all this HDD space, you'll never get round to watching what you sownload!! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:07 pm  Post subject:

hmm, i dunno... spend 200 euro on recorder?
i am sure Verbatium CD-r's will live long enough
(cheap cd-r's die in 1 year usualy)

so again. what is life time of dvd-r's?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:50 pm  Post subject: Re: Another HHAH member with DVD-R - Tips Please!

Dead But Dreaming
paul-scream22 wrote:

NEC ND-1300A i presume? I've got one myself and is very pleased with it..

Something you should know though, this drive will only burn on media in it's database, so you probably want to update the firmware once in a while for it to support more (cheap) discs..

v1.08 is available here

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:09 am  Post subject:

wow, they r cheap already
DVD R -R/-RW Toshiba SD-R5112 - 100.86 euro
DVD R-RW Teac DV-W50EK Bulk - 119.83 euro
DVD R+RW +R ND NEC RW 1100 bulk - 111.21 euro
DVD R+RW Mitsumi DW-7801TE 4x2.4x12 Bulk - 112.07 euro
DVD R+RW/R-RW ND NEC 1300 Bulk - 116.38 euro
DVD R-RW Toshiba SD-R5002 - 85.34 euro
DVD RW Philips 208K 2,5x/8x - 76.72

well, Sony and Pioner - 160-170

any good babys in that list?
and what means all that stuff - R-RW,R+RW and so on?
ffs... i just not so long ago bought Plextor DVD-rom.. what to do with it now?!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:41 am  Post subject: Re: Another HHAH member with DVD-R - Tips Please!

The Devil, Probably
Death wrote:
paul-scream22 wrote:

Something you should know though, this drive will only burn on media in it's database, so you probably want to update the firmware once in a while for it to support more (cheap) discs..

v1.08 is available here
Too late Death :(

Had major troubles with the media I had bought, damn drive wouldn't burn it. But updated the firmware and have bought several brands and they all work fine. But yeah unless it's in the firmware database NEC 1300A won't write!!!

But thanks for the heads up! Might double check I've got the latest version :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:45 am  Post subject:

The Practice Girl
Location: Back in the glistening folds of Barbara Bush's Twat
I picked up a Sony dru-500ax about a year ago and have no real problems copying from dvd to dvd..main thing is taking out the stinking macrovision.I have used dvd decrypter and then just burned the Video Ts file and it worked fine...now converting Divx..that is another story and completely tedious to do since they all got to be Mpeg2 compliant with a 48000 audio.That can take some time...what I have mainly used it for is just big assed data disks that I dump 4.7 onto real quick since i can watch divx on the TV anyways.Mainly what I have discovered in programs is that it is sort of like emule where you find the best one that works with your OS.I mainly use Ulead movie factory 2 for alot of work...but convert with tmpenc+ to the compliant files.
Someone will probably write saying that I am all wrong but that is my story and I am sticking to it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:00 am  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
a lot of my old cd's are starting to peel/fuck up, metalic paint flakes off making them unreadable. iwas thinking of buying a dvd writer today.

can you put like 5 or so svcd/vcds on a dvd and have them be able to play in a regular dvd player? that's what i would want to do, maybe have a menu to pick 'halloween 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. has anybody done that?

'I thought it was obvious, you sillly girl.
I'm a monster. I do monstrous things.'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:10 am  Post subject:

ffs, sluts! answer on my question! :matrix: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:45 am  Post subject: Re: Another HHAH member with DVD-R - Tips Please!

Mod of the Living Dead
paul-scream22 wrote:
Death wrote:
paul-scream22 wrote:

v1.08 is available here
Too late Death :(

Had major troubles with the media I had bought, damn drive wouldn't burn it. But updated the firmware and have bought several brands and they all work fine. But yeah unless it's in the firmware database NEC 1300A won't write!!!

But thanks for the heads up! Might double check I've got the latest version :wink:

Bugger that, use herries Firmware, it supports pretty much everything (unlike NEC who pick and choose what media to support!) and unlocks ripping at more than 2x :) I've used it since day 1 and have never had a problem :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:48 am  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
PrayeR wrote:
ffs, sluts! answer on my question! :matrix: :lol:

It's not in your list but but the NEC-1300A is pretty damn fine (and cheap too!)

+- are two (competing) standards (like VHS and Betamax) both have advantages and disadvantages, but it looks like + is starting to win out.

r/rw - write /rewrite

Happy now? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:52 am  Post subject: Re: Another HHAH member with DVD-R - Tips Please!

The Devil, Probably
Death wrote:
paul-scream22 wrote:

v1.08 is available here

Me TOO got this one :mrgreen:

I say we now make this a dvd-r club ; "prayer not allowed "

no seriously , I got it 4 weeks now and still haven't got around burning a single DVD :lol: :lol: :lol:

I needed a dvd reader in the first place to rip stuff, but seeing how dirt cheap this nec was AND -/+, I figured what the hell.......

So are we now gonna release things on dvd-r format ? Most horror movies are dvd-5 content ESPECIALLY the cheap/cheesy shit..