Why not register?

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:45 am  Post subject: Warning: Nothing to Output Bframe Decoder Lag

Blood Sucking Freak
So I was bored tonight so I tried loading the two movies I ripped with XviD into VDub and I got this error message (well not an error message really...that's what it says in the preview pane). What the hell is that all about? I can't find anything wrong with the avi files and they play fine. Is this going to cause anyone who wants to re-encode the avi problems or is it just some weird VDub incompatability thing. I notice the message goes away and it plays fine if you preview.

Edit: Hmm...neither DVD2SVCD or TMPGEnc seem to have a problem with it. *shrug*

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:33 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Blimey :o - that's quite a techie....coming from a woman :o :o :o

Excuse my sexist remark :twisted: I'll make up for it by claiming you've got more brain cells than half the board members put together *throws kerosine in all directions*

Anyway the best I could find in 5 mins is this thread, not a solution by any means....but some leads.....

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/44135

Frankly I think you just run into a bug of some flawed or outofdate built, or if you're using GKOT there's always some programm not working 100% correctly with one of it's other tools.....

Last edited by ohgodnotanotherone on Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:36 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Ah crap...my geek is showing again. :oops::P

Thanks for your input. I'm thinking it's just a problem with VirtualDub not knowing how to handle the b-frames. I'm going to do a couple of test encodes using TMPGEnc and DVD2SVCD (w/CCE) so when people start bitching I can either:

1) Assure them with confidence that there is nothing wrong with the file and they can encode as usual, or...

2) Have a workaround ready for them

I suppose I should try frameserving it from VDub to TMPGEnc too so I can see just how deep the error runs in VDub.

Heh...would you believe that I am pretty much self taught in all of this encoding/converting crap and about a month and a half ago my own posts would have looked like a foreign language. Gawd...not only am I a geek, but I'm like a geek sponge. One day remind me to explain the flawless PAL <=> NTSC method I devised when all of the "guides" I found didn't do what I needed them to do (or came out looking or sounding like shit). :P

Addix!! Breaking blonde stereotypes everywhere!!:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:34 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Why am I a geek ......grrrrrrr...... :Spud:

I am however a complete and utter idiot for not PASTING the thread I was referring to in the post .... :googley:

anyway ...fixed now......it's no magic cure though...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:22 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
ohgodnotanotherone wrote:
Why am I a geek ......grrrrrrr...... :Spud:

I am however a complete and utter idiot for not PASTING the thread I was referring to in the post .... :googley:

anyway ...fixed now......it's no magic cure though...
Well my codec isn't the problem. I'll just play around with it and see how big of an issue it really is. It's just annoying the hell out of me because that just looks UUUGLY. Black screen with oversized white letters all looking like a flashback to the days of Colecovision.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:22 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Hang on - I just found something on a german site - but my german is bit rusty....

Check your fourCC setting in the xvid codec...

any gemans wanna translate this http://doom9.gleitz.de/showthread.php?t=7640 page ?

EDIT : I read somewhere else that it was quite normal for MPEG 4 and b frames......no eplanation given though..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:39 pm  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Well I babelfished it and I could understand it...kind of. What is the German equivalent of Engrish? :P

"that can happen with b-Frames already first times. But no fear - the video is already correct. Only VirtualDub is hardly suitable to still work on videos later with b-Frames. Is simply because of it that the AVI format is actually suitable, to store videos with which the strip mosaic sequence does not correspond to the decoding sequence (where thus only times the picture after the next admits be must, before the current can be decoded)."

That makes me feel a little better about it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:31 am  Post subject:

Blood Sucking Freak
Well I just did a full conversion from avi to SVCD with no problems at all. It came out absolutely perfect so I'm not going to worry about it. The avi files play fine in media players and can be encoded fine for use with a stand alone DVD. I guess there's nothing to worry about.

Whew!!

I went ahead and disabled b frames for future rips though. I'm sure this is going to cause some confusion.

Thanks for your help ohgodnotanotherone! Btw, since I'm lazy, do you mind if I call you ohgod from now on? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:56 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Resurrected!

I have a downloaded 2 CD movie giving the same error in Vdub when I open it. I joined the two halves, converted with DVD2SCVD & CCE, then pulled it into DVD-Lab to author.

Problem is, DVD-Lab complains bitterly about the audio stream and refuses to compile. This is the 1st time I've had this problem, and the first time vdub has shown this error. Any way to remove the error before encoding?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:41 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
DJBenz wrote:
Resurrected!

I have a downloaded 2 CD movie giving the same error in Vdub when I open it. I joined the two halves, converted with DVD2SCVD & CCE, then pulled it into DVD-Lab to author.

Problem is, DVD-Lab complains bitterly about the audio stream and refuses to compile. This is the 1st time I've had this problem, and the first time vdub has shown this error. Any way to remove the error before encoding?

Well shit DJ i don't think none of us over here knows... :lol:

maybe try a different (older) version of vdub ....or nandub...

Think it's really a question best suited for a DVDlabs forum though :?

In desperation you might try demuxing both cds , joining the 2 mp3's , then join the 2 avi's , and then then mux the lot together...
Probably need to resynch......
Nothing special there , but maybe if you reencode the joined mp3 to a slightly lower bitrate ....it just might do the trick :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:09 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Mmmm, I did try the demuxing malarkey but it was a no-go. Found something on Doom9 suggesting chopping off the 1st frame as that's the one that causes the error in Vdub.

Impact on audio sync should be undetectable and it might solve my problem.

Thanks for taking a stab though, I find it's always best to ask here first as there's a lot of knowledge floating about. Plus, hhah people don't speak in Doom9 language, which is very hard to understand sometimes. :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:12 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
IIRC, its to do with audio being encoded for streaming, you need to demux the mpg then re mux the sound using tmpgenc as the stream is setup for streaming mpg video by default and tmpgenc will ensure it's compliant.

I could well be waay out on that, but I had a simillar problem once and that fixed it.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:52 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
:matrix: TMPGEnc

I'll only use that prog now as a last resort.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:04 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
Even the last resort didn't work. I tried converting with TMPGEnc and outputting individual audio and video streams, but it seems if I do this, the audio stream is about 7 seconds shorter than the video. :o

Obviously, when they are muxed back together in DVD-Lab the sound starts off OK, but then goes way out of synch toward the end of the movie. :(

Tried extracting a WAV in Vdub before converting and got the same problem.

Trimming the first frame off the movie with Vdub also didn't help. Still got the same error when I opened the trimmed file. Just as a check is this how to trim a frame off the movie :

1. Open in Vdub
2. Go to frame 1 (Frame 0 being the first frame)
3. Set selection start at frame 1
4. Go to end of movie - set selection end
5. Save as AVI (direct stream copy - new filename)

I also tried masking frame 0 by setting selection start as frame 0 and end as frame 1, then save as AVI.

What am I doing wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:01 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
:oops: Guess the great minds of HHAH don't know :oops:

:P But we are wise to know a place where you should find your answer :P

the more or less official ( let's say dedicated) dvdlab forum/boards :

http://www.mmbforums.com/modules.php?na ... wforum&f=9

And for the pro version :

http://www.mmbforums.com/modules.php?na ... forum&f=24

Seek a wiseman there :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:58 pm  Post subject:

The Devil, Probably
It's not a DVDLab problem. The Video and audio streams are differing lengths BEFORE importing into DVDLab.

It was a Vdub question. :?

Or a 'How do I remove the first frame froma movie with Vdub' question.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:12 pm  Post subject:

Mod of the Living Dead
The way you quoted in your earlier post is right DJ, out of interest, is it possible that the video and audio are differrent frame rates?